[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surfaceosx)  

I just wanted a Touchscreen Mac  :P

Though, do use Logic Pro X for just for fun, I am far from a being a musician or a Singer, (I do run a soundboard for our church),  I noticed that there are apps for the iPad and Android tablets, that enable you to use them as a Midi Surface touch screen controller for Logic, Protools and several other DAWs...  But after a long search, I Couldn't find any DAW controller software for Mac, or even Windows...  I Think  Multitouch  DAW controller application for the Surface Pro would be cool...  I could try and see if the AndroidOSX86 port would work with the TouchDAW app for Android..   It could be a Viable app for Musicians to have, DAW controller and Tablet/Mini Laptop combo....

I believe I figured out the problem that was causing the occasional slow boot time / choppy audio combo.

Apparently when upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, a 600mb Windows RE partition is automatically created in the front of the partition table. OS X doesn't like when the EFI partition isn't first, so if you can move the EFI partition to be first it should fix the random bad booting problem. I just deleted the recovery partition and extended the EFI partition into it (using Partition Wizard for Windows) and so far my boots have been consistent with no more choppy audio.

• Like 1

When I only had OSX installed I configured clover to boot right into OSX not even showing the clover splash screen, however, right after I installed windows 8.1 now my surface pro 1st gen boots directly into windows 8.1 and doesn't show clover.  I have to hold volume down while booting in order to get into osx.... I would REALLY like it if I can get back to booting directly into OSX instead of 8.1.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I appreciate it!! :-)

@minimojoman

Look at post #1318; here

This helped me out... read the "other" thread... do the stuff to your configplist with clover-configurator like its shown in the image, also.

(BTW: did you read the whole thread? if YES, read it again!)

@counter5th @Jah Stories @Frank Pacheco

Wahoo... i dont care. People that "do music" are MUSICIANS in my point of view...I am hackintoshing since i got my late2008 iMac ;) - Built up 4 or 5 Hackintoshes... but this is the "sweetest nut"!!! Keep up, an thanks again to all involved! (OneNote (working like it should... not that Metro/OSX-{censored} they offer for free (Please MS: do it right on OSX, an i am leaving Windows 4 ever! - dont you like that?! ;) ), Garageband, Logic, Keynote ... on one Portable machine. :drool:)

So may i call us the crazy ones :D

Hackmusicians :P

@frankpacheco

if you want to use it as a midi controller you can try to install android in a dual boot config.

@counter5th

i belive you about the scene, a couple of years ago even here in sicily we did a lot of **legal parties on the beach and hidden in the vulcano's forest.

But sadly now the police is a little too brutal to those who are organizing parties... they confiscate EVERYTHING, pants included.

(surfaceosx)

one more issue i'm encountering is that my micro sd card ejects randomly sometimes.  i think it has to do with the machine trying to initiate sleep.  i've only noticed the "device not ejected properly" every once in a while after the machine has been left alone for awhile.  i'm disabling sleep for now do see if that clears it up.  i have both my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on a sandisk extreme pro to leave on the main drive for apps.  

does anyone else have issues with the sd card ejecting?

@JahStories

It looks like that worked. Here is what I did:

1. Download this zip and extract it.
  2. Download and install Clover Configurator.
  3. Open Clover Configurator and go to SMBIOS and click the magic wand.
  4. Pick the model number that matches your clover install. For me (and everyone else?) it is “MacBookAir5,2” 
  5. Pick a year. I used 2013.
  6. Click the two shake buttons and you will get a serial.
  7. Copy that into this page. If you get an error, generate a new serial by clicking on the shake buttons.
  8. Keep creating a serial until it goes through the apple page.
  9. Copy that serial and put it into your EFI>CLOVER>config.plist file where the current serial is. It will be under the “<key>SerialNumber</key>” The current serial will be in-between <string> and </string>.
  10. In System Preferences>Network, delete all network connections. Click apply and quit system preferences.
  11. Open Kext Drop (you should have this from the original post. if not, it is available here) and drag and drop “NullEthernetInjector.kext” from the downloaded zip into it. Click Install and enter your admin password.
  12. Drag and drop “NullEthernet.kext” from the Release folder in the downloaded zip into Kext Drop. Click Install and enter your admin password.
  13. Quit Kext Drop
  14. Go to your OS X Drive>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration and delete “NetworkInterfaces.plist” and empty the trash.
  15. Shut down your Surface Pro.
  16. UNPLUG YOUR WI-FI USB KEY
  17. Turn on your Surface Pro
  18. Login and open system preferences and click on network.
  19. You should see a new network device called “Ethernet”. If not add it by clicking on the plus and then selecting “Ethernet” as the Interface and click create and apply.
  20. Plug in your USB Wi-Fi key and connect to your Wi-Fi network using the software that came with it.
  21. Done.

This fixed it for me. Hopefully I helped someone else too.

