[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

i didn't catch what you seen when installing the kexts, 

btw macspike made the files packages for the surface pro 2, try sending him a pm...

about the windows 8.1 usb key creation you need a windows 8.1 64 bit pro and any compatible software to write the iso to usb, rufus is just one of such tools.

Well when I pressed enter after typing each extension in, I seen some lines  and a few words like illegal action and it seems like the rest of the info states a transfer of a file from one destination to another.

For the windows reinstallation, could I make a recover drive using windows 8 built in program "create a recovery drive"? Will it be able to boot and install Windows 8 if the hard drive is completely erased?

<Surface 1 OSX i5-3317U Users>

I requested Mirone on this forum in AppHDA patch requests topic, he gave me a link to download a Patched  AppleHDA.kext and a DSDT.aml for ALC280 from the DSDT I uploaded to him.  It has not worked for me yet, but I am not quite sure if i should replace the DSDT.aml in Volumes/EFI/EFI/ACPI/Patch or somewhere else.  

Here is the link to the AppHDA patch requests topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293863-applehda-patch-requests/ 

Here is the link to the patched files:

http://www.insanelym...ttach_id=137652

If anyone gets it to work, post how you did it here..

P.S.  You have to remove the HDADisabler.kext and the VoodooHDA.kext first...

(surfaceosx)

My Bluetooth doesn't want to load anymore, anyone else having that problem. I've tried repairing permissions, booting in safe mode, with and without caches. Nothing so far

This could be the same issue I'm seeing with AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext - the patched version included in the v0.3 extra kext archive locks my surface up at the bluetooth reponse. Try restoring the original AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and repairing permissions.

<Surface 2 OSX i5-4300u Users>

I get the question where to put dart=0 in the config.plist a lot :

Voila ...  :)

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-f npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 dart=0</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Mavericks</string>
<key>Fast</key>
<false/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>LegacyBiosDefault</string>
<key>Log</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>-1</string>
</dict>
<key>Devices</key>

@ Everyone

I requested Mirone on this forum in AppHDA patch requests topic, he gave me a link to download a Patched  AppleHDA.kext and a DSDT.aml for ALC280 from the DSDT I uploaded to him.  It has not worked for me yet, but I am not quite sure if i should replace the DSDT.aml in Volumes/EFI/EFI/ACPI/Patch or somewhere else.  

The Surface Pro 2 has the Realtek ALC3230.

The AppleHDA drivers are not compatible with the ALC3230.

@nickwelsh 

usb seems working good, don't know what could have caused your usb port not working...

did it work on a safe boot?

@frankpacheco

the dsdt must be placed in efipartition  acpi/pathed

does the usb port work in safe mode?

After you boot the system try to install all the kexts via kextdrop, you can place it in your installation drive and copy it like you did with the kexts.

<Surface 1 OSX i5-3317U Users>

Doesn't work for me, the link your provided has the wrong DSDT which is for a dell system. I tried couple other in the thread, nothing works for me. Thanks

My next issue, the sound "works" meaning that I can hear everything but it peaks even if the volume is turned down to a low setting. It's mostly the low frequencies. Also, it doesn't see to detect when headphones are plugged in/pulled out. I have to manually change it. Anyone else having this issue/a fix for it?

@nickwelsh 

Nice, happy to hear it fixed that.

to improve audio quality you can use an app called soundflower, the automatic switch is not yet supported, it needs a properly patched voodoohda or a modded applehda.

it was explained a couple of pages ago

take a look at the excel surface pro bug's file.

(surfaceosx)

I'm having a problem with the wifi driver for edimax 7811un.  It works fine at home, however, for work, we have BYOB wifi.  I need a user name and password to autheticate.  But the edimax 7811un software only has network key.  Does anyone know of a way around this?

that's a issue related to the drivers and the wifi key not to the surfacepro...

you can to find a driver for another usbkey with the same chipset as yours, it may add support for your work networks, good luck for the search.

