[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Still my boot problem... didn’t need to "fdisk". I followed this thread (Post7).

Short:

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

After you installed windows you should notice that you can only boot windows 8. Thats normal for now.

1. Boot from the OS X Clover usb again. (If you cant boot from usb and it goes to windows automaticly, just reset youre pc, as soon as it shows bios loading, reset it again, and then select usb as boot device)
  2. Select youre os x partition, hit spacebar, and choose with injected kext.
  3. Mount the main EFI with Clover configurator;
  4. Open the main EFI file drive on the desktop, browse to EFI/Clover and copy CLOVERX64.efi  to /EFI/Mircosoft/Boot.
  5. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  6. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  7. Reboot without the Clover USB

Did that. Works... PARTLY. Now clover shows my OSX-Install (boot and shutdown is perfekt!!!) BUT no windows to choose... i know it must be from here "easy-bee" ... but i am BLOCKED.

Anybody? HELP!

WORKS! (did forget the clover-configurator stuff in the picture) :)

(surfaceosx)

OK, so, a bit of an update.  What I was able to do is, mount the EFI partiton of the USB key on another system and then copy the EFI folder and all it's containing files to another USB key.  For whatever reason, the Surface Pro 1 will not mount my original USB key while booted in OS 10.9.2.   Funny enough, I have an identical USB key, same make and model that mounts fine.  I then plugged the other USB key into the surface, and mounted the "SYSTEM" partition using Clover Configurator.  I renamed "Boot" folder to "Boot_old" (just to be sure) I then copied the "BOOT" and "CLOVER" folder over to the root directory of the "SYSTEM" folder and then used Clover configurator to customize the config file as caleidosCope described and now I only see the 3 partitions. 

Now I have been looking through this thread and so far cannot find id a anyone figured out if it is possible to boot without having to select "Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts" everytime?

Also, is it normal that my USB boot key would not appear in OS 10.9.2 on the surface?  I checked Disk Utility and it was not their either.

In any case, I am a lot further ahead than I was but, I still feel there is more to go. 

Also, I am still tempted to find a way to image this thing once am done with it.  I work for a company and I have been testing a software call "Miray HDClone" for our server backups,  It says it is able raw clones of hard drives (which infers it does not care what the OS is).  I am wondering if I can get it to a point where everything is working as it should then take a snap shot of the entire HD.  I'm really not sure how realistic this is or not but, I think it would make backing up this system so I would not have to go through this entire process again much, much simpler.

(surfaceosx)

Now I can boot natively (still using "Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts").  I have no sound.  No devices are showing up in the sound preferences.  I installed the trial UPDD Touch-Base trial drivers for the Surface Pro stylus pen but, if I touch the screen with my finger, it still goes to the top left. 

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix these issues?  Also, is there a list of users that I can be added to in order to buy the touch-base drivers as a group?

Any help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I've reinstalled Maverick and the sound error has been vanished. 

However, sound is not working when booting normally. It will become active if I boot using "Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts".

So far, except for sound problem, everything is running smoothly including video /graphic. I installed parallel and windows 8.1 inside parallel (and wifi can be turned on inside parallel).

I installed maverick without formatting the whole drive, leaving windows 8.1 untouched. In order to boot, I still use USB flash disk.

Even though I don't installed clover into SSD, I don't have to press power and volume down everytime I want to boot into OSX.

With USB Flashdisk plug into a USB 3.0 Hub with 4 usb port along with wireless mouse usb reveiver, Surface pro will just boot directly into clover.

So, I still have 2 more bonus USB slots that can be used for USB wifi adapter and other usb peripherals. 

It's just a very cheap usb 3.0 hub (just around USD10 in amazon or ebay, I bought it from local shop in my hometown).

Just using small thumb USB Flashdisk and nano USB wifi adapter, you just can leave it as it is in the USB HUB.

And also, it's easy to replicate usb boot disk into other flashdisk (using restore function in disk utility and then installed a clover efi into back up Flashdisk with identical file content inside EFI folder).

May be this information could help every one who still in doubt installing OSX in Surface Pro without formatting the whole SSD.

@5c4r7

maybe you did not copy the kexts to your System S/L/E Folder. Maybe you did not "repair permissions". Maybe you did not calibrate your Touchdevice (you can chose "touch" and "pen" to calibrate). Maybe you did not use the forums search function, and maybe you did not read the WHOLE THREAD (this is necessary!) --- it is all covered. keep on.

