[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0
7 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

My attempts until now are all a pain in the butt, updated OC to 0.8.2 to the last commits, updated all the kexts, and... nothing I can't install and lastly I damaged my Monterey install that was working perfectly...

Now to boot I have to use an macOS 12 beta usb installer...

Followed all the suggestions in this thread, but nothing worked, still... 

Here is my config.plist ...

OCValidate no errors found...

config.plist.zip 4.57 kB · 6 downloads

Does your system boot without AvoidRuntimeDefrag? If not, you can't run the installer – it won't start.

7 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Does your system boot without AvoidRuntimeDefrag? If not, you can't run the installer – it won't start.

And if he turns off AvoidRuntimeDefrag, the installer will start, but will freeze. We hit a paradox: Our systems need this quirk enabled to boot, but Ventura doesn't boot or install succesfully with it.
For now, we're stuck on Monterey.

Guest 5T33Z0

Give the devs some time to figure it out.

For me Ventura only works on my Desktop as well and only when using OpenCore not with Clover.

2 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Give the devs some time to figure it out.

For me Ventura only works on my Desktop as well and only when using OpenCore not with Clover.

Yeah I understand. Now I had a realization... That's precisely the reason why we can't boot Ventura yet -- we need AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

Once they figure out how to boot Ventura DP1 with this quirk enabled, we are on our marry way... :D

8 minutes ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

And if he turns off AvoidRuntimeDefrag, the installer will start, but will freeze. We hit a paradox: Our systems need this quirk enabled to boot, but Ventura doesn't boot or install succesfully with it.
For now, we're stuck on Monterey.

May Be Idea To Turn Off AvoidRuntimeDefrag And Use One Of The Aptiofix***.efi As AvoidRuntimeDefrag Replaced It.

Good news for Skylake users looking to experience the flavors of macOS Ventura on iGPU-only Skylake systems (tested on HD 520). Seeing acceptable iGPU hardware acceleration even with KBL framebuffer (not surprising since KBL is loosely based off SKL, architecture-wise with slight improvements to the 14nm manufacturing process bringing higher base-clock speeds to the CPU while using lower voltage thereby improving performance-per-watt metric essentially making KBL CPUs a better "tuned" version of SKL. With regards to integrated graphics, only KBL's Iris Plus Graphics 650 showcased any significant performance gains with Intel HD 620/630 being largely identical to Intel HD 530/520 found in SKL)

TBH I actually do not see any difference in graphics performance with the HD 520 compared to macOS 12; animations are just as fluid and snappy. Thankfully, only a couple of simple and straightforward patches are required to achieve full graphics acceleration for Skylake on macOS 13 (no need for complex patches like kext replacement, kernel patching etc). Following 3 easy-to-apply attributes are essential:

• for mobile/laptop users, inject recommended KBL framebuffer profile: 0x591B0000 (Big Endian) to AAPL,ig-platform-id  property.
  • inject fake device-id to match against equivalent KBL counterpart, for eg: Intel HD 520 can opt for Intel HD 620's Device ID: 0x5916 to Little Endian 16590000 to device-id property.
  • inject boot-arg: -disablegfxfirmware

Required device-properties reference format for Intel HD 520:

AAPL,ig-platform-id     00001B59       DATA
device-id               16590000       DATA

Two issues currently faced on my Dell Inspiron with current OC build: 1. Due to AvoidRuntimeDefrag currently needing to be disabled for boot into macOS 13 the system now freezes when OS tries to access NVRAM variables, for eg: when changing brightness, un/plugging AC etc (should be fixed soon by Acidanthera team) and 2. display sometimes wakes up to black screen from sleep.

Other than seeing the usual UI-related glitches/intermittent choppiness with the new redesigned System Settings, this build has been pretty stable so far which is kinda baffling given the fact that it's the very first pilot beta and being surprisingly performant even on un-supported hardware.

Absolutely stoked to learn that Skylake owners don't have to be left behind now with acceptable iGPU support on macOS Ventura.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b0daf15987f53bad3fb9f43ac4d2c3f8.png

Edited by aben
Added screenshot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Yeah I understand. Now I had a realization... That's precisely the reason why we can't boot Ventura yet -- we need AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

Once they figure out how to boot Ventura DP1 with this quirk enabled, we are on our marry way... :D

As STLVNUB says it might work with the Aptio fixes, but it could gets tricky as there are more than 6 variations of AptioFix if I recall:

- OSXAptioMemoryFix, OSXAptioFix2, OSXAptioFix3, AptioMemoryFix-64, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64, and EmuVariable64.

However good news! I can confirm also Ventura can now run on Z590 i9 Rocket Lake! You just have to use the following settings:

OC 8.1/8.2

MaxKernel: 22.99.99
CPUID1DATA 55060A00 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPUID1MASK FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000

AvoidRuntimeDefrag NO
AdviseFeatures YES
-lilubetaall
iMac20,2 SMBIOS

This may also work with Comet Lake (not tested yet with Z490).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Middleman said:

As STLVNUB says it might work with the Aptio fixes, but it could gets tricky as there are more than 6 variations of AptioFix if I recall:

- OSXAptioMemoryFix, OSXAptioFix2, OSXAptioFix3, AptioMemoryFix-64, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64, and EmuVariable64.

