[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Welcome, please update your signature as suggested and thanks for using the badge :)

are you sure you copied the dsdt to acpi patched on the efi partition?

try these if you downloaded the v0.4 before the file fixing

from the guide:

V 0.2 New Patched Tables *dsdt*ssdt*

Sorry signature updated.

I did copy the dsdt to the acpi/patched folder on the efi partition. I just downloaded the ones you suggested and replaced the old ones with those.

Unfortunately, I get the exact same result on boot :(

Honestly, I'm not sure what the dsdt and ssdt files do. Do I need to do a reinstall for those to take effect?

Thanks for your help.

you were probably using the right ones already...

the dsdt and ssdt are system files patched to enables sleep gfx accelleration and nullethernet(iCloud) etc..

don't need to reinstall when changed or applied

don't know what's going on with your installation... :/

I'm noticing on the Surface Pro 2 guide it adds: 

cp –R /mach_kernel /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/

to be added via terminal after install. That is not in the Surface Pro 1 guide. Is it possible that is necessary?

The reason I ask is because in the Surface Pro 1 guide it only says:

• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBatteryManager.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/

However, I could only get safe mode to load the usb if I additionally added:

• cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBacklight.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AvastarFwLoader.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/genericusbxhci.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/

Which I'm sure I could have just loaded genericusbhci.kext but I was hoping that by loading AvastarFwLoader.kext and the others it would bypass the Bluetooth Transport error I was seeing on normal boot. It didn't fix the normal boot but it did give me access to the USB drive in safe mode. From there I was able to use Kext Drop which I thought would be magic but it wasn't and here I am.

mach kernel is not needed on the sp1, we use the official apple one.

the guide is super tested, the system should boot with only fakesmc, all the other kexts can be kextdropped after the first boot

still can't understand whats wrong with your installation...

Which I'm sure I could have just loaded genericusbhci.kext but I was hoping that by loading AvastarFwLoader.kext and the others it would bypass the Bluetooth Transport error I was seeing on normal boot. It didn't fix the normal boot but it did give me access to the USB drive in safe mode. From there I was able to use Kext Drop which I thought would be magic but it wasn't and here I am.

The "bluetooth transport error" is not an actual error but just a warning that is often printed right before starting the UI, so when the UI fails, people wrongly assume Bluetooth is the cause :)

AvastarFwLoader should be strictly optional. But I suspect you're having problems with something in your USB bus (e.g. pendrive? ext Wi-Fi card?).

The "bluetooth transport error" is not an actual error but just a warning that is often printed right before starting the UI, so when the UI fails, people wrongly assume Bluetooth is the cause :)

AvastarFwLoader should be strictly optional. But I suspect you're having problems with something in your USB bus (e.g. pendrive? ext Wi-Fi card?).

I actually did get a little bit further but still not really functional. I was able to get one of the USB drives I created to boot with the injectEDID selected in options. From there I was able to get clover installed on the internal SSD! I installed all the kext files again with Kext Drop and rebooted. I got to the clover screen again (from the SSD) and attempted to boot. No luck. I once again selected injectEDID from the options and did get the SSD to boot that way. The first time it booted I actually had working bluetooth too! However, after reboot bluetooth has never worked again no matter what I do. This morning I installed the drivers for the WiFi USB card that I bought (first time I plugged it in was this morning). It is the Edimax EW-7811Un. After installing and rebooting it does kind of work but turns off and on constantly.

I'm not sure where to head from here. I've got a partially working install but not really. If I have time tonight I might try the whole process again using a different USB drive and creating it from a gold master copy of 10.9. I figured I might as well try a different 10.9 source since that is the only thing that was the same from the 2 installs that I have tried.

@jape, I was also thinking there was something wrong with the USB drives but since booting from the SSD gives the exact same results the only thing I can think is that the OS version is causing problems. (and thanks for the info on bluetooth transport error)

I did a new install, again from scratch. I used another new USB stick and installed from the 10.9 Gold Master. Unfortunately, the results are the same. I have a partially functioning system. It does appear that bluetooth is more stable as now it shows about 1 in 5 times I turn on the machine. I currently have the same problem in that when I boot it will freeze every time unless I select injectEDID from options.

