[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

Ok this is what I have done

l disabled both OS X and Windows drives in the BIOS, boot off the USB Installer and Clean and Reset the Nvram. Boot off the installer once again and start the install, erase and format the disk, chose the disk which asked for the Admin name and password which I entered and away it went with the installation. To be honest I don’t know how the install would be with just the test disk alone in the machine so my thoughts about it is open.

• Like 5

I have a hunch that a Bios reset might resolve this issue because nvram reset fails to do anything  but I can’t test that theory right now because I’m not at home.

I’ll test that theory once I get back but if anyone can test it, it’ll be nice to know if that works or not.

• Like 3

On the clean install I just done, this is how my Admin Name was formatted by OS X.

@Cyberdevs - There is no confusion Bro, as far as I know OS X will not allow Upper Case characters when creating your Account Name in the installation. The amount of times I tried to change it to the way I want it to be, it will always revert to Lower Case characters.

Spoiler

1752358742_Screenshot2022-06-24at19_08_06.thumb.png.50c190371b29c548ffa4aea1d56e93e9.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

I have reset the BIOS from the back panel button on the motherboard ....

it does not work 

Ok I will have to take your word, it is too much to take my M.2 Drives out, I will near enough have to dismantle half the machine, but it is something I will bear in mind going forward.

To me it is not logical, why create a Stand alone Installer that won't install if another OS X Version or Disk is not present. What happens if your real Mac Disk dies and you have to put another Disk in and do a clean install? :frantics:

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok I will have to take your word, it is too much to take my M.2 Drives out, I will near enough have to dismantle half the machine, but it is something I will bear in mind going forward.

Save yourself the trouble ... believe me it does not go on a single blank disk with no other osx around, without another "companion" 

The only solution for those who want to get to beta 2, will have to go through a clean install of beta1 first and then upgrade to beta 2 ... but not a direct beta2 clean install

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest ricoc90

When entering an username, according to the installer log it looks for the user file of said user. I assume it looks for that file on all mounted devices. If none is present then it can’t authenticate either because the credentials would always be wrong. It’s so stupid.

@PoMpIs Thanks for conducting the test. Well it seems it was completely futile on Apple's part producing a Stand Alone Installer that is a waste of time without certain stipulations. If Beta 1 has to be installed before one could install Beta 2 what's the point in issuing a Beta 2 installer???!!! Anyway I am done with the subject, I've burnt up a few more brain cells trying to figure out the WHYs AND the WON'Ts and can't afford to lose anymore, need em to know which shoe goes on which foot. :lol:

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/24/2022 at 12:33 AM, Stefanalmare said:

OK, I take this back! I finally installed Ventura beta 2 on external SSD on Ivy desktop and laptop. Works with Opencore and Clover. Using

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/998

https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-silicon-m1-full-macos-restore-ipsw-firmware-files-database/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oc-ventura-install-on-cmp-5-1.2347310/?post=31172042#post-31172042

Reveal hidden contents

1.png

Reveal hidden contents

2.png

Stefanalmare , would you please share your Clover EFI folder, I remember you had Ivy bridge. I am able to run my Ventura with Opencore ,but it freezes whenever I start Edge or Chrome. I want give a try with Clover

Does anyone else experience strange behaviour with dark mode? Dark mode works great once logged in but my login screen is light mode.

I have tried to reset nvram, changed to light mode - reboot - dark mode - reboot to no avail.

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, fusion71au said:

I use the latest stable versions of Heliport app v1.41 and itlwm.kext v2.1.0 --> these work well in macOS 11 up to 13beta2.  In Monterey, the Kabylake graphics kexts load and I still get graphics acceleration using -igfxsklaskbl boot argument as discussed in my previous post...

Reveal hidden contents

554497385_Monterey12.4_21F79onNUC6i5SYH.thumb.png.c726fdacf9d5e1e5aeefb9ec934a5322.png

Haven't tried AirportItlwm.kext yet so can't comment on it.

Any success with your NUC6i3SYH in Monterey or Ventura loading Kabylake kexts with graphics acceleration?  I assume you've tried framebuffer 0x59160000 for Intel UHD 620?