@agunghost

Your sound problem could be related to the "slow/fast boot"-bug. The cause could be: "too many EFIs" (ONE EFI should be enough - Clover). Try something: boot your system until the first "surface" splash. Imidiately shut down. Power up again. Boot osx (straight! no spacebar!!!). Is sound working?. Try it at least 3 times this way. If your sound is OK booted that way, sound problem belongs to EFI-"confusion". Or it is just a confsuin between EFI-HD and EFI-USB. There should be a "WINDOWS EFI" also.

BTW: If you shut down, screen goes black (how long will it take?) ... then touch your type2... is the backgroundlightning still on? How long will it take untill the keyboard lights "really" go off?

"BUGFIXING" gets kinda crazy, if we are talking about "one way to do it", and 1stGuy installs on the SDXC, 2ndGuy installs in a new Partition (Win8 untouched), 3rdGuy wipes the Disk, 4thGuy uses USB-Hub and thumbdrive... / get me?! :)  - its "ALL against 'fruits' nature" - so our steps have to be replicable while we are going...

• Like 1

To everyone:

we are waiting for your contribution with other guides and tip and tricks, open a new thread on tablets!  :idea:

right now there are two new threads, if you are experiencing problems :stretcher:  use them to ask for help:

(surfaceosx)

Get iCloud working

Boot from ssd

thanks to mithamp.

Please:

when you ask for help, Please remember to attach the right badge on the top of your post, one of these:

(surfaceosx) (surface2osx) (surfacewin) (surface2win) (androsurface) (androsurface2)

and update your signature if empty!

you can use this as reference, just change the yellow text with your actual configuration.

Microsoft SurfacePro 1 OS:WindowsAndroid Cpu:u4000 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:4gb 1333  WiFi:external usb SSD:128gb

• Like 1

@ caleidoscope

How many surface splash pages should there be on a properly installed OSX system?

@counter5th

... on my System it is like this: PowerOn - 1st Surface splash - 0.5 Second screen goes black - 2nd Surface splash - black screen - Clover! / OSX, Win8.1 dual-boot - and still working on the "slow/fast boot bug" ... i am just doing my clonezilla backup :) to fool around safely.

@counter5th

... on my System it is like this: PowerOn - 1st Surface splash - 0.5 Second screen goes black - 2nd Surface splash - black screen - Clover! / OSX, Win8.1 dual-boot - and still working on the "slow/fast boot bug" ... i am just doing my clonezilla backup :) to fool around safely.

Ok, it's the same for me. I fixed the boot bug by removing extra partitions that were ahead of the clover efi partition. Now I boot to the desktop in 10 seconds all the time.

(surfaceosx) 

@agunghost

Your sound problem could be related to the "slow/fast boot"-bug. The cause could be: "too many EFIs" (ONE EFI should be enough - Clover). Try something: boot your system until the first "surface" splash. Imidiately shut down. Power up again. Boot osx (straight! no spacebar!!!). Is sound working?. Try it at least 3 times this way. If your sound is OK booted that way, sound problem belongs to EFI-"confusion". Or it is just a confsuin between EFI-HD and EFI-USB. There should be a "WINDOWS EFI" also.

BTW: If you shut down, screen goes black (how long will it take?) ... then touch your type2... is the backgroundlightning still on? How long will it take untill the keyboard lights "really" go off?

Thanks @caleidosCope

I'll try tonight. So far, OSX shutdown time is really very fast.

Sorry for confusing others, I just like to try with other possibilities because I would be in trouble if something went wrong with my Surface. 

I've bought it from overseas and there is no microsoft surface representative in my country.

(surfaceosx) 

Thanks @caleidosCope

I'll try tonight. So far, OSX shutdown time is really very fast.

Sorry for confusing others, I just like to try with other possibilities because I would be in trouble if something went wrong with my Surface. 

I've bought it from overseas and there is no microsoft surface representative in my country.

... and "those guys" wont help you either... i was chatting with a so called representativ. He asked me from where i got my Surface-Win8-serial. As i told him that i had to read it out of the bios, because there were no sticker on the package. He dropped the conversation.

