[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(SurfacePro2OSX)

@aardvark Let me know if this works.  From reading your previous posts, I see that you have cdock downloaded and installed.  When you run this application, and either change or refresh the dock, the articles look like they go away. Please confirm that this is the case for you.  I have restarted and attempted this one multiple times using a specific color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Another question for everybody else.  I know there is an issue with the touch-base drivers causing the sound buttons to stop working (which i'm oddly fine with considering I'm running this thing silent most of the time), but I'm having an issue where sound does not initialize at all when booting up, or when coming back from sleep.  The couple times sound does work, my bluetooth drivers do not work.  

I am currently using an RTL8192CU driver for my WiFi, and I'm hoping that has nothing to do with it, but if any of you know if any conflicts that could happen between the devices or this specific driver please let me know. 

post-1364580-0-44372000-1404931183_thumb.png

• Like 1

(SurfacePro2OSX)

@aardvark Let me know if this works.  From reading your previous posts, I see that you have cdock downloaded and installed.  When you run this application, and either change or refresh the dock, the articles look like they go away. Please confirm that this is the case for you.  I have restarted and attempted this one multiple times using a specific color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Another question for everybody else.  I know there is an issue with the touch-base drivers causing the sound buttons to stop working (which i'm oddly fine with considering I'm running this thing silent most of the time), but I'm having an issue where sound does not initialize at all when booting up, or when coming back from sleep.  The couple times sound does work, my bluetooth drivers do not work.  

Sorry, I don't know what cdock is.  The only mod I make to the dock is to select "Transparent menu bar" under System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver.  After that, I tried all of the desktop backgrounds until I found the one that worked best, which was the oriental pagoda.  That caused the text rendered in the menu bar to at least be visible.

As for sound, I found that under 10.9.4, I needed to delete /System/Library/Extensions AppleHDA.kext and AudioAUUC.kext and then reinstall VoodooHDA.kext from scratch.  There was no audio before that and USB was suspect as well.  Deleting those two kext fixed both problems for me.  If you're building a new USB drive to install 10.9.4, just delete them on the USB drive before installing and save a few headaches.

(SurfacePro2OSX)

Hey, changing the color profile seems to magically fix things.  The only side effect I saw was the need to quit all of my apps and start over as they all had very strange color mappings.  So far, it works.  Thanks!

Subsequent to this post, I found that if you go into System Preferences -> Displays -> Color and click on "Show profiles for this display only", this is the only choice I get.

Sorry, I don't know what cdock is.  The only mod I make to the dock is to select "Transparent menu bar" under System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver.  After that, I tried all of the desktop backgrounds until I found the one that worked best, which was the oriental pagoda.  That caused the text rendered in the menu bar to at least be visible.

As for sound, I found that under 10.9.4, I needed to delete /System/Library/Extensions AppleHDA.kext and AudioAUUC.kext and then reinstall VoodooHDA.kext from scratch.  There was no audio before that and USB was suspect as well.  Deleting those two kext fixed both problems for me.  If you're building a new USB drive to install 10.9.4, just delete them on the USB drive before installing and save a few headaches.

Hey, changing the color profile seems to magically fix things.  The only side effect I saw was the need to quit all of my apps and start over as they all had very strange color mappings.  So far, it works.  Thanks!

Great, I'm glad we found a somewhat working solution.  Sometimes, I still get the articles around the apple logo on the top left of the menu bar, but it's a very good overall improvement to the graphical interface.  I think @JahStories is on the right path though for a real fix to the issue.  Despite it looking fine on my tablet - I still have problems when I plug in my second monitor.  Let me know if you are experiencing this too @aardvark.

Also, in regard to cdock.  Just download it.  My dock is distorted 90% of the time on a fresh boot, but when I use cdock to and run the "reload dock" command, I get a nice and very clean-looking, original dock.  Check out the screenshot for proof.  Thanks for the sound fix, it seems to have fixed the problem.  

post-1364580-0-36855500-1404938811_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Someone please help with this.

First, I work in IT and have a degree in Computer Systems, so I know what I am doing to an extent lol.

About 2 months ago, I tried to install Mac OS X on my Surface Pro. I obviously wiped everything to do so. Long story short, the installation kept failing at the end (the bluetooth fail that was pretty common). 

I ended up formatting the hard drive in CMD and reinstalled Windows (multiple times). 

The problem is, in Windows, I have serious display issues with greens, reds, etc. (I attached a screenshot of a few). This is NOT a driver issue. I have uninstalled drivers, rebooted, downloaded updated drivers, even restored drivers from a recover disk that I created off of my dad's surface pro. Even at the Windows Installation screen, I have display issues (flickering and such).

I cannot fix it and its out of warranty!

