[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Renaming the windows efi file was the only way I got it to work as did many. Jah what is your suggestion?

I  just shrank the windows volume and made the new partition. I left the system efi partition intact, the less changed the better.

Here's what i did.

Boot up into osx, run clover config, mount and open the EFI partition for the usb pen drive usually disk1, copy the actual clover folder to the desktop.

Eject the the usb pen drive, again with clover config mount and open the main system EFI partition usually disk 0.

Copy the clover folder from the desktop, place it inside the EFI folder, open the clover folder and copy cloverx64.efi to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot.

In  EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgrfw-orig.efi

In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file cloverx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi

Reboot without the usb pen drive, thats what worked for me.

I'm still having sound issues. Im using the included voodoo audio kext.

On a good boot, I get to the desktop within 10 seconds and everything is stable. Sound works without issue

On a bad boot, it takes closer to 30-45 seconds. Upon reaching the desktop I notice glitching and popping whenever I playback any sound iTunes, YouTube videos ect. Restarting or shutting down takes awhile too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have also tried the newest voodoo audio kext with no improvement. I've reinstalled all included kext in the packages using kext utility.

@swyner

i've wrote that a couple of posts ago look here

@counter5th

i never had this issue, sometimes my surface hang on booting, but no more, i've fixed every audio glitch using the latest voodoohda on 10.9.2 and sound flower, i suggest you to reformat the system again, sorry.

it could even be related to a lot of different things...

ex. different firmware update on the surface, installation method (dual boot or not)...

@swyner

i've wrote that a couple of posts ago look here

Jah. I have successfully installed before as you know but in the "instructions" it says "copy config (and references dsdt etc etc) from attached files". Great there are now 4 separate files/ folders of config, dsdt, kexts, etc. just trying to make sure I don't copy the wrong one and can only assume that if there are duplicates (ie config) then it's the latest one??

And sorry the link you attached was for the first post not one a couple pages back hence my questions above.

Thanks.

@counter5th

I have (had) the same issue. Now installed again - works. Hanging on getting Win8.1 back on.

Before you reinstall: Test this, boot in Safemode use the kextdrop utillity, drop your kext(s) there (again). Reboot without caches and injected kexts.

(In my case it "felt for me" like there were two efi partitions, once booted from efi1, if problems boot from efi2.)

How many efipartitions offers you efi mounter?

@JahStories

do you "dualboot"? or is OSX your "only" system?

On a good boot, I get to the desktop within 10 seconds and everything is stable. Sound works without issue

On a bad boot, it takes closer to 30-45 seconds. Upon reaching the desktop I notice glitching and popping whenever I playback any sound iTunes, YouTube videos ect. Restarting or shutting down takes awhile too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have also tried the newest voodoo audio kext with no improvement. I've reinstalled all included kext in the packages using kext utility.

(surfaceosx)

If you happen to find out a solution to this, it would be very helpful if you could share! 

I've had the same issue on mine, and I also noticed that on bad boots the launchpad app arrangement gets reset to default and the color profile doesn't load by default. I get bad boots with and without voodoohda and have had it across 3 separate OS X installs, but I still can't seem to find anything that affects their frequency or behavior.

I'm currently dual booting with Windows 8.1 and I'm fairly certain it has something to do with my EFI partition. In disk utility it shows 4 partitions - disk0s1 (630mb, no info), disk0s3 (134 mb, Microsoft Reserved), Windows, and OS X. When mounting the efi partition with clover configurator, I get a message saying "Unexpected disk identifier: disk0s2", but it still mounts iff it was a "good" boot.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

@ caleidosCope
I'll start testing tonight. I'm duel booting with win8.1. Disk utility shows 6 partitions in totalpost-354868-13956278995293_thumb.jpg

@ eoveem
I'll post any findings here. I get the same error/warning when I load the edit partition. My intuition is leading me to believe that the efi partition is root of the problem.

update:

i think i resolved my issue.  i deleted partitions 1 and 5 and reinstalled all kext in safe mode.  after rebooting and shutting down multiple times with and without usb devices plugged in, i'm able to get to the desktop within 10 seconds and sound works as it's supposed to.  i verified win8.1 boot as well.  both os' are booting successfully.  i should have deleted those partitions when i originally installed osx.  it might have also been a factor in why i couldn't install clover successfully with the installer app.  i hope this is helpful to others

<surfaceosx>

I cant fix the bootloader. (for dual boot) - It worked on my previous install, now refuses to 'fdisk'...

Hi. Can anybody point me to a way out of this:

(Installed OSX clean, installed Win8.1 on free diskspace, now hanging on getting clover back to dual boot / tried in safemode, also tried terminal from install-usb ...nope)

Now in terminal this happens:

post-1309344-0-49630900-1395655210_thumb.png

... "permission denied"

same with sudo:

post-1309344-0-72670000-1395656289_thumb.png

... "could not open MBR file" / "no such file"

@Counter5th: Cool it works for you... :)

@swyner

i think you did not clicked the link...

@counter5th 

this is why i suggest a clean installation on formatted drive.

@caleidosCope

try to fdisk disk0s1

@jahstories

Yeah, I tried a clean install the first time around but I was still not able to install clover. In fact, it was during this install that I came across the same problem caleidosCope is having with drive permissions.