Dont be scared. If you did that Windows-recovery-Thumb, AND you have your serial (READ IT OUT NOW!!! - put it in your safe!), AND a Win8 or Win8.1 install-thumb (google how to "get" and "make" it). You should be 99,9% safe. Earthquakes can lower the quote. :D - Setting back the Surface to "just bought" is really no problem. If you do that, you have to mess around with your "EFI-Bios" and the Secure boot options (remove and renew secure boot "rules?") - Need a backup... try clonezilla, works like a "windows-charme".

(surfaceosx)

I have managed to install OS X thankfully. However bluetooth is not working. I have an Apple wireless keyboard I need to use. Am I missing something?

(surface2osx)

@hejay

sleep should work without problems

Thanks for the reply, JahStories!

On my unit (surface2osx), it does what was reported by another member a while back--where it goes to sleep, but if you wait longer than a few seconds, it won't wake up (black screen). If you wake it back up right after you put it to sleep, it wakes fine, however. It's really interesting because if I take out my wifi dongle, it'll go to sleep but then keep waking up every 30 seconds or so. I've been trying to get to the bottom of it, reinstalling, testing with different flags, and dsdt edits, but haven't made any breakthroughs yet. I was interested to see if anyone with a sp2 had fully working sleep beyond a few minutes.

Hello everyone!

I have a little problem.

I have installed Mac 10.8 on my SURFACE PRO, it's OK but now I want to return to Windows.

I try to download a Windows 8.1 and do a USB BOOTEABLE but it don't boot from USB, the Surface "check" the USB but when I press "enter" the Surface don't boot..

I don't know what can I do... any idea?

internal wifi & bluetooth still do not work, you need to use external usb wifi or bt.

Someone should update the first post because nothing is mentioned there about bluetooth. :ph34r:

surfaceosx

i have a question i did get mavericks os x installed however i cant use the touch screen, was mavericks install incorrectly? the mouse pointer is always stuck in the top left corner for some reason. any replies would help thanks 

You need to install drivers. Check first post.

-spooky.here- :)

(surfaceosx)

Problem: While booting into OSX (on a dual install with Win8) sometimes is "fast" (good-boot) and sometimes is "slow" (bad-boot; no sound, corrupted UUID in systemprofiler... like: 00000000-0000-123456...)

Solution:

At first i thought (and maybe it still is...) it is about multiple-EFI-partitions, confusing Clover. If you install Win8 after OSX, a "Microsoft-Reserved-Partition; size:128MB" is created (beneath the Win8-Install-Partition). In this partition is the EFI for Windows (we dont need it because we have clover), and stuff for the Bitlocker funktionality. Dont erase this partition! (Why? You may need it for Win8...later, and "Its tiny!!!", and it should make no trouble).

Some solved the "slow/fast-boot-problem" with erasing this Microsoft-Reserved-Partition. Anyway...i would not recommend...

Try this:

Use CloverConfigurator, to mount your EFI, and to edit the config.plist.

Goto System Parameters and insert your UUID (you'll see it if you are in clover (bootscreen)... mark the OSX-partition and press space)

...this will inject the UUID. the UUID shown in the Systemprofiler is a different one (calculated from the "real-UUID"...)

Now, (my mistake) DONT select "Inject System ID". (save.)

Repair Permission.

DONE.

@xpr0o

...wipe your disk (booting with the stick into OSX-install, use disktool). OR: Use the "emergency-stick" you made with Win8.1 - it should boot straight into it. (press the volume-down button while booting from the sticks)

@axaios

this is a common hackintosh problem. I think there is NO hack-tablet nor a hack-laptop in this world with BT OOB. Correct me if i am wrong... at least "lotto-rare".

@allReading

this is a cool little machine...not just a Mac...it’s a surfaXe!!! AND "You cant have everything!" ... but for me so far its the "Eierlegendewollmilchsau" (kinda_german) :yes::):lol:

• Like 1

@JahStories

Thank YOU!!! ... i will correct the bug in the bug-file.

... i wont. this bug is not the same. my bug was rare... so keep it in here.

Edited by caleidosCope

so, re-reading the entire thread still did not help me.   The issue was that Disk Utility took a several attempts to repair all permissions for some reason.  Now I can boot natively, with audio, and low and behold, I can run ProTools 8 without hardware in Mavericks! :)

Good morning. 

I am delighted to be among you. 

I have a question about the wifii on tabette surface .. 

Why you did not think to change the module wifii integrated by a module compatible osx? (As is done with alienware m11x r1