[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Welcome :D

______________________________________________________________________________________

about the replacing of the wifi module

ahhahah, sorry :P

do you know that the surface pro have the screen attached with glue, and it's the hardest tablet to disassemble?

check iFix it

14lng5s.jpg

And PLUS, the Surfaces do not uses minipci but usb for the wifi module, that is soldered to the mobo.

• Like 1

Welcome :D

______________________________________________________________________________________

about the replacing of the wifi module

ahhahah, sorry :P

do you know that the surface pro have the screen attached with glue, and it's the hardest tablet to disassemble?

check iFix it

14lng5s.jpg

And PLUS, the Surfaces do not uses minipci but usb for the wifi module, that is soldered to the mobo.

yes I know it is the Wifi / Bluetooth module is a Marvell  Avastar 88W8797 

(For SurfacePro2 OSX)

This guide really needs to be updated. I am am experienced osx user and it took me three times to get the install to take. Prepping the drive is good, but the rest needs work. 

First off, for those who want to dual boot windows and mac, there are additional steps you must take BEFORE you install Mac, otherwise clover WILL NOT INSTALL. You also DO NOT have to wipe your windows partition!!

Simply download a partition program in windows, I used Easeus Partition Master. Once it loads, you should see several partitions in there. 

1. Delete all the partitions except for the one labeled EFI and your main windows partition. Apply the change. Now you should see an EFT partition, some unallocated space, and then your windows partition. NOTE!! At this point Clover will still not install, so don't try

2. resize the efi partition to take up all the space before your windows partition. This is one of the most important steps. Apply the change, and reboot (if you dont do this right you will have to run a windows repair from a live windows USB installer.)

3. Assuming all goes well and you are booted back into windows, go into your stock hard drive manager (Right click this pc, then click Manage, then look for disk managment,) Right click your windows partition and shrink it. Format the new space as NTFS, and follow the "to install on the surface pro 2" guide.

4. Once you are installed and you have used the terminal to copy the texts and kernel to where they need to be, reboot back into clover, keep pushing your arrow button until you get to the little options icon at the bottom. NOT CLOVER OPTIONS!! find where it says boot flags and change those to -v -f dart=0 (dart=0 is only on certain versions of the s2, so you may not need it.) Hit enter, return, and boot into your mac for the first time.

5. Once you are in, the only way that it will boot like it is supposed to is to delete all of the kexts that you copied over during the install. Delete those, then reinstall them with the kext utility. My SP2 would not run right at all until I did this!!

6.  Install any extra kexts thru kext utility ONLY!!!!

7. Reboot, do the option things again, only this time use -v Dart=0, should fire right up . Mine boots up in 3 seconds flat and runs like a top!!

8. Install clover to your internal EFI partition if you would like to. This has been discussed in other areas, so I am not going into the specifics, but the important part is that if you did steps 1-3 right, you will be able to install clover and go about your business. 

Hope this helps some poor soul to install OSX on their Surface Pro 2!! 

• Like 2

Hi All,

I have tried to follow the instructions step by step and get to the part of booting up on the USB key and chose USB. Once I got there, the OSX start up and stuck on the apple logo and the spinning ball.

The system at this point are not hang, I can move the mouse (Spinning ball) but not doing anything. I have tried this with several different memory sticks and got the same results.

Hi All,

I have tried to follow the instructions step by step and get to the part of booting up on the USB key and chose USB. Once I got there, the OSX start up and stuck on the apple logo and the spinning ball.

The system at this point are not hang, I can move the mouse (Spinning ball) but not doing anything. I have tried this with several different memory sticks and got the same results.

What boot flags are you using?

5. Once you are in, the only way that it will boot like it is supposed to is to delete all of the kexts that you copied over during the install. Delete those, then reinstall them with the kext utility. My SP2 would not run right at all until I did!!

My install works, but runs very slow. Does this step improve the SSD read speed?

5. Once you are in, the only way that it will boot like it is supposed to is to delete all of the kexts that you copied over during the install. Delete those, then reinstall them with the kext utility. My SP2 would not run right at all until I did!!

