[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Thanks for the info, I'll try and comment.

Here RX 6600 Metal 2, I don't know why, maybe 6600 non XT doesn't support Metal 3.

Reveal hidden contents

Metal2.png.91093dc3f9f1417692485e7b0ebdb16e.png

strange...

clean install DP1 give me Metal2...

Upgrade to DP2 stay with Metal2..

upgrade Monterey directly with DP2, give me Metal3!

(for this i haven't watch and say "i'm on metal 2 too!" ...but i've checked later, and bam, Metal 3!) 

• Like 1

At the risk of losing a few more brain cells I couldn't let it rest. I remove all disks from the machine leaving just the Test Disk and tried a clean install of Beta 2, @PoMpIs and few others are correct in reporting it is impossible to install a Stand Alone Beta 2 because the Admin Credentials will not be verified so it makes you wonder how that will work on real Macs pertaining to a Disk replacement (Beta 2 bug???!!!).

Another find, Sleep/Wake worked perfect in Beta 1 as it does in BS and Monterey, in Beta 2 it is broken so it begs to ask why you guys are bothering to make changes to fix it at this stage when it is inevitable that in the next Beta/Betas to come things will change for the better (or worst).

Another find, in Beta 1 the machine would wake with a slight movement of the mouse, now it only wakes with mouse click or keyboard input. In fixing or adding some features, some things were broken. I for one will not attempt to fix auto Sleep, manually the machine sleeps as should so that is good enough for the time being.

At the release of the Public or GM Releases and Ventura is still a bit flaky, then I will have a potter around and try to fix it in my ham fisted way so until then I am putting the rest of the grey matter in moth balls.:)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

strange...

clean install DP1 give me Metal2...

Upgrade to DP2 stay with Metal2..

upgrade Monterey directly with DP2, give me Metal3!...

Sorry, I was in Monterey, not in Ventura, that was a fail 🙁 

Spoiler

909461960_Metal3.png.eaa63576fa2cec378fab56f5441ecff3.png

@PoMpIs

Edited by miliuco
  • Haha 7

@eSaF @Cyberdevs

Since two days, I met a problem. When I want to install Ventura Beta 2, I need to enter admin user name and password before clean install on an erase HDD (no another macOS installed) 

NOW, THE ISSUE IS SOLVED (credit: xXthemistXx - redit r/Hackintosh). All seems to work fine (Clover r5146 commit 2daece8). My Z390 is very happy 🤣

Once you have booting from USB Installer :

all you need to do it's open up the terminal

and do /Volumes/Image\ Volume/Install\ macOS\ Ventura\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/

it will ask to agree to license, after typing A it should start.

• Like 7

@eSaF

Hello, I have been able to do a clean install, creating the install USB with createinstallmedia, deleting the disk with Disk Utility, booting from the USB and doing all the install process. Never seen the credentials dialog. Monterey in another disk, unplugged on BIOS to install without interferences. Why I don't see this dialog? I don't know.

Beta 2 has more sleeps problems, an user in this thread has proposed to empty the widgets to get rid of the runningboardd process, but I've emptied widgets and the process doesn't go.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF

Hello, I have been able to do a clean install, creating the install USB with createinstallmedia, deleting the disk with Disk Utility, booting from the USB and doing all the install process. Never seen the credentials dialog. Monterey in another disk, unplugged on BIOS to install without interferences. Why I don't see this dialog? I don't know.

Beta 2 has more sleeps problems, an user in this thread has proposed to empty the widgets to get rid of the runningboardd process, but I've emptied widgets and the process doesn't go.

You have to kill the process from "Activity Monitor"

And see that Handoof is not active but also interrupts sleep on beta 2 

look at it in the terminal:

pmset -g assertions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF

Yea Bro removing the Disk in the BIOS is not enough, you need to remove all Disks from the machine with any OS X versions, then and only then you will see the Admin Credential box.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Yea Bro removing the Disk in the BIOS is not enough, you need to remove all Disks from the machine with any OS X versions, then and only then you will see the Admin Credential box.

i tried it once and it didn't work, the installer asks for credential and no matter what i type in there's no way to get passed it.

But as soon as I connected another disk with Big Sur already installed it could verify the credentials and installation got started.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Bus as soon as I connected another disk with Big Sur already installed it could verify the credentials and installation got started.

Correct, that is exactly the behaviour on my machine as well. - Thanks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

i tried it once and it didn't work, the installer asks for credential and no matter what i type in there's no way to get passed it.

Bus as soon as I connected another disk with Big Sur already installed it could verify the credentials and installation got started.

Hi @Cyberdevs @eSaF Do you see my post : connect another macOS is not necessary, no more admin password credentials asked.

Once you have booting from USB Installer : in macOS menu

and do /Volumes/Image\ Volume/Install\ macOS\ Ventura\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

You have to kill the process from "Activity Monitor"

And see that Handoof is not active but also interrupts sleep on beta 2 

look at it in the terminal:

pmset -g assertions

Bro like I said is it really necessary at this early stage trying to correct something that will more than likely be corrected by Apple. 

• Like 3

Guest ricoc90

It doesn't matter if you do or do not have other disks present, the authorization dialog shows up either way. It looks for the user under /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/<username>.plist but it seems as if it looks for said file on ALL currently connected disks. If there are none, or none of them have macOS installed, you can't authenticate because said file does not exist. If there is another macOS install, no matter the drive, it will find <username>.plist and if that user is labeled as a system administrator, you can authenticate just fine.

e.g. I only have 1 (one) m.2 ssd present in my hack. I wiped it completely clean, booted of the beta 2 usb to perform a clean install and was presented with the authorization dialog, but since there was no other macOS installation present I could not get past the dialog.

