New JaS DVD (AMD, INTEL SSE2, SSE3)

NemoKOF

455 posts in this topic

Just wanted to report that in the latest Jas Release 10.4.8 with PPF 1 there seems to be a problem with the IONetworkingFamily.kext. All content in the plugins folder is PPC only code and will not load correctly. So if you have network problems, exchange that stuff with universal content.

I already reported this twice in this thread but nobody reads it anyway.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=268924

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=269442

And nobody replied. But otherwise thx for confirmation.

Ad 10.4.8 Combo update from apple - the IOnetworkingfamily.kext from this update doesn't have all the kexts inside the Plugins folder which can be found on your HDD. Only some of them - actually the ones which are already universal out-of-the-box (i.e. after installation). I guess that's because the DVD contains a modified 10.4.8 apple update.

When I installed this on a other AMD SSE2 System, installation goes fine but it doens't install the boot manager?? If i use the boot manager on the DVD, it says cannot find com.apple.boot.plist. If i boot through the bios (F8) It just blinks, the partition is set to active.

I can confirm this error - it appears 3 times for me on 3 different machines - but the bug appear only if I try to install osx alone on a harddisk , as long as I use a partition created on a hdd that already have another operating system (windows) the bug is not present .. it seem that somehow, the installer is unable to write the correct mbr on the disk ! and this is a serious bug on my opinion .. hope JaS will try to fix that, or else, a lot of users are doomed ... to live with windows too.. The only way that allow me to fix this is to boot from intelsse3 only dvd, create the OSX partition, reset the computer, start the install from 10.4.8 sse2/sse3 and then the install was ok .. it seem that the closed beta test that JaS have done with some user, was to short ... ..

So please JaS ... HELLLLP

please help...:

1. how do i choose certain features to be installed and others not?

2. does the fact that my second 80 gb sata drive doesnt manage to get past the bios after installing the new JaS DVD mean that i should stop trying it with sata, that my mainboard is broken or that i have to get another osx86 version? the drives are trash now as far as i can see!!

3. is "kext" some kind of driver managing thing? how do i treat them? are they responsible for my 2 hd-failures?

4. any suggestions for a core-2-duo-mainboard suitable for osx86?

thanks!!

I Patched and Installed the jas 10.4.8 DVD. first I got a kernel panic from APICPUThrottle.kext. After removing the Kext OS X Boots but when it changes to the GUI it gets wierd:

The mouse works, Dual Display works but: The Background is all Blue!!! Not a blue screen, just blue. The Dock and Buttons respond to klicking but seem like Ghosts since there are no icons what so ever displayed!!!

I installed only the necessary sofrtware from the DVD, like the GMA 900 patch & of course the JAs SSE2 SSE3 Intel stuff...

Any Idea what I can do?

please help...:

1. how do i choose certain features to be installed and others not?

2. does the fact that my second 80 gb sata drive doesnt manage to get past the bios after installing the new JaS DVD mean that i should stop trying it with sata, that my mainboard is broken or that i have to get another osx86 version? the drives are trash now as far as i can see!!

3. is "kext" some kind of driver managing thing? how do i treat them? are they responsible for my 2 hd-failures?

4. any suggestions for a core-2-duo-mainboard suitable for osx86?

thanks!!

sorry, forgot my details: athlon 3000+, msi neo2 platinum, sata-drives (1 time samsung, other time seagate)

Could the crashing be because i didn't format the drive first?

is formatting to fat32 necessary even if the mac-os-disc-utility formats to another format anyway??

thanks....

ufulu, try deleting the 950 kexts and you may need 915 form 4.7

hm_ok, choose the packages you need in the Customize section of the installer, you will see it after you choose a drive to install to.

It sounds like you may need to install to a PATA drive if the disk doesn't show in Disk Utility and kexts are the drivers or what tells the os what to do or load. Look to peoples sigs for boards or check out osx86project.org

You have to format the drive you're planing to install to a Fat32 or AF so osx can write to the partition, you should be able to see the partition if the HDD is supported

Edited by joe75

Could someone please send me part065.rar?

It is always corrupted for me. I deleted it about 20 times, but always finds error in chunk 1875 and 1876.