My install works, but runs very slow. Does this step improve the SSD read speed?

I would be willing to bet that the reason it is slow is because of a cache error. If you run kext utility do you get a system cache error? It will say something like "Error Timeout 120 seconds." I would try to delete any kexts that you manually put in there as well as any backups that are in your extensions folder, and they reinstall them using the kext utility and see if you get the system cache error again.  

Hi All,

I had the same problem.  Unfortunately not sure why, but for me it was a matter of perseverence.  I was able to boot to the USB successfully about 1 out of every 5 tries.  If you boot to the logo screen and see an arrow pointer instead of the beach ball, it will boot.

Hello, sorry for my bad english

I need help

I have done all the steps in the guide, again and again and i cant get this to work

Every time i get to the step i have to turn off the surface and turn it on with the usb in and pressing volume down, nothing happens and it turns on normally, what do i have to do?

PLEASE HELP ME ;(

Microsoft SurfacePro 2 OS:Windows Cpu:u4300 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:8gb 1333  WiFi:external usb SSD:256gb

UPDATE: I Managed to get to clover but when i select my usb it goes directly to apple logo white screen and spinning circle

haven't seen any code, what do i do?

(surfaceOSX)

Hi! I'm jumping in.. this threads convinced me to get my hands

on a Surface Pro running Mavericks ..plus USB ethernet.

It's not the first Surface i've used, the Surface2 was my try-out.

The Windows RT restriction have been a no-go, plus IE on RT

renders flash (web) differently than the Pro. (no transparency)

And :-) it's not the first Hackintosh either.I was running a 4Core

GameTower with SnowLeopard ..an early day hackintosh.Quite

fast but unstable. I did use a Mod CD of the iAtkos crew :-)

Okay, li'le story of the past. I've learned what "Never change a

running system" means ..now 3 questions for the SurfacePro.

Questions: 1-2-3

How do i backup my installation of Windows 8, beeing on the

internal SSD of the surface pro ..for the later retransfer on the

GUID partition i've then created during the install process?

How much will these Touch drivers for the surface pro cost?

How stable is the surface pro running? Does it crash and will

need often reinstallations? I'm planning to put all emails on

the osxpro, which should work properly and stable.everyday.

(i think i've reinstalled that early hackmac around +10 times.

I really like to run a stable SurfaceMacPro for email work :-))

Thanks/Regards. You guys rock ..and change the market!!!

ps: and the Fruit Company is realy sleeping it's deeeep sleep.

Not having any TouchBooks neither OSXTABs on the market.

I'm typing this on a Fruit TouchPad,no USB,no Mouse.A joke.

1. Do a USB Partition backup of Windows 8.1 using Windows's own backup/restore application - that way no matter what happens to your ssd, you can refresh it back to stock through external usb. I had an 8gb USB lying around which turned out to be a perfect fit - do make sure you keep that USB safe in order for future resale value, common sense, etc.

2. Touchbase Drivers can cost approx 60$ each if you buy as a group of 10 min, otherwise its a pretty hefty above 100$. I would recommend using the trial version till you have a group. See if anyone else is interested in this tread. FYI in the trial version, your volume rockers will work but when you buy the full version it wont, so you will have to control volume from the menubar.

3. For me it runs very stable, I removed windows completely from my partition - booting straight to OSX. Every OSX app ran perfectly so far. I made the colors just as good as on a mac using a custom color profile (the Surface's screen is even brighter than my Macbook Air - which gives a WOW factor), you should find the guide on the tablet/microsoft forum - you will also get to see how to boot directly to OSX and turn on MacStore/iCloud.

