[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, eSaF said:

Hi - Maybe I am off track with your query or maybe you're referring to this Setting in Ventura (attached)521976902_ScreenShot2022-06-18at13_39_03.thumb.png.2db85caacaa48425fcca931dcef4c7af.png

Reveal hidden contents

521976902_ScreenShot2022-06-18at13_39_03.thumb.png.2db85caacaa48425fcca931dcef4c7af.png1747321650_ScreenShot2022-06-18at13_39_35.thumb.png.e1106d0a55fa65db002637780a108ba7.png

No, in fact I meant that.

The popup to chose the user for Automatically log in as was greyed and unclickable so I had to put Monterey's App to be able to click on the lock, type the password then chose the default user.

1620574178_Screenshot2022-06-23at18_41_25.thumb.png.50b490a0d21b1b7e4ca22479d8d8d9aa.png

• Like 3

I can´t install the beta 2 update from beta 1, the download was perfect, but after 5 minutes more or less of starting update, the message "35 minutes remaining", it gives me the message from screenshots, by default it downloads 1,56 GB, but when installation is starting after few minutes it shows me the message, and after retry again it downloads a complete installer, around 11 - 12 GB, but the same problem, is an Ivy Bridge Laptop, with the hash root patch and os.dmg from M1.

I tried with both WiFi and Ethernet (600 Mbps).

Thanks in adavance.

Cheers.

20220623_183100.jpg

20220623_184007.jpg

Edited by asdesoso

8 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

I can´t install the beta 2 update from beta 1, the download was perfect, but after 5 minutes more or less of starting update, the message "35 minutes remaining", it gives me the message from screenshots, by default it downloads 1,56 GB, but when installation is starting after few minutes it shows me the message, and after retry again it downloads a complete installer, around 11 - 12 GB, but the same problem, is an Ivy Bridge Laptop, with the hash root patch and os.dmg from M1.

I tried with both WiFi and Ethernet (600 Mbps).

Thanks in adavance.

Cheers.

20220623_183100.jpg

20220623_184007.jpg

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/351969-pre-release-macos-ventura/?do=findComment&comment=2786817

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stefanalmare said:

With my Haswell desktop it shows me the same message at the same point, but after second try, voila it updated to beta 2 without any problem.

So I think that you are correct, the culprit is AVX2.

20220623_191457.jpg

X299 - OS 13.0 Beta2 update done. 

Stage manager is finally working properly with multiple monitors.  Beta 1 was a mess.

image.thumb.png.5fbd23481038e2c452184846d4056ee5.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Do you have purple colours with DVI connector?

I don't use DVI anymore. When I did, I had to patch the EDID of that specific monitor to avoid the purple color ( adding an extra Display override ).

Here's a link on how to do it.

https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 3

In both Ventura ß1 and ß2 on my Z690 build, I cannot seem to get a USB-C external drive to mount on the desktop (it mounts just fine in Big Sur).

When I disconnect the drive while Ventura is running, I see the usual warning box for improper ejection as shown below, so the drive is connecting at some level, but just not showing up on the desktop. (And, yes, I have Finder settings enabled for Hard disks, External disks, CDs and connected servers.) I also see the same ejection error if the same drive is mounted through a USB3 to USB-C cable. A USB3 memory stick is correctly mounted on the desktop, so the problem seems to be specific for USB-C drives.

image.png.2f64b461edabb77bfd2b260bb56edbc9.png

On doing some digging, I found that Ventura has set up a new security policy for blocking USB drive mounting until permission is granted (here). However, I see no "System Settings>Security and Privacy>Security" setting, which the article references, in order to give permission. I've looked through each item that is present under "Security and Privacy" and see nothing that would allow giving permission to mount an external USB drive.

Another article seemed to hint that a permission could be given within Recovery>Utilities>Startup Security Utility. But on trying to select that item from the menu within Recovery, I was presented with an error msg saying that "Your firmware is not supported." for, I suppose, running Startup Security Utility (see spoiler below).

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.851e7bb89a813a1ed7d35943c500ba16.jpeg

Edited by iGPU

Guest ricoc90
8 minutes ago, iGPU said:

In both Ventura ß1 and ß2 on my Z690 build, I cannot seem to get a USB-C external drive to mount on the desktop (it mounts just fine in Big Sur).

When I disconnect the drive while Ventura is running, I see the usual warning box for improper ejection as shown below, so the drive is connecting at some level, but just not showing up on the desktop. (And, yes, I have Finder settings enabled for Hard disks, External disks, CDs and connected servers.)

On doing some digging, I found that Ventura has set up a new security policy for blocking USB drive mounting until permission is granted (here). However, I see no "System Settings>Security and Privacy>Security" setting in which to give permission. I've looked through each item that is present under "Security and Privacy" and see nothing that would allow giving permission to mount an external USB drive.

Another article seemed to hint that a permission could be given within Recovery>Utilities>Startup Security Utility. But on trying to select that item from the menu within Recovery, I was presented with an error msg saying that "Your firmware is not supported." for, I suppose, running Startup Security Utility (see spoiler below).

