[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

@ndungu6678 The first thing you should do is drop OpenCore Configurator and use OpenCore Auxiliary tools instead since it has OC Validate instegrated and tells you immediately about errros and automatically migrates your config to the lastest version. No more maving keys around manually. It also has dropdown menus which show sou which quirks to use for the CPU you are using.

Made some progress.

By turning off AvoidRuntimeDefrag and turning on AdviseFeatures I was able to start the installer from USB without using “-lilubetaall”

Will keep everyone posted.

Perhaps this has to do with the SMBIOS I’m using as well — MacPro7,1.

Update — hit another error: “A required firmware update could not be installed.”

Update 2: Changed SMBIOS to iMac20,2 — Second try.

Update 3: No avail. iMac20,2 SMBIOS leads to freeze at 12 minute mark.

Update 4: Turns out I don’t need “AdviseFeatures” to get the installer to boot. If I could only manage to get past the “Required firmware update could not be installed” error…

Edited by PropoFlexWX4
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, ndungu6678 said:

I feel embarrassed by your observations- as I said beforeI am no guru and have absolutely no coding experience-i accept i have used a trial and error approach without any real logic to boot my hacks over the last few years- should have been more careful to follow the strict guidelines governing proper EFI construction-as I can see my settings do not help anyone to find the correct settings guess even make it more difficult for one  to sift through my inexcusable mess I call  my EFI - just want to learn from experts like you-i also don't know why my machine is booting Ventura-i will try and make all the fixes you suggest to improve-sorry again for so many mistakes

You're welcome! And no need to apologise. It is just a learning curve and we all make learn and mistakes as part of the growth (we've all been there). The main reason I wanted to point it out to you is I didn't want it to cause some sort of fire hazard as having more drivers and kexts installed means its running a lot of programs and files in the background. If not carefully checked your PC could easily overheat and we don't want that. 😄

As to correcting and learning about the issues, well I'd say a good way to start would be to actually try to do a simple EFI build for an already well documented and working OS you're already familiar with like Big Sur or Monterey. You could follow the Dortania guide online on the particulars of your system on how to get it to boot with the new EFI (in this case a Desktop Coffee Lake) and work on the config.plist build from there from the devices all the way to the GPU and SMBIOS settings. That should allow you more than enough of an insight on how to get the system working. Once you have that you can then work on the Ventura build.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@eSaF Is this an external drive connected via USB you are trying to install macOS on?

Yes it is as I've done with all my OS X test installs, why do you think that could be a negative impact on the install? Man at this point I'm willing to try anything hoping something will stick, but I am sure other testers tried on internal drives with no progress on the Gigabyte Z390.

PS - I will try the Drive internally and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Middleman said:

You're welcome! And no need to apologise. It is just a learning curve and we all make learn and mistakes as part of the growth (we've all been there). The main reason I wanted to point it out to you is I didn't want it to cause some sort of fire hazard as having more drivers and kexts installed means its running a lot of programs and files in the background. If not carefully checked your PC could easily overheat and we don't want that. 😄

As to correcting and learning about the issues, well I'd say a good way to start would be to actually try to do a simple EFI build for an already well documented and working OS you're already familiar with like Big Sur or Monterey. You could follow the Dortania guide online on the particulars of your system on how to get it to boot with the new EFI (in this case a Desktop Coffee Lake) and work on the config.plist build from there from the devices all the way to the GPU and SMBIOS settings. That should allow you more than enough of an insight on how to get the system working. Once you have that you can then work on the Ventura build.

Thanks again - you are completely right- I didn't realise these setting could not only reduce the lifespan of my hack if not cause a disaster -will do-cheers!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

Sure, these are ovmf files (from audk), no tpm support.

As said these are synced with edk2 stable 202202 with some commits from acidanthera (edk2-->audk); I think that soon new commits will be available to sync with the latest edk2 202205.

