[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

Why not just Create Install Media USB installer (Latest Beta) 
Boot to the USB and on the Installer Select your  SSD High Sierra
Thats working for HFS+J and APFS
Your solved lots of time  :D

B)

I actually have a 10GB partition that I can use for install media but I thought that it would need to be the full 5GB installer and not just an update.  Can you install an update using CreateInstallMedia?

I actually have a 10GB partition that I can use for install media but I thought that it would need to be the full 5GB installer and not just an update.  Can you install an update using CreateInstallMedia?

Create Install Media its a full Packages 5 Gig, same thing like the Downloads  apple server on Recovery HD

I have a spare test SSD OCZ 120 G

macOS High Sierra is installed on it

I create Install media and I boot to the USB installer and I select my OCZ SSD macOS High Sierra

Install in progress  :lol: Almost complete now 

Sorry my English  :(

Create Install Media its a full Packages 5 Gig, same thing like the Downloads  apple server on Recovery HD

I have a spare test SSD OCZ 120 G

macOS High Sierra is installed on it

I create Install media and I boot to the USB installer and I select my OCZ SSD macOS High Sierra

Install in progress  :lol: Almost complete now 

I'm not sure why you need to create a USB installer if you can just install using utilities in the recovery partition.  At least for me, it's faster to install when the installer is on my SSD rather than a USB drive.  It sounds like your method is not much different from mine.  Neither of us seem to be able to update using the App Store Updates tab.  (I guess the only benefit for you of using the USB method is that you install the High Sierra betas on multiple computers so you don't have to download the installer multiple times.)

I'm not sure why you need to create a USB installer if you can just install using utilities in the recovery partition.  At least for me, it's faster to install when the installer is on my SSD rather than a USB drive.  It sounds like your method is not much different from mine.  Neither of us seem to be able to update using the App Store Updates tab.  (I guess the only benefit for you of using the USB method is that you install the High Sierra betas on multiple computers so you don't have to download the installer multiple times.)

Its juts a test  :)

this is the same things

both methods make a complete upgrade

downlods by HD recovery or install by USB Create Install Media
except that it took me only 21 minute update

I was telling you this to save you time

Its juts a test  :)

this is the same things

both methods make a complete upgrade

downlods by HD recovery or install by USB Create Install Media
except that it took me only 21 minute update

I was telling you this to save you time

I think the difference is between your download time and mine.  I would have to move to Canada to get your download speeds.  I live in a rural area in the mountains and most of the time, my fastest download speed is about 1.2 mb/sec via wifi.

I think the difference is between your download time and mine.  I would have to move to Canada to get your download speeds.  I live in a rural area in the mountains and most of the time, my fastest download speed is about 1.2 mb/sec via wifi.

I think you do not understand well, it must be because of my bad english
I am not downloaded anymore.
the first install take 4 minutes approxatively and after the Reboot is installed like upgrade
The second part take 21 to 25 minutes

I think you do not understand well, it must be because of my bad english
I am not downloaded anymore.
the first install take 4 minutes approxatively and after the Reboot is installed like upgrade
The second part take 21 to 25 minutes

Your English is just fine.  No worries.  When I get into the recovery partition, it takes about an hour to download and install to my SSD.  I then reboot and select Install macOS on SSD-HI-SIERRA and it takes about 35 minutes to install (during this time, I have a gray screen with the installation window but no menu bar and no cursor).  It then reboots again and this time, I select Run macOS on SSD-HI-SIERRA and before I get to the desktop, I get the black window with the white apple and progress bar and it takes about 12 minutes to complete installation.  Then I get to the desktop where it does a few more things to complete the set up.  The 5GB download is what takes the most time for me.

BTW, I still haven't fixed the problem with wake from sleep/brightness.  If I want to be able to adjust brightness, I need the GenericBrightness.kext but when I use that kext, my laptop restarts as soon as I try to wake it from sleep.

Your English is just fine.  No worries.  When I get into the recovery partition, it takes about an hour to download and install to my SSD.  I then reboot and select Install macOS on SSD-HI-SIERRA and it takes about 35 minutes to install (during this time, I have a gray screen with the installation window but no menu bar and no cursor).  It then reboots again and this time, I select Run macOS on SSD-HI-SIERRA and before I get to the desktop, I get the black window with the white apple and progress bar and it takes about 12 minutes to complete installation.  Then I get to the desktop where it does a few more things to complete the set up.  The 5GB download is what takes the most time for me.

