How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

@KGP-X99

Here I can write this

delete this because it is not correct at all:

Note however, that currently it seems to be still impossible to format an APFS-disk with HFS+ by means of Apple's disk utility.

@KGP-X99

Here I can write this

delete this because it is not correct al all:

Note however, that currently it seems to be still impossible to format an APFS-disk with HFS+ by means of Apple's disk utility.

Why? If a system disk is once in APFS, you cannot reconvert it to HFS+ by means of Apple's disk utility.. Isn't it?

If you know an OSX workaround, please detail below and I will implement it asap. 

Do you think they can change now my "InsanelyMac Geek" classification in my profile?  :wink_anim:

Hope the new guide implementation here works more or less. Please advice in case of broken or wrong links or other errors. 

• Like 1

Why? If a system disk is once in APFS, you cannot reconvert it to HFS+ by means of Apple's disk utility.. Isn't it?

If you know an OSX workaround, please detail below and I will implement it asap. 

Do you think they can change now my "InsanelyMac Geek" classification in my profile?  :wink_anim:

Hope the new guide implementation here works more or less. Please advice in case of broken or wrong links or other errors. 

Hi KGP-X99,

Thanks for the detailed guide and congrats on your new iMac Pro hackintosh.

@Fabiosun: I took the liberty to provide the answer to his question, I hope you don't mind.

There is no way to convert APFS back to HFS but you can easily reformat an APFS formatted disk to HFS using disk utility app or using diskutil command, all you need to do is to unmount the APFS volume with disk utility and then select the APFS formatted disk and erase it.

According to Apple's Developer site regarding the converting APFS to HFS this what they say in their documentation:

" If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+"

Here is the link

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi KGP-X99,

Thanks for the detailed guide and congrats on your new iMac Pro hackintosh.

@Fabiosun: I took the liberty to provide the answer to his question, I hope you don't mind.

There is no way to convert APFS back to HFS but you can easily reformat an APFS formatted disk to HFS using disk utility app or using diskutil command, all you need to do is to unmount the APFS volume with disk utility and then select the APFS formatted disk and erase it.

According to Apple's Developer site regarding the converting APFS to HFS this what they say in their documentation:

" If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+"

Here is the link

Cheers

Many thanks for the details, @cyberdevs!  Guide fixed.. 

• Like 1

Monster build indeed! Would you like to share your compiled UEFITool for Mac please? Currently currious with their new UEFIReplace :)

Unfortunately, you need to compile the UEFIPatch source on your rig with BREW and QT5 installed. Otherwise, it won't work.

Guide Update - 17.01.2018

EFI-Folder related changes:

• Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Clover_v2.4k_r4382
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi replaced by OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi of Clover_v2.4k_r4382

Note that new EFI-Folder EFI-X299-10.13.2-Release-iMacPro1,1-170118  has been linked within the originating post/guide and is once more linked here.  

Guide-related modifications: 

• Corresponding modifications of Section C.1
OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi maintains native NVRAM implementation for our iMac Pro Skylake-X/X299 Systems under macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) and 10.13.2 SA (17C2205), thus EmuVariableUefi-64.efi has been also omitted in the /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ directory contained in newly distributed EFI-Folder. 

Further note that for native NVRAM implementation, Clover's RC Scripts have to be omitted during the clover boot loader installation. If already previously installed, remove Clover's RC Scripts from the /etc directory of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer or System Disk as described in Section C.1) oaf my guide. 

OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi works absolutely flawless on my system, without any memory allocation errors or slide issues even with the "slide" boot flag disabled.

Thanks for the hard work of @apianti et al. (Clover Team)!

Enjoy and have fun,

post-1362934-0-46981200-1516034963.png
  • Like 1

Any improvements with respect to native Skylake-X implementation?

Any improvements with respect to 10.13.3 beta 4?

TrackPad working smooth and don't hanging. Better power management for cpu I thing. post-916820-0-55464400-1516225037_thumb.png

But sleep and wake still don't work in me case. 

New Clover Boot Menu Cosmetics

I just implemented a new EFI-Folder distribution in the guide (originating post of this thread), which is once more linked here: EFI-X299-10.13.2-SA-Release-iMacPro1,1-190118.zip

EFI-Folder related modifications:
  • Adding new Clover Boot Menu themes to /EFI/Clover/themes.
  • Modifications of Config.plist:
    • Implementation of new default Clover Boot Menu "Beauty" in Section /Gui of Clover Configurator.
    • Added Clover Boot-Menu mouse-support after checking "mouse" in  Section /Gui of Clover Configurator.
    • Changing details of "Scan" in Section /Gui of Clover Configurator by checking "Custom" and "Entries".
    • Adding "Preboot", "Recovery" and "Windows" entries under "Hide Volume" in  Section /Gui of Clover Configurator.

The result is a totally refurbished Clover Boot Menu Screen without APFS Preboot and Recovery entries, without unnecessary Windows entries, with a new Clover Boot Menu Theme and full mouse support (see attachment). 

Enjoy and have fun,

post-1362934-0-41431100-1516222345.png

post-1362934-0-55228600-1516392652_thumb.png

• Like 1

I found solution for me asus sleep/wake problem. Simple dsdt patch via clover. 

Only issue is that trackpad won't connect back. 

<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>SLEEP Asus </string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R1BSVwJwaA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					WFBSVwJwaA==
					</data>
				</dict>

• Like 1

I found solution for me asus sleep/wake problem. Simple dsdt patch via clover. 

Only issue is that trackpad won't connect back. 

<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>SLEEP Asus </string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R1BSVwJwaA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					WFBSVwJwaA==
					</data>
				</dict>

Can you please also post the Clover Configurator ACPI DSDT Replacement patch equivalent? 

</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Patches</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>LPC0 -> LPCB</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>