AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

It's been a week now that I moved to F11L and so far it's been less stable compared to my experience with F11c.

Every couple of sleep cycles my computer freezes, a lot of HD activity, screen goes black and I'll have to reboot.

That didn't happen with F11c and OC60-61 -- rock stable.

Hopefully it will be more stable once I move to BS...

Ive been running F11L for a good while now (way before I posted it on here) and haven’t had any issues like that at all..

You sure you haven’t got a underlying problem that’s causing it to freeze?

If your running a overclock of any kind be it CPU or Memory then turn it off to see if it’s the cause.

Also when you say it’s freezing are you talking a fully system lock (hard drives no longer ticking etc) or Is it USB going down?

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

I haven't changed anything. No overclock or fancy stuff, just plain vanilla.

When my computer wakes up after a sleep (not the first sleep, but after sleep, wake, work, sleep, wake, work, sleep, wake, work, sleep -- so 4th or 5th sleep) then it wakes up, allows me to enter my password. Then at first it's slow, HD light goes crazy, then it responds, then it locks, shows beachball and eventually goes black.

4 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

I haven't changed anything. No overclock or fancy stuff, just plain vanilla.

When my computer wakes up after a sleep (not the first sleep, but after sleep, wake, work, sleep, wake, work, sleep, wake, work, sleep -- so 4th or 5th sleep) then it wakes up, allows me to enter my password. Then at first it's slow, HD light goes crazy, then it responds, then it locks, shows beachball and eventually goes black.

Holly Cow,

Ive never seen that happen before tbh bro.

Theres got to be a reason for it me thinks.

6 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

It's so unpredictable. I cannot find any irregularities in system.log either.

Have you got a spare drive to do a instal too just to make sure its hardware and not software based?

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

Have you got a spare drive to do a instal too just to make sure its hardware and not software based?

@AudioGod - I maybe delving into it too deep here but to me that smacks of a hardware problem. My assumption comes about a similar problem I had on my GA-Z87X-OC FORCE, it would boot, sleep/wake all normal behaviour, then after a few hours everything would lock solid forcing a hard reboot. After spending many frustrating days trying to see if it was a software problem, uninstalling every non Apple apps and just running the OS X, the problem was still there. So I deduced it was not software related so the other place I needed to look was hardware. Poking around the case, I noticed one corner of the CPU cooling block was not locked down securely, as a matter of fact had a fair bit of movement on the CPU which led me to believe that cooling was not effective and I didn't think to monitor my temps hence the lock up. To cure this I removed the cooling system, cleaned the old paste off both CPU and Cooling block applied fresh paste and made sure the block was secured properly this time. That absolutely cured my problem, I am not saying this is absolutely his problem but worth a thought, p/c lock ups can be a pig to trace best of times because of the two areas one have to look, both software and hardware including the board maybe has developed a fault. Another way to test (if dual-booting) see if the same behaviour is on Windows.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

All fair assumptions, but why now? Why after the BIOS update and not before?

Fair play but if it is the bios why is it only happening to you?

Them pesky Gremlins Hey? 

Edited by AudioGod

1 hour ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

All fair assumptions, but why now? Why after the BIOS update and not before?

OK - I f you believe this only started to happen after a BIOS update then logically I would look into going back to the previous version and monitor the p/c to see if it is indeed the fault of the new BIOS version, but as AG said - 'Why only you' - but have a look at the BIOS theory.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

you’re reading my mind. 
and why only me? Perhaps some weird incompatibility between this new bios and my h/w configuration?
(If all fails, blame fenvi, right? :hysterical:)

What smbios are you using and also are you using a custom colour profile for your monitor by any chance?

Also one more thing, how are you getting sound?  Via hdmi to your monitor or external speakers from the 3.5mm output?

Edited by AudioGod

SMBIOS?

custom colour?

Yes <— could be it, as i updated it two months ago...

sound?
-Via HDMI works (to my monitor and the monitor has 3.5mm out), but I don’t use it. This has been like this from day 1, nothing weird or so).

-via  3.5mm out back to speakers.

- via usb dac (dragonfly) to headphones <— for two months now. i pull this out when i stop working the computer, so it never sleeps with the dac attached.

1 minute ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

SMBIOS?

custom colour?

Yes <— could be it, as i updated it two months ago...

sound?
-Via HDMI works (to my monitor and the monitor has 3.5mm out), but I don’t use it. This has been like this from day 1, nothing weird or so).

-via  3.5mm out back to speakers.

- via usb dac (dragonfly) to headphones <— for two months now. i pull this out when i stop working the computer, so it never sleeps with the dac attached.

Custom monitor colour profiles seem to do weird stuff with macOS (real Macs inc) including freezing after sleep so yes stop using it and go back to a standard Apple one just to test and see if it helps.

Ive done it myself on a old monitor and it took me weeks to work out it was the profile causing my system to lock up randomly and always sometime after waking from sleep. You just would never expect something like to be the cause.

sound via 3.5mm is fine, hdmi sound can cause freeze after sleep but that’s more of a old clover problem and not OC.

Try resetting the profile and let me know how it goes? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Custom monitor colour profiles seem to do weird stuff with macOS (real Macs inc) including freezing after sleep so yes stop using it and go back to a standard Apple one just to test and see if it helps.

Ive done it myself on a old monitor and it took me weeks to work out it was the profile causing my system to lock up randomly and always sometime after waking from sleep. You just would never expect something like to be the cause.

sound via 3.5mm is fine, hdmi sound can cause freeze after sleep but that’s more of a old clover problem and not OC.

BTW.  I have figured out the issues that has been caused by custom profile.  The profile needs to be created in a specific way to work.  Which software did you use to create your custom profile?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

@photom Are you using smbios 19,1 or 1,1?

Im going to send you a new EFI to use and test out for me if that ok?

ive done a major rework of the ACPI and USB and would love a second opinion.

That ok buddy? :) 

I am using 19.1 but I have moved to Big Sur { if that matters }.  So I am using your OC 0.6.3 with your favourite fenvi card - which works fine on Big Sur.

• Like 1

Just now, photom said:

I am using 19.1 but I have moved to Big Sur { if that matters }.  So I am using your OC 0.6.3 with your favourite fenvi card - which works fine on Big Sur.

Big Sur is absolutely fine, I use it myself and my EFI since 062 has accounted for Cat and Big Sur.

12 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

They are binary identical btw.

This is not the point. I find it funny that tweak keeps in its Beta section, a BIOS released in final version by Gigabyte. Usually, Tweak updates its lists, which has not been done this time and since September 16, date of publication by Gigabyte. I haven't looked at the binary. But I think they are identical.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, AudioGod said:

As suggested I switched to default Apple monitor colour profile.
So far the freezes haven’t occurred. There was just one spontaneous wake.

But aside from that: stable. 
:thumbsup_anim:

3 minutes ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

As suggested I switched to default Apple monitor colour profile.
So far the freezes haven’t occurred. There was just one spontaneous wake.

But aside from that: stable. 
:thumbsup_anim:

Do you not think the spontaneous wake was nothing more then power sleep or wake for network?

40 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Do you not think the spontaneous wake was nothing more then power sleep or wake for network?

I don’t know, since the log interface (after High Sierra I think?) has changed I haven’t been able to decently look through the log files and find the reason for waking.

Power naps is off, wake on lan is off too (when I use my router’s web interface to send a wake-up package, the hack doesn’t respond).