How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

Thank you for your understanding and  wish you all the best in creating your magnificent deutsche school osx86  guide for X299 system. ;)

in c

Should I understand this reply now as a good or bad one?   :)  By the why I never went to school in Germany..  ;)

One more thing... there is a big discussion going on about the Sleep/Wake error under 10.13.3 in the other forum.. You say that Sleep/Wake for you now works native and flawless under 10.13.4 beta 1. In my case it does not, not even under 10.13.4 beta1 .. Still Error E3 after wake and KP of the System. Only the workaround with Pike's xcpm_idle patch, which you proposed earlier, works. 

What in your opinion might cause (or in your case have caused) Error E3 and the KP?  

Good of course. There is still problem with sleep. 

When I put system to sleep all is OK. When I wake him everything is still OK. But when I want put system to sleep second time he won't go to sleep. 

o.k. so totally different behaviour than in my case. I still remain with Error E3 and KP on wake without your workaround. 

I would be more happy to know if Error E3 and KP are caused by the CPU or GPU or by something completely different, which might be just a tiny bug in the overall system configuration. 

If I correctly remember, Error E3 appeared first time during one of the last 10.13 releases.. I don't know if it happened within 10.13.2 or 10.13.2 SA.. 

Before Sleep/wake always worked flawless, despite some random wake from sleep sometimes.. 

Good of course. There is still problem with sleep. 

When I put system to sleep all is OK. When I wake him everything is still OK. But when I want put system to sleep second time he won't go to sleep. 

Now everything turns clearer to me. You mentioned that your work around consists of the idle patch of Pike Alpha.. But in fact it is the xcpm_core_scope_msrs kernel patch, I always used before patching the ASUS BIOS. 

Error E3 and KP at wake are indeed CPU related! Sleep/Wake does not work without the xcpm_core_scope_msrs kernel patch, even with patched mainboard BIOS we get Error E3 and KP on Wake.

If anybody else faces issues with PWR fans after wake like I do, please report back. I don't know if the latter could be related with some imperfect mainboard patching.. we have to see and wait.... you know that we still use the 3 BIOS patches of @interferenc, while just one seems sufficient as reported by @fabiosun. 

Hi KGP

I have only said in a near past that Skylake patches and Broadwell E patches produce same 8 byte modified output messages, then some people said X299 modded bios in this way is working

In my past tests on x299 system I have used a Gigabyte unlocked motherboard 

I think also that your problem or users problem with fans it is related to old and athavic problem of USB disconnection when  the system wakes up from sleep..I think that your sophisticated water refrigerator Fan are in some way connected to some USB port..

But I repeated my self, I have not a direct experiences of it

also, sleep is problematic as  I said in private to Matthew82 from first final release of High sierra

Many people say "It is working" but in all my tests with x99/x299 platform and High Sierra only first cycle of a forced sleep/wake is working well 

Second one no!

I don't have any experiences with minor chipset platform

....... you know that we still use the 3 BIOS patches of @interferenc, while just one seems sufficient as reported by @fabiosun. 

Edited by Guest

I read this guide in silence.

Yesterday I finally finished assembling my x299 build.
I did some tests and I was able to boot on a previous install on an HDD with High Sierra 10.13.2 with basic configuration parameters of your excellent guide KGP ! and then I could reach after the selection of the language at starting the installation with a USB installer High Sierra 10.13.3: this is very encouraging for the future!
I am waiting for the delivery of my Samsung EVO 960 NVMe M.2 500 GB then I will refine my settings and try to move to a clean install of High Sierra 10.13.3.
To be continued...

• Like 1

Hi KGP

I have only said in a near past that Skylake patches and Broadwell E patches produce same 8 byte modified output messages, then some people said X299 modded bios in this way is working

In my past tests on x299 system I have used a Gigabyte unlocked motherboard 

I think also that your problem or users problem with fans it is related to old and athavic problem of USB disconnection when  the system wakes up from sleep..I think that your sophisticated water refrigerator Fan are in some way connected to some USB port..

But I repeated my self, I have not a direct experiences of it

also, sleep is problematic as  I said in private to Matthew82 from first final release of High sierra

Many people say "It is working" but in all my tests with x99/x299 platform and High Sierra only first cycle of a forced sleep/wake is working well 

Second one no!

I don't have any experiences with minor chipset platform

@Fabiosun, my PWR Fans are not at all related with USB. They are on PWR hubs connected to onboard fan_headers. The hubs are totally standalone.. Before the BIOS patching, I did not witness any issue with the PWR Fan headers and sleep/wake. 

In my opinion you should try, in this case, only one patch patching old method

But usb after wake is a problem from time ago (maybe unrelated for your problem)

@Fabiosun, my PWR Fans are not at all related with USB. They are on PWR hubs connected to onboard fan_headers. The hubs are totally standalone.. Before the BIOS patching, I did not witness any issue with the PWR Fan headers and sleep/wake. 