Reveal hidden contents

1458707944_KabylakeUHD620settings.thumb.png.5891ee464b3bbd75b2f886f5e689e1b5.png

Good luck!

1016857027_Screenshot2022-06-25at12_52_14.png.96b1e36dd80a031bbb6179cfdc702fe9.png105406653_Screenshot2022-06-25at12_54_49.thumb.png.b6cc2529c0596be841850faf1be3567e.png

Yup. Managed to install Ventura. First installed the Beta 1 then update to Beta 2 thru Software Update. No issues at all. There was no prompts for the admin login.

Just a quick question. I have the -igfxsklaskbl in the boot-arg in my config.plist. Also spoofed the iGPU in the device properties. Do I still need the boot-arg flag?

I added the model = Intel Graphics 620 in the device properties, hence you can see the Chipset Model as the model name. Of course in actual fact it is still a SKL graphics.

Another question. How do you remove or delete bluetooth devices and add in again in the System Settings?

A big shout out to all the Developers who made it possible to be able to run Ventura on SkyLake and @aben & @fusion71au. Thanks guys!!

• Like 6

Guest 5T33Z0

@greythorne Whatevergreen lists it as a boot-arg:

"-igfxsklaskbl to enforce Kaby Lake (KBL) graphics kext being loaded and used on Skylake models (KBL device-id and ig-platform-id are required)"

I don't know if it is still a requirement. Just disable it, reboot and check if acceleration is still working and report back

@greythorne Congrats! :) 

With regards to -igfxsklaskbl:  this WEG boot-arg was implemented solely to force test the VP9 patch for SKL generation, when attempting to spoof to KBL, on macOS versions older than Ventura. Since WEG logic will automatically force this patch for SKL on macOS 13+, you may safely omit this boot-arg when booting Ventura.

Edited by aben
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

solved the sleep problem in my Alder Lake by mapping the USBs, since then it works fine... (My b660 board has Asmedia 107x Hubs which MacOS doesn't like very much)

but in beta 2 it doesn't go to sleep on its own :(  .... it does if I put it to sleep manually...

End of quote

Thanks for the suggestion and I have mapped the Usb ports and that is working fine but did not solve the problem. The problem in my view is related to the Aquantia 113C. Whether you spoof it or use the quirk ForceAquantiaEthernet; this gives a problem with sleep. My system immediately wakes up again.

It has been solved by adding the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext to OpenCore and making the second Ethernet port on the ProArt Z690 Creator Wifi functional again. When I connect to the network with the Intel 2.5 G sleep is no longer interrupted. 

Edited by BarryBar
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Does anyone else experience strange behaviour with dark mode? Dark mode works great once logged in but my login screen is light mode.

I have tried to reset nvram, changed to light mode - reboot - dark mode - reboot to no avail.

You are right, the login screen is not 100% in dark mode 🙆‍♀️... I had not noticed because in beta two I can already have automatic login, but I have removed it and it is as you say 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

@BarryBar and this only happens to you in beta2?

in my case in beta 2 I have the problem that it does not go to sleep automatically and I don't know how to solve it... if I manually go to sleep it works🤷‍♂️

Yes this is in beta 2. Beta 1 had better sleep function. Hope beta 3 will solve this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BarryBar said:

Yes this is in beta 2. Beta 1 had better sleep function. Hope beta 3 will solve this.

I just realized that updating to beta 2 changes my i225v network from "en0" to "en2😐 

SxMIxEu.png

I've cleared the network preferences and it's back to "en0"

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/coma.apple.network.identification.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

AZ9QV7p.png

Maybe it will solve my automatic sleep problem 🤷‍♂️

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 1

Well, it turns out that in beta 2 my computer does not go to sleep because of this:

sleep                1 (sleep prevented by runningboardd, sharingd, powerd)

I have looked in sharing and indeed I had this activated:

s0fBPPj.png

I have deactivated it and now it does not go to sleep because of the following: :hysterical:

sleep                1 (sleep prevented by runningboardd) 

What is this?? 

• Confused 1