[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

@all

In my opinion, it would be a benefit if we have all the same install media (usb-stick) - would it be a "violation" if somebee (or me) uploads a .iso of the usb installer... would that be helpful ,(legal),necessary??!! - i think it violates the Apple-Eula too much... or...?

@swyner

...keep trying... IT WORKS! (i swear... :yes:  ).

@ssprod

Did you do a "clean" install?

Do your "dsdt/sd... stuff" is "up to date"... like the first post sugests?

How many partitions are on your drive?

How many EFI-Partittons?

Are you able to boot over the thumdrive into your osx-install? 

Start all over, do it as suggested. I am tending to "optimize" those install processes... and allways stuck on stuff, that shows: "Do it like it was suggested" (Example: First i tried to install on the sdxc, nope. Then tried a dual-boot with WIN8.1 untouched... nope. Then i tried it like "suggested"... works.

AND: I can confirm, that the "slow/fast boot" bug, is related to dualboot systems (OSX and WIN8.1) - and the EFI partition(s) (is)are the cause. (Dont know how to fix it in straight way - for now. but i am narrowing things...) - I first want to backup my system before i get into deeper, cause i have "business"software on my WIN8.1-part, and i dont want to beg for new serials again. Tonight is the night. ^_^

• Like 1

caleidosCope... thanks for checkin' in! I did what I suspect is a "clean" install, reformatted the drive but left the Win8 recovery partition alone. Is that ok? I believe I'm using the proper files (v 0.2 files & v 0.3 files). I'm able to complete the installation, however I'm unable to boot post installation via the same USB drive I used for the initial installation. Same error every time---> stuck at "Bluetooth Controller.." Any suggestions?   Thanks again.  ssprod

happy it worked

I don't think it did work. He said he tried that and same issue.

I am only able to boot with the USB used for start up and hit Mac OS and can boot right in. However the graphics are "weird" in that it "stutters" in when the desktop loads.

I copied the EXACT files from the clover folder on USB to the efi on the ssd. So all boot files, kexts, dsdt, config are the exact same.

What pisses me off more is I have already done the install before and it worked. What is different this time is I started with osx and windows dual boot and formatted partition all the same way but left it to 1 partition not 2 (was not going to install windows). All was formatted with GUID and Mac OS journaled. The USB stick installed and got everything setup ok. I even beat the auto shutdown after install and did the cp -R commands in terminal. They did not give me errors.

Frustrating and would 100% agree there needs to be an update to the install files and just include on set of kexts, one config and one dsdt. Whether someone is able to create an "ISO" of sorts or if someone can combine all the v0.2 v0.3 and v0.2.5 files into one.

but have you installed all the kexts with kextdrop then?

i've reformatted my system yesterday using the guide (still dual boot but not with windows but with android), and everything went smooth as always...

but have you installed all the kexts with kextdrop then?

i've reformatted my system yesterday using the guide (still dual boot but not with windows but with android), and everything went smooth as always...

Yup. I did all of them from all the packages.

When you did your reinstall which version of the config, what kexts, which dsdt?

It is so weird. I had my second "full-clean" install, and i can confirm SWYNERS experience. Second install was way different to the first. New problems... that were unexpected.

I read a really cool post, may we have to look in deeper, what happens to the partition-table... look at this... not a "straight forward helper" ... but nice to know, and to check.

Sometimes (and i had that on hackies before...) the install "is not the same" even you did "all the same".

IMHO: It is BEST to wipe the whole disk, dont leave Windows8 on the drive (i was scared too, but if you have the Win8-Install-thumb, and YOUR SERIAL its not a big deal - and have the "restore stick" created by Windows by your side... you are kinda "safe".).

I expierenced that my OSX boot-thumb was somehow corrupted. Couldn’t boot from it anymore. I built it up again - incl. machKernal etc. and then booting worked fine again (from the thumb)... Dunno how i corrupted it but it could be the same issue in your case.

... we all (me too) need to UPDATE THE SYSTEM SPECS. in our profile in this thread... need to know (without thinking) who is Surface1 and who Surface2...

@Swyner: you will edit the config.plist from the last package (v0.3) on your HD, while your going. In my case i was using the Files from v0.2 (one) for the stick. On the install i used the v0.2 (one) files, rebooted, and then istalled the files from v0.2 (two) - rebooted. Then installed the files of v0.3 (but filename is SurfacePro1V.0.2.5!!!) - rebooted. No need for the v0.2 (two) and v0.3 files on the stick...

:euro:

Ladies and gentleman,

i'm proud to say that this guide leaded to the opening of the new tablet's forum subsection (link)

hope it's gonna grow soon!!!, now you can use the microsoft thread to post extra guides how-to's or to simply discuss about your tablets

if you know someone using other osx tablets, please, tell them about this section, let's make it become HUGE :P

thanks as always to everyone is contributing!

