[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, my touchscreen does not work anymore, every time i boot i get a warning message from updd gestures.

is it because of the trial version? only works with the "pro" version? 

don't hate me if this has been already answered!

thank you

Sounds like it's decision time.  From what I've heard on this and other threads, you have three options:

1. Touch isn't important and you uninstall it.

2. Some level of touch support is required, but you don't want to pay for it.  Instead, you're willing to wait for Yosemite. I understand it's not as robust.  You also need to ask why it's even there in the development releases as Apple doesn't have a touch device under OS X,  It might disappear in the final release.

3. You want the full gestures support, which isn't even available in the demo version.  This case requires spending some money on a good cause.  After all, TouchBase is supporting this community, which is a small number of people and a limited market.

• Like 1

(surface1osx)

(surface2osx)

I also discovered something else that might be of great interest for the Surface community. Since I didn't want to loose windows 8 installation, and also didn't want to install it latter using a disk image, I installed Mavericks by shrinking my windows volume. Doing so, I was unable to install Clover in SSD, making me dependable of a USB Stick with Clover to boot into MacOS. I then tried to install Clover in a micro SD card that would be permanently inserted into my Surface, so that whenever I wanted to boot to MacOS, I just had to press volume down during boot process to boot into Clover. Unfortunately, for some reason, Clover installer refused to install in my card. I figured out that this is a common problem for many users. So I found this, a windows-based clover installer for external USB devices. The installation went great at the windows side, and then I just replaced the config.plist and dsdt files with those specific for the surface (the ones found in the package). Now I can boot into MacOS with just a simple and invisible micro SD card!  :lol:

This is just what I was waiting for!

Now I can choose between Windows 8 and OSX without a keyboard connected ! Power button = Win8, power button + volume down = OSX

I had trouble to install clover on my SSD, install always failed despite EFI partition was mounted. (Did not a clean install because my Windows 8 was already nicely configured with a lot of programs installed etc.)

Also tried manually swapping CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Boot/ and rename it to BOOTX64.efi as mentioned on page 62ff but then I couldn't boot int Win.

Anyway, this is the perfect solution! Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

today is Sunday, your code will surely be sended tomorrow morning :)

A lot of us bought the drivers, i bought them even if i was the first "beta tester" it's a very good piece of software :D

today is Sunday, your code will surely be sended tomorrow morning :)

A lot of us bought the drivers, i bought them even if i was the first "beta tester" it's a very good piece of software :D

Impatient me.  ;)

• Like 1

Also just adding, since I've searched the thread for "power cover" and found that no one seems to have one, I can say that I have one, that I got it when I had the latest Win8.1 installed and running, and that it doesn't seem to work in OSX. Worked fine in Windows, for the most part, but not recognized in osx as a power source.

Keyboard and trackpad seem to work just fine.

Also just adding, since I've searched the thread for "power cover" and found that no one seems to have one, I can say that I have one, that I got it when I had the latest Win8.1 installed and running, and that it doesn't seem to work in OSX. Worked fine in Windows, for the most part, but not recognized in osx as a power source.

Keyboard and trackpad seem to work just fine. 

SInce you don't have your signature in place, I can't tell what your hardware platform is.  I can tell you that the one I had clearly showed up as a second battery.  At the time, it would have been under 10.9.2.  Also, there is a firmware update that needs to be applied under Windows, without it, the power cover won't work properly.  I have since disposed of it as it didn't have keyboard backlighting, which is a mandatory for the visually challenged.

SInce you don't have your signature in place, I can't tell what your hardware platform is.  I can tell you that the one I had clearly showed up as a second battery.  At the time, it would have been under 10.9.2.  Also, there is a firmware update that needs to be applied under Windows, without it, the power cover won't work properly.  I have since disposed of it as it didn't have keyboard backlighting, which is a mandatory for the visually challenged.

Sorry, added a signature. I'm on 10.9.2- was on Windows 8.1 two days ago, and the cover was definitely working there, all firmware is up to date.

I'm surprised to hear you say it showed up as a second battery, if anything I would've thought it would show the power cover as though the computer was plugged into a wall outlet.

Did the battery monitor really say "Battery 1" and "Battery 2"?

(surface2osx)

First off, I want to thank everyone that contributes to this forum.  It has been a pleasure reading how helpful you have been in all this.  I am a long-time reader, first-time poster. 