Anything else software-related I can do?

Only reason I posted was because I saw that poster a few posts above, have that display issue with his apple toolbar and thought maybe I messed something up when I tried the OS X installation.

post-1328671-0-99331900-1404955790_thumb.png

post-1328671-0-30076600-1404955801_thumb.png

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, but I can't see what you are describing on the screenshots. Hardware problem?

Must be.

I just loaded the screens on my phone and you are right. 

Here is what it looks like to me on the PC (from my phone).

post-1328671-0-59881800-1404956849_thumb.jpg

Must be.

I just loaded the screens on my phone and you are right. 

Here is what it looks like to me on the PC (from my phone).

So if I'm looking at your phone picture correctly, we're looking at that line of discoloration on the left side of all of your icons?  Is there something else I'm missing?  You said you had screen flickering and that could be pretty annoying.  

I think what @aardvark and I are going through is totally different than what you are experiencing.  When we take screenshots, we're looking at the distorted image on the processed file out of the OS indicating that it is strictly a software-based issue.  Consider the possibility that what you are experiencing is some sort of GPU/CPU damage either from a stint(s) of overheating, condensation/moisture, or aggressive impactive movement to your tablet.  I don't imagine the repair cost of that to be very nice to your wallet (or very quick for that mattter) considering your warranty is up.  Might I recommend you just "live with it" because it's just your "tablet"? 

@GStera

Hi there, the problem you got, have nothing to do with OsX or the guide...

for this kind of questions a generic "surface forum" is a better choice.

hope you understand.

Thank you JahStories!

I was able to boot into the installer by the vanilla OSX Vanilla RAW image for Windows from an How-To here in the forum.

The only modification was to mentioned in CLOVER to inject for Intel grafics.

Installation went throuh theend and I was able to copy the kext from my bootstick to the mounted installation partition.

But booting the partition will always lead to a reboot.

I tried to take a photo but wasn't able to get a clear one so far.

Is there a boot log file or so to provide you the info for help solving my problem? (and read the whole contens without stress :-) )

I think it hase something to do with the FakeSMC.kext so I tried 2 different versions but without success.

currently I use the v0.4 package from the thread.

Maybe I'l try also v0.3 for tests

BTW:

I also tried to copy the patched mach_kernal to the root of the install partition but this doesn't work too

BTW:

I also tried to copy the patched mach_kernal to the root of the install partition but this doesn't work too

On a Surface Pro 2, you need the modified mach_kernel.  If you couldn't get it to copy over, you will get an immediate crash and reboot every time.  This is most likely your problem.  You need to get the mach_kernel installed.  Check permissions on the target side.  So, go back into a usb drive boot and look for the reason the copy is failing.  You did copy it onto the usb drive from the files pack, right?

<surface2osx>

Hi aardvark23!

Thanks for the tip, tried different kernels v0.3, 0.4 and the kernel provided by the vanilla image i used (from the RAW file in the How-To)

It costs me a few hours but now with a minimum of changes I was able to boot into OSX.

Only installed OSX on a fresh erased partition and copy the provided mach_kernel to the root of the partition.

starting "without cache and with injecting kext" is working so far. (no kext copied to the partition!!)

Thanks a lot to the forum for the fasts replay and help when asking.

Now I will go step by step further to get WLAN and touch working if i can. :-)

After a few reboots here what I figured out whats the problem:

burning image via TeansMac to the USB drive

copy mach_kernel from SP2 v0.4 pack to the root of the hfs+ partition (via TransMac)

copy config.plist and modify it to inject IntelGrafics automatically

Start SP2 from USB drive (holding Vol- button while power up) and start without cache and with injecting kext to enter the setup

erase the partition with hfs+ and install OSX to this partition

thats all I need 

Additional:

copy the kext from the v0.4 package exept the VoodooHDA.kex to /System/Library/Extensions/

The VoodooHDA.kext is the problem why my SP2 is hanging in a bootlopp.

Hello, today i had a weird issue with mi SP1

it didn't boot, so i boot into safe mode and repaired disk permissions with disk utility, then i can boot normally but the menu bar has lost its white color and now the apple from the top left is gone!

i have attached a screeshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vun92r44zawcheh/Captura%20de%20pantalla%202014-07-11%20a%20la%28s%29%2010.01.53.png

what does it mean?

thank you

I also discovered something else that might be of great interest for the Surface community. Since I didn't want to loose windows 8 installation, and also didn't want to install it latter using a disk image, I installed Mavericks by shrinking my windows volume. Doing so, I was unable to install Clover in SSD, making me dependable of a USB Stick with Clover to boot into MacOS. I then tried to install Clover in a micro SD card that would be permanently inserted into my Surface, so that whenever I wanted to boot to MacOS, I just had to press volume down during boot process to boot into Clover. Unfortunately, for some reason, Clover installer refused to install in my card. I figured out that this is a common problem for many users. So I found this, a windows-based clover installer for external USB devices. The installation went great at the windows side, and then I just replaced the config.plist and dsdt files with those specific for the surface (the ones found in the package). Now I can boot into MacOS with just a simple and invisible micro SD card!  :lol:

Hi, Thico Alves, could you help to brief describe how could you install the tool in your micro SD card? What did you select in each step, it have a lot of options, so I have no idea which I should check or uncheck? Do that need the SD card to be formatted first? Sorry to bother you, please help.