• Like 1

for those having issue with the appstore access, the problem can be: a wrong serial number or a wrong set up of nullethernet.

to solve your issues please read this carefully.

LINK to Rehabman nullethernet github

Just go to network and add a ethernet connection, then click accept/apply, you should see that ethernet connection become orange and Self-Assigned written beside it. Let us know if you tried that.

"I tried the nullethernetinjector and nullethernet kext files but the ethernet option doesn't come up on my device for some reason. 

I tried using kext drop and kext utility to install them if that info is necessary."

Hey JS,

Would it not be possible for you guys to include the nullethernet on the installation kext's just like you guys did for sound and others? That might help to reduce the confusion on how to get iCloud to work.

Thanks

for those having issue with the appstore access, the problem can be: a wrong serial number or a wrong set up of nullethernet.

to solve your issues please read this carefully.

LINK to Rehabman nullethernet github

since appstore access is related to serial number generation, and may even need the changing of the MAC address used by nullethernet,

it's not going to work even if provided with the file package.

btw the provided dsdts are already patched for nullethernet.

hope you understand.

P.s.

i've added the link to the rehabman's github on the main guide under "files"

• Appstore access: you need Rehabman's nullethernet, here a LINK (DSDTs are already patched for it)

(surfaceosx)

I'm just curious.  Is there a way to create base images for each model using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or something to that effect?  For "backup purposes" say.  If someone was able to get to the point where OS X was running with the bootloader natively running without a USB key and OS X booting without having to select boot without injected kexts etc...  Could the OS X partition and EFI partition be imaged.  Or possible a raw capture of the entire SSD so that it could be installed via USB?   I assume there are many reasons why this has not happened yet but, I just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.  It would definitely make this process much simpler if it was possible and I would imagine more people would be able to diagnose issues if it everyone was affected by the same symptoms.  Thoughts? 

(surfaceOSX)

Greetings,

After countless hours of effort, a few tears along the way, and thankful advice from the forum members  :)  I have claimed success with a functional SPro 1 Mavericks Installation.

Followed this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/) explicitly. All went well until the USB Installation completed and I attempted to boot to initial setup via USB.

1. Reboot back into Clover (you will need to hold the volume button again)
  2. Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext------> What resulted was a freeze at "Bluetooth Transport Controller Missing" :(   ---  The following steps solved this issue:

Boot via Clover USB--- Options-Graphics Injector-InjectEDID (checked)-FakeID:0x1660009-LoadVideoBios (checked)-Return   //  Proceed to Boot in SAFE mode

(I cannot emphasize these steps enough. I tried every other combination and none broke the freeze at "Bluetooth Controller Missing")

Once your installation takes you to the Mavericks Desktop, re-install the 5xKexts contained in the "SurfacePro" folder, available on the first post of this forum. I was unable to install Clover boot loader to my SSD at this stage ( Safe Mode?). Shutdown and reboot via CloverUSB. This time, booting "without caches and injected kexts" got me to the desktop  :) . Once there, I followed the guide "V0.3 Update Backlight and Sleep", installed Clover to my SSD, and followed steps 5,6,7, of "Install OSX on the SurfacePro". Applied Rehabman's NullEthernet Method (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/page-60?do=findComment&comment=2003512) to get iCloud working. 

And that's the end of the story.. happy face included! Thanks again to all who've contributed invaluable information on this forum!

happy you figured out.

i've added a reference to the guide:

Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext (If you are experiencing problems, try a safe boot with these under graphics: injectededid, loadvbios and as fake id: 0x1660009)

lets keep in mind that this could be needed, but just to boot and then install clover, cause the provided dsdts will inject the correct ig-platform-id which is 1990004 that, in conjuction with the provided patched acpibacklight and appleintelframebuffercapri kexts, enables QE-CI and multi screen support.

thanks

• Like 1

(surfaceosx)

So...  Is it normal for my clover install to show 7 Windows partitions?  I also have 1 clover and 1 OS X partition. It's been this way the whole time. 

Also, when I start clover configurator, I get a message saying "Unexpected disk identifier: disk0s2" and my options are to continue or stop. I press continue and the "SYSTEM' volume mounts however, there is no clover config file.  If I attempt to install cloverEFI onto the OSX partition, suddenly a "Windows RE Tools" partition appears.  I attempted to follow the "bootmgfw-orig.efi" renaming trick but, if clover boots natively, the OSX partition does not appear.  Is this because I have not placed the config file in the proper location?  I am kinda stuck here.  Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.