PROS:

1. OSX runs Smoothly - no auto restarts/instability. Its also Fast - just as good as a Macbook Air.

2. All OSX Apps work

3. Screen is beautiful, Retina with Touch ability is something else entirely which you will grow to love.

4. Fans do not turn on as much it did on Windows, its more controlled - less noise from the machine.

5. Chrome on OSX is much better than Metro IE/Chrome on Windows 8.1

6. Scrolling is smooth so you wont feel any lag.

CONS

1. Front Cam records over-exposed video but bearable just dont plan on making official video conferences

2. 4GB of Ram is slightly tight for me cause I use PS CS5 continuously and have a few chrome windows open simultaneously. Not the fault of OSX, just felt like nagging about it.

3. Video and Audio on browser just takes 1 or 2 seconds to buffer but its perfect after that initial hiccup. 

4. You will notice the orange light blinking between the Surface Pro's vents, just ignore it, most likely due to its inability to start the Internal Wifi Chip 

5. Ethernet is a really good and simple solution, I went cheap with the wifi micro adapters it started dying in 2 weeks - just ordered a new mid size adapter (TRENDnet TEW-648UB)

Hope that answers a few of your worries....jump in, you wont regret it

• Like 2

Thanks for the SurfacePro "stabelizer", that sound real good. Since i'm a

old-school "hardwired" user, i have no problems using mouse, keyboard

and net via usb. Plain ethernet might be even faster that wlan, also that

fruit ethernet usb adapter of my early hackmac has to have a use again.

From your description, OSX-only (wipe-all) seems to be the way to go. It

might be also plain saver without any bootloader-fanciness which can be

a troublemaker. And why not run WinXP parallel in virtualization ..on OSX.

I'm starting to get over-entusiastic, let's see what it does. I jump in with a

64GB surface pro. I would'nt do so without this thread and the people :-)

And photoshop&co is still a job for the old 8corepro fruit under the table.

Thanks/Regards.

..until later !

(surfaceOSX)

Hi. Out of curiosity i followed some information given

by the USB dumb of the Surface Pro WLan card. It’s

not much but could lead to more answers/progress.

The Product/Vendor ID 0x1286/0x2043 is named:

Marvell Avastar 88W8797

http://www.marvell.com/wireless/avastar/88W8797/

It’s also known in web searches simply as:

Marvell 8797

Surface Pro and Linux:

People talk about SurfacePro+Wlan it in Ubuntu forums:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1165938

In the following Linux commit by the Author: 

Yogesh Ashok Powar <yogeshp@marvell.com>

AuthorDate: Thu Jan 9 19:36:55 2014 -0800 ..it reads:

This adds support for wireless adapters based 

on Marvell Avastar 88W8797 chipset with USB 

interface. (..search at the page for ---help---)

http://o.cs.uvic.ca:20810/perl/cid.pl?cid=68458dede7e0055198318dcb0318df3b4f419507

The full teardown of the Surface Pro by iFixIt shows

that Marvell does its job in other parts of the SP too.

(Marvell Avastar 88W8797 Wireless/Bluetooth/FM 

Radio Controller)

There is a list of Linux OPEN-Source drivers for

wireless network cards. The WiFi Driver for Marvell

88W8797 (USB) can be found. (search 88W8797)

Open Source WLAN Drivers for the Mac. Maybe these 

people can be asked/can be funded for writing drivers

for the Marvell Avastar 88W8797 / Marvell 8797 chips.

Latest linux firmware for the Marvell Avastar 88W8797.

Thanks/Regards

• Like 1

Really, forget about ever getting the builtin Wi-Fi card working. In the nearly 10 years I've been in the OSX86 community, no one, and I really mean NO ONE, has ever successfully created a single 802.11 driver for anything more recent than Panther.

Only one attempt has even partially succeeded... for Intel cards. They never got past WEP support. And that was during the Leopard era. Things have gotten even harder since then.

Blame Apple. With every OS X release they're making OS X more closed, obfuscated, inaccessible....

Really, forget about ever getting the builtin Wi-Fi card working. In the nearly 10 years I've been in the OSX86 community."............

True, good to know. Why not simply gettting the smallest nano USB Wifi

which runs on OSX mavericks and forget about the internal wifi hardware.

