AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

I have put together this simple little guide for anybody wanting to use a Patched DSDT EFI with the same configuration as me.

This is also a thread to discuss everything Z390 Master and try and help where we can and maybe make things a little better for you. 

A huge massive thank you to @glasgood @MaLd0n @larabee These three guys have helped me and talked me so much and are as helpful as you could ever get, Without them I wouldn't have a perfect working build like I do or be putting up this Guide & Discussion Thread sharing the hard work and countless hours that we have all put in to this. :)  

This EFI and Patched DSDT have been created to work with a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master using bios revision F11L, 9900k with a 5700 XT but has also been tested and verified fully working with the following Hardware

CPU's

8600K, 8700, 8700K, 9400K, 9600K, 9700K, 9900K, 9900KS (All KF Models work but use SMBios iMacPro1,1 instead)

GPU's

RX 560, 570, 580, 590, Vega 56, Vega 64, Radion VII, RX 5500, 5500 XT, 5600, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT

(If you have success with any different CPU or GPU's then please do let me know)

@glasgood Has kindly put together a new simple Catalina install guide so Just Follow He's Guide For a Perfect Install. (glasgood put the guide together for the Z390 Pro but the two boards are so alike that you can follow this guide with no problems at all using the Z390 Master)

HARDWARE USED

• Intel I9 9900k @5.2Ghz

Gigabyte AORUS Z390 MASTER

Sapphire Reference RX 5700 XT (connected to the monitor via the DisplayPort)

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB @3600mhz (2 x 16GB)

Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit

• EK Custom Liquid Cooling Loop

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe SSD macOS Catalina 

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD Windows 10 Pro

ABWB BCM94360CS2 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E)   

Lian Li PC-O11DW Dynamic ATX Case

IMG_0707.thumb.jpeg.2a84dd90f034950332cbbd45b774445c.jpeg

IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.196830535c610ace373c756cfb2f1ca5.jpeg

IMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.ff50e89cddb08caae8c599d214bae722.jpeg

WORKING

Sound 

Ethernet Port

WiFi

SSD Trim

USB 3.0 & 2.0 (All ports Open Natively)

AirDrop

iCloud

Hardware Acceleration

iMessages

Facetime

Sleep & Wake

Sleep and Shutdown via the Power Button

Handoff

Netflix on Safari browser

Continuity

• Sidecar (only works using the iMac19,1 EFI and with your igpu Enabled)

OPENCORE EFIs 

Current EFIs Change-Log Updated 04/10/2021

Spoiler

OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI Update (Monterey Beta 8 Ready), 4th October 2021 

The EFIs and DSDTs have now been updated to the my latest versions.

Changes made include,

• Lilu 1.5.6,
  • AppleALC 1.6.5,
  • IntelMausi 1.0.6,
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.7,
  • WhateverGreen 1.5.4,
  • OpenCore Updated to Revision 0.7.4 (Monterey Beta 8 Ready),
  • SIP can now be toggled via OpenCanopy,
  • New OpenCanopy Icons,
  • HFSPlus Updated,
  • Plus other minor tweaks and changes to all of the configs,

OpenCore EFI Update v0.7.4 - 04/10/2021

OC 074 19,1 Z390 Master EFI.zip - OpenCore v0.7.4, SMBios iMac19,1

OC 074 1,1 Z390 Master EFI.zip - OpenCore v0.7.4, SMBios iMacPro1,1 (iGPU Disabled)

OC 074 19,1 Z390 Master iGPU ONLY EFI.zip - OpenCore v0.7.4, SMBios iMac19, iGPU ONLY

Note - If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

Note 2 - Do not try to carry across your old OpenCore Config.plist to the new EFI as to many changes have occurred in 0.7.0. Use the new Config.plist instead.

PlistEdit Pro.zip - PlistEdit Pro (use to edit OpenCore)

Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following 

453128831_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_25_01.thumb.png.7a9beac3ccc0096941fc4a0ec07b8248.png

PLEASE NOTE - These EFIs are setup to be used with your msr Unlocked so make sure you use the F11L Unlocked Profile but if for any reason you can not unlock MSR then just modify following in the OpenCore config.plist :

249434888_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_26_02.thumb.png.948834bc41d84df577e126ae92c9d773.png

CFG Unlock (MSR) F11L BIOS Profile - The Easy Way 

Highly recommended if your using a Vega 56/64, Radeon VII or Navi GPU

Spoiler

I have made this bios profile for you all to use that will unlock CFG on your motherboard making it play alot more friendly with the NVRam.

It also has all the bios settings listed on this guide pre done and saved onto the profile.