Hide contents

As the article you're linking at is stating, it affects M1 and M2 macs:

it’ll make USB-C and Thunderbolt accessories explicitly ask for your permission before they can communicate with MacBooks powered by Apple’s M1 or M2 chips.

Which might explain why you're unable to use the Startup Security Utility.

Edited by ricoc90

19 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

No more mounting Preboot on Beta 2 to replace os.dmg. I have the feeling that the only solution to have Ventura on Ivy and lower is avx2 emulation. Let's see! If is possible............

OK, I take this back! I finally installed Ventura beta 2 on external SSD on Ivy desktop and laptop. Works with Opencore and Clover. Using

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/998

https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-silicon-m1-full-macos-restore-ipsw-firmware-files-database/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oc-ventura-install-on-cmp-5-1.2347310/?post=31172042#post-31172042

Spoiler

1.png

Spoiler

2.png

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ricoc90 said:

As the article you're linking at is stating, it affects M1 and M2 macs:

Which might explain why you're unable to use the Startup Security Utility.

Thanks, that explains the Recovery issue (which was the attempt to get the drive to mount), but does not explain why the USB-C drive won't mount on the desktop, which is the main problem.

Is anyone else having problems with mounting external USB-C drives?

1 hour ago, iGPU said:

When I disconnect the drive while Ventura is running, I see the usual warning box for improper ejection as shown below, so the drive is connecting at some level, but just not showing up on the desktop. (And, yes, I have Finder settings enabled for Hard disks, External disks, CDs and connected servers.) I also see the same ejection error if the same drive is mounted through a USB3 to USB-C cable. A USB3 memory stick is correctly mounted on the desktop, so the problem seems to be specific for USB-C drives.

On doing some digging, I found that Ventura has set up a new security policy for blocking USB drive mounting until permission is granted (here). However, I see no "System Settings>Security and Privacy>Security" setting, which the article references, in order to give permission. I've looked through each item that is present under "Security and Privacy" and see nothing that would allow giving permission to mount an external USB drive.

Reveal hidden contents

3.png

7 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Привет всем

Кто-нибудь знает, как скачать полную программу установки Ventura Beta 2, пожалуйста  🙂

the GibMacos script can also download any version.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 в 04.04.46.png

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

3.png

Yes, I see the drive with Hackintool (just as it appears in Big Sur), but while it shows in Hackintool, the drive doesn't mount on the desktop. The fact that Hackintool sees it is also supported by the ejection error is I simply un-plug the drive. All USB ports are assigned/limited by a USBMap kext file.

image.thumb.png.ddee3654c2ab9ad4c7cdf9f124d5034a.png

Edited by iGPU

As a test I downloaded the stand alone Ventura 2 and built a USB installer to do a clean install on a test disk, on reaching the stage to choose the disk to be installed on, I get this popup - 'In order to continue installing MacOS Ventura you need to log in as Administrator to unlock the disk......' etc. Putting the name and password I use to unlock the p/c is proving to be wrong and I just cannot get past that stage. Thoughts please as to why that is.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, iGPU said:

Yes, I see the drive with Hackintool (just as it appears in Big Sur), but while it shows in Hackintool, the drive doesn't mount on the desktop. The fact that Hackintool sees it is also supported by the ejection error is I simply un-plug the drive. All USB ports are assigned/limited by a USBMap kext file.

image.thumb.png.ddee3654c2ab9ad4c7cdf9f124d5034a.png

Like I showed you, is no problem with USB-c on Alder. You are first who has this. So, is a issue with your USB map. I use now 15 ports SSDT-UIAC.aml, USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext (@MaLd0n school).

• Like 1

I just tried the USB drive with Beta 1 and there is no problem with it so why is a clean install of Beta 2 saying it needs an Admin password to continue the install and when I do put my Admin password in it says wrong.

Edit: Had to use Beta 1 installer USB drive to get past that stage then on the reboot put the Beta 2 installer USB drive in to continue the install. I am now at the language screen of the installation.

Edited by eSaF
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I just tried the USB drive with Beta 1 and there is no problem with it so why is a clean install of Beta 2 saying it needs an Admin password to continue the install and when I do put my Admin password in it says wrong.

https://www.macos86.it/topic/5751-pre-release-macos-ventura/?do=findComment&comment=130946

Same thing here ... It will be an optional of beta 2 😝

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately using Beta 1 to get past that stage didn’t have the desired result I wished for as it only installed Beta 1 so I had to update that to Beta 2, not a good sign for us who likes to do clean installs from time to time. Hopefully it is just a bug at this stage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stefanalmare said:

Like I showed you, is no problem with USB-c on Alder. You are first who has this. So, is a issue with your USB map. I use now 15 ports SSDT-UIAC.aml, USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext (@MaLd0n school).

I tried using that technique and all remains the same. The odd thing is that USBMap works fine in Mojave - Monterey, just not Ventura.

And I have same issues whether I'm using TRX40 or Z690. It's a Ventura issue.