[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

As I recall, there isn't a really good fix for a broken seal....is there?

Unfortunately there isn't I'm afraid as far as I know, the only fix is a full and clean install.

9 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Over on the AMD side of life what we are finding using macpro7,1 or iMacpro1,1 using OC is unless the SecureBootModel is set to j160 the update fails to appear but also leaving it set on j160 make the update fail so it’s a case of having to use j160 to find the update and while it’s downloading reverting the SecureBootModel back to Default or disabled so when it restarts the install will complete…lol.

Also it’s happening to Intel users too using the same smbios as above plus others. 
It’s a bit of a process but it’s working for most.

What is the magic letters "j160"? It looks like SMC revision.

I forgot to mention that I am using FakeSMC.kext and SMCHelper.efi. May be this is the key.

I’m going to try the update again tonight with clover on both my machines (Intel and amd) both using virtualsmc. If this doesn’t get the update showing I’ll try with fakesmc and failing that I’ll use a USB OC boot.
Both have SIP enabled so that shouldn’t be the issue, seals are unbroken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand, the update preferences expect you to use a secure boot model other than x86legacy if you are using a T2 SMBIOS. Issue with that is that fails during the actual update due to not actually having a T2. If you use a non-T2 SMBIOS, then x86legacy is expected. From all the posts before, it seems that non-T2 smbioses aren't really having issues. I haven't had a chance to mess around on my X1 Extreme yet, but its spoofed as a MacBookPro15,1. I could totally be wrong, but I think it's SMBIOS and secure boot related (apple secure boot, not UEFI secure boot). Was going to try and see if the update appears tomorrow with it disabled, and set to x86legacy and j137. I haven't updated my laptop though since Beta 2 lol. Just downloaded Beta 5 to update from.

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Shaneee said:

Link does not work and is invalid?

My Google Chrome browser (running on Windows 10 OS) "shudders" for a bit, then nothing happens - no download starts.

Can you please download this, then put it into another, working location so we can get it? :) 

3 minutes ago, Naki said:

Link does not work and is invalid?

My Google Chrome browser (running on Windows 10 OS) "shudders" for a bit, then nothing happens - no download starts.

Can you please download this, then put it into another, working location so we can get it? :) 

Hello

Try this URL : https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/41/36/071-90564-A_7W7WHLSY3Z/fx095l2r9n27ykzxmviuycydg88h86fjv7/InstallAssistant.pkg

12 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Nice to hear from you eSaF!

Likewise my friend, hope all is well with you and yours. Glad to see you are still potting away on the hackintosh scene. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by eSaF

4 hours ago, Slice said:

What is the magic letters "j160"? It looks like SMC revision.

I forgot to mention that I am using FakeSMC.kext and SMCHelper.efi. May be this is the key.

Hi Slice.

On a laptop : Asus X75VB IvyBridge I5-3340M, HD4000 External SSD Sandisk Ultra  (MBP10,2) with Monterey 12.0 beta6 (21A5506j) Clover r5138 (a0c543f) Xcode8 and VirtualSMC5702984_Capturedecran2021-08-31a21_39_48.png.209eb0807ed63a5d53891d24ae52d68c.png

Capture d’écran 2021-08-31 à 11.41.11.png

Edited by matxpa
Add DL screenshot

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @all

For Beta 6, here my Windows HDD is showing as external drive despite his grey icon like in previous Monterey Beta versions. 😪 Let me known if a solution exist, please.

In Beta 6 my windows partition shown as usual, as any other disk partitions. Grey metallic.

1 minute ago, Slice said:

In Beta 6 my windows partition shown as usual, as any other disk partitions. Grey metallic.

In Finder preferences, I select only external drive for USB stick. Monterey shows up correctly USB drive.... and my separate Windows HDD. So I suppose that Monterey do not recognize the Windows HDD as an Internal drive despite grey icon.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

In Finder preferences, I select only external drive for USB stick. Monterey shows up correctly USB drive.... and my separate Windows HDD. So I suppose that Monterey do not recognize the Windows HDD as an Internal drive despite grey icon.

Same for me too. It shows the Windows Disk on the Deskop and in Finder it even shows an "Eject" icon next to it in the sidebar. But I think it has always been this way with Monterey as far as I can remember.

4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Same for me too. It shows the Windows Disk on the Deskop and in Finder it even shows an "Eject" icon next to it in the sidebar. But I think it has always been this way with Monterey as far as I can remember.

All non-APFS partitions are ejectable

% diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩         399.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         171.8 GB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data ⁨Change⁩                  29.6 GB    disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data ⁨Windows10⁩               199.5 GB   disk0s5
   6:           Windows Recovery ⁨⁩                        554.7 MB   disk0s6
   7:         Microsoft Reserved ⁨⁩                        16.8 MB    disk0s7
   8:                  Apple_HFS ⁨DataHD⁩                  199.2 GB   disk0s8

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 18.31.45.png

• Like 2

Well, that was not the point. The point was that in Monterey, a Windows Disk is detected as an external Drive and therefore is displayed alongside USB Sticks and external drives connected via USB cable – even if  the option to have internal drives displayed on desktop is turned off…

2010392895_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-01um18_47_51.png.3902bf17dccd63853f907c8c0df9a695.png

862275761_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-01um18_48_00.png.ea1675303e6071593f7b986f987c007c.png

Edited by 5T33Z0

8 hours ago, bisdak4920 said:

I solve my Windows 11 SSD showing as external disk by installing a trial version of iBoysoft NTFS for Mac. After installing the Windows 11 disappeared. It works for me and there is no harm in trying.

It works, man... finally, I get rid of that icon... 

Thanks

PS: If i uninstall the program, the effect stays, or the icon appears again?