[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Slice said:

"wake during the night" is PowerNap which is checked for you.

Thanks - will try your suggestion. Another query, is 'Put hard drives to sleep when possible' option for mechanical drives (spinning disk type) if in the system hence that option is not available in Energy Saver? That is my thinking but I maybe wrong.

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

Thanks - will try your suggestion. Another query, is 'Put hard drives to sleep when possible' option for mechanical drives (spinning disk type) if in the system hence that option is not available in Energy Saver? That is my thinking but I maybe wrong.

438160320_ScreenShot2021-09-16at5_30_20PM.thumb.png.3ac5992c4adeef2060db4656d707f1a2.png

I don't have any mechanical drives but that option is shown. What you see here, I think, is a combination of your SMBIOS, your motherboard energy settings, and maybe whatever ACPI patches you may have done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WizeMan said:

I don't have any mechanical drives but that option is shown. What you see here, I think, is a combination of your SMBIOS, your motherboard energy settings, and maybe whatever ACPI patches you may have done.

Funny thing is that option only appears when I have more than one EFI Folder in the system i.e one for BS and one for Monterey. At the moment I boot BS and Monterey using just one EFI Folder residing on the EFI Partition of the Monterey disk. I let the machine sleep for a couple of hours using @Slice recommendation and it seems to be ok but I will leave over night and see the result.

Guys, end of Sept 2021 is nearing, which means release for all to use and not just testers is imminent.

Any wild/educated guesstimates on macOS 12.0 Monterey RTM/Final release possible release dates as of now, please? :) 

Edited by Naki
grammar/clarity

@Naki There will be quite a few more betas before final release, that is my opinion because Monterey is not nearly as stable in my particular environment as Big Sur is currently proving to be. 

Regards Henties

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Naki There will be quite a few more betas before final release, that is my opinion because Monterey is not nearly as stable in my particular environment as Big Sur is currently proving to be. 

Regards Henties

I’m of a different opinion, I think Monterey has been super stable on both my Intel laptop and amd desktop and we should expect a release announcement soonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On 9/21/2021 at 4:11 AM, SavageAUS said:

I’m of a different opinion, I think Monterey has been super stable on both my Intel laptop and amd desktop and we should expect a release announcement soonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbsup_anim: Same here for me as well, boots faster than BS, no glitches or freezing, super impressive so much so that I use it as my daily driver but still have BS incase of an emergency.

Another fact to add, I am constantly hitting it with nightly OC releases with no adverse effects to the performance, at the moment running with OC 0.7.4 (03162e0) release.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 6

On 9/21/2021 at 6:37 AM, eSaF said:

:thumbsup_anim: Same here for me as well, boots faster than BS, no glitches or freezing, super impressive so much so that I use it as my daily driver but still have BS incase of an emergency.

Another fact to add, I am constantly hitting it with nightly OC releases with no adverse effects to the performance, at the moment running with OC 0.7.4 (03162e0) release.

Same here for me also. @Naki @Henties @SavageAUS

• Like 4

@All. I am aware that Monterey is acceptable and preferable to a number of users here, however my main hacks, with the Intel i225-V onboard network implementation just do not cut it in my particular environment, whereas with Big Sur I experience no problems whatsoever with the i225-V.

I can of cause disable the i225-V NIC in bios and run Monterey on WiFi, but who wants to do that ? The available local 5G WiFi bandwidth will then invariably have to be shared between all my portable devices, limiting the overall data throughput of my hacks to much less than 1 GB, which is constantly available on a per port connection basis on a properly switched CAT-6 ethernet backbone. WiFi is therefore not considered an option on a permanent basis..

All my hacks run with 2 network interfaces the second being a gigabit AX88179 USB-3 lan controller which works flawlessly under Big Sur but is not configurable under Monterey at all. That USB lan controller is used as an ethernet backbone for an extensive DANTE based audio distribution network, without which I am not prepared to work.

I am also using Audio Highjack as well as Airfoil 2, both by Amoeba, and not yet working under Monterey.

In the end I may have to free up and sacrifice a PCIe slot - 4 lanes - for a type Aquantia AQ107 add on card, and my Monterey networking woes should be partially over, but it is still early days, in the meantime I will continue plodding along happily with Big Sur, on all my hacks.

An update for Monterey seems imminent, Xcode 13 and Safari 15 is already being seeded by Apple for Big Sur, an upgrade to the latest macOS currently under development, in this case Monterey, can be expected to follow shortly on their heels - my guess is tonight CAT.

Greetings Henties

Edit: Safari 15.00 is great, I love it.

Edited by Henties

On 9/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, Slice said:

Agree. Monterey is fast and stable, I installed it over BigSur and have no BigSur now.

Exactly the same with me on a AMD build, Everything bar the SmallTree.kext is perfect and we are working on trying to get AppleGB working properly over at AMDOSX as a replacement for the smalltree kext. 
Big Sur left my system from Monterey Beta 3 and I couldn’t be happier with it. :)

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Quick question, in my Mac mini 2018 with mcOS Monterey 12 Beta (21A5506j) I was able to enable dark mode in google and in Microsoft Office, but in my hack at home that option don't appear to enable.

That is a limitation of our hacks, or I have something wrong in my hack?

Thanks 

On 9/21/2021 at 7:04 PM, MorenoAv said:

Hi guys,

Quick question, in my Mac mini 2018 with mcOS Monterey 12 Beta (21A5506j) I was able to enable dark mode in google and in Microsoft Office, but in my hack at home that option don't appear to enable.

That is a limitation of our hacks, or I have something wrong in my hack?

Thanks 

I have no GoogleChrome nor Microsoft Office and can't check but I see not reason for this issue.

Yandex.browser is like a Google and have this option

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 19.11.30.png

• Like 2

Beta 7 is out as noted by Wayang-NT.  I had to change my SecureBootModel from x86legacy to j160 for the update to be seen by my system.  I'm still on OC 0.7.2.  Does anyone know if x86legacy + OC 0.7.3 is working to push the Beta updates or will we have to temporarily change our security model to j160 each iteration? 

Edited by dehjomz

On 9/21/2021 at 6:39 PM, dehjomz said:

Does anyone know if x86legacy + OC 0.7.3 is working to push the Beta updates or will we have to temporarily change our security model to j160 each iteration?

I've got x86legacy+ in the nightly version OC 0.7.4 and the update showed up right away, at the moment it's downloading so hopefully install will be trouble free.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, eSaF said:

I've got x86legacy+ in the nightly version OC 0.7.4

From where can we download the nightly builds? What I know of is https://dortania.github.io/builds/ but this appears to require me to download each element one by one, I was wondering if you have a source that has the entire package with kexts, etc. as a nightly build.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:07 PM, dehjomz said:

From where can we download the nightly builds? What I know of is https://dortania.github.io/builds/ but this appears to require me to download each element one by one, I was wondering if you have a source that has the entire package with kexts, etc. as a nightly build.

Here you are - https://github.com/dortania/build-repo - not only OC but other files as well.

• Like 1