[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface2osx)

@JahStories: Thanks for your reply. The efi partition fails to mount. This is the 4th time I format the whole drive and Im sure that I followed the guide step by step.

keep on trying to find a solution, keep in mind that a lot of users succesfully installed clover and osx using this guide.

read the whole thread post by post and you'll probably find a solution.

Btw just to be sure:

Disk-Utility-1.jpg

(the image is an example not from an actual surface pro)

1. during the installation you have to open disc utility
  2. select the root of your drive, not the partition.
  3. select one partition (macos extended journalized) (must be the whole drive, 128gb)
  4. click Options
  5. Select guid
  6. click ok
  7. then click apply.
  8. you'll have a clean guid drive.

if this doesn't work don't keep on posting that you can't install clover, wait for someone's help.

(surface2osx)

@caleidosCope: safeboot is disabled  :yes:  just wiped my disk again (this is the 3rd try).

- Formatted to FAT, then back to MacOSExtended journaled, tried to install clover v.2636 on the ssd but still fails (same version I used to boot from pen drive, created on MacMini). If I try to install clover on another pen drive (on the SP2) the installation fails  ;)

- There is a EFI partition on the SSD

attachicon.gifIMG_0692.JPG

... and this extra EFI could be the problem. As JahStories pointed to: WIPE THE WHOLE DISK (root).

Microsoft intros an LTE version of the Surface 2, arrives tomorrow for $679

DSC08861.jpg

As hard as it is to believe, Microsoft has until now never put out a 3G/4G Surface tablet. But we knew one would come eventually: the company said it was working on an LTE-enabled Surface 2 and indeed, the thing recently surfaced (har) in FCC documents. Now it's finally here: Microsoft just announced that the LTE Surface 2 will go on sale tomorrow, and will be compatible on AT&T's 4G network here in the US. (Fun fact: its official name is literally "Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE)".) All told, it'll sell for $679 with 64GB of built-in storage. That's a $130 premium over the 64GB WiFi-only model which, if you're paying attention, is the same premium you'd pay for a cellular iPad over a WiFi one (it's worth noting, however, that the 4G Surface 2 is considerably less expensive).

Happily, the Surface 2 comes free of any contractual agreements. The big catch, of course, is that you'll need an AT&T micro-SIM: the tablet supports LTE bands 4, 7 and 17, along with 3G UTMS (bands 1, 2 and 5) and regular old GSM (800/900/1800/1900MHz). In theory, that also means you should be able to get away with using a T-Mobile SIM, since T-Mobile also uses LTE 4 and 1900MHz 3G. T-Mo isn't officially supported, though, so don't expect anything in the way of possible bug fixes or performance enhancements. Either way, what's nice is that even with the LTE, the tablet promises the same battery life (up to 10 hours) and basically weighs the same as it did before.

In any case, you can find the Surface 2 with LTE tomorrow at Microsoft Stores, MicrosoftStore.com and Best Buy (but not AT&T stores, oddly). Oh, and all those promotions Microsoft was offering back when the Surface 2 first launched? They still apply five months later on this LTE version. That means you can expect 200GB of free OneDrive storage for two years and a year of unlimited Skype WiFi calling and landline calls.

(surface2osx)

I was able to create a dual-boot setup without having to format my original windows partition and thought that I would share how I did it.

1. Copy all of the files in the EFI partition when creating the USB installation/boot drive
  2. Follow the guide until you have OSX installed on a new partition
  3. Run Clover Configurator and mount EFI partition (the one starting with disk0 if you have a USB drive inserted)
  4. It should mount a drive called SYSTEM with the EFI partition inside
  5. Install Clover on your OSX partition and then reboot back into OSX
  6. Run Clover Configurator and mount EFI partition again
  7. First backup the entire EFI folder, then replace everything in EFI with the files that you copied earlier when creating the USB installer/boot drive.
  8. Delete both files in EFI/BOOT/ and then copy over CLOVERX64.efi from EFI/CLOVER/ to EFI/BOOT/
  9. Rename the CLOVERX64.efi file you just copied over to BOOTX64.efi
  10. From the Backup folder you made in step 7, copy over the Microsoft folder to EFI
  11. Reboot, and you should be able to dual boot OSX and Windows

YMMV, but this is how I was able to achieve a dual-boot system with the original disk partition and windows installation intact.