The 5GB download  ( 1H 30 ) is what I wanted to save you because everything else is done the same way

if you are comfortable with this, this is not a problem  :)

The 5GB download  ( 1H 30 ) is what I wanted to save you because everything else is done the same way

if you are comfortable with this, this is not a problem  :)

hi, yet no able install dp7 (update from dp4 or downloaded from applestore and create usb)  same enter on recovery partition !!!!

and my patched dsdt for disable Nvidia no disable !!! 

Archivio.zip

For both of you, I had the same problem as you and fixed it.  I had to remove my discreet GPU from my DSDT so that only the Intel HD GPU shows up in System Info.  I also had to remove my custom SSDT and let Clover make my SSDT (Generate PStates, Generate CStates, Enable C7) It took a while to get this right but it worked for me.

You could share your config.plist to have a look. 

I have done the following:

- GFX to IGPU patch: removed

- 4 port patch: removed

- inject intel: uncheck

- ig_platform_id: Empty

- Sierra "glitch" patches: removed

What I need is to remove Nvidia from DSDT.

Thank you.

Can't install updates past DP5, always getting mpgk-error no matter what I do (deleting emuvariables and nvram.plist), booting from usb drive btw.

Updated to latest Clover r4189?  Did you delete NVRAM.plist in EFI of your usb drive?  Let Clover inject default FF/FFM/PF and BIOS ver/date/Board-ID values (leave blank in config.plist).

If above fails, try @crazybirdy's method: modified restore BaseSystem/Disk1mbrInstaller with patched OSInstaller - see post#3239.

Good Luck and thanks to @crazybirdy  :).

Hi

Since beta 7 and of course with Beta 8, I can no longer use the hot-plugging of internal hard drives. I can't insert HDD when High Sierra is running. Does anyone even have same problem? Hot-pluggging HDD work like a charm under Sierra.

Please: any ideas?

Have you tried replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext v329 with v328 from Public Beta1?

• Like 1

I am up to DP8 and have only once created a USB installer. I use the recovery partition and it installs the latest DP version. No problem for me how long it takes.

You could share your config.plist to have a look. 

I have done the following:

- GFX to IGPU patch: removed

- 4 port patch: removed

- inject intel: uncheck

- ig_platform_id: Empty

- Sierra "glitch" patches: removed

What I need is to remove Nvidia from DSDT.

Thank you.

OK, here's my config.plist for High Sierra (I'm not suggesting that you use my SMBIOS):

config-MacBookPro9,2.plist.zip

Here is the patch from RehabMan to remove references in your DSDT to Nvidia or Radeon GPUs.

#Maintained by: RehabMan for: Laptop Patches
#graphics_REG-disable.txt

# The purpose of this patch is to add code to _REG in EC
# to disable nvidia/Radeon
#
# The path of _OFF may have to be customized to match your SSDTs
# The patch attempts to identify the correct _REG by using
# the ACPI PNP identifier for the EC.

into method label _REG parent_hid PNP0C09 insert
begin
//added to turn nvidia/radeon off\n
If (LAnd(LEqual(Arg0,3),LEqual(Arg1,1)))\n
{\n
    External(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF, MethodObj)\n
    \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF()\n
}\n
end;

You can copy this into MaciASL to patch your DSDT.

BTW, I do use Inject Intel in my config.plist.  However, I removed the DSM method for GFX0 in my DSDT that contained the same data.

• Like 2

@mnfesq

your kext GenericBrightness.kext is it updated ?

I compile this one today with Xcode , you can try

not testing, I am not need

You can used a slider here Brightness Slider

Also I find this command line  

https://github.com/nriley/brightness

GenericBrightness.kext.zip

• Like 1

Have you tried replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext v329 with v328 from Public Beta1?

Thank. I try this.

But I think also there is a issue with AHCIPortInjector.kext for my Asmedia1061. Intel 7 series work. Under Sierra, this kext work fine and under High Sierra Beta 8 is only show Asmedia1062. I download this kext on download section but no update since november 2016. I don't test booting directly.