It looks to me like most of the kext files error out when they try to load. I noticed that Voodoo and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri both show errors when I boot without caches. Is there some special way of using Kext Drop to install that I am doing incorrectly? All I am doing is opening the Kext Drop app and then selecting all of the kext files and dropping them in the app. After that I just click install, it works for about a minute and then shows green text saying the files were successfully installed. From there I close app. That should be it right? Nothing else?

I have had 2 nano USB wifi adapters on the SP1. BOTH had issues with multiple drivers. BOTH were sadly realtek chipset (8188 and 8192)....I said "sadly" because realtek doesn't seem to test the drivers and WIFI utility app very much.

Is there ANY nano WIFI USB adapter that actually functions properly on ANY of the Surface Pro models running ANY version of Mavericks? (Yes I am talking about plugging and unplugging with no issues, no crashes of other apps, no bluetooth problems after unplugging.....and so on) 

If so, pls do post the WIFI adapter chipset and which drivers used from where...and the version of Mavericks.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!! :D :D :D :D

(Oh, and is 10.9.3 completely safe to install on sp1?) (no probs with jape bluetooth loader or audio?)

I did a new install, again from scratch. I used another new USB stick and installed from the 10.9 Gold Master. Unfortunately, the results are the same. I have a partially functioning system. It does appear that bluetooth is more stable as now it shows about 1 in 5 times I turn on the machine. I currently have the same problem in that when I boot it will freeze every time unless I select injectEDID from options.

It looks to me like most of the kext files error out when they try to load. I noticed that Voodoo and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri both show errors when I boot without caches. Is there some special way of using Kext Drop to install that I am doing incorrectly? All I am doing is opening the Kext Drop app and then selecting all of the kext files and dropping them in the app. After that I just click install, it works for about a minute and then shows green text saying the files were successfully installed. From there I close app. That should be it right? Nothing else?

You can run "Kext Utility", available by searching this thread, to repair the permissions and build the caches.  After that, I could boot by just hitting the return key at the Clover prompt.

By the way. Tried the dsdt.aml from the fixed 0.4 pack. Wouldn't boot past Apple logo. Maybe has to do with the version of Mavericks. So updating to 10.9.2. Hopefully that will make the WIFI usb adapter work better and also make the audio nice. I may try the 4.0 dsdt again.

I am visiting china now....want to go somewhere SOOOOOOO much cleaner with reliable electronics products as soon as possible....sigh.

AND....been working on a way to do a TouchOSC style multitouch controller using TUIO. Anybody have Yeco handy?

Hi Guys,

I need some help with my Surface pro with 10.9.3

I erased the hard drive, created a partition and installed the OSX with clover as instructed in the guide.

I can now boot it with injectedid loadvideobios and fake id0x1660009.

But not the normal mode (QECI).

Without the graphics injector options, it just stuck at login screen with the apple logo.

Please help!!!!

Many thanks!

Hi there, please add a signature and use badges,

Sp1

try this 

You can run "Kext Utility", available by searching this thread, to repair the permissions and build the caches.  After that, I could boot by just hitting the return key at the Clover prompt.

We have (mostly) success! First, thanks for the ideas and input!

To document the process, just incase others run in to the same issues... I did try repairing the permissions with an app called Kext Wizard before aardvark23 suggested Kext Utility. Neither worked. I tried reinstalling the kext files with Kext Utility and then repairing permissions, still no luck.

Just now I saw JahStories' attachment and installed the kext files (with Kext Utility) contained in the attachment and the dsdt and ssdt files. I rebooted and for the first time was able to boot without injectEDID.

Now for the problems:

-USB does not work unless I boot with a USB drive plugged in.

-Bluetooth does not work unless I boot with my WiFi adapter plugged in.

-If I boot with the WiFi adapter plugged in the USB port only works for the WiFi adapter (i.e.-I can't unplug it and plug in a USB drive)

If anybody has any ideas on how to fix these small issues I'd be up for trying them out but at least everything is functional enough now to use!