@snooz This is something we'd typically see on a SP2 installation where I was able to bypass it by changing my color profile.  Try these little mini-hacks out.  I currently do not have a permanent solution to this issue.  

Option 1

- Open up System Preferences ----> Displays ---> Color

- Select the color profile [sRGB IEC61966-2.1]

Option 2

- Download cDock (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdock/)

- Extract then Run cDock

- From the pull-down menu, choose the option of "Restore Dock"

- Click on OK.  

- Close cDock

Option 3

- Run both of these steps and see if your color comes back. 

Let me know how this works.  cDock essentially re-sets the GUI, where force-quitting finder has been unsuccessful.  

• Like 1

(surfaceosx)

Hello guys, 

I've been following this guide for a while now and finally got my hands on a Surface Pro 1.
I've been able to set up my Hackintosh op the Surface pro but im unable to get qe/ci working, thats the only problem i have. ive read through the guide and the reaction beneath it, and tried a lot of things (for example the Kext/dsdt/ssdt that are given for the qe/ci problem in post #1817 )

ive also tried several IntelCapriFB= numbers... but no positive result....

Please help me ... this is the only thing left to fix to get a well working surfaceosx.

With kind regards.

Sven.

(surfaceosx)

Hello guys, 

I've been following this guide for a while now and finally got my hands on a Surface Pro 1.

I've been able to set up my Hackintosh op the Surface pro but im unable to get qe/ci working, thats the only problem i have. ive read through the guide and the reaction beneath it, and tried a lot of things (for example the Kext/dsdt/ssdt that are given for the qe/ci problem in post #1817 )

ive also tried several IntelCapriFB= numbers... but no positive result....

Please help me ... this is the only thing left to fix to get a well working surfaceosx.

With kind regards.

Sven.

This is a good question, I'd like to know the same. I was only able to get it working on my SP1 by using the injector too- I didn't really understand what that was, so I had no qualms about using it, but now that I realize its in place of QE/CI, I'm a little bummed to realize what I'm missing out on.

if you don't have qe/ci, there is surely something wrong with your installations.

the 0.4 refixed file pack its working, tested by lots of people and by me on more than 6 Sp1s

Good hack.

This is a good question, I'd like to know the same. I was only able to get it working on my SP1 by using the injector too- I didn't really understand what that was, so I had no qualms about using it, but now that I realize its in place of QE/CI, I'm a little bummed to realize what I'm missing out on.

I'm in the same situation, I have tried all possible convinations unsuccessfully with qe / ci, I guess the problem is with the 0.4 zip and installing those coming from the beginning did not have that problem.

Strange.... I've tried it twice, ending In the same situation. What should the injection code be in the sconfig.plist file ? Since 0x1660004 doesnt work for me. And ive reinstalled the kexts multiple times as well :-/

if you don't have qe/ci, there is surely something wrong with your installations.

The 0.4 refixed file pack its working, tested by lots of people and by me on more than 6 Sp1s

Good hack.

Yes, it is definitely a great hack, no one is complaining here.

And maybe I do have QE/CI, I'll have to check system profiler, I just know that, like Svenator, I've never been able to boot without the Graphics injector turned on. I doubt we are the only two.

open chess : you have qe/ci

this is an extract of the config.plist (provided in the v0.4)

that enabled qe.ci on the sp1 since the beginning.

No need of manual modification or strange stuff injected, just place the files in the correct path and/or partition.

<dict>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>ATI</key>

<false/>

<key>Intel</key>

<true/>

<key>NVidia</key>

<false/>

</dict>

<key>ig-platform-id</key>

<string>0x01660004</string>

</dict>

Yes, it is definitely a great hack, no one is complaining here.

And maybe I do have QE/CI, I'll have to check system profiler, I just know that, like Svenator, I've never been able to boot without the Graphics injector turned on. I doubt we are the only two.

Whoa, wait a sec there briwil, i can launch without injection. Only my interface in launch pad and stuff look buggy and stuttering.

Giving me the idea that qe is not or not well enabled

Jahstories chess seem to look fine somehow.. No glitches there only in my launch pad and stuff