[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

Is anyone who's running the Big Sur beta have an Aquantia AQC107 10gbps ethernet PCIe card that loads?  I have one that in Catalina works perfect, without need for kext modifications, or otherwise.  But in Big Sur Beta1 and Beta2, the Aquantia.kext won't load for the PCIe card.  I have the same card in a thunderbolt enclosure, and the AquantiaKext loads.  Why it works via thunderbolt but not via PCIe??  

Is it a bug in the Beta or is it Apple is restricting us from using Aquantia 10 gbps?

3 hours ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Reporting a Succesfull direct Upgrade from 10.15.5 to 11.0 Beta 2.

Everything works so far. OS feels snappy and stable.

Hello @PropoFlexWX4 i have MSI B250 Mortal with i5 7600 Intel Prozessor and work with Intel Graphic HD 630,

Can you please writ we have Update from 10.15.5 to 11.0 Beta 2 ?

have you with Open Core or Clover ? and please send here the Your EFI-Folder please. Thank you.

1 hour ago, MaLd0n said:

Here. Folder for Skylake+. in some cases need change things in Booter Quirks

EFI BigSur Skylake+.zip

Some observations

Boot from USB / Disable booter-fileset-kernel and booter-fileset-basesystem

Boot from SSD / Enable these options if need

Work in beta 2 too

Create your USB stick with createinstallmedia and paste this EFI folder into EFI partition, reboot, Reset Nvram

Thank you maldon.  It finally worked!  The update process took about 3~4 reboots.

I am able to boot to Big Sur and to the installer with OC and with Clover.  I am running Beta 2 on a USB drive.  That's my problem:  I cannot get Big Sur to see my internal drives.  Running Big Sur on an external drive is BS.  I want my SSD speed back.  Since @MaLd0n is here on this thread, I am wondering whether he might figure out how to make an SSDT patch that makes macOS think that the internal drives are external drives and therefore visible.  I know this is only a workaround and that, at some point, someone will need to figure out what IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is doing to preclude the OS from seeing the internal drives.  I notice for me that it's all internal drives:  SATA, M.2, and ATAPI.  I would really appreciate some insight into what might be going on here.  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I am able to boot to Big Sur and to the installer with OC and with Clover.  I am running Beta 2 on a USB drive.  That's my problem:  I cannot get Big Sur to see my internal drives.  Running Big Sur on an external drive is BS.  I want my SSD speed back.  Since @MaLd0n is here on this thread, I am wondering whether he might figure out how to make an SSDT patch that makes macOS think that the internal drives are external drives and therefore visible.  I know this is only a workaround and that, at some point, someone will need to figure out what IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is doing to preclude the OS from seeing the internal drives.  I notice for me that it's all internal drives:  SATA, M.2, and ATAPI.  I would really appreciate some insight into what might be going on here.  Thanks.

Can you enable any sort of hot plug? Usually a "hot plug" device gets shown as external.

13 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Can you enable any sort of hot plug? Usually a "hot plug" device gets shown as external.

Unfortunately, my laptop does not have any external SATA connectors.  I can definitely connect via USB and USB-c.  But I recall that MaLd0n's pci patch for DSDT has a variable for whether the device is internal or external.  That may just be cosmetic but, if it's not, maybe a patch that makes my internal drives appear to be external drives might work.

4 hours ago, Alex HQuest said:

I’ve built a USB installer with BS b2, and no matter which SMC I use (VirtualSMC with or without boot flag vsmcver=1, 2 or 3; RehabMan’s FakeSMC; or Slice’s FakeSMC3), resetting NVRAM (either via OC “Reset NVRAM” option or Clover’s F11 key), I still get the SIGABRT errors. Last OC built from sources of July 7 around 8PM EDT. This is annoyingly disappointing :(

Catalina used to boot just fine until it was wiped for a VM based DMG image; BS b1 boots just fine, but I cannot upgrade to b2.

Any more ideas?