Edit: Asmedia1061-Asmedia1062 with with AHCIPortInjector.kext. Since beta 7 and of course with Beta 8, I can no longer use the hot-plugging of internal hard drives. I can't insert HDD when High Sierra is running. Does anyone even have same problem? Hot-pluggging HDD work like a charm under Sierra.

• Like 1

OK, here's my config.plist for High Sierra (I'm not suggesting that you use my SMBIOS):

attachicon.gifconfig-MacBookPro9,2.plist.zip

Here is the patch from RehabMan to remove references in your DSDT to Nvidia or Radeon GPUs.

#Maintained by: RehabMan for: Laptop Patches
#graphics_REG-disable.txt

# The purpose of this patch is to add code to _REG in EC
# to disable nvidia/Radeon
#
# The path of _OFF may have to be customized to match your SSDTs
# The patch attempts to identify the correct _REG by using
# the ACPI PNP identifier for the EC.

into method label _REG parent_hid PNP0C09 insert
begin
//added to turn nvidia/radeon off\n
If (LAnd(LEqual(Arg0,3),LEqual(Arg1,1)))\n
{\n
    External(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF, MethodObj)\n
    \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF()\n
}\n
end;

You can copy this into MaciASL to patch your DSDT.

BTW, I do use Inject Intel in my config.plist.  However, I removed the DSM method for GFX0 in my DSDT that contained the same data.

Great!! I'm going to try and tell you

Merci

Great!! I'm going to try and tell you

Merci

This will only work if your dsdt uses the same method to turn off the card. I had to modify it for mine and usually an ssdt needs to be patched as well not just dsdt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also

Is there a way to rebuild the kernel cache for HS from Sierra on the same laptop on the same drive?

I can't boot single user mode.

@mnfesq

your kext GenericBrightness.kext is it updated ?

I compile this one today with Xcode , you can try

not testing, I am not need

You can used a slider here Brightness Slider

Also I find this command line  

https://github.com/nriley/brightness

Thanks Chris for compiling the kext.  I think it's the same version 1.0 that I have.  It works the same but crashes High Sierra when I wake my laptop from sleep.  I'll work on it again tomorrow after I get some sleep.  I'm about to crash too.

• Like 1

Also

Is there a way to rebuild the kernel cache for HS from Sierra on the same laptop on the same drive?

I can't boot single user mode.

I think you can manually remove "prelinkedkernel" from this path: /system/library/PrelinkedKernels and you can also remove this folder /System/Library/Caches

the rm -f command means remove the file by force

I suggest you do that with caution because I never manually removed the prelinkedlkernel file but I did delete the whole "Caches" folder and it was created again after the reboot.

Notice that you have an alias of the prelinkedkernel called "kernelcache" inside the Caches folder. That's where the original prelinkedkernel is stored (/System/library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.

I think you can manually remove "prelinkedkernel" from this path: /system/library/PrelinkedKernels and you can also remove this folder /System/Library/Caches

the rm -f command means remove the file by force

I suggest you do that with caution because I never manually removed the prelinkedlkernel file but I did delete the whole "Caches" folder and it was created again after the reboot.

Notice that you have an alias of the prelinkedkernel called "kernelcache" inside the Caches folder. That's where the original prelinkedkernel is stored (/System/library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.

I solved it by reinstalling over the top  :yes:

P.S New official AppleALC + Lilu are available.

This will only work if your dsdt uses the same method to turn off the card. I had to modify it for mine and usually an ssdt needs to be patched as well not just dsdt.

It is not clear to me. The patch applied to DSDT which is what I use, that should work no?

I solved it by reinstalling over the top  :yes:

P.S New official AppleALC + Lilu are available.

That's good.

The new versions AppleALC and Lilu were released couple of days ago ;) thanks anyway.

I did some testing and by removing the Caches and prelikedkernel manually, they will be created again by restarting the computer so there won't a problem if we jut delete them.

• Like 1

Hi All

I have made a clone of my rMBP for beta8 what is the next step i need to do?

installing clover - checked 

replacing any files, boot files?

copy my current (OS X 10.12) clover folder?

thanks!

Well that should be pretty much it.

The same changes you made for 10.12 should be made for 10.13. If you copy the entire Clover folder, I would say that should be all in terms of boot files. If you're using patched kexts in L/E or S/L/E (although I prefer using Clover injection for that) you might want to do it for 10.13, as well. If you don't need that, well, I think that's pretty much it.