We'll just have to wait for beta 3 I guess.

Edited by ricoc90

6 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @Cyberdevs @eSaF Do you see my post : connect another macOS is not necessary, no more admin password credentials asked.

Once you have booting from USB Installer : in macOS menu

Thanks Bro I've already got Beta 2 installed so no need to tinker anymore but thanks for the Method to get past that stage other than having another OS X Disk in the machine. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Bro like I said is it really necessary at this early stage trying to correct something that will more than likely be corrected by Apple. 

It's fun 😄... And so far I've got it, my computer goes to sleep automatically in beta 2 

FqoT4BT.png

I went out for a while and I'm back now and it was sleep just like in beta 1 or in monterey....

without adjusting anything with pmset... it is as it is installed, I have only changed the time of the screen saver and the time of turning off the screen from system settings

I like it much more  😄

But it seems to me that there are more things broken in beta 2 than in 1

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

It's fun 😄... And so far I've got it, my computer goes to sleep automatically in beta 2 

Enjoy Bro - obviously you've more brain cells than me so you losing a few is no biggie but for me is a disaster. :hysterical:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

At the risk of losing a few more brain cells

Yeah I cannot differ one iota. One has to be realistic and keep both feet solidly on the ground. With "Bee-Tapple's" Ventura we are entering a completely new "scenario" of which the final result, with all its announced features, will actually take a while to crystallise which "path" Apple has actually chosen, "coding wise", to accomplish what they intend achieving with Ventura. Until that time, and in particular during this early stage, I consider it totally futile and a waste of precious time to try and "invent" methods to make routines work that are not supposed to work because they are not yet "directly in focus" by Apple's developers. Apple is presently in the process of developing a new "Ventura" framework that will be able to embrace all the "dream" features announced by them for Ventura, until that has been accomplished a few more "gallons" of water will have flown into the see from the Mississippi. Suggest you rather enjoy the relative stability as well as functionality and usefulness of this early Ventura incarnation in anticipation of something more tangible that will make it more rewarding to tinker with and spend one's time with to make it work the way one desires in one's own particular "hacking environment"   

Just my 2 cents.

Greetings Henties

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Slice  I set up this morning
Clover beta-2daece8ea (starts and works fine)

1998858598_Screenshot2022-06-26alle08_43_18.thumb.png.4f84cccded14b8774fc2c7667c69efe9.png

... my impression I feel a slight delay from the bios to get to the gui, compared to the previous ones ... it's possible? (I don't have any audio drivers loaded for the startup  sound)

• Like 4

On 6/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, Hervé said:

@arcade33 Setting iGPU VRAM to 1536MB (unifiedmem 00000060 DATA) is useless and unnecessary, it's the default value. Does no harm of course.

Those who end up with black screen may try the WEG boot arg igfxonln=1 though no guarantee it'll bring the built-in LCD to life. But it certainly is required on my Skylake laptop when I use an external HDMI/DP screen and not just for Ventura.

As for @PC IT, it's difficult to follow where you stand without a renewed/refreshed status of your bootloader setup. Surprisingly so, given all that had been posted before about SKL platforms, the stuff you posted on Monday was all incorrect:

1) IOReg showed:

• SMBIOS: MacBookAir9,1 (i.e. Ice Lake model and therefore unsuitable) when you should be using MBP14,1
  • Framebuffer layout: SKL 0x19160000
  • iGPU id: SKL 0x1916

2) OC config showed unnecessary property injections such as these:

• PC_IT_iGPU_properties.jpg

3) WEG kext version not adequate for Ventura:

• Whatevergreen: v1.5.9

I suggest you address all of those issues, not just the framebuffer layout and iGPU device-id and proceed as follows:

-> update to OC 0.8.2 with updated OpenRuntime driver/module (restores ability to set AvoidRuntimeDefrag quirk)

-> Inject the following iGPU properties:

AAPL,ig-platform-id        00001B59    DATA
device-id                  16590000    DATA
framebuffer-patch-enable   1           NUMBER  // to patch framebuffer
framebuffer-fbmem          00009000    DATA    // if PC's DVMT not set to 64MB or above
framebuffer-stolenmem      00003001    DATA    // if PC's DVMT not set to 64MB or above
framebuffer-con1-enable    1           NUMBER  // to patch con1 connector
framebuffer-con1-type      00080000    DATA    // for HDMI audio
hda-gfx                    onboard-1   STRING

-> Inject the following WEG v1.6.0 & related kexts (granted this may now be freshly out of date but still fully operational):

WEG_for_13.0.b1_SKL.zip 221.17 kB · 11 downloads

-> Switch SMBIOS to MacBookPro14,1

Thank you Herv'e for your reply, i tested all the possibilities to get the lcd to work but all failed, i updated the system oc and kexts and smbios, all result to the same black screen, now it is only working when i connect it to external hdmi display, i updated to Ventura b2 using the wegvesa arg, the update was smooth, find attached 2 copies of ioreg for my system while connected to hdmi display, no sound when connected to hdmi display, i wish we can find a solution to this lappy lcd to work as in Monterey. also find the display data kext. thank you

PCIT HACK.zip Display-6af-119e.kext.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

@Slice

Welcome back! Here we are very busy installing Ventura. Did you have any trouble on your system?

My trouble is I can't start Ventura with iMacPro1,1 but I can with iMac17,1. Don't know yet why. 

VoodooHDA is not working.

• Like 2