New JaS DVD (AMD, INTEL SSE2, SSE3)

NemoKOF

455 posts in this topic

JaS thank you verry much for all your hard work in making it happen many times :D

Verry sad that you are leaving but on the otherhand also understandable

Edited by XNT

is this : JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf (638mb)

working with JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso ? (the last DVD was released for intel only)

cause i would like to patch it if it can work with AMD

but i guess its a patch only for the DVD was released 4 days ago?

just asking cause 630mb are better than 4gb and i would like to test something more in 10.4.8 than tubgirl's (work's well)

OK, I'm just about to try it myself. I have an old 10.4.6 upgraded to 10.4.8 already on here, working (except for the wireless and full nVidia 6800 Go support). Didn't dawn on me until now that this is a full install DVD - can I slap this on top of the old one or could I expect problems? Luckily because I couldn't get better than 1024x768 I haven't done much of anything with it, but if I had, I'd be stuck right now. I suppose I'll find out regardless, but since I'm about an hour away from getting into it, thought someone would have an experience to share.

Sounds like the video stuff works without having to edit kext files... hmmmm!

T.I.A.

-C

Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop, 2 gigs RAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 Go

HEY, you sound like me!

my post was. ..

Anyway, I have 10.4.6 stable as pie (is pie stable) but have audio/video apps that I do NOT want to lose.

My mother board is Intel and CPU D930 (dual core), and I asked a few weeks ago about updating, and got a few replies but

the replies all pointed to the same place where there is so much information overload, I don't know where to begin.

From 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 was rather easy using a few terminal commands.....but going from 10.4.6 to .4.8 seems like there are so many options that I for once, ok, more than once, am at a loss.

Will this DVD work out of the box? My fear is losing all my apps and having to wipe the HD as I now use it to do work and the reason I want .8 is to try the Fireworks and Photoshop UB beta's which you can only do with 10.4.8.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

ALSO, what is the exact name of the file and will it work out of box, no tweaks and best place to find still demoid?

Names and info on slapdown over 10.4.6 appreacited!

:P

Ok so after reading some of the issues I think natit is a cause of panics and issues , also networking and wifi . I have repacked some things to try and fix these issues

here is the info for the ppf I am relesing should be up soon

JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf

Whats changed in this ppf

Repacked intel and amd pkgs to try and fix some networking issues ppl were having + removed natit (as it is causing some users to have panics ) and added in titan

Also added some commands to be sure you guys don't have permission issues post install on the kexts.

thank you greatly for all your hard work JaS. i'd be stating the obvious by saying that we all are in debt to your efforts. hope life forward treats you well.

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

Thought I'd report on installing the dvd with the ppf patch. Tried it on my AMD X2 3800+ with a XFX Geforce 7800GT, 2GB ram, 1 IDE disk and Dell widescreen 20" connected with DVI. I picked the AMD pack, all of the additional drivers, and titan. The install went fine but on reboot the welcome screen was the wrong resolution. It was just a thin strip in the middle of the monitor. After the movie played it mentioned it wanted to detect my keyboard and I had to click ok with the mouse. Unfortunately my mouse pointer didnt appear to I was unable to click ok, and no keys worked. Think I've given up on this system and will try to get network working on my Intel 845G I mentioned earlier.

Edited by indiekiduk

O 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso (4.37GB)

- sse2 (?)

- sse3 (?)

O JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso(4.37GB)

- sse2 ( beta9 , s5 , 4,062KB , 2006-12-10 )

- sse3 ( beta8 , mach_kernel , 4,050KB , 2006-11-27 )

Does someone know the kernels? Is it right? How to confirm the kernels(version_date)?

So even with the patched iso, I'm not booting. However, I haven't (yet) tried unselecting Titan for nv40 or Powersaving features for laptops. But as of my last try, the installer gets pretty far, then throws up the big "reboot now, hold down the power button" message. Not sure if that's normal with this install....? Regardless, if I try to boot normally after that, I get the same message. I managed a whole ONE time to get F8 to bring up the options. This is how far it got in verbose (-v) mode:

P1100147.JPG

Any ideas? Plugging in the ethernet didn't help (since it appears DNS is the last thing to load I figured "oh, maybe it's that obvious" - nope).

So even with the patched iso, I'm not booting. However, I haven't (yet) tried unselecting Titan for nv40 or Powersaving features for laptops. But as of my last try, the installer gets pretty far, then throws up the big "reboot now, hold down the power button" message. Not sure if that's normal with this install....? Regardless, if I try to boot normally after that, I get the same message. I managed a whole ONE time to get F8 to bring up the options. This is how far it got in verbose (-v) mode:

P1100147.JPG

Any ideas? Plugging in the ethernet didn't help (since it appears DNS is the last thing to load I figured "oh, maybe it's that obvious" - nope).

Is the laptop you installing to the same as in your signature? If so I can verify that the JaS DVD works perfectly on that hardware. I have everything working properly on my 9300 (same specs as yours).