OVMF_AUDK_202202-06-03-2022.zip 938.48 kB · 0 downloads

Attaching also v 202205 from edk2 (no tpm support) and edk2 202205 with tpm support.

ovmf-stable-202205.zip 959.82 kB · 0 downloads ovmf-tpm-stable-202205.zip 1.22 MB · 1 download

Thanks, got it working now with unraid's normal OVFM by changing

<qemu:arg value='host,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>

to 

<qemu:arg value='Cascadelake-Server,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>

image.thumb.png.4be7e3c893b6cc4fba59a1401a72353f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pavo said:
Cascadelake-Server

Nice Pavo!that was a thing I was planning to do tomorrow, but thanks for the confirmation it's working!Does it boot to desktop in some way?Because I had no issue in completing part of the installation with the gui.

I think the spoofing could be however fixed (maybe) with an opencore commit (?), or maybe in the config with cpuid spoofing (?)

Edited by ghost8282

14 hours ago, aben said:

Good news for Skylake users looking to experience the flavors of macOS Ventura on iGPU-only Skylake systems (tested on HD 520). Seeing acceptable iGPU hardware acceleration even with KBL framebuffer (not surprising since KBL is loosely based off SKL, architecture-wise with slight improvements to the 14nm manufacturing process bringing higher base-clock speeds to the CPU while using lower voltage thereby improving performance-per-watt metric essentially making KBL CPUs a better "tuned" version of SKL. With regards to integrated graphics, only KBL's Iris Plus Graphics 650 showcased any significant performance gains with Intel HD 620/630 being largely identical to Intel HD 530/520 found in SKL)

TBH I actually don't see any difference in graphics performance with the HD 520 compared to macOS 12; just as smooth and snappy. The following 3 attributes are essential to get working graphics acceleration for Skylake on macOS 13:

• for mobile/laptop users, inject recommended KBL framebuffer profile: 0x591B0000 (Big Endian) to AAPL,ig-platform-id  property.
  • inject fake device-id to match against equivalent KBL counterpart, for eg: Intel HD 520 can opt for Intel HD 620's Device ID: 0x5916 to Little Endian 16590000 to device-id property.
  • inject boot-arg: -disablegfxfirmware

Required device-properties reference format for Intel HD 520:

AAPL,ig-platform-id     00001B59       DATA
device-id               16590000       DATA

Two issues currently faced on my Dell Inspiron with current OC build: 1. system freezes when OS tries to access NVRAM variables, for eg: when changing brightness (should be fixed soon by Acidanthera team) and 2. display sometimes wakes up to black screen from sleep.

Other than seeing the usual UI-related glitches/intermittent choppiness with the new redesigned System Settings, this build has been pretty stable so far which is kinda baffling given the fact that it's the very first pilot beta and being surprisingly performant even on un-supported hardware.

Absolutely stoked to learn that Skylake owners don't have to be left behind now with acceptable iGPU support on macOS Ventura.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b0daf15987f53bad3fb9f43ac4d2c3f8.png

Hello dear, may i have your skylake config plist or your efi for test?, i tried your solution on my skylake hd520 laptop but seems i am missing something, the usb installer halt with graphics properties, i appreciate your help. Thanks

48 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

Nice Pavo!that was a thing I was planning to do tomorrow, but thanks for the confirmation it's working!Does it boot to desktop in some way?Because I had no issue in completing part of the installation with the gui.

I think the spoofing could be however fixed (maybe) with an opencore commit (?), or maybe in the config with cpuid spoofing (?)

I do all installs/upgrades using VNC without GPU pass through, because sometimes it glitches out with the way macOS resets it. But I can get to desktop without issues.

• Thanks 1

I am afraid, that like many others here, this is where I stop.

iMac20,2 SMBIOS — Freeze At 12 Minutes Remaining.

Any other SMBIOS (iMac19,1 / MacPro7,1…) leads to the message on the picture.

EA4B15D9-9D9D-4370-B02D-2739827CAFD2.jpeg

Edited by PropoFlexWX4
  • Sad 1

Test on Acer E1 in signature.
OC installation 0.8.2
second OC restart 0.8.2
third reboot on Clover 5146 plus normal boot after installation.
Issue encountered: Detects Intel HD 4400 4MB card without graphics accelerator, even using DSDT and SSDT tables
The audio does not work
The rest works "including touchpad"
Tip to enable the video card?
Using SMBIOS macbookpro 14.2

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 23.05.41.png

• Like 5

I am getting a kernel panic during first boot after the installation finishes. I can run the installer and finish installing but it doesn't boot afterwards. The boot stops and does a kernel panic right after: "build_userspace_exit_reason: illegal flags passed from userspace.."

