AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

ok - after a few hours of playing with Big Sur and Open All USB - got a strange behavior, 

First of all - all ports ARE open, but red ports + type c don't recognize devices like switcher (Black Magic) or my Wacom tablet.

USB drive works fine, but when you swap the drive a few times between ports, it stops working. It IS recognized, but when you want to browse it, is spinning wheel. Same with file transfer. it is thinking for a minute or two, and after that is starts copy files (but way slower than the first 'plug' after the restart.

This only happens on red + type c ports.

Also, my external devices different than USB stick never work, even after a restart.

Gonna install fresh catalina on my second drive and check is it the same

Raport from the battlefield:

Fresh Catalina

Lets talk only about Red USB + type C

Now all ports are open.

Printer USB 2.0: Doesn't work

Tablet Wacom Intuos Pro model 2019 (USBC) - not working

USB stick USB 2.0 - not working

USB stick type C - working

USB stick USB 3.0 - working

Changing stick 3.0 between ports - working every time

Blackmagic Atem mini Pro type C - not working

USB C portbale monitor - not working

USB 3 SD card reader with SD card inside - working

Conclusion: 

unlocked ports are working for USB3.0/Type C data only.

Today also tested this huge USB-C hub with HDMI network etc. Applies as above - everything which worked without hub working with the hub. Everything built in the hub (like HDMI out, network card, sd/tf card reader) doesn't work.

Edited by lygi
  • Sad 1

@lygi I have a Dac on a usb 3.0 port,  2 midi keyboard, a drum machine and 2 other controllers all coming off a usb3 hub, a type c hub fully loaded with usb c (3.0) hard drives, a keyboard and mouse in the usb 2 hub plus I filled up all the other spare ports with a DVD Burner and USB keys of various types and everything works.

I then removed the port limit and moved stuff all around so usb 2 was on usb 3 and still everything works.

I have no idea what’s going on with you over there fella, it’s a bit of a baffle to me and I’ve been thinking about it trying to come up with a theory and I got nothing so far but one single question.

Is your Z390 Master the original one or the updated version?

If its the updated version then that could explain it and the mapping must differ somehow but I really do have huge doubts that they would change something like that for a refreshed model of the same board.

As for the hub with hdmi, network etc etc, You sure that not a hub for thunderbolt for a Mac?

USB-C is not Thunderbolt

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

With this new setting I experience that my DAC (a dragonfly black that's on the front USB3 port of my case) quits after a while.

If I pull it out and put it back in again it starts working. I guess that there's something weird going on with the power.

Interesting, I can’t get mine to fail at all.

did you prefer usb the way I used to have it then?

you can revert it very easily if you want to?

6 hours ago, AudioGod said:

I have it with the 15 port limitation, so that shouldn’t be it.

could it be something not related to the aorus but with the dac, like too low volume so that the dac shuts off automatically (i need to have it really low in volume or my ear drums pop)?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AudioGod said:

I have it with the 15 port limitation, so that shouldn’t be it.

could it be something not related to the aorus but with the dac, like too low volume so that the dac shuts off automatically (i need to have it really low in volume or my ear drums pop)?

@Benjamin Franklin @lygi  Ok this is interesting, Give the latest beta bios a try, it has USB fixes for stability. 
You don’t need a profile just use my bios settings on page one.

Z390 Master Bios Firmware F11m

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9l6rjcbe6kmgzqp/Z390AORUSMASTER.F11m/file 

Let me know if it helps in any form? (I have my doubts but heyhoe you never know) :rofl:

If anybody gives it a try then same thing man, fill me in?

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 3

Hi @AudioGod

According to overclock.net forum, in addition to the USB fix, Z390 Master Bios Firmware F11m restores the missing "Core Current Limit(Amps)", "CPU Vcore/VAXG Protection", "CPU Core PLL Overvoltage(+mv)" settings and fixes the broken "Turbo Per Core Limit Control" setting. It also updates the microcode to DE.

I try ASAP :)

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@Benjamin Franklin @lygi  Ok this is interesting, Give the latest beta bios a try, it has USB fixes for stability. 
You don’t need a profile just use my bios settings on page one.

Z390 Master Bios Firmware F11m

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9l6rjcbe6kmgzqp/Z390AORUSMASTER.F11m/file 

Let me know if it helps in any form? (I have my doubts but heyhoe you never know) :rofl:

If anybody gives it a try then same thing man, fill me in?

Installed M bios, still the same. My Kingston type c + usb 3 works just fine, same as my sd card reader. but nothing else. 

Checked my MoBo and can't see anything unusual, just Z390 Master

Maybe I can upload my EFI so you can check on your machine?

1 hour ago, lygi said:

Installed M bios, still the same. My Kingston type c + usb 3 works just fine, same as my sd card reader. but nothing else. 

Checked my MoBo and can't see anything unusual, just Z390 Master

Maybe I can upload my EFI so you can check on your machine?

Could you go into your plist and change Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel=Disabled too Default instead and see if it helps?