Default F11L.zip - Use with Bios Revision F11L ONLY

1 - Download the profile and save it to a USB Key

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

5 - Go straight back into the bios and save your bios to a new profile and name it Default CFG Unlocked or something like that.

6 - Boot back into Catalina go into your clover config and under Kernal and Kext Patches Uncheck KernalPM 

7 - Save the changes and then restart and your done, your motherboard will now be CFG (MSR) Unlocked

PLEASE NOTE - If you reset the bios or load bios defaults it will clear the Unlock making CFG Locked again. 

To Create Your Own Patched DSDT Message @MaLd0n using the link bellow

https://www.olarila.com/forum/17-dsdt-patch-requests/

(If you want a perfect setup then getting your own patched DSDT made would be the best thing to do, Mine will work perfectly fine but different hardware no matter how small a change it is can tend to have some sort of effect on the DSDT and your setup)

If Your Not Using File Vault Then Please Disable Hibernate

disablehibernate.command

ADDITONAL DOWNLOADS

Z390AORUSMASTER.F11l.zip - Aorus Z390 Master Bios Firmware F11L 

Clover

Clover Configurator

Kext Updater

RepairPermissions

OPTIONAL DOWNLOADS

BroadcomFix.zip   (Use these kexts if your Broadcom bluetooth/Wifi isn't working properly)

Hackintool

IORegistryExplorer

Native Display Brightness with MonitorControl

BIOS SETTINGS (Bios Revision F11L)

Enter BIOS -> Press Delete -> Enter Setup

Save & Exit -> Load Optimized Defaults

• Boot -> CFG Lock -> Disabled

• Boot -> Windows 8/10 Features -> Win 8/10 WHQL

Boot -> CSM Support -> Disabled (Can be set to Enabled if need be but try to have it set to Disabled first)

Favourites -> Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile1

Favourites -> VT-d -> Disabled (Can be set to Enabled or Disabled, Your choice)

Settings -> IO Ports -> Internal Display Output -> PCIe 1 Slot

Settings -> IO Ports -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled (Disabled If Using SMBios 1,1)

Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M

Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 256M

Settings -> IO Ports -> Aperture Size -> 256MB
 Settings -> IO Ports -> Wifi -> Disabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> Audio Controller -> Enabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> Above 4G Decoding -> Enabled

• Settings -> IO Ports -> Super IO Configuration -> Serial Port -> Disabled

• Settings -> IO Ports -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Auto

Settings -> IO Ports -> USB Configuration -> XHCI Hands-off -> Enabled

• Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Software Guard Extensions (SGX) -> Disabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> Platform Power Management -> Enabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> ErP -> Enabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> RC6(Render Standby) -> Enabled

Save & Exit  Save & Exit Setup

SCREENSHOTS

1243959210_Screenshot2020-05-26at23_52_37.thumb.jpg.775f95574f4b823d8b164ce2baa79677.jpg

935824673_Screenshot2019-12-17at18_10_53.thumb.png.527faabc01400a57b69463209aa519bd.png

1018510497_Screenshot2019-12-17at18_10_37.thumb.png.38e09b320751401f126fdc410c93a314.png

606910062_Screenshot2019-10-29at15_04_44.thumb.png.3e59834294b625d7aa190b88f4217cb9.png

11372640_Screenshot2019-12-17at20_33_20.png.a591166d643d193ca07bf19524f52f4a.png

1573749226_Screenshot2019-10-29at14_54_22.thumb.png.6aae445296a0e2984821864a6635b236.png

376129050_Screenshot2019-12-17at18_13_57.png.e87a1aee57d9a9f58547fae8168d9677.png

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 20.30.49.png

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for this great job, it's helpful for me :) with 9700K.

I've just update BIOS F9 to F10: there is no more usual settings as BIOS, MIT, peripherals, etc 

Help: Aorus splash screen at start is too big (Gigabyte logo, bottom text). I don't remember the solution.

EDIT: AppleUSBXHCI errors "Unsupported speed mantissa" detected. Terminal file in attachment

Unsupported Speed USB mantissa

Edited by Matgen84

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I've just update BIOS F9 to F10: there is no more usual settings as BIOS, MIT, peripherals, etc 

Help: Aorus splash screen at start is too big (Gigabyte logo, bottom text). I don't remember the solution.

EDIT: AppleUSBXHCI errors "Unsupported speed mantissa" detected. Terminal file in attachment

reset the bios by pressing the bios reset button on the back of the board above the usb2 ports, then go into your bios and load bios defaults and then use the new bios settings I have listed in the guide and try again and let me know buddy. Don’t do any other changes to the bios then what’s listed. 
also for the Aorus splash try having CSM disabled if it’s enabled or enabled if it’s disabled.