Thanks I Am Currently Making A USB With ALL OSX Installers, Looking For A Compatible Aptio*

I May Give EmuVariable64 A Try As The Others Don't Work

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

So after a bit of back and forward, i discovered that the issue is with the implementation of avoidRuntimeDefrag in open core, in fact all the systems that doesn't need it can boot macos ventura, while the others gets stuck near pci configuration end, so we have to wait for the acida thera team to figure it out i suppose, and so the only system that can boot it for now are macs (having a firmware that supports apfs booting) and more recent hackintishes. I hope they can figure this issue out soon, because for all i have seen even socket 1366 systems can boot the new os (as my mac pro 5,1 was able to do)

I agree-finally got Ventura on my MSI Z390 Gaming Plus with an Intel core i5 9400F 9th gen Coffee Lake processor🙂

Bootargs and Quirks:

AvoidRuntimeDefrag =NO
AdviseFeatures =YES
-lilubetaall

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 8.47.48 AM.png

Build 1: iMac20,2, i5-9400F, Samsung 16GB DDR4 RAM, MSI Z390 Gaming Plus , Radeon RX580 8GB, OC 0.8.2

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, miliuco said:

Note that all are z390.

Yip that seems to be the general consensus for Z390. I tried the recommended config entries with no result, plus different permutations all ended in failure. Even clean installs got me as far as going through the installation on Disk only to fail on the second reboot. It is an absolute pig of a Version on this board, now I know how the boys with some x99 platform boards felt with Monterey. The struggle is real my people. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There are some mixed results, on my Z690 mainboard I need to disable AvoidRuntimeDefrag but I don't need to use AdviseFeatures and on Z170 rigs AdviseFeatures doesn't work either.

10 minutes ago, ndungu6678 said:

I agree-finally got Ventura on my MSI Z390 Gaming Plus with an Intel core i5 9400F 9th gen Coffee Lake processor🙂

Kindly share your EFI Folder after removing personal data so that the other z390 members can do a comparison - Please.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ndungu6678 said:

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 8.47.48 AM.png

Build 1: iMac20,2, i5-9400F, Samsung 16GB DDR4 RAM, MSI Z390 Gaming Plus , Radeon RX580 8GB, OC 0.8.2

What did you do to get the OS to boot? If it works on the Z390, surely will work on other 300-series mobos.

Edited by PropoFlexWX4
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

What did you do to get the OS to boot? If it works on the Z390, surely will work on other 300-series mobos.

Hi-not sure what made it work?- kept trying different settings with all latest kexts from Dortania Builds and new O.C 0.8.2 till finally it booted- let me post my config.plist  and you gurus can  figure out what made it work!( can't post entire EFI as it exceeds the allowed limit on this forum)

Note -I am using Bootstrap with emulated NVRAM-I also have a modified EFI with additional boot files( not necessary but I just left them in place) built  from BootUtility in windows on Thumbdrive which is what I always now use to boot my hackintosh -made this choice as it solved my problem when booting directly from SSD after experiencing much torture from the notoriously dreaded 'Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] '  KP with O.C 0.8.0 and O.C 0.8.1 in Monterey -I now no longer resort to booting directly from SSD-always  from modified thumb drive!- hope this helps someone!

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 9.28.34 AM.png

config.plist nvram.plist

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 9.46.23 AM.png

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ndungu6678 said:

( can't post entire EFI as it exceeds the allowed limit on this forum)

Even if you compress and zip it? :surprised:

Ok I can see why its a problem because of the size. You've near enough got everything included and enabled in the config.plist i.e kexts and drivers even for Legacy installation so I dare say among all those files, kexts, and settings something stuck and allowed the installation. To be honest given all of that, I wouldn't know where to start sorting all that out for a comparison but thanks for the upload, maybe someone more knowledgeable than my humble self can glean something from your config.plist. Thanks.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, surenmunoo said:

What changes did you make. Which version of OC?

I updated OC to 0.8.2 and all the kexts to their latest version and disabled AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Even if you compress and zip it? :surprised:

Ok I can see why its a problem because of the size. You've near enough got everything included and enabled in the config.plist i.e kexts and drivers even for Legacy installation so I dare say among all those files, kexts, and settings something stuck and allowed the installation. To be honest given all of that, I wouldn't know where to start sorting all that out for a comparison but thanks for the upload, maybe someone more knowledgeable than my humble self can glean something from your config.plist. Thanks.

More Than Likely Has The APPLE Folder In It

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

May Be Idea To Turn Off AvoidRuntimeDefrag And Use One Of The Aptiofix***.efi As AvoidRuntimeDefrag Replaced It.

it won't work because it's incompatible with the way the bootloaders work nowadays, but you can maybe use an older clover  (before the switch to oc as the backend) to boot using an aptiofix, and it might boot up to some point but due to the lack of kext injection you will not complete boot, because you will need virtual smc + lilu (or fakesmc) to be loaded at early stages of boot, and so even if you install those inside a pre-made system installation it might not work.

All of this aptio fix stuff is really a bad idea, we need the acidanthera team to figure out a fix to the booter code in oc to solve it and continue using the proper software for hackintoshing. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Judging by his EFI and System Profile, I would think he was using around OC 0.5.9-0.6.5. because Bootstrap was removed after 0.6.6.

Also he has spoofed what looks like a Comet Lake i9 chip to his i5 9400F setup.

Don't know what I've done....

Tried the emu*.efi now I'm stuck in an unrecoverable mode

I turn on computer and it goes straight to OC menu really fast

Used to take about 30 seconds, now its like it has been burned into my rom.

Can't use a mouse and keyboard don't work

W E I R D

Sorry for off topic 

• Haha 1

Just now, STLVNUB said:

Don't know what I've done....

Tried the emu*.efi now I'm stuck in an unrecoverable mode

I turn on computer and it goes straight to OC menu really fast

Used to take about 30 seconds, now its like it has been burned into my rom.

Can't use a mouse and keyboard don't work

W E I R D

Sorry for off topic 

Which version of OC are you using? Is it the one with the Bootstrap folder added?

• Like 1