On a side note, the WiFi constantly connecting and reconnecting turns out to be some sort of issue with a certain router that the WiFi adapter does not like. It connects to several other hotspots just fine.

@JahStories, what changed in those uploaded files? (I'm not even sure those were even meant for me :) )

That issues are caused by the ext wifi drivers, i remember i've posted a working driver a lot of pages ago...

i've to post a repack for v0.4, that last archivio.zip i've posted seems working so...

Hi there, please add a signature and use badges,

Sp1

try this 

Hi Jah Stories,

Just to report back, with these files, my surface 1 runs perfectly!

Thank you soooo much!!

I have also went on installed the touch-base thing: touch and pen is now fully functional.

However, when I try to use DLink DUB-E100 ver C (usb Ethernet), I tried to use Nullethernet method, it did not work: in network setting, "Ethernet" has a "self-assigned IP" sign. no internet connection.

I tried to install its own driver from  http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DUB-E100, USB Ethernet is recognized but when I plug the Ethernet cable in, it also has self-assigned IP" sign.

I am not sure it if is installation related, but please let me know if you have a solution for that as well!

Many thanks!!!

update: volume button is not working, audio works fine

touchbase drivers installation kills volumes buttons... :/

i have a dub e100 too and OS X 10.9 drivers are buggy and not working properly (even on real macs)

touchbase drivers installation kills volumes buttons... :/

i have a dub e100 too and OS X 10.9 drivers are buggy and not working properly (even on real macs)

Hi Jah Stories,

I see in its description that it supports up to 10.7, is that why or do you have a 10.9 driver?

Also could you also gave some suggestions as to what to buy for usb Ethernet or wifi please?

Thank you! 

Wow.... sleepy thread. By the way, anybody actually tried that usbpower app? I did...usb stack still crashed when unplugging USB... well... actually I think it crashed right when the usbpower app unloaded it. Seemed similar to unplugging.

So.... is there a true workaround aside from rebooting? .... because that's not a workaround.

And is there a NON-realtek WiFi nano that works properly in sp1 and sp2?

Please, this is a guide about the installation of OsX not the right place to ask about Apps or H/W compatibility, there is a Microsoft forum section, open a thread there if you want.

The thread is not sleepy, its DONE, there isn't anything more to say, its now almost one hundred pages, where anyone can find everything about osx on the surface pro.

Cordially 

JahStories

I'm a new Surface Pro 3 owner who has tried to get Mavericks installed. I have tried both tutorials listed on the first page. The only one that has given me some success was JahStories' Surface Pro 2 tutorial. I figured that since the internals of the two devices were the same that I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, it turns out that it will not boot into the installer. It gives me a blank screen when it tries to load the install GUI. I gather this is due to the new resolution that the screen has. I'm new to Clover and have had little success modifying things in the config.plist to fix this issue.

Anyone have any suggestions on my next steps? I haven't toyed with KEXTs just yet, all I've done is try both tutorials and slightly modified the config.plist: removed edid and turned on "IntelInject".

(surfaceosx)

Hi everyone, amazing guide, i have successfully installed Mavericks 10.9.3 on my Surface Pro 1

i have installed it in a partition created from mi W8.1 installation

the problem is that i can only boot osx from my usb drive, i have installed clover on the EFI partition but i don´t know how to boot from it without the usb installer...

any help would be really appreciated!

maybe i should start from scratch and reinstall osx and the install W8.1 with bootcamp? i hope there is a way to make it work without starting again :)

thanks a lot

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my surface pro's touch cover with the power cover, but before making the purchase I would like to ask anyone on here who owns the power cover if it is compatible with os x and is still able to charge the device, as I have read about when first using the power cover on windows you have to install a set of updates to get it to charge the device. If the power cover is unable to charge the surface pro when running os x then I will just go for the type cover 2 instead. Can anyone who owns the type cover 2 or touch cover 2 confirm to me if the backlight keys work under os x. Also is there a way to get the display backlighting working on the surface pro 1 yet?

Thank You.