Also, i cant extract iso with winrar or ark. It always says that part065 is coruptted or something like that. Pretty please.

mmajhen@yahoo.com

I already reported this twice in this thread but nobody reads it anyway.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=268924

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=269442

And nobody replied. But otherwise thx for confirmation.

Ad 10.4.8 Combo update from apple - the IOnetworkingfamily.kext from this update doesn't have all the kexts inside the Plugins folder which can be found on your HDD. Only some of them - actually the ones which are already universal out-of-the-box (i.e. after installation). I guess that's because the DVD contains a modified 10.4.8 apple update.

So updating to 10.4.8 is not recommanded until this issues is fixed?

sorry, forgot my details: athlon 3000+, msi neo2 platinum, sata-drives (1 time samsung, other time seagate)

Could the crashing be because i didn't format the drive first?

is formatting to fat32 necessary even if the mac-os-disc-utility formats to another format anyway??

thanks....

People - please put your machine specs in your signature (click on My Controls way at the top, then look for Edit Signature on the left). Then we ALWAYS know what you're talking about. :(

Hi, I had the same problem with my GeForce Go7400 and here I'm going to explain how I fix it.

1. Start your comp and just befor boot hit F8 buton, then type "-s" and hit Enter

2. Wate until the page is loding and then type "mount -uw /" and hit enter. Now you can edit whatever you want.

3. Type nano System/Library/Extentions/GeForce.kext/Contens/Info.plist +enter, scrol down until you see <key>IOPCIMatch</key>. You have to enter the ID of your Video cart like I did in this way"<string>0x004010de&amp 0x01d810de". 0x01d810de is mine ID and this an example! Do Ctrl+O enter and Ctrl+x to exit.

4. Do the same with NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDARessman.kext.

5. Do chown -R and chmod -R. Don't forget to remove Extentons.mkext and kextcache

6. Reboot. You will have a desktop but whitout QE/CI. If You don't have an Ethernet working I hope I can help you again. Success!!!

Do Ctrl+O enter and Ctrl+x to exit. ---> Can't save the files...it says read only? any other suggestions?

My Quadro fx 1300 is device ID 0x00FE. <string>0x00FE10de&amp <---- is this how I would type this?

thanks

Do Ctrl+O enter and Ctrl+x to exit. ---> Can't save the files...it says read only? any other suggestions?

My Quadro fx 1300 is device ID 0x00FE. <string>0x00FE10de&amp <---- is this how I would type this?

thanks

Looks like he left out "sudo". Put sudo before your edit commands (nano, or vi if you're old school) to run them as root. The first time in a session it will ask you for your root password, which you entered near the end of setup.

You can also do "sudo -s" (please correct me if I'm wrong) to simply start a shell AS root, so that all your commands are as root. But... that's a dangerous habit so I would not recommend starting it. :(

ufulu, try deleting the 950 kexts and you may need 915 form 4.7

hm_ok, choose the packages you need in the Customize section of the installer, you will see it after you choose a drive to install to.

It sounds like you may need to install to a PATA drive if the disk doesn't show in Disk Utility and kexts are the drivers or what tells the os what to do or load. Look to peoples sigs for boards or check out osx86project.org

You have to format the drive you're planing to install to a Fat32 or AF so osx can write to the partition, you should be able to see the partition if the HDD is supported

maybe i was blind the last 4 times, but i didn't see it...

sata is said to be working with sata drives...

do you know if the fat32 preformatting is essential for not getting a screwed up hard drive?

Hope someone can help. Installation went fine (vmware) attached image of the error i receive on booting up. Been running 10.4.8 for a few months on my ide drive with no issues. This is the new Jas iso installed to my SATA. This is the first time i've attmepted to install to SATA. Anyone got any ideas?

http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?image=osxerrorkf7.jpg

Edited by revert

I've successfully installed Jas10.4.8AMD/SSE3/SSE2, now, on an external USB drive connected to an Inspiron 8600 (NV Fx5200) and now have the answers to a number of questions I asked up thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=267597

1) I had better luck installing 10.4.8 clean and migrating a user account from an existing 10.4.6 installation than trying a direct upgrade of 10.4.6. (This may be pilot error. It took me awhile to learn how to edit all the NVD and Geforce kexts to put in the right card number and set the permissions. But my upgrade attempt would only boot in safe mode, while the clean install worked with full QE/CI support)

2) See 1). I removed the MacVidia driver before trying to upgrade 10.4.6, but it still didn't work well.