I've had similar issue. It seems the clover bootloader failed (timed out) to generate a UUID for the system sometimes which took longer to boot and made system kind of unstable. I don't know the root cause of this, only 1/3 or less of boots will failed to generate the system UUID. My work around is to use a fixed system uuid instead of letting clover generate one. Not sure if your problem is the same.

(surfacepro2)

I have a question for everyone in regards to the current state of sleep on our devices (for both pro 1 and 2). I see that on the bugtracker that it says that sleep is fixed, but it seems a bit temperamental on my device. If it sleeps and I wake it up within a couple of minutes, it'll wake up fine and prompts for login. Anything too much longer though, and it seems that the display doesn't turn on when waking (the dongle and rear lights still blink).

Is this issue only on the Surface Pro 2? Or is it just me? I'm curious to see if anyone has sleep working without any issues. 

Thanks in advance!

I've had similar issue. It seems the clover bootloader failed (timed out) to generate a UUID for the system sometimes which took longer to boot and made system kind of unstable. I don't know the root cause of this, only 1/3 or less of boots will failed to generate the system UUID. My work around is to use a fixed system uuid instead of letting clover generate one. Not sure if your problem is the same.

Hmm I'll look into that. How do you generate a static uuid? Ever since I deleted the extra partitions it's been a lot more stable. It did kernel panic a few times on boot with the root cause listed as "boot cache" I then booted with verbose mode which resulted in a successful boot. Repaired permissions and ya back to booting like normal.

Still my boot problem... didn’t need to "fdisk". I followed this thread (Post7).

Short:

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

After you installed windows you should notice that you can only boot windows 8. Thats normal for now.

1. Boot from the OS X Clover usb again. (If you cant boot from usb and it goes to windows automaticly, just reset youre pc, as soon as it shows bios loading, reset it again, and then select usb as boot device)
  2. Select youre os x partition, hit spacebar, and choose with injected kext.
  3. Mount the main EFI with Clover configurator;
  4. Open the main EFI file drive on the desktop, browse to EFI/Clover and copy CLOVERX64.efi  to /EFI/Mircosoft/Boot.
  5. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  6. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  7. Reboot without the Clover USB

Did that. Works... PARTLY. Now clover shows my OSX-Install (boot and shutdown is perfekt!!!) BUT no windows to choose... i know it must be from here "easy-bee" ... but i am BLOCKED.

Anybody? HELP!

WORKS! (did forget the clover-configurator stuff in the picture) :)

Still my boot problem... didn’t need to "fdisk". I followed this thread (Post7).

Short:

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

After you installed windows you should notice that you can only boot windows 8. Thats normal for now.

• Boot from the OS X Clover usb again. (If you cant boot from usb and it goes to windows automaticly, just reset youre pc, as soon as it shows bios loading, reset it again, and then select usb as boot device)
  • Select youre os x partition, hit spacebar, and choose with injected kext.
  • Mount the main EFI with Clover configurator;
  • Open the main EFI file drive on the desktop, browse to EFI/Clover and copy CLOVERX64.efi to /EFI/Mircosoft/Boot.
  • In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  • In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  • Reboot without the Clover USB
Did that. Works... PARTLY. Now clover shows my OSX-Install (boot and shutdown is perfekt!!!) BUT no windows to choose... i know it must be from here "easy-bee" ... but i am BLOCKED.

Anybody? HELP!

You should go back and try the steps again. I followed the same steps to setup my duel boot. Keep at it, you are really close!

I've been testing my surface with serato dj. So far so good. I've played 4 one hour sessions on it without issue. Full touch control to type on the virtual keyboard if I need to look for a song. What's crazy is that serato runs better on the osx side than on the windows side. I get more CPU spikes on windows, especially if I'm using the new pitch n time time stretch pluggin. I'm seriously considering taking this out to a gig. post-354868-13957057223958_thumb.jpg

:whistle: ... now i am SURE ... only MUSICIANS are crazy enough to hackintosh (with this endurance!!!) :yes: - I am from the "other side". Singer, Songwriter. Cant wait to "USE" Garageband and LogicX (... once there was a Logic5 running on Win...)

yes, i'm not a producer, i just do remixes and it's a chiptune monkey island theme mixed with some d&b...

i mostly preefer to remix and play d&b and Old school jungle :D

no more issue with the latests voodoohda on 10.9.2 btw.

@ caleidosCope

You might be in to something. I helped my friend build a hack pro pro tools rig. It was thousands of dollars cheaper and stable as can be.

@ jahstories

We have an awesome music scene up here in Northern California. We used to go out to full moon parties out in the forest. Djs would be thumping DnB, Dub, and electro until sunrise.

(surfaceosx)

This is exactly what I want to use my surface with as well.  I am a Protools user.  I run a label here in Toronto with some friends called obsolete components.  We produce electronic music and I would love to be able to take my sessions (once tracked as audio files) and edit them on the subway/bus.  I also user Serato Itch to DJ from time to time so, it's good to know that this will work with my VCI-300 properly.

I am still trying to get the boot loader to boot without a usb key.  I will try the steps above and update.

Thanks guys!

-s*