Do it too a USB Key as it might break your system from booting and clear your nvram twice in a row before booting back in with it.

• Thanks 1

All sorted! Kudos to @AudioGod !

My MoBo is temperamental - nothing wrong with the EFI. Custom made usbmap sorted the issue

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 2:02 AM, Matgen84 said:

Hi @AudioGod

According to overclock.net forum, in addition to the USB fix, Z390 Master Bios Firmware F11m restores the missing "Core Current Limit(Amps)", "CPU Vcore/VAXG Protection", "CPU Core PLL Overvoltage(+mv)" settings and fixes the broken "Turbo Per Core Limit Control" setting. It also updates the microcode to DE.

I try ASAP :)

Nice, I actually reported the Turbo per Core Limit Control bug.

• Like 3

@lygi Could you share your USBMap? I seem to be having the exact same problem, at first I thought inputs did not work at all, now I switched the input device hub to another port and am delighted at least some of the ports work, but would like to get all of them back in working order. I tried USBInjectAll for creating my own, but the script got stuck...

Edit: Used the one from here for now, re-enabled my rear USB C, I will adapt it according to my needs when I have the time: https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh

Edit 2: Read your info from here now, figured out the solution. I think the XhciPortLimit deserves a mention on the first post :)

Edit 3: Wrong testing methodology, the XhciPortLimit=true and newest provided USBMap do not enable all ports for me.

Edited by RHack

11 hours ago, RHack said:

Edit 3: Wrong testing methodology, the XhciPortLimit=true and newest provided USBMap do not enable all ports for me.

I have the same issue, that not all ports show up in Hackintool. So maybe the USBMap is not needed with XhciPortLimit=true? At least that would make some sense to me, now that the power settings are set otherwise.

1 hour ago, kolutshan said:

I have the same issue, that not all ports show up in Hackintool. So maybe the USBMap is not needed with XhciPortLimit=true? At least that would make some sense to me, now that the power settings are set otherwise.

What do you mean bud?

Explain? 
Do you want more then the 15 port limit I set? if so then do what you said but leave the kext in place. 
Or if you have some dead ports then download the EFI again as you could of got a bad download of it.

A few people have reported some strange issues caused by bad downloads in the last few weeks (or so they claim) and once they redownloaded the EFI all is fine.
Personally this is a new one to me but try it and see or explain what the problem is exactly?

Edited by AudioGod

11 hours ago, RHack said:

@lygi Could you share your USBMap? I seem to be having the exact same problem, at first I thought inputs did not work at all, now I switched the input device hub to another port and am delighted at least some of the ports work, but would like to get all of them back in working order. I tried USBInjectAll for creating my own, but the script got stuck..

I fixed it for him and he’s problem was he needed usb 2 and 3 running via usb c as he’s hub needed both to work properly. 
That was it and nothing else.

Whats the problem for you fella maybe I can solve it for you too?

Edited by AudioGod

I just want to say THANK YOU @AudioGod for your OC EFI, it works perfectly!:thumbsup_anim:

But do you know why sometimes the Bluetooth crashes and then all the USB connections/plugs don't work anymore? It is very annoying to push every time the power button to get the computer off because the mouse and keyboard aren't working when this happens.

8 minutes ago, Blesh said:

But do you know why sometimes the Bluetooth crashes and then all the USB connections/plugs don't work anymore? It is very annoying to push every time the power button to get the computer off because the mouse and keyboard aren't working when this happens.

Is this happening with the new EFI bud?

If not then wait to see if it happens again.

if it’s Bluetooth related then you could try moving the internal usb connection to the other internal header. 
clear your nvram a couple of times in a row and make sure your using bios F11L or F11M (link for M is a few posts back)

and lastly if the problem started with the new EFI then try downloading it again and adding back your details.

Edited by AudioGod

37 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Is this happening with the new EFI bud?

If not then wait to see if it happens again.

if it’s Bluetooth related then you could try moving the internal usb connection to the other internal header. 
clear your nvram a couple of times in a row and make sure your using bios F11L or F11M (link for M is a few posts back)

and lastly if the problem started with the new EFI then try downloading it again and adding back your details.

Hi B - I wonder if our friend is suffering from the same problem I had a few weeks ago with the USB ports losing power after a while. Since you recommended updating to the latest BIOS, my machine runs trouble free without that fault. It would be interesting to know what version Bios his board is on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Hi B - I wonder if our friend is suffering from the same problem I had a few weeks ago with the USB ports losing power after a while. Since you recommended updating to the latest BIOS, my machine runs trouble free without that fault. It would be interesting to know what version Bios his board is on.

Yeah he could be indeed, Thats why I mentioned making sure he's running F11L or Higher.

Could also be the older EFI and the way USB was working before. Need more info to know really. :whistle:

Edited by AudioGod

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

Yeah, Thats why I mentioned making sure he's running F11L or Higher.

Could also be the older EFI and the way USB was working before. Need more info to know really. :whistle:

Yea I agree - by the way big thanks for the recommendation you hit my problem spot on as always. :thumbsup_anim: