Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

@cyberdevs hi , i placed NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext into clover/kexts/other  and applyed the black screen patch...then.my gtx960 works fine. 

Hi, well that's great :) so the kext will load from the clover folder as well!

25 degrees idle 45/48 full 

I noticed that latest clover versions have some kernel patches for unsupported cpu embedded..in my case this could create some strange behaviour

for now I am using 4184 because 4120 has performance fix broken (I can't add it in kernel patches section and without it with EIST enabled in bios I have poor performances)

My GPU's temp was always the same from the first day that I bought it (around February). I wish if there was anything that I could do to make it cooler. I tested all clover revisions and I'm afraid the results were the same.

It's an EVGA SuperClocked 1070. I'm using the following GPUSensor. Sometimes when the OS starts I can hear the GPU fans spike but short after they will reduce the speed, almost immediately.

Any pointers will be appreciated :)

GPUSensors.kext.zip

• Like 1

Hi, well that's great :) so the kext will load from the clover folder as well!

My GPU's temp was always the same from the first day that I bought it (around February). I wish if there was anything that I could do to make it cooler. I tested all clover revisions and I'm afraid the results were the same.

It's an EVGA SuperClocked 1070. I'm using the following GPUSensor. Sometimes when the OS starts I can hear the GPU fans spike but short after they will reduce the speed, almost immediately.

Any pointers will be appreciated :)

@cyberdevs  why need NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext?  

sorry  cyberdevs

I misunderstood you previous message

our new GPU (pascal) starts to have fan working @ 45/50 degrees otherwise you have fan sop completely

in my case it reach rarely during normal use also in HS always fan stop is here if you web driver is working well

during hard rendering I reach about 70/75 degrees

it is a pity we can create a fan curve like in windows to have also fan spinning in lower temperatures

Oh, thanks for clearing that up :)

My GPU fans won't stop at all, but they run at minimum  speed all the time, and yes that's unfortunate that we can't use fan curves in macOS, we even can's edit the VBIOS to change the fan curves on Pascal GPUs (because Pascal VBIOS is encrypted as far as I know) otherwise we cold edit the VBIOS's fan curve and re-flash the BIOS with the edited one to solve the problem.

This patch is only for changing the config map of the AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext

Quick Question:

Guys how hot is your GPU when idle? mine sit on 63 degrees Celsius and reaches up to 75 under load. I know that my GPU fans are spinning at their minimum speed. 

I'm using that patch in Clover for very long time, I didn't have any single issue and still applicable for High Sierra. I have just directly upgraded from App Store with having fakesmc in other kexts (clover). Plus you don't need to put nv_disable anywhere(when webdrivers not installed) while having this one. See if it's same or makes difference.

<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>GFX0 [to] GFX2</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMg==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>PEGP [to] GFX1</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					UEVHUA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>

why need NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext?  

there was a problem in macOS Sierra (Transparent iBooks and some other errors in Safari and other apps) which was due to the incompatibly of the webdrivers and the metal 2 framework in macOS which was resolved by adding the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext to /L/E (according to the kext's author) :

"This resolves the issue with transparent windows without content, which appear for applications that use Metal and have Library Validation enabled. Common affected applications are iBooks and Little Snitch Network Monitor, though this patch is universal and fixes them all" 

see these posts: https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/blob/master/README.md

and

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases

there was a problem in macOS Sierra (Transparent iBooks and some other errors in Safari and other apps) which was due to the incompatibly of the webdrivers and the metal 2 framework in macOS which was resolved by adding the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext to /L/E (according to the kext's author) :

"This resolves the issue with transparent windows without content, which appear for applications that use Metal and have Library Validation enabled. Common affected applications are iBooks and Little Snitch Network Monitor, though this patch is universal and fixes them all" 

see these posts: https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/blob/master/README.md

and

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases

but i find many users installed webdriver for high sierra and then got black screen error....

I'm using that patch in Clover for very long time, I didn't have any single issue and still applicable for High Sierra. I have just directly upgraded from App Store with having fakesmc in other kexts (clover). Plus you don't need to put nv_disable anywhere(when webdrivers not installed) while having this one. See if it's same or makes difference.

<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMg==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					UEVHUA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>

Well, these are ACPI related which also could be patched on DSDT / SSDT for Graphics. While what @cyberdev's talking is Kext to Patch (as it's name) about *.kext: AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy. And giving us what graphics r U using, on Desktop or Laptop.. is way better I think.

<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMg==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					UEVHUA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>

Thanks but I'm not sure if those patches can solve the GPU temperature (if that's what you mean)

The patches will simply rename the DSDT values of the GFX0 to GFX2 and the PEGP to GFX1 I'm not sure how can they solve the black screen problem.

The black screen problem on nVidia GPUs is totally dependent on the SMBIOS that we choose, the new black screen problem on macOS High Sierra is something different.

I will give those patches a try later to see if we can use them to fix that problem :)

I am asking if is there a change to start in "VGA" mode like before it happened if nv_disable=1 was used. it seems not possible

it seems also that disabling nvidiaweb=true is not working anymore...