@BenjaminLSR

the main issue is that there isn't any hardware for real mac that uses that chipset, so there isn't anyone that can earn money writing a driver for that device on osx, maybe, when there'll be more devices that use that chipset, someone will write a driver or port the wifiex driver from linux.

:/

(surfaceosx)

I'm having a problem with the wifi driver for edimax 7811un.  It works fine at home, however, for work, we have BYOB wifi.  I need a user name and password to autheticate.  But the edimax 7811un software only has network key.  Does anyone know of a way around this?

Yeah, I have the same issue, we authentication with a domain\username   and password. This is not included in the software. 

Does anyone have OS X working well on Surface Pro 2 with the newer i5 4300u processor? I have made multiple USB install sticks and installed many times. Everything works, but it is unusable because it is so slow. I have the spinning colored orb for 10s whenever I try and change folders in finder?

So I installed a fresh OS X 10.9.2 onto a USB 3.0 external HDD (spinning HDD, not SSD) and it is very snappy.

I then formatted a partition on the surface SSD and formatted to HFS+ journal. Copied from the external drive to SSD with Carbon Copier. The machine boots, but is again very slow. Anyone else experience this? Solution?

Never had such problems, only a couple of surface pro 2 users reported this issue, be sure to install all the kexts with kextdrop clear the permissions, the disk, do a full safe boot then restart

P.s. noone suggested carbon copy

• Like 1

Its about 15secs to shutdown after you click shutdown only when the Wifi is plugged in - otherwise without the wifi adapter it shuts down instantly or less than 3secs.

(surfaceosx)

What are the average shutdown times on your system(s)... roundabout?

(surfaceosx)

(surface2osx)

I was able to create a dual-boot setup without having to format my original windows partition and thought that I would share how I did it.

1. Copy all of the files in the EFI partition when creating the USB installation/boot drive
  2. Follow the guide until you have OSX installed on a new partition
  3. Run Clover Configurator and mount EFI partition (the one starting with disk0 if you have a USB drive inserted)
  4. It should mount a drive called SYSTEM with the EFI partition inside
  5. Install Clover on your OSX partition and then reboot back into OSX
  6. Run Clover Configurator and mount EFI partition again
  7. First backup the entire EFI folder, then replace everything in EFI with the files that you copied earlier when creating the USB installer/boot drive.
  8. Delete both files in EFI/BOOT/ and then copy over CLOVERX64.efi from EFI/CLOVER/ to EFI/BOOT/
  9. Rename the CLOVERX64.efi file you just copied over to BOOTX64.efi
  10. From the Backup folder you made in step 7, copy over the Microsoft folder to EFI
  11. Reboot, and you should be able to dual boot OSX and Windows

YMMV, but this is how I was able to achieve a dual-boot system with the original disk partition and windows installation intact.

Should this also work on a surface pro 1?

(surfaceosx)

I finally got the production drivers from touch-base.  Generally, it works pretty well.  2 minor issues that I am having.  1) Right click, what's the best setting to activate the right click.  I have the 2 finger tap to activate the right click but it doesn't feel very natural.  2) I have the virtual keyboard showing on text focus.  It doesn't always pops up at the right time.  And the keyboard is pretty small. 

What's your experience with various settings and keyboards? 

@scartattack

i suggest to find a better way to install clover, renaming windows efi's file is not a great idea at all.

btw if you have problems mounting the efi partition you can try clover configurator and then the regular clover installer. 

@tyroiii

there are various options for right click, but the one that i prefer is two finger one, just keep in mind that it will "click" where you put your second finger.

Right now there isn't a proper "touch keyboard", but i found virtual keyboard from corallosoft a good "temporary" solution.

@scartattack

i suggest to find a better way to install clover, renaming windows efi's file is not a great idea at all.

btw if you have problems mounting the efi partition you can try clover configurator and then the regular clover installer.

@tyroiii

there are various options for right click, but the one that i prefer is two finger one, just keep in mind that it will "click" where you put your second finger.

Right now there isn't a proper "touch keyboard", but i found virtual keyboard from corallosoft a good "temporary" solution.

Renaming the windows efi file was the only way I got it to work as did many. Jah what is your suggestion?