• Like 1

Hey guys, the physical volume buttons have stopped working on osx for me (as in when you click up, it doesnt show the speaker icon nor increase the volume). It was fine before, I think it stopped after installing the wifi drivers but still not sure. Do I need to reinstall a kext (i did most of them already)? :S Would appreciate the help

Hey guys, the physical volume buttons have stopped working on osx for me (as in when you click up, it doesnt show the speaker icon nor increase the volume). It was fine before, I think it stopped after installing the wifi drivers but still not sure. Do I need to reinstall a kext (i did most of them already)? :S Would appreciate the help

Hi. If you do a search "up there" (in this topic), and you ll use the search term "volume buttons" or "volume button", will help you ...

I'm having this issue too. Let's search as caleidosCope told us :P

@BenjaminLSR / mythamp:

it’s a touchbase-driver issue, we all have that (except the ones who took the testdriver with proximity support...) - but you came up to post 1237... it was on the way, didn’t you see it?! :P

and YES you should read the whole post, avoiding same questions every 20th post.

Dont want to be unpolite... :dev: . Sorry if i hurt someone. If you "double ask" in other forums you'll just be ignored...even the question was 100 threadpages before.

Lol.. no parallel guides!

Why are people having to reinstall 8.1.. I resized my windows 8.1 and installed osx in the new partition.. then went to the efi partition and added clover.. i still keep all my old win 8.1 stuff.

Why are people going to follow a guide that tells them to wipe out win 8.1 completely? Makes no sense...

@donannis i tried to resize my win partition and i installed osx but clover failed to install. this is the only way i found to use both os without a clover pendrive to boot osx.

i wrote that guide to help. delete it if u don't like it. i don't care. but i hope to c it on 1st page because there isn't a guide that is really step by step. 

Once you install osx into your resized partition.. use clover configurator... it will mount your efi partition.

just copy the clover folder to your efi partition, and 

1. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  2. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  3. Reboot without the Clover USB

From there you can modify your config.plist file and give your machine a valid macbook air serial number.

that's it.. I have a Surface pro 2 4300U running 8.1 and OSX 10.9.2 and never had to wipe my old 8.1 installation. it's dual boot, all driver installed, running fine, 100% facetime, imessage, app store.

ok, that's weird I had to turn off secure boot control, and it mounted fine. after loading from the drive into mavericks, you load Clover Configurator It says "I can't find a config file, do you want to mount efi parition?" then unexpected disk identifier: disk0s2 > continue.. and you click yes.. then goto finder and press windows key-shift G and type in /Volumes/EFI/

I had a whole lot of trouble getting Clover Configurator to mount my my EFI partition too, so i just did it manually..

open up terminal and type:

diskutil list

find the partition on disk 0 which is called 'EFI', in my case it was disk0s2. then type:

mkdir /volumes/efi

to make a directory to mount the EFI partition, then:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /volumes/efi

that will mount your EFI partition, which will now show up in finder. Copy over your Clover folder and backup/replace bootmgfw.efi and your ready to rock.

PS. in windows with the OSX USB you created inserted will reveal the EFI partition, so you can grab CLOVERx64 with which to replace the bootmgfw.efi as explained donannis previously

PSS/rant. it seems a massive oversight that Clover Configurator is distributed with a web installer! this have me a headache :)

We just bought the new licenses for the touchbase drivers and these are ones which come with pen proximity, as per Dave's email. How come for the trial version Volume buttons work, but not on the full version? Is it working for any other user with the latest registered touchbase drivers?