[Solved]

- i solved this by installing ventura on my main drive. I was trying to install it first to a usb to try it out first but i was always getting this error when booting from a usb.

20220609_061820.jpg

Edited by hohoho

11 hours ago, Ludox said:

Test on Acer E1 in signature.
OC installation 0.8.2
second OC restart 0.8.2
third reboot on Clover 5146 plus normal boot after installation.
Issue encountered: Detects Intel HD 4400 4MB card without graphics accelerator, even using DSDT and SSDT tables
The audio does not work
The rest works "including touchpad"
Tip to enable the video card?
Using SMBIOS macbookpro 14.2

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 23.05.41.png

I'm so lucky to boot successfully in my Z97 hackintoshs with Clover 5145.

All are working except no hardware acceleration of HD 4600.

Even WIFI (802.11ac) working too !

Config.plist for Clover 5145 was attached here.

Even WiFi works perfectly !

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 6.46.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 6.46.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 6.48.15 AM.png

config.plist

Edited by jsl2000
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Made some progress.

By turning off AvoidRuntimeDefrag and turning on AdviseFeatures I was able to start the installer from USB without using “-lilubetaall”

Will keep everyone posted.

Perhaps this has to do with the SMBIOS I’m using as well — MacPro7,1.

Update — hit another error: “A required firmware update could not be installed.”

Update 2: Changed SMBIOS to iMac20,2 — Second try.

Update 3: No avail. iMac20,2 SMBIOS leads to freeze at 12 minute mark.

Update 4: Turns out I don’t need “AdviseFeatures” to get the installer to boot. If I could only manage to get past the “Required firmware update could not be installed” error…

Did you add -disablegfxfirmware to the boot-arg?

12 minutes ago, Middleman said:

Seriously? That's all I needed to add to bypass the error?

Will try that and keep you guys posted.

53 minutes ago, Middleman said:

-disablegfxfirmware is not a WEG boot args, correct is -igfxvesa

to disable Intel Graphics acceleration.

Were and How disablegfxfirmware ?

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

-disablegfxfirmware is not a WEG boot args, correct is -igfxvesa

to disable Intel Graphics acceleration.

Hmmm. My CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.

Tried using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS too which doesn't have iGPU... same result.

Edited by PropoFlexWX4

Alright so I managed to make some progress! I got into the installer with my H370 Acer Nitro 5!

So what happened was, I was using a working OC 0.7.9 Monterey 12.4 build I had for the Acer and I had it updated to OC8.1 via OCAuxiliaryTools and just added -lilubetaall, MaxKernel of 22.99.99, AdviseFeatures ON, ProvideCurrentCPUInfo OFF and AvoidRunTimeDefrag to OFF. EnableSafeModeSlide, EnableWriteUnProtector and SetupVirtualMap is ON but RebuildAppleMemoryMap is OFF as is SyncRuntimePermissions.

Key differences I noticed in the new one and my previous build (which was a manual alteration of my other Rocket Lake Ventura build to the Nitro 5 settings) was that PollAppleHotKeys was off but also LauncherOption was set to Short and all Debug options were turned off including DisableWatchdog. SecureBootModel setting was Default and SMBIOS was MacbookPro14,3. Aside from that, all of the VirtualSMC kexts were enabled as was CPUFriend & CPUFriendDataProvider, NVMEFix and NoTouchID. Also I did not use any AptioFix drivers either. EFI drivers enabled was only OpenHFS, OpenCanopy and OpenRuntime and everything else was disabled.

6 hours ago, PC IT said:

Hello dear, may i have your skylake config plist or your efi for test?, i tried your solution on my skylake hd520 laptop but seems i am missing something, the usb installer halt with graphics properties, i appreciate your help. Thanks

Sure thing! Feel free to review the attached as a reference point for macOS Ventura tests ONLY, not recommended to use as-is (should your firmware require other patches that would otherwise be necessary to boot macOS). Good luck!

OC.zip

Edited by aben
  • Like 1