[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

I know @antuneddu, but I'm lazy and is easier to install a program than, booting into Windows 11 and renaming "C" drive, and then booting again in macOS Monterey... 

But I'll have to do that if uninstalling remove the effects, and the drive appear in desktop...

Thanks 

• Haha 1

Sorry but it does not work.
Downloaded this HUGE ~11 GB file, but when I run it on my VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.x macOS Monterey older Beta VM, running on top of Windows 10 64-bit, I am not getting anything useful, I am afraid.
It shows something that is 35 MB (?? Where did the 11 GB go?) in size, installs that -- whatever it is, then stops saying installation has been successful (green checkmark shows).
But then NO new Beta version gets installed, or offered? Any ideas what is wrong here, and why? :cry:

You might get help on the VMware thread, here it is off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 2:59 PM, Shaneee said:

Your SecureBootModel is j185f. Set it to j160 and reboot and you'll get the update notification. While it's downloading set it back to j185f. Simple as that.

Thanks so much AudioGod and Shaneee!-after changing SecureBootModel to j160 voila!-update finally showed up for me -downloading right now and have changed SecureBootModel back to j137-SMBIOS -iMacPro1,1

Was about to download full InstallPackage but this worked!

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 9.10.55 PM.png

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, antuneddu said:

🙂 It was enough to put a dot . in front of the name of the disk example  .Windows11   is not shown on the desktop but is accessible from the Finder 

Awesome tip Brother, That works a treat. :)

Before that I was preventing my Windows drives from mounting at startup but this is a much nicer solution.

Thank You Buddy. 👌

• Like 2

So I used Monterey for like 2 days now. Mostly to install all my Audio Software and plugins on it and at this stage it feels pretty stable already. Some Plugins and Apps don't work but most of it does. I feel that with Big Sur it took a lot longer until it was useable.

8 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

So I used Monterey for like 2 days now. Mostly to install all my Audio Software and plugins on it and at this stage it feels pretty stable already. Some Plugins and Apps don't work but most of it does. I feel that with Big Sur it took a lot longer until it was useable.

This is kind of expected. Big Sur introduced a lot of changes to make it (internally) more aligned with the iOS/iPadOS world, and to include the new M1 processors, whereas Monterey Jack cheese is just a bunch of updates on top of this new foundation. I'm curious to find out how long will the Intel processors be an option for the Mac line of products. Not only to know how long will the Hackintosh thrill with newest stuff, but to find out which other high performance options not AMD, Intel and Nvidia based we have available for both CPU and GPUs.

• Thanks 1

My guess is about 3 to 5 years after the last line of Macs with Intel CPUs have been released until X86 Support will be dropped. Because you can't ship a 2.300 $ iMac in the fall 2021 (hypothecially) and in 2022 you can no longer install the latest macOS. That would be a bad look for Apple as far as product and customer support is concerned. For me, there's no alternative to macOS as far as work is concerned since I work in the field of audio. Windows is horrible for that. So unless some company get's into ARM for the PC consumer market and somehow these chips can run macOS (which is unlikely) I will probably have no other choice than buying an Apple machine – which is a frightening idea for me really.

I managed to get beta 6 show up with CLOVER. This is what I did:

1) updated CLOVER from 5138 to 5139 (no effect)

2) switched from VirtualSMC to FakeSMC with SMCHelper.efi (no effect)

3) changed SMBIOS from iMacPro1,1 to iMac17,1 and deleted NVRAM (update shows up)

Hope this helps!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ombra88 said:

When I tried If I am not mistaken the smbios needed to run both r9 290x and iGpu with Haswell is not supported by monterey

I don't know how it is proposed to solve with Opencore but for Clover is it ordinary task to set SMBIOS model as iMac15,1 but Board-ID as Mac-77F17D7DA9285301 assuming both dGPU and iGPU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slice said:

I don't know how it is proposed to solve with Opencore but for Clover is it ordinary task to set SMBIOS model as iMac15,1 but Board-ID as Mac-77F17D7DA9285301 assuming both dGPU and iGPU.

I see and thank you for the info!! Unfortunately I’d like to make it work on OC 😕

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ombra88 said:
7 hours ago, Slice said:

I see and thank you for the info!! Unfortunately I’d like to make it work on OC 😕

Slice provided a perfect solution.  The problem for you is that OC does not yet allow sufficient configurability of SMBIOS.  Since you have access to the OC developers on this forum, you might suggest a future improvement by adding Board ID to the PlatformInfo/Generic section of the config.plist.  In the meantime, I have both Clover and OC in my EFI and use the boot selector that can be installed to BOOT in EFI to allow me to switch between Clover and OC at will.  (The boot selector can be installed as part of the Clover installer package.) It's amazing how far bootloaders have come in the OSx86 community.  Since Clover has been around longer than OC, it has more features.  I understand the allure of OC and I use it more often than Clover myself but OC still has a ways to go before it matches Clover in configurability.  Props to Slice.  It's sad to see him have to pitch Clover like it was 3-day old fish.  It's not.

To Mods:  Sorry that this was off-topic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@ombra88 In OpenCore's sample-custom.plist there's a field for the Board ID called "BoardProduct" under PlatformInfo > SMBIOS which is the equivalent to BoardID in Clover.

Edited by 5T33Z0