3) Yes, on an Intel SSE2 CPU, select the 10.4.4 login window package. That's all you need to fix the "About This Mac" problem. I did not experiment with replacing the SMBIOS.KEXT, and don't know whether Jas took care of this in the install packages.

4) No problems with ITunes 7 and Quicktime 7.13. Both included and working, as is the DVD player.

5) [Not in my original message]: I already knew to replace the IONetworkingFamily.Kext with a 10.4.3 or 10.4.4 version. (I didn't have any luck with the one from 10.4.6). It's amazing how many people are still complaining about no networking support, who haven't picked up that you need to do this.

Additionally, in order to get the Dell Truemobile 1450 Wireless recognized as Airport Extreme I had to replace the IO80211Family.Kext with an old version.

-----------------------

I hope the above will be of some use to people who are still struggling with these issues.

Unfortunately, I have other post-install issues that I haven't figured out yet. These are primarily related to inconsistent behavior of the Titan driver. I have read and followed the instructions to remove AGPgart.kext, and entered the Fx5200 ID in all the NV and GeForce kexts.

**Hint: if you're still getting the "Must Restart This Machine" error, it may be because there are still some NV kexts that don't have the video card ID correctly. Make sure the IOPCIMatch string is correct in *all* of the NV kexts -- not just the the NV30 or NV40, but also the NV10 and NV20*

New Problem 1: I can't get the battery meter to work properly with the patched PowerManagement.bundle. Although the battery meter appears when I boot the install DVD, and it works in 10.4.6, I haven't been able to get it to work in 10.4.8.

Question: could the failure of the Battery Meter to load be related to SMBIOS.Kext? Are other people having this problem with the new Jas 10.4.8 AMD/SSE3/SSE2 DVD?

New Problem 2 (worse): Even though I managed to get the system to boot successfully to the GUI with full QE/CI, it won't boot successfully every time. I'm still getting black screen boots, intermittantly without making any changes to the NV and Geforce kexts. Sometimes I can boot to safe mode with -x -v and sometimes I get black screen boots then, too. I'm trying to decide whether this is related to erratic performance of the external USB drive that has the 10.4.8 partition.

New Problem 3 (the worst): The external USB drive on which I installed 10.4.8 is beginning to behave erratically. It may be that the drive is developing physical problems on its own -- but I have the paranoid suspicion that the erratic performance is related to failed black screen boots of the 10.4.8 partition.

I've already written a lengthy description of this problem in another thread titled:

"Hard Drive Totally Screwed"

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=271383

The Titan.kext works unpredictably, sometimes yes, sometimes no. After a number of black screen failed boots, I can't even boot into Single User Mode. I have to power the drive down for half an hour and repair it from the Install DVD to get it to the point where it will load the pre-GUI system files again. Then, sometimes the GUI loads and sometimes it doesn't. I've given up several times, erased the partition and reinstalled. (Turning the drive off for ten minutes or so is also necessary to get Windows XP to recognize it again. The drive always behaves normally after a clean install of 10.4.8 until the black screen boots start happening. )

I'm wondering whether there's a separate issue about 10.4.8 and recognition of USB drives that's complicating the erratic behavior of Titan. (I did try Natit in one series of tests and experimented with beta versions of AGPGart.kext -- but this messed everything up every time, forcing me to erase the partition and reinstall from scratch.)

everythings work well except surround sound. there is no problem during the installation. I have asus P5B, 6300, msi x1600pro, 2*512 corsair.

Is there any solution to get 5.1 surround sound in asus p5b which has adi ad1988a sound chip. there is lots of solutions for other sound chips but non of them for adi. where are asus P5B users? We should solve this surround sound problem. I started to boring to get only 2.1 out.

Thanks JAS! The latest DVD is the best DVD for my system.