For a little experience, im try install without EFI on partition target (disk where you install), because im not sure, but OC maybe cause conflicts. Suffering to put the same EFI only in usb, always Reset Nvram, but when need to boot at "final lap" to get welcome page to login, its necessary other EFI, not the you will use for boot normally. Sometimes happens that need change last "untouched" (running installed) and change for that Nvram patcher. Very sinister...

And im try reinstall (or get comes ate install) again, with the first "untouched" EFI on usb bootable, but always had a BIG BUG!! :unsure:

On my desktop its fine and easy, with help from MaLD0n im get install from usb in both, my Lenovo and my Desktop... works fine, som bugs with spotlight because im use to much, but that's all right...the better will come soon...:P

Captura de Tela 2020-07-08 às 02.43.24.png

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 2

Updating from Big Sur beta 1 to beta 2, I am getting "Download failed", check internet connection, its not an internet connection issue...

thoughts ?

Just now, Donw35 said:

Updating from Big Sur beta 1 to beta 2, I am getting "Download failed", check internet connection, its not an internet connection issue...

thoughts ?

I had the same issue. I followed this script by provided @Max.1974

• Like 1

So i got stuck in the reboot loop trying to install Beta 2 so i decided to reinstall Beta 1......should have been easy right? I've had it installed before, no changes and no luck either.

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

Ok I got there!!!!! - This is how I got past the contant reboots trying to upgrade to Beta 2- I used Crazybirdy's 'InstallScript_1016 full app' to download Beta 2 (Took approx 30 mins and places it on the desktop). After the download finished, I clicked on it and installed it directly over Beta 1 and the magic started. At times it looked like it was hanging but I let it do it's thing and after 4 reboots it went to the desktop :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah, I did a second clean install last night and before I started the installation I rebuilt the kexts once again (Apple ALC had some updates) after the second boot it seemed to be frozen but I let it do what it needed to do and went to bed and when I woke up I and turned the display on I was greeted with the Welcome Screen :)

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.54.43 AM.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

Same here, im download from update and left PC for a while, when im back, Boom!! Its already installed...normaly!!!

:hysterical:

Same here, I just left it on download, went away for 40 minutes or so and voila! Opencore did everything for me and I'm in beta 2 already

• Like 3

update to BS beta 2 ...working all ... but when wakw to sleep  screen is without contrast and monitor change to other setting ... image is blur and without brightness ... why ? ...WEG ? use last .. compiled today ...

Edited by corint1

success .. direct install from 20A499v to  20A4300b

System Software Overview:

System Version: macOS 10.16 (20A4300b)

Kernel Version: Darwin 20.0.0

Boot Volume: BigSur

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: pico’s iMac

User Name: pico (pico)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

yout just need wait some time in this freeze

Thank you, the installation went on after about half an hour. 
The upgrading procedure seems quite different from previous versions. It never boot into GUI and just finished and reboot while still in verbose mode. After reboot I got version 20A4300b Beta 2 up and running. It’s a bit confusing though. Seems apple kept their promise about making system updates faster. 

Can't get the update done from Big Sur Beta 1 to Beta 2 on my Hackintosh with latest OC build and kexts.

Update is starting and installing. Multiple reboots including Apple screen with "X minutes remaining". After installation Big Sur starts and I see the setup assistant (Apple ID, ask Siri, iCloud Sync, and so on). Once I finished set-up I am back on the Desktop but still on Beta 1. Tried multiple times - no luck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I tried an install from USB with BETA 2 after doing a RESET NVRAM.

Managed to do the install and complete the first 2 stages. On the 3rd stage I have to choose the preboot option under OC and then it starts a boot and goes into a reboot cycle....

Using the latest commit of OC 0.6.0 and the latest Kexts generated using OC Builder. My boot-args are set as follows. Anyone any clues?

Spoiler

1690936223_ScreenShot2020-07-08at12_43_54PM.thumb.png.94a511c92db173c2c2bbe21c80c2c632.png