I have gone through the entire procedure and got this thing going well, but I ran into a complication that made me wipe my entire SSD.  I think I'm in a bad spot, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.  I want to note a couple things. 

- I currently have a GUID formatted hard drive, formatted by OSX via Thumbdrive installation. 

- I can only boot into the installation via Safe Mode.

- I have attempted installing clover to the SSD, but to no avail. I keep on getting an error when the installation says "Validating Packages"

- I have zero interest in using Windows 8.1, but it seems that I am stuck right now as I do not even have a means to install that either. 

- I admit I have made some mistakes through trying to get this thing going, and it was lovely until I made a mistake from installing v.03 files while I had a v.04 installation going well.  I completely n00b'd out trying to get sleep going when I realized that my SDXC card was preventing my system going to sleep only after the fact, so I installed the v.03 files when I had a solid v.04 going.  

So considering my situation(s), what would be my best method to get 10.9.4 going on this thing again.  I have a hackintosh i7 4770K as my desktop system, and I have access to a 15" MBP Retina to work with the OSX side of the files.  Can anybody help?  I really do not want to send my tablet into Microsoft. 

Hi guys and gals:)

Thought I should mention that when choosing a wifi nano usb...BUY AN ADAPTER WITH AN RALINK CHIPSET. Mainly don't buy an adapter with a realtek chipset. 

The RALINK 2870 used in Tenda WIFI USB nano is nice. I recommend it. Ralink has reliable drivers for 10.9. Can plug it in and unplug it numerous times without rebooting. 

Wish I had known before testing numerous WIFI usb nano. 

And glad to see the RDM.app I had posted about a while ago being promoted on the thread more. It's free and quite good and 1280 is way better for an SP1 touchscreen. 

So considering my situation(s), what would be my best method to get 10.9.4 going on this thing again.  I have a hackintosh i7 4770K as my desktop system, and I have access to a 15" MBP Retina to work with the OSX side of the files.  Can anybody help?  I really do not want to send my tablet into Microsoft. 

You don't need anything in the SSD in order to start the OS X setup. If you can only start the setup from the pendrive in safe mode, then your pendrive has something wrong, and you may need to redo it from start.

You don't need anything in the SSD in order to start the OS X setup. If you can only start the setup from the pendrive in safe mode, then your pendrive has something wrong, and you may need to redo it from start.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear.  

I'm not having a problem getting the installer going, but I'm having a problem with the actual Installed OSX (What I called the installation).  I have no problems booting up my pendrive. 

Sorry if I wasn't being clear.  

I'm not having a problem getting the installer going, but I'm having a problem with the actual Installed OSX (What I called the installation).  I have no problems booting up my pendrive. 

So the install of OS X is on and working fine but you can only get into it if the pen drive is in and you use it to boot to clover?

If so, on the basis you are on 8.1 for windows, I would guess you have an additional partition installed thanks to MS before your EFI - you need to delete it to allow clover to install to the EFI drive. BEFORE YOU DO, get a recovery drive made in Windows as once you delete it there is no getting it back. 

There is a post a while back in the thread that explains in more detail, I got stuck with the same thing. In short, delete the partition for recovery, merge with the windows partition to effectively reduce the number of partitions by one. Then try to reinstall clover as you have been and should work.

I didn't experience the need to use safe mode however!

Hope that helps.

Sorry, added a signature. I'm on 10.9.2- was on Windows 8.1 two days ago, and the cover was definitely working there, all firmware is up to date.

I'm surprised to hear you say it showed up as a second battery, if anything I would've thought it would show the power cover as though the computer was plugged into a wall outlet.

Did the battery monitor really say "Battery 1" and "Battery 2"?

Did you install hwmonitor (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/) ?  I don't remember the wording as that was early April, but it was displayed there.  If it's not there, then I suspect it a difference in ACPI configs between SP1 and SP2.

(Surface2osx)

(surface2osx)

Yes, I'm quoting myself.  I figured out what was wrong with my installation.  It looks like the USB drive was not a right type.  I was using a 16GB Mini-USB drive manufactured by SanDisk that did not let me install correctly.  I took the same steps to create another USB drive on my USB 32GB 3.0 SanDisk and that had no problem.  

Now since that is out of the way, I took a long search through the forums to find some people with the same problem.  Has anybody figured out the problem with the pixelation and distorted graphics on the top menu bar and the bottom dock background?  

