[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, manmo71 said:

I tried an install from USB with BETA 2 after doing a RESET NVRAM.

Managed to do the install and complete the first 2 stages. On the 3rd stage I have to choose the preboot option under OC and then it starts a boot and goes into a reboot cycle....

Using the latest commit of OC 0.6.0 and the latest Kexts generated using OC Builder. My boot-args are set as follows. Anyone any clues?

Hide contents

1690936223_ScreenShot2020-07-08at12_43_54PM.thumb.png.94a511c92db173c2c2bbe21c80c2c632.png

It's vsmcgen=1 not -vsmcgen=1

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah, I did a second clean install last night and before I started the installation I rebuilt the kexts once again (Apple ALC had some updates) after the second boot it seemed to be frozen but I let it do what it needed to do and went to bed and when I woke up I and turned the display on I was greeted with the Welcome Screen :)

Reveal hidden contents

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.54.43 AM.png

Hey mate, can you share your efi please?

18 minutes ago, dannyboy9 said:

Thanks man, I was just about to make a efi for a backup broadwell system. Are you using this with a dedicated GPU?

Yes I do have an R9 270X

11 minutes ago, dariuxzy said:

thank you ;)

You're welcome :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy9 said:

It's vsmcgen=1 not -vsmcgen=1

@dannyboy9 Thank you for noticing that and correcting me.

This is what happens when you are tirelessly trying to get something to work, you might miss those little things.

I did change it but still keeps rebooting...

Looking @ these screenshots if someone can figure out what the problem might be, that will be great....

Spoiler

531656005_ScreenShot2020-07-08at1_24_52PM.thumb.png.d073cbac705f6bca829f7a5ec12f9878.png

754280974_ScreenShot2020-07-08at1_26_00PM.thumb.png.e02d8079ab6e1a0362e4ca3317c3b8d2.png

Edited by manmo71
Changes to content and thank fellow hackintosher..
  • Like 1

@dariuxzy - To get past that point (constant re-boots) I had to find and download Beta2 independently and then directly update over Beta1. The Inbuilt Updater gave me that error so I had to use the fore mentioned work around. Good luck.

Edited by eSaF

Can someone explain the process please in Big Sur to

1) mount root volume as read write

2) copy over a kext

3) rebuild kext cache and kernel collections, and any other necessary commands?

i want to try using the Catalina version of the Aquantia kext because Big Sur version doesn’t load on my 10gbps pcie card (even though the info.plist of the Big Sur AquantiaEthernet kext claims to be compatible with my device-id 0xd107).

this Ethernet card works flawlessly in Catalina without need to patch anything, but the Aquantia driver in Big Sur refuses to attach to my pcie card. 

thanks. 

Edited by dehjomz

1 hour ago, Sherlocks said:

Reach BigSur beta2:yes:

Hide contents

1568287597_2020-07-088_08_47.png.588cfa2ea2fbea0b06ea9e9489939a56.png

I thought it was yours with SandyBridge + Intel HD 3000 #LOL

Oh, hai.. is 'Unsupported machines for Big Sur' even allowed on this thread? Such as one with Sandy, or Arrandale or Penryn etc? Thanks.

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

update to BS beta 2 ...working all (wifi, bt, sleep, etc etc ) ... but when wake to sleep  screen is without contrast and monitor change to other setting ... image is blur and without brightness ... why ? ...WEG ? use last .. compiled today ...

fix it : -rad24 and -webbeta ...boot arg ... install to BS  is very simple ...for any hack ... just a little warming brain

Edited by corint1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bisdak4920 said:

Hi Cyberdevs, I can boot my usb using your EFI but when it starts installing to target SSD, it will at 3 min remaining and then a message saying update problem. Any idea where the problem is?

No man I don't know what's wrong on your rig sorry.

1 hour ago, dariuxzy said:

i used your efi and i set it up better for my haswell laptop, but i stopped here (as this men). What could it be? Thanks

I did a clean install and there was no issues at my end so I'm not sure what is causing the reboots on your end.

While I still cannot boot the installer off USB, or enter Recovery, I was able to install the beta 2 update (after manually downloading the InstallAssistant.pkg) by disconnecting the stupid Corsair CommanderPro from the internal USB header. This device uses the same name as an external UPS. Because if offers no power information but matches a battery provider, macOS believes the system is running out of juice and a lot of things act weird.

While I still cannot boot the installer off USB, or enter Recovery, I was able to install the beta 2 update (after manually downloading the InstallAssistant.pkg) by disconnecting the stupid Corsair CommanderPro from the internal USB header. This device uses the same name as an external UPS. Because if offers no power information but matches a battery provider, macOS believes the system is running out of juice and a lot of things act weird.

Yeah that was happening in Catalina as well for me, I’m hoping to bypass the commander pro in my next build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have this weird problem,

i installed Big Sur after a lot of headache, and i could use the system, after a reboot i get :

This version of Mac OS X in not supported on this platform!

while i use iMac 19.1 smbios, and i could use the system first time,

does it have to do that i only see Big sur - data partition,  and not Big sur partition ?

Spoiler

IMG_3002.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_3003.jpg

Edited by ham4ever

1 minute ago, ham4ever said:

i have this weird problem,

i installed Big Sur after a lot of headache, and i could use the system, after a reboot i get :

This version of Mac OS X in not supported on this platform!

while i use iMac 19.1 smbios, and i could use the system first time,

does it have to do that i only see Big sur - data partition,  and not Big sur partition ?

wow, you really shouldn't have all those EFIs, use only 1 EFI. Do testing with a USB drive with the same EFI with slight modifications from the original EFI for testing.

• Like 1

Just now, Pavo said:

wow, you really shouldn't have all those EFIs, use only 1 EFI. Do testing with a USB drive with the same EFI with slight modifications from the original EFI for testing.

these EFI are all on seperated SSD's , one for High Sierra, one for Big sur, and one for USB installation

1 minute ago, ham4ever said:

these EFI are all on seperated SSD's , one for High Sierra, one for Big sur, and one for USB installation

You don't need to use a separate EFI for individual macOS versions though. 

5 minutes ago, Pavo said:

You don't need to use a separate EFI for individual macOS versions though. 

yes thats true , but i have GTX 1070 thats only supported in High Sierra (UHD 630 doesn't work in High sierra ) , and i use UHD 630 in Big Sur and it needs to be patched, i know its a mess :hysterical: