[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

if you modified the grub.cfg as suggested in the guide select Android debug mode.

take a deeper look;

menuentry "Android debug mode" --class android --class linux --class os {

linux /android/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=1920x1080 dpi=145 i915downclock=1 i915.powersave=1 usbcore.autosuspend=2 SRC=/android/ INSTALL=1 DEBUG=1
initrd /android/initrd.img
}

(just quit the debug and the installation will run.)

BTW: PLEASE USE THE RIGHT BADGE (androsurface or androsurface2) AND ADD A SIGNATURE.

(surface2osx)

10.9.4  installs a new mach_kernel, so SP2 will have problems unless the patched kernel is reinstalled.  It also installs new kexts IOPCIFamily, IONDRVSupport, IOGraphicsFamily, AudioAUUC, AppleBacklightExpert and System.  AudioAUUC has conflicts with VoodoHDA (from my 10.9.3 testing).  I'm not sure if it still has issues.  Be yee forewarned.  That's as far as I've gone with it, which is to install it on my MB Pro Retina.

Safe vanilla 10.9.4 update on Sp1.

I'm not so lucky on the SP2.  After the first restart, I needed to boot into the usb stick and reinstall the patched mach_kernel, then restart back into the install without caches and with injected kext.  When the system finished installing and rebooted the second time, the menu bar was a total mess.  I got around this by setting the translucent menu bar option, then selecting a screen background that shows text with sufficient contrast in the menu bar to be usable.  Then, I needed to remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/AudioAUUC.kext and run the Kext Utility to regenerate the caches.  Until this was done, there was no bluetooth, dock ethernet, or VoodooHDA audio.  So, with reservations as I don't have any test time on it yet, I'll say that 10.9.4 is working.  Now, someone with more graphics experience may need to take a look at the menu bar issue.

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my surface pro's touch cover with the power cover, but before making the purchase I would like to ask anyone on here who owns the power cover if it is compatible with os x and is still able to charge the device, as I have read about when first using the power cover on windows you have to install a set of updates to get it to charge the device. If the power cover is unable to charge the surface pro when running os x then I will just go for the type cover 2 instead. Can anyone who owns the type cover 2 or touch cover 2 confirm to me if the backlight keys work under os x. Also is there a way to get the display backlighting working on the surface pro 1 yet?

Thank You.

Well, the updates are EC/firmware updates, so technically you'd only need Windows to install the updates, and then charging should work everywhere, even when off.

That said, I don't have a power cover, so don't blame me if this is not the case.

When the system finished installing and rebooted the second time, the menu bar was a total mess.  I got around this by setting the translucent menu bar option, then selecting a screen background that shows text with sufficient contrast in the menu bar to be usable.  ... Now, someone with more graphics experience may need to take a look at the menu bar issue.

I suspect that you are getting the same or a similar corruption issue to what I saw on previous versions. Basically, it seems that on some boots you get this corruption that manifests on either the dock, the menu bar, or both (and for some reason, only on those places). When I both in (LoDPI :) ) 1366x768, I hardly experience the problem. As I increase the resolution, or increase the number of monitors, it seems that the chances of getting the corruption increase proportionally.

No idea what causes it, but I'm on 4300U, and I see that you are too.

Well, the updates are EC/firmware updates, so technically you'd only need Windows to install the updates, and then charging should work everywhere, even when off.

That said, I don't have a power cover, so don't blame me if this is not the case.

I suspect that you are getting the same or a similar corruption issue to what I saw on previous versions. Basically, it seems that on some boots you get this corruption that manifests on either the dock, the menu bar, or both (and for some reason, only on those places). When I both in (LoDPI :) ) 1366x768, I hardly experience the problem. As I increase the resolution, or increase the number of monitors, it seems that the chances of getting the corruption increase proportionally.

No idea what causes it, but I'm on 4300U, and I see that you are too.

@miles400

Use Windoze to apply the fw update.  OSX will charge it afterwards.  However, no backlighting on the power cover.

@jape

I'm using 1366x768.  I've tried other resolutions, but the problem persists.

Is there a video tutorial for surface pro 1st gen? I've followed the guide and just cant get past the bluetooth error freeze.

Ive redone the usb several times to no avail and tried with the graphics options and safe mode but just cant get it to run

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Is there a video tutorial for surface pro 1st gen? I've followed the guide and just cant get past the bluetooth error freeze.

Ive redone the usb several times to no avail and tried with the graphics options and safe mode but just cant get it to run

Any help will be greatly appreciated

It's been a while since I've watched the video on the SP2 install by MacSpike.  However, it's fundamentally the same process, but the files are different.  What's missing on the SP2 and possibly on the SP1 (I only have an SP2 so I can't check) is that you need to disable secure boot.  To do this, you need to hold down the volume rocker in the UP position while pressing the power button.  Wait until you see the initial screen with the rotating marbles thingie and then let up on the power button.  Continue to depress the volume rocker until you boot into the secure boot screen, then disable secure boot, save and exit.  Power off.  Then start the install where you put the usb drive in the system and boot with the volume rocker held in the down position.

As for the bluetooth freeze, I had no luck installing on my SP2 with /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext on the usb drive. Beginning in 10.9.3, I found conflicts between AudioAUUC.kext and VoodooHDA.kext.  I recommend deleting both of them from the usb drive.  Since a Hackintosh is a labor of love, also known as a continuous debugging process, keep your eyes peeled for when Apple reinstalls these kext with an update, such as 10.9.4, eh?

• Like 1

I followed this guide and successfully installed mavericks on my Acer iconia w700 tablet, very similar to sp2 - i5 etc.

Is there any chance to Jape make bluetooth fix for Atheos AR9462 on w700?

post-1040307-0-38318100-1404277451_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since I've watched the video on the SP2 install by MacSpike. However, it's fundamentally the same process, but the files are different. What's missing on the SP2 and possibly on the SP1 (I only have an SP2 so I can't check) is that you need to disable secure boot. To do this, you need to hold down the volume rocker in the UP position while pressing the power button. Wait until you see the initial screen with the rotating marbles thingie and then let up on the power button. Continue to depress the volume rocker until you boot into the secure boot screen, then disable secure boot, save and exit. Power off. Then start the install where you put the usb drive in the system and boot with the volume rocker held in the down position.

As for the bluetooth freeze, I had no luck installing on my SP2 with /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext on the usb drive. Beginning in 10.9.3, I found conflicts between AudioAUUC.kext and VoodooHDA.kext. I recommend deleting both of them from the usb drive. Since a Hackintosh is a labor of love, also known as a continuous debugging process, keep your eyes peeled for when Apple reinstalls these kext with an update, such as 10.9.4, eh?

Thanks aardvark. Will try it out

This is the log I had. Not sure if it's correct or not

post-1366271-14042804993677_thumb.jpg

I followed this guide and successfully installed mavericks on my Acer iconia w700 tablet, very similar to sp2 - i5 etc.

Obviously not. Avastar and Atheros are not related in any way.

It would be nice if you open a new thread to share your experience about the Iconia (feel free to re-use needed parts of this guide), i'm opening its section. ;)

Hi, I have just realised that upon looking at the information in the SATA tab of system report that TRIM Support is not enabled by default, as it is only enabled automatically for apple's SSDs and not third party ones. So would I be correct in saying it would be advisable to use a third party app such as TRIM enabler to enable TRIM support on the surface SSD under OS X, as it should in theory greatly improve the life of the SSD?

Thank you.

Hi, I have just realised that upon looking at the information in the SATA tab of system report that TRIM Support is not enabled by default, as it is only enabled automatically for apple's SSDs and not third party ones. So would I be correct in saying it would be advisable to use a third party app such as TRIM enabler to enable TRIM support on the surface SSD under OS X, as it should in theory greatly improve the life of the SSD?

Thank you.

Give this a shot: http://www.return1.at/trim-enabler-for-osx/

Works great with 10.9.4/SP1 (at least, so far...)

• Like 3

Hey folks, total Hackintosh n00b here. Read all the forum posts like a good lurker, got a SP1 running pretty solidly in dual-boot fashion. Before I take the plunge and do an OS X-only install, I wanted to ensure that I could restore the SP1 to out-of-the-box freshness (or, at least, as close as possible). For anyone that needs to hit the reset button if you're looking to gift/sell your Surface, check out these threads:

Reinstall Windows from image
-- A non-OEM image on a Surface is highly usable without doing any updates. Should at least allow you to...

Recreate Recovery Partition from USB key
-- That is, if you remembered to create one :unsure:

I also cleaned up both threads (the second one is a little messy) if you want an offline copy to save down: http://pastebin.com/LjZPEqP8

Can't thank all of you enough. This has been one of the more fun projects I've taken on in recent memory, and it's saved me some scratch insofar as not having to buy a MacBook Air!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, my touchscreen does not work anymore, every time i boot i get a warning message from updd gestures.

is it because of the trial version? only works with the "pro" version? 

don't hate me if this has been already answered!

thank you