Here's a list of WLan devices for OSX which are Mavericks compatible.

http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/08/the-best-usb-wifi-adapters-for-your.html

That nano EDUP Model: EP-N8508 - 802.11b/g/n 150Mbps WLan adapter

looks quite promising to me. http://www.szedup.com/show.aspx?id=1681

Thanks/Regards.

UPDATE:

I have now ordered another model: Wireless N USB Adapter EDUP: EP-N8531.

It has a Ralink 5370 chipset, OSX drivers are available via Ralink/now Mediatek!

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/usb-rt2870rt2770rt3x7xrt537xrt5572/

(it says compatible with 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 on one side, 10.7/10.8 on another)

On the EDUP site there are some infos:

http://www.szedup.com/show.aspx?id=1750

and drivers for OSX: (which are the very same drivers from above)

http://www.szedup.com/showinfo507.aspx

The EP-N8531 Stick seemed working on a Mac 10.6.8 with 64bit Kernel,

BUT did crash it after a while. I started nicely and appeared normal as a

network device. After browsing a while i wanted to do a speed test and

it crashed a never-ever-crashed-mac.I switched off manually+deinstalled.

(i don't know what the conflict is/was ..maybe 64Bit ..maybe 10.6.8 etc)

The software is a "Ralink Wireless Tool" (NIC: 4.2.9.2). All Drivers of the

installation (above) seem to be about a "rt2870resources.pkg" package.

Maybe that works: (for 64bit/Mavericks)

Running "RT2870USBWirelessDriver"on Mavericks, need a workaround:

http://nicodepoel.com/blog/2013/12/22/ralink-usb-wifi-and-mac-os-x-mavericks/

(a good work-thru by Nico de Poel /Utrecht Area, Netherlands, Europe)

Thanks/Regards. (starts to get funky, crashing good hardware. thanks)

(surface2osx)

Hey guys,

Finally decided I would get some internet on my OSX partition, so I went and got an Asus N13 (B1)

I've had a few tries at the NullEthernet install with various guides, but haven't had much success.

After installing the kext & injector kext and following the other steps previous to this, I have no new adaptors available to me when i go to re-add them in the network preferences.

Anyone else have experience or advice with this issue?

(surfaceOSX)

Greetings,

After countless hours of effort, a few tears along the way, and thankful advice from the forum members  :)  I have claimed success with a functional SPro 1 Mavericks Installation.

Followed this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/) explicitly. All went well until the USB Installation completed and I attempted to boot to initial setup via USB.

1. Reboot back into Clover (you will need to hold the volume button again)
  2. Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext------> What resulted was a freeze at "Bluetooth Transport Controller Missing" :(   ---  The following steps solved this issue:

Boot via Clover USB--- Options-Graphics Injector-InjectEDID (checked)-FakeID:0x1660009-LoadVideoBios (checked)-Return   //  Proceed to Boot in SAFE mode

(I cannot emphasize these steps enough. I tried every other combination and none broke the freeze at "Bluetooth Controller Missing")

Once your installation takes you to the Mavericks Desktop, re-install the 5xKexts contained in the "SurfacePro" folder, available on the first post of this forum. I was unable to install Clover boot loader to my SSD at this stage ( Safe Mode?). Shutdown and reboot via CloverUSB. This time, booting "without caches and injected kexts" got me to the desktop  :) . Once there, I followed the guide "V0.3 Update Backlight and Sleep", installed Clover to my SSD, and followed steps 5,6,7, of "Install OSX on the SurfacePro". Applied Rehabman's NullEthernet Method (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/page-60?do=findComment&comment=2003512) to get iCloud working. 

And that's the end of the story.. happy face included! Thanks again to all who've contributed invaluable information on this forum!

I'm running into this same issue on my first gen surface pro. Should i not include the files from the v0.3 + extra files in my CloverUSB drive? It sounds like I should only use v0.2 and the updated tables, boot back into my SSD and then apply the files from v0.3 and extras. is this correct? 

Edit: Did you complete this fresh install with 10.9? or 10.9.2?