Edited by AudioGod

29 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

reset the bios by pressing the bios reset button on the back of the board above the usb2 ports, then go into your bios and load bios defaults and then use the new bios settings I have listed in the guide and try again and let me know buddy. Don’t do any other changes to the bios then what’s listed. 
also for the Aorus splash try having CSM disabled if it’s enabled or enabled if it’s disabled.

I've already load BIOS defaults after update to F10. Idem: I use your BIOS settings. Same problems with  AppleUSBXHCI errors "Unsupported speed mantissa" detected.

EDIT 1: I found a solution to disable Unlock CFG (MSR) since F9. I read it"s better for Aptiomemoryfix

EDIT 2: CSM disabled or enabled, same big Aorus splash. I can't remember the solution. I search.

6 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I've already load BIOS defaults after update to F10. Idem: I use your BIOS settings. Same problems with  AppleUSBXHCI errors "Unsupported speed mantissa" detected.

EDIT 1: I found a solution to disable Unlock CFG (MSR) since F9. I read it"s better for Aptiomemoryfix

EDIT 2: CSM disabled or enabled, same big Aorus splash. I can't remember the solution. I search.

let me know the solution for the Aorus splash buddy.

And What’s the solution for disable unlock CFG that you found?

im looking into your error so bare with me but at what point is it happening and does it happen with no devices connected to usb?
are you using the Rx EFI or the vega one?

p.s. I update the thread bios settings under an hour ago, did you use them?

Edited by AudioGod

11 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

let me know the solution for the Aorus splash buddy.

And What’s the solution for disable unlock CFG that you found?

im looking into your error so bare with me but at what point is it happening and does it happen with no devices connected to usb?
are you using the Rx EFI or the vega one?

p.s. I update the thread bios settings under an hour ago, did you use them?

First, I don't see Update BIOS settings in this thread.

For unlock Hidden CFG function, I found a chinese method: I post a personal message to you with link. 

I can boot but 'Unsupported speed' mantissa errors (5 or 6) occur with or without connected devices.

Right, I try the RX EFI because I've a RX 580.

9 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

@MaLd0n any ideas why he’s got this usb problem using my EFI?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ll be posting here for now on.  Switched to the Master.  Boredom gets the better of me.

I’m having some issues with the UEFI for RX.  Random freezes which reboots my machine and just had the attached image happen during boot.

DD312EB9-8850-4BFA-9E16-57B5910B2B22.jpeg

Edited by hungrywallet

8 hours ago, hungrywallet said:

Well I’ll be posting here for now on.  Switched to the Master.  Boredom gets the better of me.

I’m having some issues with the UEFI for RX.  Random freezes which reboots my machine and just had the attached image happen during boot.

DD312EB9-8850-4BFA-9E16-57B5910B2B22.jpeg

oh dear,

Have you got CSM disabled in the bios?

Are you using the correct DSDT for the RX gpu and bios F10 for the Master?

i will send you a modified EFI later today to try. :)

do you want it in macpro1,1 or iMac19,1?

Edited by AudioGod

I think it may have been an issue with my memory.  I set my xmp profile but I don’t think the board was setting the proper voltage 1.35 so I set it manually.  Now I have to get iMessages working again since I think the new MAC address alarmed Apple.  I’ll try the 19,1.  I also had removed pikera and cfmon flags from boot args.

Edited by hungrywallet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hungrywallet said:

I think it may have been an issue with my memory.  I set my xmp profile but I don’t think the board was setting the proper voltage 1.35 so I set it manually.  Now I have to get iMessages working again since I think the new MAC address alarmed Apple.  I’ll try the 19,1.  I also had removed pikera and cfmon flags from boot args.

here's my current 1,1 EFI so if 19,1 fails you then swap over to this one and give it a try, il make all new details for you including a new serial number so register it as a new login on iCloud :)

Z390 Master 1,1 EFI.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

edit:  Well I think I figured out what was causing the issues with lag and random freezes on my machine.  I think my PCIE Extender gave up on me.  Plugged the GPU straight to the board and no more lag or random glitches.  Hallelujah.

Let this be a lesson, make sure your hardware is working properly before assuming it's improper configuration.

• Like 1

Just now, hungrywallet said:

At the moment I'm on 1,1, your EFI you made for me.

