New JaS DVD (AMD, INTEL SSE2, SSE3)

NemoKOF

455 posts in this topic

Did you install the 10.4.4 loginwindow that was an option in the installer? This needs to be installed.

Oh..... no. What's that for? I logged in! hehe

I guess I could go back through the installer and add that and do an Update..?

Welp, my nVidia is working great now. The 3d light show screensaver hauls ass, and an iTunes lightshow runs at about 57 fps. DVD played perfectly and all features were "enabled". But now......

my network isn't working :thumbsup_anim: (see my signature below). It worked with 10.4.6 patched to 10.4.8 but now it can't even find the ethernet adapter. Also, sleep mode wouldn't recover (or display stayed black, can't really tell which!).

Ideas? :)

Yesterday I reported that half of the kernel extension are PowerPC only. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=268924

Anyone any news on that?

FYI all rar files had correct CRC; md5's before patching and after patching also correct.

The installation went very smooth (FS Amilo Pro V3205), it just shuts down instead of restarting, otherwise both cores working (Core Duo), full QE/CI, azalia out (packages provided), SATA AHCI,.... I only had to find the intel (i.e. x86) kext for intel pro ve manually using pacifist (there were more of them, but intel-compatible one was inside the "backed extensions" folder of one of the install packages on the DVD). Installing that (and patching info.plist) gave me ethernet. IOnetworkingfamily.kext as itself is universal even out of the box, but the kexts inside its plugins folder are PowerPC.

It is more work to set up, but otherwise this DVD is actually a huge success! Everything is running faster than before. Thx to all who made this possible (esp. Jas, semthex and others involved).

Welp, my nVidia is working great now. The 3d light show screensaver hauls ass, and an iTunes lightshow runs at about 57 fps. DVD played perfectly and all features were "enabled". But now......

my network isn't working :( (see my signature below). It worked with 10.4.6 patched to 10.4.8 but now it can't even find the ethernet adapter. Also, sleep mode wouldn't recover (or display stayed black, can't really tell which!).

Ideas? :)

I answered this in my previous replies to you. I actually tried to preempt this question knowing this would be an issue.

first dvd not to work for me. when i boot from the cd i get waiting for root device or whateevr that error is. how do i apply the ppf patch on windows? and do i need the .iso? cuz i deleted mine. if yes, can i make an iso from my burned dvd and have that work?

Edited by Ashgotti

first dvd not to work for me. when i boot from the cd i get waiting for root device or whatever that error is. how do i apply the ppf patch on windows? and do i need the .iso? cuz i deleted mine. if yes, can i make an iso from my burned dvd and have that work?

Yes and no.

1. waiting for the root device means that the drivers on the DVD don't see/support your ATA/SATA controller, for whatever reason. Check your BIOS settings, look for hdd controller setup - there should be sth about native and compatibility mode. Try switching between those two. Or reorganize the HDDs and DVD-ROM connections (primary/secondary/tertiary/master/slave...) Need more info on that. (Actually most of these problems have been discussed here already so just search the forum for your particular controller!)

2. You have to make sure that the iso you will rip from the burned DVD is exactly bit-by-bit the same as the source one. Otherwise the patcher won't work. I heard someone had success with UltraISO. Image the DVD with this prog and do an md5 checksum on the iso using TotalCommander (File->Create CRC checksums and check the md5 checkbox). Compare the result with the checksum which the original iso had (md5 of that one can be found in this thread somewhere). If it is the same you can do the patching. With the ppf patch there is a windows patcher included, with nice GUI. Just look for it. I used it as well. Good luck.

Hey all.

I'm having the same problem as tcpx where loading the gui installer is hella slow and after install the system is somewhat unresponsive (although usable and stable).

I am using an AMD 3200+ on a GA-K8NF-9 motherboard with an nvidia chipset. I had previously installed the 10.4.7 JaS release and it wasn't this slow in the installer. Anyone else having a similar problem or know of a work around? I'm going to try disabling some things from the BIOS and changing the FSB to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

rami

Edited by ramijames

I couldn't even get to installing OSX, it just stayed at 1% on the verifying/checking Installation disc dialog box. It was excruciatingly slow.