Just ordered a refurbished Apple Cinema Display 27" (w/ mini display port, 799$) from Apple Store, I am hoping that our OSX can switch to that screen natively without any extra conversions back and forth. Anyone else tried connecting to a Cinema Display? My main goal is to use my Macbook Air 2012 but it would fantastic to switch between the Air and SP2.

I would recommend getting the refurbished one before it runs out. All future Apple monitors I would presume will be Thunderbolt only.

....Anyone else tried connecting to a Cinema Display? My main goal is to use ....

Hello. I've an Apple Cinema/Studio Display (17 Zoll) ..it's attached to the good old G4 Cube.

I guess it's not working, the ADC port ..joking a bit // Have fun with the Cinema 27" display!

(i'll plan to attach the SurfacePro via display port to an Eizo via DVI, standart ports/no tricks)

When reading your article i ask myself if you plan screen-morroring or screen-extension of

the SurfacePro. Extending works easy/with any resolution, mirroring might be rescaled/to

the SurfacePros max resolution. I do run dual/tripple screens on a MacPro 10.6/7/8/9 since

years and also via Bootcamp on XP/Win8.

If i'd invest heavily in a new big screen, i might go for a sharp 4K :-) ..i bit cost'ly ..4k for 3k.

UPDATE:

The Surface Pro does indeed scale down it's own resolution (on the surface pro screen)

when mirroring to an external Monitor (if it's smaler than HD). That's quite intelligent :-)

The DVI output is crisp (via MiniDisplay Port to DVI via standart Apple cable), that's fine.

• Like 1

(surfacepro osx)

Hi

Firstly a huge thank you to all whom contributed to this guide, it was pretty much the main reason i bought a surface pro last week,

I am now up and running but have a couple issues I am after help with if possible, have searched but cant find a definitive answer.

Firstly, the clover boot. I would like it to boot into Windows after a period of time if left untouched (3 seconds or something) to save me needing to have the keyboard attached - is that possible?

Secondly, do I always need to boot without caches and with injections or once it has done everything can I then just select the icon as is?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Thanks for all the guides so far.  I am happily running maverick on my surface pro.  Now, most of it is working as expected but I still have small problem with clover EFI bootloader.  I'm kinda curious as to how clover EFI works.  Here's the background ....

After I got my OSX working, I decided to get a micro SD card and install some sort of ubuntu flavor.  I was able to install everything and everything works great. (even builtin wifi works! still need to work on dpi)

The problem I have is clover will not detect sd card at boot hence I cannot boot to ubuntu.  However, when I mount clover EFI in OSX and close without any changes to EFI files, next time I boot, clover finds ubuntu no problem and I can boot to linux.  Any idea why this is happening and how I can resolve this?  

For OSX installation, I shrunk windows and have dual boot at the moment.

For linux, I have another EFI partition in SD card which contains grub efi.

If anyone knows how to make clover detect sd card every time, please help me out.

Thanks.

Has anyone  taken the plunge yet and installed today's security update (Security Update 2014-002) via "Software Update..."? Am of course curious whether or not it would break anything. Here's the list of KEXTs the package contains:

applesecurityupdate2014-002s.png

I saw this too, not only do I get that, but im getting a firmware update for a mac air, I highly doubt this work actually install... would it?? That could screw some stuff up haha... Is anyone else getting "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 5.0.4, MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.9.. etc??"

I saw this too, not only do I get that, but im getting a firmware update for a mac air, I highly doubt this work actually install... would it?? That could screw some stuff up haha... Is anyone else getting "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 5.0.4, MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.9.. etc??"

Well, the security update is actually quite important because it fixes a serious vulnerability. Installing any "Firmware" updates on a Hackintosh will most certainly break your installation, they're only meant for the hardware mentioned in the title/file name. RAW compatibility updates only provide support for RAW file formats used in new(ish) digital cameras, those are safe to install but won't provide any new functionality unless you own one of the cameras listed.

So, back to "Security Update 2014-002" – I take it no one's tried to update yet?