• Like 1

@JahStories:

If you just want to use the SP as a remote DAW MIDI Controller (with TouchOSC and the likes for Android), I've successfully used the free Bluestacks to run Android under Win 8.1 instead of installing a dual boot. Just sayin. Its touch response is really snappy and it's just about perfect for MIDI use. I still prefer Logic Remote on my iPad though.

Oh, and I'm also using the SF2 for pro audio mainly - without any problems at this point. Again, thanks for all the hard work.

(Surfaceosx)

I have decided to reinstall everything since I have done so many changes. I have successful installed before bit man I cannot get it to boot with injected kexts as I get the damn "Bluetooth" error on boot up. I recall this had to do with making sure I did the cp -R commands correctly and I have with all 5 kexts. I can boot into safe mode so wondering if anyone has a quick fix.

@swyner

if you have the kexts and kextdrop on your system in safemode... just drop them. should be the same step as the "cp -R command". Rapair permissions. you should be set.

Perfect. That's what I did. But still have me the error after that. I never had to repair the permissions originally so how do I do that again?

Perfect. That's what I did. But still have me the error after that. I never had to repair the permissions originally so how do I do that again?

If your sys is up in safemode, select "Disk Utillity" in Programs  (in German "Festplattendienstprogramm"...sorry ;) ) - Select your Partition, on the right "First Aid" (the first tab)... then click "repair permission" - sorry my setup is German.

Or: you do it (as suggested) while booting with your thumb-drive to the "Install-OSX"-Window, select the "terminal" an do your "cp -R commands" again.

If your sys is up in safemode, select "Disk Utillity" in Programs (in German "Festplattendienstprogramm"...sorry ;) ) - Select your Partition, on the right "First Aid" (the first tab)... then click "repair permission" - sorry my setup is German.

Or: you do it (as suggested) while booting with your thumb-drive to the "Install-OSX"-Window, select the "terminal" an do your "cp -R commands" again.

I am going to freak!!! Lol. Nothing is working to get past Bluetooth controller missing stupid comment when trying to load without cache and injected kext.

I can safe boot but efiounter won't work so cannot install clover to hard drive efi partition. Did all the permission fixes and installed all the kexts again!!!!!!!!

Edit. Fixed somehow. But now clover is "failing" to install on ssd. I have mounted the efi and all seems ok. Just starts installing and fails half way through.

I am going to freak!!! Lol. Nothing is working to get past Bluetooth controller missing stupid comment when trying to load without cache and injected kext.

I can safe boot but efiounter won't work so cannot install clover to hard drive efi partition. Did all the permission fixes and installed all the kexts again!!!!!!!!

Edit. Fixed somehow. But now clover is "failing" to install on ssd. I have mounted the efi and all seems ok. Just starts installing and fails half way through.

Unmount the EFI partition and try to install clover, it wouldnt let me install clover if the EFI partition was mounted.

Can you post a screen shot of your hard drive info in the system profile?

Question for everyone,

What's the general temperatures you are seeing. Idle, browsing, heavy load?

I'm concerned my surface might be running hot. It general idles around the lower 60c with the fans usually kicking in to about half strength with any sort of app running. Running a more demanding app brings it up to the high 60- low 70c. I noticed in hwmonitor it turns red after hitting 70c and the fans are running at full speed. Should I be worried about that? It does feel pretty hot to the touch. I just ran the new serato video and it was starting to push the surface to its computational/graphical limits. The CPU meter within serato would spike red every 15-30 seconds. I just want to make sure I don't kill the machine prematurely!

these temperatures are preety good...

higher than a computer with the classic formfactor, but good for an intel i5 tablet.

don't worry about your machine, cause there are various systems that prevent massive overheating, the most common is the one that shuts down the hw when the cpu reachs 100°c.

@swiner

probably you are running a not proper GUID partition table....

it's seems that error that happen on hybrid guid mbr.

Greetings... thanks for these guides, they're invaluable.  I've completed a successful install on my SurfacePro1, however I can't get past the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" with Clover upon initial boot to the main drive via Clover boot loader. Sounds like post#1341 experienced the same thing, but rectified it somehow... the question is...how?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. ssprod

Last night I was able to get it to boot and just now by going into clover options at the start up, press space bar. Go to graphic injection press enter then code from 0x0000000 to 0x1660009. Once you key this in hit enter then down to return the return again and then launch osx without cache with injected kexts. Works.

So now that I got in And installed clover to the ssd. That was successful as clover came up without the USB stick in but same problem. Can't boot in at all anymore. Even with changing the graphics injector. I get the Bluetooth transport.

Thanks Swyner... still locking me out with BT Controller, even after I entered the modified code. Don't know if performing a re-install will help, but I'm running out of options. Thanks again. ssprod

Can you get in if you boot with USB drive (volume down to launch clover)? If you get to clover that way that has worked for me. If you can get to your osx somehow (the way above or with safe boot) go to disk utilities and first aid and repair permissions. Shutdown. Then I was able to boot without the pendrive but only once. Now I am getting it again!!!! Then a kernel panic. Something is f'd up. I'm gonna give up soon
  • Like 1