[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

We just bought the new licenses for the touchbase drivers and these are ones which come with pen proximity, as per Dave's email. How come for the trail version Volume buttons work, but not on the full version? Is it working for any other user with the latest registered touchbase drivers?

the version posted on Mar 10th has the same volume button problem as non-proximity version.

• Like 1

@ mythump

Not working for me either. Kinda sucks. Also, finger touch is not every good. I can't click and drag. It freaks out. Also, if I bring up the onscreen keyboard and type, it double clicks on letters. Some gestures on the other hand, work great. Such as most trackpad gestures like mission control and app switching are pretty smooth.

Pen works ok. Tested it with sketchbook pro but lays down a dashed line. Pressure sensitivity is somewhat detected.

It's an incredible feat that this project has come this far, but this driver so far has left me a bit underwhelmed. I think I might stick to the keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

Edit

Touch works better now. Total user error. I installed the TUIO server when i think it wasn't needed. I uninstalled it and now click and drag works great! It also alleviated the pen stroke issues. Again in sketchbook pro, a little lag but full pressure support.

Another observation, my surface seems to be running a bit hotter after the touch driver install. Idling around 60-65. Prior it was mid 50's. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Does anyone know how to get the surface to boot with no keyboard and be able to choose  windows or OSX  by touch? and login to OSX without a keyboard? I would really like to use it for OSX with no need for keyboard.

Does anyone know how to get the surface to boot with no keyboard and be able to choose  windows or OSX  by touch? and login to OSX without a keyboard? I would really like to use it for OSX with no need for keyboard.

the version posted on Mar 10th has the same volume button problem as non-proximity version.

I'm using it too and can confirm the issue.

Well I guess it would require Clover to handle volume UP/DOWN instructions to let you navigate.

Even if you succeed at this, you won't be able to type your OSX password without keyboard...

(surfaceosx)

Thanks again for the hard work JahStories, I'm loving Mavericks on my Surface Pro.

If anyone else is struggling to get backlight, QE/QI and sleep working, I have a few changes to the v0.3 process that has resolved these issues for me. 

Don't install the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext file in the "patched extra kext" linik.

Use the config.plist attached - the one in the 0.3 link archive appears to be incorrect, where the ig-platform-id is 0x01660004 but 0x0166000A works for me.

KextDrop ACPIBacklight.kext, copy dsdt.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and generate a serial with CloverConfigurator as written in JahStories' instructions.

Remember that you will also need RehabMan's NullEthernet.kext and a generated serial to access the apple store (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet)

YMMV, but this has resulted in a perfect Mavericks install for me!

JahStories, happy for you to include this in your guide if you think it's correct and I'll edit my post if you consider this a parallel guide.

Edit: turns out that the config.plist change was a red herring.

config.plist.zip

flapclock, the Aiframebuffercapri kext is needed for multi screen support, it's patched.

the ig platform id 166000a was the first we used in the past files package, but it's a desktop string, 1660004 instead is a mobile string and works better.

btw since is not a parallel guide, you can leave it, maybe someone will find it useful. ;)

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a Surface Pro or Pro 2 and use OSX on it, but I have some concerns regarding the day-per-dar use. Currently I hace a MacBook Air and an iPad 2 and I would like to have a tablet but not limited as the iPad is for some tasks. And OSX is a must for me. My questions are:

- Do BT and Mini Display Port work? I use to have the laptop closed and connected to a 27" with wireless trackpad and keyboard

- How about battery on Mac OS X?

- What is the best HD capacity? 128GB will be enough?

Thanks in advance!

1) You need a bluetooth dongle to get it to work, a little USB hub with wireless or wired network. OSX doesn't have drivers for the wireless built into the surface pro.

2) Battery works fine for me, charges and discharges.

3) 128 gb is plenty.

On another Note.. I just got the Battery Cover.. Holy hell it's like a huge brick, lol.

It's almost the size and weight of the surface itself!

• Like 1

Does anyone have OS X working well on Surface Pro 2 with the newer i5 4300u processor? I have made multiple USB install sticks and installed many times. Everything works, but it is unusable because it is so slow. I have the spinning colored orb for 10s whenever I try and change folders in finder?

Does anyone have OS X working well on Surface Pro 2 with the newer i5 4300u processor? I have made multiple USB install sticks and installed many times. Everything works, but it is unusable because it is so slow. I have the spinning colored orb for 10s whenever I try and change folders in finder?

Did you put "Dart=0" in your config.plist file for clover? if not, do a search for dart=0 

@BenjaminLSR 

I've definitely had my share of audio lag/glitches. Just search for me in the thread and give my workaround a try. It's worth a shot at least. Re-syncing the audio clock with Soundflower solved my problems on 10.9.1 - but strangely after just upgrading to 10.9.2 the VoodooHDA now works great without it. 

