[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

@snooz 

Welcome, please add a signature as suggested in the first post...

btw

Your questions were already answered, read the thread page by page or use search.

there is even a topic

Hi, i have achieved dual boot without reinstalling with this method on post 220

1. Boot to OS X and using OSX Pendrive to mount EFI.  Then to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

2. In EFI partition containing Clover bootloader, remove EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and copy EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Boot/ and rename it to BOOTX64.efi

3. Restart.

Hope this helps

edit: well, everything seems to work perfect, boot, gestures, etc

but i cannot get to work switch resx properly, im using a 4.3.2 version (**cked) and i can't get the 1366x768 hidpi resolution, i have followed the steps in post

but when im on switchresx control, under "custom resolution" i enter 2732x1536 and keeps on status "not installed"

• Like 1

edit: well, everything seems to work perfect, boot, gestures, etc

but i cannot get to work switch resx properly, im using a 4.3.2 version (**cked) and i can't get the 1366x768 hidpi resolution, i have followed the steps in post

but when im on switchresx control, under "custom resolution" i enter 2732x1536 and keeps on status "not installed"

... i mentioned before, if you can afford a surface pro, you probably can afford a license of switchResX (14€). The cracked versions out there dont work, and that is good so. My2Ct.

Try the "trial" ... see if this works for 10 days. Then decide if it is worth the buck.

Life is free, so just pay for the rest... :D

and maybe this could be interesting (from the first post!!!):

when you ask for help, Please remember to attach the right badge on the top of your post,
one of these:
 (surfaceosx) (surface2osx) (surfacewin) (surface2win) (androsurface) (androsurface2)

Since there are now several models with different processors

please add your hardware to the signature

you can use this as reference, just change the bolded text with your actual configuration.

Microsoft SurfacePro 1 OS:Windows, Android Cpu:u4000 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:4gb 1333  WiFi:external usb SSD:128gb

I love this phrases... and they are so helpful... afterwards.

• Like 2

For everyone either not being able to get SwitchResX to work or not wanting to use it, there is a free app called Retina DisplayMenu which I use to use back when I had my 1st gen 15 inch retina macbook pro (before my local apple store allowed me to exchange it for a maxed out 27" iMac due to having the dreaded image retention issue which continuously kept reoccurring after every screen replacement) in order to force the display to switch to its native resolution instead of using apples scaling options. I recently ran this app on my surface before buying SwitchResX and can confirm that Retina DisplayMenu did in fact have a 1280p HIDPI mode which is the equivalent of the SwitchResX HIDPI mode. So anyone who is only looking to change the resolution of the surface display to HIDPI and doesn't need any of the other features found in SwitchResX click on this link to download Retina DisplayMenu, Retina DisplayMenu. Also can anyone confirm if their backlight on the touch or type cover 2 keyboards are working? And does anyone know how to get the screen backlight adjustable on the surface pro 1?

Thank You.

... i mentioned before, if you can afford a surface pro, you probably can afford a license of switchResX (14€). The cracked versions out there dont work, and that is good so. My2Ct.

Try the "trial" ... see if this works for 10 days. Then decide if it is worth the buck.

Life is free, so just pay for the rest... :D

and maybe this could be interesting (from the first post!!!):

when you ask for help, Please remember to attach the right badge on the top of your post,
one of these:
 (surfaceosx) (surface2osx) (surfacewin) (surface2win) (androsurface) (androsurface2)

Since there are now several models with different processors

please add your hardware to the signature

you can use this as reference, just change the bolded text with your actual configuration.

Microsoft SurfacePro 1 OS:Windows, Android Cpu:u4000 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:4gb 1333 WiFi:external usb SSD:128gb

I love this phrases... and they are so helpful... afterwards.

Hello, tried the free 10 day trial version of switchresx already, but still the same problem...

For everyone either not being able to get SwitchResX to work or not wanting to use it, there is a free app called Retina DisplayMenu which I use to use back when I had my 1st gen 15 inch retina macbook pro (before my local apple store allowed me to exchange it for a maxed out 27" iMac due to having the dreaded image retention issue which continuously kept reoccurring after every screen replacement) in order to force the display to switch to its native resolution instead of using apples scaling options. I recently ran this app on my surface before buying SwitchResX and can confirm that Retina DisplayMenu did in fact have a 1280p HIDPI mode which is the equivalent of the SwitchResX HIDPI mode. So anyone who is only looking to change the resolution of the surface display to HIDPI and doesn't need any of the other features found in SwitchResX click on this link to download Retina DisplayMenu, Retina DisplayMenu. Also can anyone confirm if their backlight on the touch or type cover 2 keyboards are working? And does anyone know how to get the screen backlight adjustable on the surface pro 1?