I'm ready to give up, I just hosed a Linux install for this. But I wanted to re-install Linux anyway, since it was installed on another machine at first; I just transfered the HD to this machine.

You just have to be super patient and wait for it to do it's thing. It will finish eventually although it may take all night.

I think we have the same motherboard (GA-k8nF-9 nvidia chipset) and there is some sort of incompatibility with the latest tubgirl release and this one. I have a feeling it has to do with FSB settings. Not sure. I've turned off SATA drives in the BIOS and it makes no difference (i'm installing to vanilla IDE hard drive here).

JaS.. any idea what could be causing this?

Skip it.

Even getting to the gui installer can take as along as 30 minutes (the time it took for the ENTIRE install on the SAME machine using the last JaS release). It's not just slow.. it's slllloooooooowww :rolleyes:

Edited by ramijames

I tried skipping it, it just doesn't respond.

The drive continues to struggle reading the disc.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the burn quality anymore at this point. It has something to do with chipset/motherboard compatibility.

That is a problem and it should take like 5 minutes to do a disk check. You should not have to set any fsb=??? with the kernels in the latest DVDs, it could be the burn quality but I don't think thats likely. Burn the disks at 4x or less and skip the disk check.

Without going too off topic, all you guys need is the kernel and some forum searching

@ramijames, are you using a duel core processor by any chance???

Edited by joe75

I've gotten the PPF and patched the iso. Going to burn again (at the slowest speed again) and see how things go.

I haven't set anything to FSB=200, but I may try that. With the tub girl release it said that I had over 8gb of memory even though I only have 1.2. Perhaps I'll pull some sticks and see if that helps. Maybe this release doesn't like my memory configuration.

Edited by ramijames

The 10.4.8 JaS-AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 (non-patched) installed smoothly on my Toshiba notebook (T1350 Intel Core Solo with Centrino). Will the ppf patch resolve: Audio, wireless, ethernet and USB? If so, where can I download the patch torrent? Anyone have the link?

Thanks to JaS and everyone for making this happen!

I answered this in my previous replies to you. I actually tried to preempt this question knowing this would be an issue.

Gah! So you did! And I posted right under it! I better scroll more carefully next time :)

So I'll give your replacement BCM440x kext a try in a little bit, and yeah for $16 I think I'll swap the wireless card (do the other cards work better than the 2200BG by any chance? and... do you lose bluetooth or is that on a separate chip/card?)

After that it leaves sleep mode I believe, which doesn't surprise me it's borked. Besides, what's the fun of fixing everything at once? hehe Thanks for everything so far!

Hey.. do things like Parallels work? The biggest reason I want to switch is that I can still run my old windows apps as I phase them out.

The 10.4.8 JaS-AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 (non-patched) installed smoothly on my Toshiba notebook (T1350 Intel Core Solo with Centrino). Will the ppf patch resolve: Audio, wireless, ethernet and USB? If so, where can I download the patch torrent? Anyone have the link?

Thanks to JaS and everyone for making this happen!

What Wireless, Audio, Ethernet, and USB do you have? I have the Broadcom 57xx ethernet and 1470 wireless and it did not fix mine. i still show my wireless as builtin ethernet. As for the Sound i have the SIgmatel 9751 and as long as you do not install the 9220 sound drivers mine works fine.

not to sure on the USB though...........

Finished installation and got it to boot but after choosing network options, the screen then becomes blue with that rotating black circle-shaped thing (like the one at the beginning of the white boot screen with the apple logo) for more than 10 minutes now. Is this supposed to happen? I'm testing it out on a M1210 Core 2 Duo machine with Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 with the patched DVD (pf1).

Is this supposed to be happening? I didn't choose the 10.4.4 login screen and Titan option. Thanks for the help :unsure:

EDIT: Fixed this problem by choosing "I have no internet connection". Hope this helps other folks too.

Edited by ultrasoul