What you do need to do though to get passed the bit that is hanging is edit the NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResMan.kext to haev the PCI ID of the GeForce 6800 GO. This involves booting to safe mode (press F8) and the boot with "-s".

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35422

Just do the part that edits those 2 files. Skip the rest and the PCI ID you want in the string section is 0x00c810de

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dense

Thought I'd report on installing the dvd with the ppf patch. Tried it on my AMD X2 3800+ with a XFX Geforce 7800GT, 2GB ram, 1 IDE disk and Dell widescreen 20" connected with DVI. I picked the AMD pack, all of the additional drivers, and titan. The install went fine but on reboot the welcome screen was the wrong resolution. It was just a thin strip in the middle of the monitor. After the movie played it mentioned it wanted to detect my keyboard and I had to click ok with the mouse. Unfortunately my mouse pointer didnt appear to I was unable to click ok, and no keys worked. Think I've given up on this system and will try to get network working on my Intel 845G I mentioned earlier.

ONLY INSTALL THE DRIVERS YOU NEED , DRIVERS YOU DONT NEED CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL CAUSE ISSUES LIKE THE ONES YOUR HAVING.

Sorry about the caps but I mean really ppl,why WHY would you install drivers for hardware you do not have ......

patch o matic keeps crashing, and all i have is a working mac, so is there any other way to patch the iso?

Anyone else having problems, use the command version of ApplyPPF that Jas included with the patch. (much more reliable)

Syntax is as easy as ApplyPPF a original.iso patch.ppf ( the a is the option to add the patch )

Is the laptop you installing to the same as in your signature? If so I can verify that the JaS DVD works perfectly on that hardware. I have everything working properly on my 9300 (same specs as yours).

What you do need to do though to get passed the bit that is hanging is edit the NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResMan.kext to haev the PCI ID of the GeForce 6800 GO. This involves booting to safe mode (press F8) and the boot with "-s".

Just do the part that edits those 2 files. Skip the rest and the PCI ID you want in the string section is 0x00c810de

Hope that helps.

Yeah that's the one and only system I'm trying to do right now. So.... awesome, I was hoping to find someone "current" with a 9300. :( So yeah, I totally forgot about these instructions, but since it saw the GeForce at one point in the log I figured I was good to go.

Something occurred to me as I was jotting down the locations... if I haven't gotten to the point of setting the root password, what do I enter? Or... will it even ask me for one? Hrmmmmmm :unsure:

YES ! ! ! Clean and full functional Install.........Thanks JaS. Keepin the seeding alive on 2 machines :unsure:

Realy quick, JaS if your there or anyone else, any suggections on the Broadcom 57xx Ethernet setup? My Wireless (Dell 1470) works great, but the Broadcom does not show up. I tried the fix listed in past posts, but it locked the system up. So jsut for S and G's I reinstalled, but still no Broadcom 5xx Ethernet. Kind of at a loss now, but not like its killing me. :(

scratch that my wireless is not working, it shows up as a built-in ethernet and not a wireless. :) now i am scrathing my head. Looked at the wireless fix, but the en0 is not in the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Any suggestions? ? ? ?

Edited by Lowcash

Yeah that's the one and only system I'm trying to do right now. So.... awesome, I was hoping to find someone "current" with a 9300. :) So yeah, I totally forgot about these instructions, but since it saw the GeForce at one point in the log I figured I was good to go.

Something occurred to me as I was jotting down the locations... if I haven't gotten to the point of setting the root password, what do I enter? Or... will it even ask me for one? Hrmmmmmm :(

You won't enter a root password until you set up a user which occurs once the loginwindow starts. You should see that shortly if you followed my advice on fixing the Nvidia drivers.

You will also have a problem with the Ethernet driver, I have managed to recompile the Broadcom 440x for 10.4.8 and you should add this to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins. I have attached the kext to this post.

If you are willing to change your wireless card to an Atheros or Dell Truemobile, you will be able to get wireless going easily too. Highly recommend switching out the Intel card if you can afford to do so.

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.tar.gz

Hope that helps.

SUCCESS! :(

I followed that page and put the PCIMatch ID in (though diskutil repairPermissions / would not run. It just shot out a carriage return and sat there...?!) and it works! However, as before, if I bring up the system profiler and click on ATA (and others I think), it locks that app up. And if I try to restart it, it remains stuck. :) But I got my video! WOOHOO!

Thanks all (esp JaS and semthex)! I'll post more later, if I managed to get any pics that are worthwhile. :\

SUCCESS! :(

I followed that page and put the PCIMatch ID in (though diskutil repairPermissions / would not run. It just shot out a carriage return and sat there...?!) and it works! However, as before, if I bring up the system profiler and click on ATA (and others I think), it locks that app up. And if I try to restart it, it remains stuck. :) But I got my video! WOOHOO!

Thanks all (esp JaS and semthex)! I'll post more later, if I managed to get any pics that are worthwhile. :\

Did you install the 10.4.4 loginwindow that was an option in the installer? This needs to be installed.