Thank You.

thank you, with that app i can select 1280x720, looks good but 1366x768 should be the best choice, still can't select that resolution

edit: is there any way of booting with the screen brightess adjusted? it always boot at full brightes, i have tried changing it from clover configurator but didn't change a thing.

i am going to buy the type cover 2, does the keyboard control screen brightnes? 

thank you

Hello, tried the free 10 day trial version of switchresx already, but still the same problem...

thank you, with that app i can select 1280x720, looks good but 1366x768 should be the best choice, still can't select that resolution

edit: is there any way of booting with the screen brightess adjusted? it always boot at full brightes, i have tried changing it from clover configurator but didn't change a thing.

thank you

When used with my SP2, the Type Cover 2 backlighting works just fine.  The intensity is controlled by the F1 and F2 keys (the ones with the sun icon on them) in the upper left.  My understanding is you must have the version number "2" in the name for backlighting.  Note that F1 and F2 do not control the intensity of the screen.  The power cover does not have backlighting :(  Bummer.

Also, I use Brightness Slider from the app store for screen intensity.  My SP2 never boots at full brightness.

thank you

Hi, if you use the SwitchResX app first to create a 2732x1536 custom resolution and once that is active you can close SwitchResX then open the Retina DisplayMenu app and there will now be the option for 1366x768 HIDPI. Once you have selected that resolution then you can remove SwitchResX and the 1366x768 HIDPI resolution selected in the Retina DisplayMenu app should remain. However I am not sure as I only just quickly tried this now and have not attempted a reboot as I use SwitchResX.

... for my bad, i am not an angel... an ran into the same issue as you did. Lead me to a hassle free "sometimes you have to pay for education..."-buy-a-copy-of-SwitchResX.

If you like to stick with it, and want to try the trial first, feel free to contact the coder of SwitchResX - must be a french, they are stil in the WM... may be he is a footballfan... :)

(iMemo: oh god... my hundredst post... yippie!)

• Like 1

... for my bad, i am not an angel... an ran into the same issue as you did. Lead me to a hassle free "sometimes you have to pay for education..."-buy-a-copy-of-SwitchResX.

If you like to stick with it, and want to try the trial first, feel free to contact the coder of SwitchResX - must be a french, they are stil in the WM... may be he is a footballfan... :)

(iMemo: oh god... my hundredst post... yippie!)

tried the original switchresx 4.4  from their web, but still the same issues, i´m with RDM at 1280x720p at the moment, waiting for another way....

tried the original switchresx 4.4  from their web, but still the same issues, i´m with RDM at 1280x720p at the moment, waiting for another way....

@snooz

Just checking. Did you do the write to defaults as per @macspike #537?  Switchresx doesn't work well for me without it.  I saw no HiDPI at all.  You might try it again and reboot.  It looks like this:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES;

ims3yf.jpg

You need:

• 1 surface pro (1°gen or 2°gen)
  • 2 pen drives (at least 4gb each)
  • 1 Mac or Pc With Osx & Windows (Vm's are good too)

At least 4gb each? I think you would rather write "one at least 8GB, the other is 1GB minimum" ;) OS X Installer can't fit a 4GB USB ;) Good Job Tho :D Really appreciate your effort :D

(surfaceosx)

Hi folks!

I've been following this guide from a while, and then finally bought myself a Surface PRO 1. I've done some hackintoshing a long time ago, so I kinda know a bit what I'm doing. I followed this guide precisely at least 3 times (the first time I only shrank the Windows partition and at the end I couldn't install clover, so tried again with a "clean" install). I can install Maverick perfectly with no errors, but I'm only able to boot injecting the fake id at clover options. Doing that I don't have QE/CI, and this is a big problem. If I don't inject the fake id, the boot stops in verbose screen, without loading the graphical environment. I've tried booting in single user mode, repairing permissions, safe mode, and all failed, except when I inject. Do you guys have any clue on what may be happening?

Thank you!!