@BenjaminLSR 

I've definitely had my share of audio lag/glitches. Just search for me in the thread and give my workaround a try. It's worth a shot at least. Re-syncing the audio clock with Soundflower solved my problems on 10.9.1 - but strangely after just upgrading to 10.9.2 the VoodooHDA now works great without it. 

I'll try the fixed VoodooHDA and Soundflower tonight.

You are not alone. the Voodoo audio driver on surfaceosx is buggy.

Should I use the AppleHDA one ?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Question for you all, is there any usb combo wifi/bluetooth dongle working with OSX ?

(Surface2ProOSX)

I had an issue with the bluetooth system. It stopped working, it was showing like it was working but there where no way to add new devices or activate the ones that I already had, unplugging and plugging the adapter back, restart or shutdown, nothing, no solution, so looking around looks like this happened even with the real Mac's with 10.9.2. Some one found a way to solve this, and it did indeed:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth ControllerPowerState -int 1
sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist

So just in case this happens to some one here, I wanted to share...

Source:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289871-bluetooth-stuck-in-on-state-and-not-working/?p=1964265

I'll try the fixed VoodooHDA and Soundflower tonight.

Should I use the AppleHDA one ?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Question for you all, is there any usb combo wifi/bluetooth dongle working with OSX ?

there is no AppleHDA driver for surface pro. Maybe someone will patch it based on ALC280 codec, but it's not yet done. I've tried the fixed VoodooHDA from #knod but it seems for surface pro 2, and doesn't work on my surface pro.

(surfaceosx)

I have followed your guide to install OS X Mavericks on the Surface Pro (1st gen.) It looks like everything is working except Wi-Fi and the USB port. If I boot into Windows 8.1 the USB port works. In Mavericks, it doesn’t. I had Mountain Lion Installed before and it worked. After updating to Mavericks, the USB stopped working. This means no Wi-Fi as I have to use a USB Wi-Fi adaptor. Any ideas?

Edited by fantomas1
post moved and edited

This is my system specs

Microsoft Surface Pro 2

128GB SSD

4GB Memory

Core i5 4300U CPU

Windows 8.1 with latest updates

I am using the latest Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 I downloaded from the Apple store

VMware running Mac OS X Mountain Lion to make the bootable disk

Files Package V0.3 for 10.9.2

Scan disk usb flash drive 16GB

Attempting to dual boot with windows 8.1, made a partition for Mac OS X

The newest clover

Secure boot is disabled "RED SCREEN"

Newest Clover Configuration

I'm following all the steps but I get this message on my screen after I have installed Mavericks, input the extensions, then restart holding the volume down button and select my Mavericks drive "newly installed os" booting without caches and injected kext. please look below.

1.Few questions I have, I noticed that the config.plist for the 10.9.2 package looks invisible when viewing the file under OS X. The config.plist for the older files packages are not invisible, why is that?

2. When I try to add dart=0 for my config.plist using clover configuration, the program will not load up my config.plist settings, everything remains blank in the settings for Clover configuration. So I use text editor to add dart=0 on the boot string line, IS THAT WRONG??????

3.In the guide it saids copy the extensions in the terminal, do I write the extension into the terminal, then press enter for each extension I input or do I  write the extension, use the space bar to start on the next line until I have written  all the extensions down, then just quite terminal? What is the proper method for inputting the extensions?

If I made an error on setting up the config.plist could somebody please send me a config.plist for 10.9.2 that is exactally the same as the one in the file package with the addition of adding "dart=0" in the config.plist.

My question is Mac OS X 10.9.2 able to be installed with windows 8.1 because I heard somebody say something about a firmware update blocking something, but in my situation I think I'm doing it wrong. Also I was wondering what does the "NTSF-fs error" mean?  

I have spent weeks trying to get this to work, so any info will be much appreciated, thanks for reading.

post-1319994-0-52313900-1395352845_thumb.jpg

@nickwelsh

that's really a strange issue, does something appear on system profiler under usb?

HT6053_usb_rev2_en.png

@donannis

you can try to use disc utility, but it's not sure if it's going to work or not...

or you can try some linux live disc tool...

@GundamX7X

i don't know if you did the terminal kext installation correctly,

you have to install them one by one and not use space...

And i always suggest a clean install of osx formatting the whole drive, you can install windows 8.1 later...

are you using the provided mach_kernel?

• Like 1

Yes, I am using the mach kernel, so what you are telling me about the extensions is that once I type a line in, press enter and type in the next extensions? When I did that last time I seen some info under it looked like a design and some info, wish I had a pic. I'm still not sure if I did the config.plist right. I was having problems loading it with clover configuration. By any chance could you upload a config.plist for 10.9.2 that has dart=0 added to it and send me a copy? In the it guide it said to use rufus to make a usb key maker but what are the steps to accomplish that. As for the iso can I make one using windows 8, like a backup copy iso of my os?