That was pulled directly from my system and what I use personally.

i prefer 1,1 as I can’t stand the igpu being enabled. It sucks...:hysterical:

you can remove the virtualsmc.efi from UEFI, I left in there by mistake as I was testing to see if it actually did anything different with it in and it doesn’t so keep it or don’t keep it it’s totally up to you. :) 

@Matgen84 Are you playing with OpenCore at the moment and have any working knowledge with it cos if you do I could do with a couple of tips and pointers?  :blowup:

3 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@Matgen84 Are you playing with OpenCore at the moment and have any working knowledge with it cos if you do I could do with a couple of tips and pointers?  :blowup:

I don't use OpenCore, just read the configuration files, test without success some config.plist files few month ago. So I can't unfortunately help you.

Just my opinion: this bootloader is very well documented, but too difficult to set.  Regular additions (it's a beta) do not help. I'm waiting for the release. :)

4 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I don't use OpenCore, just read the configuration files, test without success some config.plist files few month ago. So I can't unfortunately help you.

Just my opinion: this bootloader is very well documented, but too difficult to set.  Regular additions (it's a beta) do not help. I'm waiting for the release. :)

would you like to try mine?

i have a beautifully working OpenCore EFI that me and MaLD0n put together the other day. It’s not finished yet as it has a few fixes I need todo but it’s working perfectly with Catalina just don’t try to boot into windows via the opencore boot menu

...ops...lol

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 2

Well I believe I am now finally set with my rig on 19,1.  Unless I deliberately look for something wrong all looks to be working well (except iMessages..lol). Safari for Netflix can go die somewhere.  I don't watch Netflix on my PC either way to be bothered with it anymore.

Thanks for all the help AudioGod, larabee, and others I may have missed.

edit:  Actually, is there any way to get 144 on my Acer Gsync monitor?  Highest I can set it to is 120hz on MacoS.  Maybe because it's now paired with a AMD card...

Edited by hungrywallet
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hungrywallet said:

Well I believe I am now finally set with my rig on 19,1.  Unless I deliberately look for something wrong all looks to be working well (except iMessages..lol). Safari for Netflix can go die somewhere.  I don't watch Netflix on my PC either way to be bothered with it anymore.

Thanks for all the help AudioGod, larabee, and others I may have missed.

edit:  Actually, is there any way to get 144 on my Acer Gsync monitor?  Highest I can set it to is 120hz on MacoS.  Maybe because it's now paired with a AMD card...

Check your monitor is using the correct colour palette.

I use a Dell 75hz 4K HDR monitor that uses RGB as it’s colour pallet and macOS was setting as ycbcr and I only found out because I was getting weird green flashes on shutdown and it was also causing my clover boot splash to b stuck on one res no matter what I set it (CSM disabled) and also I couldn’t go above 60hz or 2k in res. As soon as I patched the monitor override it snapped back to normal and now everything works perfectly and no more green flashes and I can change res of the splash plus I can select 75hz

to check if it’s happening to you go into the monitors setting and see if it’s colour palet is set correctly, if you can’t tell that way then go into about my Mac and check under graphics and displays and see what pallet it’s using.

If that is indeed the problem for you then it’s easy to fix just click on the link and read and follow the guide. If you have trouble doing it then let me know and il help you out but you should be cool buddy :)

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2018/08/24/macbook-pro-external-monitor-display-problem/

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

@hungrywallet If you have a High DPI display (>1080P) then you will need to add -cdfon as a boot argument in the clover config, this enables WhatEverGreen's pixel-clock patches and allows for higher display resolutions and refresh rates on High-DPI displays.

For Netflix please also add shikigva=1 to the boot arguments restart and try again, If that don’t work then try shikigva=57 instead.

let me know if that sorted it out once you have tried? :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@hungrywallet If you have a High DPI display (>1080P) then you will need to add -cdfon as a boot argument in the clover config, this enables WhatEverGreen's pixel-clock patches and allows for higher display resolutions and refresh rates on High-DPI displays.

For Netflix please also add shikigva=1 to the boot arguments restart and try again, If that don’t work then try shikigva=57 instead.

let me know if that sorted it out once you have tried? :thumbsup_anim:

shikigva=1 only fixes Apple TV for me so I'll try 57. -cdfon is already enabled but do we need agdpmod=pikera for an RX580?

Also, could you make me a custom DDST for this board like you did last time?  I'll try to figure out how to do it on my own in the meantime so I can learn.

4 hours ago, hungrywallet said:

shikigva=1 only fixes Apple TV for me so I'll try 57. -cdfon is already enabled but do we need agdpmod=pikera for an RX580?

Also, could you make me a custom DDST for this board like you did last time?  I'll try to figure out how to do it on my own in the meantime so I can learn.

The dsdt is already perfect for your board unless I gave you the vega one by mistake 

DSDT.RX.zip

you can remove agdpmod=pikera :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1