The only thing that I can think of right now is to use -x to enter the Safe Mode. (Which didn't work the last time I tried it, got my system to reboot on High Sierra)

The only thing that I can think of right now is to use -x to enter the Safe Mode. (Which didn't work the last time I tried it, got my system to reboot on High Sierra)

Uhmmb, using which Clover rev? I my self not test it yet, but I think this is bootloader related topics instead of Nvidia graphics..  :)

Well, these are ACPI related which also could be patched on DSDT / SSDT for Graphics. While what @cyberdev's talking is Kext to Patch (as it's name) about *.kext: AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy. And giving us what graphics r U using, on Desktop or Laptop.. is way better I think.

Thanks but I'm not sure if those patches can solve the GPU temperature (if that's what you mean)

The patches will simply rename the DSDT values of the GFX0 to GFX2 and the PEGP to GFX1 I'm not sure how can they solve the black screen problem.

The black screen problem on nVidia GPUs is totally dependent on the SMBIOS that we choose, the new black screen problem on macOS High Sierra is something different.

I will give those patches a try later to see if we can use them to fix that problem :)

May not directly solve temperature related problem :), however, it solves the problem you had when you pick recent smbios from clover. I'm also using MacPro 6.1 smbios for a long time where I suppose to have a black screen by default, so with that patch, you don't need any AGPblalafix or other kext. it just works. So you don't have to edit AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy

May not directly solve temperature related problem :), however, it solves the problem you had when you pick recent smbios from clover. I'm also using MacPro 6.1 smbios for a long time where I suppose to have a black screen by default, so with that patch, you don't need any AGPblalafix or other kext. it just works. So you don't have to edit AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy

Thanks I will try it and let you know how it went :)

• Like 1

Another fresh USB install of High Sierra 10.13, Install completed and at desktop, i adjusted my settings, installed webdriver and reboot. No issues.

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other. AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext patch in config.plist.

No issues with blank/black screen. Webdriver activated without any issues.

• Like 2

@Gurqn

Unfortunately it didn't change the GPU temperature.

These patches only rename the resources value in the DSDT table and they can't affect the GPU sensor. Bt it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway ;)

Another fresh USB install of High Sierra 10.13, Install completed and at desktop, i adjusted my settings, installed webdriver and reboot. No issues.

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other. AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext patch in config.plist.

No issues with blank/black screen. Webdriver activated without any issues.

Congrats :)

If you are going to use the AGDP patch in clover you won't be needing the nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext any more ;)

• Like 1

@Gurqn

Unfortunately it didn't change the GPU temperature.

These patches only rename the resources value in the DSDT table and they can't affect the GPU sensor. Bt it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway ;)

Congrats :)

If you are going to use the AGDP patch in clover you won't be needing the nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext any more ;)

My GTX960 idles around 30.

It wont hurt to leave nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, never know, may need it later.

• Like 1

My GTX960 idles around 30.

It wont hurt to leave nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, never know, may need it later.

Thanks for the update on the GPU temp. I don't know what can I do to make my GPU cooler while idle :(

Some one might find this useful:

The main reason for me to switch from nVidiaGraphicsFixup to the kext patch was that it causing the macOS to crash (Freeze) upon boot because of the GPUSensor.kext for the Pascal GPUs but ever since I switched to using the patch the crash is not happening anymore.

I succeded with an upgraded install using Ozmosis bootloader, i've upgraded, then installed new driver and that's everything. iMac 14,2 SMBIOS, macOS 10.13.1, manually patched nVidiaStartupWeb.kext. My rig its listed over signature.

• Like 1

The posted driver is working great for me on my rather old system with a gtx 960 2GB.

Before upgrading to high sierra I made sure to uninstall the nvidia drivers.  I then upgraded to high sierra then installed the high sierra nvidia drivers.  No problems.  I'm also not using any sort of AGDP fix or any other kexts other than fakesmc, voodoohda and my ethernet driver.

Might not be in the right place here, and brand new, so apologies in advance.

Working with a Pro (3,1) and unable to get a GeForce 430 working in HS. It flickers like wild and at best shows some screen elements.
This is from an upgrade - 10.12.6 to 10.13

Have tried

• latest driver in both native and web driver mode, neither works. In 10.12.6, it seemed to work in "native" mode.
  • fully uninstalling, reinstalling
  • NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

Basically trying to get this old machine to get it running to replace an older tower.
Have an older ATI card (from an '07 Mac Pro) that works, but would prefer this tower has a newer nVidia.

Looking for suggestions on what to try on this system. Many of the posts here are obviously geared more towards getting this working on other systems, but thought I'd see if anyone else here had tried an older/lower end GPU in an older tower, and what might work.

Wouldn't be opposed to buying a basic card from macvidcards, but with High Sierra, I'm afraid it'd be back to square one if I can't get this 430 working.

Should I just try a fresh install of HS and try the web drivers fresh?

I have a question:  Having a GT1050Ti , does the new nvidia High Sierra driver fully support Metal 2?   And is my card support by Apple stock drivers OOTB?

Yes the web drivers will support your GPU and it will support the Metal2 but your GPU won't work with the Apple drivers, no Kepler Maxwell and Pascal GPU's will work with the apple's builtin driver.

• Like 1

I succeded with an upgraded install using Ozmosis bootloader, i've upgraded, then installed new driver and that's everything. iMac 14,2 SMBIOS, macOS 10.13.1, manually patched nVidiaStartupWeb.kext. My rig its listed over signature.

Would you care to explain: with embedded APFS in rom? You could also post in the Ozmosis thread as there are questions on how to insert APFS correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Patrice