Note that with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 the Nvidia Black Screen prevention has become obsolete. Thanks for the finding by @fabiosun.

Thus NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can be removed from the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ directory of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

post-1362934-0-41431100-1516222345.png 
  • Like 1

in first post

D.2) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) Installer Package Creation

all links are broken ... host not found ... can you correct this ?

or how make a bootable media for osx 13.3 for iMac Pro ?

in first post

D.2) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) Installer Package Creation

all links are broken ... host not found ... can you correct this ?

or how make a bootable media for osx 13.3 for iMac Pro ?

Having severe problems with the editor. Each time I reedit the guide, the entire formatting changes.

Just newly implemented all links in Section D.2) Do they work now for your? If you have still problems try to download file by file..

How to make a bootable macOS USB Flash Drive Installer is described in Section D.3)

Note that I also just linked a new EFI-Folder distribution with minor bug fixes in the config.plist.. Thus if you already downloaded the former one, please reload the recent one modified on 300118.

Having severe problems with the editor. Each time I reedit the guide, the entire formatting changes.

Just newly implemented all links in Section D.2) Do they work now for your? If you have still problems try to download file by file..

How to make a bootable macOS USB Flash Drive Installer is described in Section D.3)

Note that I also just linked a new EFI-Folder distribution with minor bug fixes in the config.plist.. Thus if you already downloaded the former one, please reload the recent one modified on 300118.

all links are broken ... I cant download anything... "server not found".... I ask for bootable media thinking is an other metod for this ...

all links are broken ... I cant download anything... "server not found".... I ask for bootable media thinking is an other metod for this ...

I don't understand your problem... You have to copy all curl commands and drop them into a terminal... I just verified.. download works 100%! 

I don't know what you are doing... 

New EFI-Folder Distribution EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-300118.zip implemented in the originating post of this thread (guide)

EFi-Folder related changes:

• xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha again enabled by default
  • minor additional bugfixes in config.plist

Enjoy and have fun,

post-1362934-0-41431100-1516222345.png
  • Like 1

your metod for create usb media dont work (D2) ...sorry but I lose this day and cant say ok... usb drive isnt vissible ... sorry

Man! :) You have to substitute in D.3.3) in the boot.efi copy command "USB_VOLUME" by the real Name of your USB_VOLUME! 

If you do not properly copy the boot.efi to /.IABootFiles, your USB Flash Drive macOS Installer Partition will no not be visible in the Clover Boot Menu and you are simply not able to boot the macOS USB Flash Drive Installer.

I thought it is straight clear that USB_VOLUME is a place holder for the real name of your USB Flash Drive. Please don't tell me that my approach does not work if you don't understand the logics of a simple unix command.  :rolleyes:

Thus, please properly perform the boot.efi copy command and verify that boot.efi afterwards is indeed in  /.IABootFiles/ on your USB Flash Drive, which is absolutely mandatory for successfully booting the USB Flash Drive macOS Installer partition!

If your USB is called: "Super USB I Like It Very Much" then you have to use:

cd /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much

You have to use a "\" before each space.

Don't forgot the isolated dot "." at the end of the cp command below. The entire procedure for the assumed USB Flash Drive Installer with the above naming convention would look like that:

cd /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much
mkdir .IABootFiles
cd  .IABootFiles
cp /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi .

Good luck and have fun   ;)

KGP

thx

here it show iMac :(

You are totally right.. I checked before my 10.13.3 build by mistake.. and there the system profiler was of course iMac Pro. Now checking the 10.13.4 beta1 build it says iMac.. OMG :rofl: ... Also caught the standard 10.13.4 beta1 build via the Appstore update.. :(

So we might have to download the basesystem.dmg for the 10.13.4 beta1 iMac Pro Update separately... More work to be done... 

Hello Kgp : 

I have created successfully with your guide on my application folders macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D2047),

downloaded and unzip createInstaller.sh.zip on downloads folders ,

but I have this message on my terminal : imac-de-laurent:Desktop laurent$ cd Downloads

chmod +x ./createInstaller.sh

./createInstaller.sh No such file or directory

Strange ?

Hello Kgp : 

I have created successfully with your guide on my application folders macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D2047),

downloaded and unzip createInstaller.sh.zip on downloads folders ,

but I have this message on my terminal : imac-de-laurent:Desktop laurent$ chmod +x ./createInstaller.sh

chmod: ./createInstaller.sh: No such file or directory

Strange ?

you have to make it executable with chmod +x

Edit: ahhh but not chmod +x ./createInstaller.sh it must be: chmod +x createInstaller.sh

​My bad... there is a type in the guide in this place.. 

• Like 1