(Surface2osx)

Now since that is out of the way, I took a long search through the forums to find some people with the same problem.  Has anybody figured out the problem with the pixelation and distorted graphics on the top menu bar and the bottom dock background?

I haven't experienced this, but I'm still on 10.9.2- is this a 10.9.4 thing?

(Surface2osx)

@jape has seen random graphics glitches for quite some time.  He believes it is related to the SP2 4300u CPU motherboards.  I never saw it before the update to 10.9.4.  Now, I have pastel colored horizontal lines all the way across the menu bar.  The workaround I found was to enable the translucent menu bar and then find a screen background that displays the menu bar with legible characters.  I still see some glitches around the apple, but this varies by boot.  Sorry, no perfect solution yet that I'm aware of.

@aardvark, I think you and @jape are correct in that it's strictly regarding the SP2 4300u motherboards.  I had a 10.9.3 installation and I saw it back then too.  I noticed that when I changed my color profiles, it would reduce or exacerbate the pixelation, or even get rid of it all together.  I think a great solution would be to find or calibrate a color profile for this specific situation.  

@aardvark, I think you and @jape are correct in that it's strictly regarding the SP2 4300u motherboards.  I had a 10.9.3 installation and I saw it back then too.  I noticed that when I changed my color profiles, it would reduce or exacerbate the pixelation, or even get rid of it all together.  I think a great solution would be to find or calibrate a color profile for this specific situation.  

Sounds like a good idea, but not my area of expertise.  For someone with that knowledge, here are two screenshots showing the issues I see.  One shows the menu bar in normal mode with pastel colored stripes.  The other shows the menu bar "apple" with artifacts surrounding it.  These artifacts vary with each boot.  The screen background I've chosen to work with the translucent bar is the oriental pagoda building from Apple's standard screen background stock. Hope this helps.

menuBar.tiff

menuBarApple.tiff

Sounds like a good idea, but not my area of expertise.  For someone with that knowledge, here are two screenshots showing the issues I see.  One shows the menu bar in normal mode with pastel colored stripes.  The other shows the menu bar "apple" with artifacts surrounding it.  These artifacts vary with each boot.  The screen background I've chosen to work with the translucent bar is the oriental pagoda building from Apple's standard screen background stock. Hope this helps.

I took a look at your files.  The pixelation is almost identical to what you are experiencing.  Alas, I'm not really an expert in that field EITHER, but it is the only thing that has given me any type of relief on the issue.  I've included a screenshot with what has been working with the least amount of pixelation for me at a consistent level.  

Screen%20Shot%202014-07-08%20at%201.24.4

could injecting a different ig-platform-id help you guys fixing these glitches?

i'm not sure about it, but it could help. :)

It's worth a try.  I've got 0x0a260006 in the config.plist right now.  Anyone have a suggestion?

those 0162**** are for desktop but could work too, on the sp1 the bolded is used but injected via DSDT.

ig-platform-id: 01660000, Stolen is FB RAM: 96MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 4, FBMem: 3
ig-platform-id: 01660001, Stolen is FB RAM: 96MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 4, FBMem: 3
ig-platform-id: 01660002, Stolen is FB RAM: 64MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 1, FBMem: 1
ig-platform-id: 01660003, Stolen is FB RAM: 64MB, Pipes: 2 Ports: 2, FBMem: 2
(SP1) ig-platform-id: 01660004, Stolen is FB RAM: 32MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 1, FBMem: 1
ig-platform-id: 01660008, Stolen is FB RAM: 64MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 3, FBMem: 3
ig-platform-id: 01660009, Stolen is FB RAM: 64MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 3, FBMem: 3
ig-platform-id: 0166000A, Stolen is FB RAM: 32MB, Pipes: 2 Ports: 3, FBMem: 2
ig-platform-id: 0166000B, Stolen is FB RAM: 32MB, Pipes: 2 Ports: 3, FBMem: 2
ig-platform-id: 01620005, Stolen is FB RAM: 32MB, Pipes: 2 Ports: 3, FBMem: 2
ig-platform-id: 01620006, Stolen RAM for FB: 0MB, Pipes: 0, Ports 0, FBMem: 0
ig-platform-id: 01620007, Stolen RAM for FB: 0MB, Pipes: 0, Ports 0, FBMem: 0