@JahStories

Thank you for your prompt response. I tried the drivers from that post, but unfortunately it didn't end well. I actually got QE/CI working fine, but my screen was all messed up, very noisy. I realized that this "noise" was happening according to SSD reads. So, during login, the screen was VERY noisy (like bad image from old analog TVs). After system load, the noises were more spaced. Weird, isn't? Also, I noted that a red LED was blinking on the back of the device. Actually, it's not possible to see the LED directly, but its light could be seen from the ventilation ducts. I though that this red LED was showing SSD activity, but then when I rebooted to windows, I saw that there is no LED blinking at normal system runtime.

I will try to do another clean install tomorrow and test only the drivers provided in the archive. I believe that mixing files from the archive with the previous v0.4 pack already installed may have caused these glitches.

I will report as soon as I have some results

(surfaceosx)

Clean install using the drivers in the new archive boots without injection, but only in safe mode and without QE/CI. All other modes (no caches, verbose, no caches + injected kexts) don't load the graphical interface (it stops right before that). Should I mix the drivers in the package with drivers in v0.4? Am I missing something?

edit:

also, I just realized that booting without safe mode I receive a lot of messages from AvastarFwLoader, many of them are errors (I will take a screenshot later) and then after that I get some NTFS errors too. In safe mode, my NTFS partition is not present (mounted), and I also don't receive any message from AvastarFwLoader

the files i've linked you are reported to work correctly...

if you are doing everything right... you could have a different bios/firmware version that generate your problems, but i don't think so.

I finally managed to make it work!!! To do it, I did a fresh install, installed all drivers from the archive from this post and then installed AppleACPIPlatform and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri from original v0.4 pack. It is working perfectly now!

For those interested, I also enabled HiDPI and multiple resolutions with this simple guide: https://gist.github.com/simX/3191869

These commands in terminal enable HiDPI resolutions, but not all of them. So I installed  Retina DisplayMenu mentioned in some posts earlier. Now I have a full macos running in my surface with HiDPI, thanks to us, the hackintosh community! =)

I also discovered something else that might be of great interest for the Surface community. Since I didn't want to loose windows 8 installation, and also didn't want to install it latter using a disk image, I installed Mavericks by shrinking my windows volume. Doing so, I was unable to install Clover in SSD, making me dependable of a USB Stick with Clover to boot into MacOS. I then tried to install Clover in a micro SD card that would be permanently inserted into my Surface, so that whenever I wanted to boot to MacOS, I just had to press volume down during boot process to boot into Clover. Unfortunately, for some reason, Clover installer refused to install in my card. I figured out that this is a common problem for many users. So I found this, a windows-based clover installer for external USB devices. The installation went great at the windows side, and then I just replaced the config.plist and dsdt files with those specific for the surface (the ones found in the package). Now I can boot into MacOS with just a simple and invisible micro SD card!  :lol:

Nice idea for multi booting purposes!

thx for sharing!  :wink_anim:

about the files, theres no need to make any voodoo kext mixture, just use all the files in the latest pack. :)

(surface2osx)

Hi Guys!

Since a week I found your great tutorial and like to install OSX too.

After getting different versions of OSX images I tried to make a bootable USB drive in windows.

I use the trial version of transmac and the bootdisk utility to prepair my image.

2 usb drives (2GB for Clover bootmanager only, 32GB drive for OSX image)

after a few boot cycles I get the kernel loading from the 2nd usb drive.

However I get errors that files cant be found or are to small.

I searched in the image for the files one by one and figured out that the files are only links to another file in an other location of the image.

After solving a few of this issues by simply coping the destination of the link to the place where the boot process wants to find them

I want to solve the main problem why links cant be interpreted in the boot process.

did anyone get similar issues or can me help solfing my problem?

Its my first post here so I hope the signature and the prefix of the post is like you want it.

Thanks,

Mario 

Hi there Mario and welcome to the forum,

i suggest to users who uses only windows to use a virtual machine of OsX to create the bootable installer and to follow the guide step by step.

cheers and happy hack

Hi JahStories,

Is it possible to dual-boot Android IA and OSx under Clover?

I tried to install the Android IA after installed OSX and ended up erased everything.

Please let me know when convenient.

Thank you very much!

Hi Jahstories,

Thanks for letting me know. I am installing the Android x86 and I just finished installing ubuntu, but about the last stage: formating the partition and installing android using ex3.

I dont quite know what you mean by that. When I run USB and select *android, it just run android without installation. Do you mind provide some more detail on that stage?

Thank you very much.