Mac OS X 10.4.8

calmesal

468 posts in this topic

An specific installation guide with all the sugesstions AND HOW TOs, would be excellent, im loking forward for a kiko 10.4.8 upgrade with cyclone fr method to have all the new kexts and QE and CI enabled, but really i can't understand how exactly the procedure is.

If someone make a clear guide i will apreciate.

Ok got it working after a bit of hacking. The new parallel's hypervisor kext breaks with 10.4.8. So remove that.

AFP/HTTPD services are broken.

Fix for AFP: Relink AppleShareServer in /usr/sbin properly. It is missing the starting '/'.

Fix for HTTPD: repair permissions.

Fix for potential boot stall: Remove hypervisor.kext

Fix for garbage screen: replace OpenGL.framework with the 10.4.7 one

Hope this helps anyone having issues. Also consider booting with -s and executing /etc/rc to get a verbose output on where its locking up or breaking.

Has anyone got the new OpenGL.framework working by any chance?

Overall - terrible release.

-Victor

So does this update work or not?
I'm happy with JaS 10.4.7 - and I'll stay with it.

10.4.8 isn't going to do much more for me that 10.4.7 isn't doing already. Virtually everything works. :)

10.5 is just around the corner, so IMHO thats where the focus should be....... :)

Ok got it working after a bit of hacking. The new parallel's hypervisor kext breaks with 10.4.8. So remove that.

AFP/HTTPD services are broken.

Fix for AFP: Relink AppleShareServer in /usr/sbin properly. It is missing the starting '/'.

Fix for HTTPD: repair permissions.

Fix for potential boot stall: Remove hypervisor.kext

Fix for garbage screen: replace OpenGL.framework with the 10.4.7 one

Hope this helps anyone having issues. Also consider booting with -s and executing /etc/rc to get a verbose output on where its locking up or breaking.

Has anyone got the new OpenGL.framework working by any chance?

Overall - terrible release.

-Victor

Ya man, show alittle respect, these guys do this for free and they dont have to do any of this.

Just give it some time and it will be sorted out.

Jas did all the preliminary work, kiko just packaged it. I had a slight hand in this by helping JaS get memberd working properly. So I know what this takes to get going. Obviously full credit goes to JaS figuring out what needed to be removed to get it to boot properly. Also there is a ton of miss information on this subject at the moment. I am seeing people state the kiko patch is fake, that 10.4.8 does not use /etc/rc.... just completely bogus {censored}. I am just hear to give it to you *directly*.

Ya I can be ungrateful all I want, I am not going to sugar coat a turd. Majority of the people will just install this and obviously "break" their computer. Basically I am doing the people a favor by telling them to steer clear of this.

-Victor

Jas did all the preliminary work, kiko just packaged it. I had a slight hand in this by helping JaS get memberd working properly. So I know what this takes to get going. Obviously full credit goes to JaS figuring out what needed to be removed to get it to boot properly. Also there is a ton of miss information on this subject at the moment. I am seeing people state the kiko patch is fake, that 10.4.8 does not use /etc/rc.... just completely bogus {censored}. I am just hear to give it to you *directly*.

Ya I can be ungrateful all I want, I am not going to sugar coat a turd. Majority of the people will just install this and obviously "break" their computer. Basically I am doing the people a favor by telling them to steer clear of this.

-Victor

Dude, how hard is it for you to say "thanks''? Because of people like you is that some others don't feel like staying any longer. I don't condone people bitching about what Kiko, JaS or anyone else did but neither I think anyone appreciates you saying "I can be ungrateful all I want". Calm down bro...

Well this thread appears to be going from bad to worse.. any further personal comments will lead to its being closed.

It appears that the patched release has major issues and attempts to rectify this can only be useful.

[edit] I have just deleted one such comment. final warning.

i'm sorry to say, i've been indulging in some great weekend activities. ;)

i just tried out kiko patched upgrade.

booted to blue screen, no mouse or loginwindow. exchanged the frameworks he said he'd left in (the only one that should have been a problem for me was the OpenGL.framework), still the same problem.

replaced the ENTIRE Frameworks directory with a 10.4.7 Frameworks, and now seems to be working fine.

will be looking around, at the Frameworks to find out which one/ones were breaking it for me. cause a update without new Frameworks is like a day without sunshine. i'll report back, if i have anything new to contribute. :)

so, anyways, it's in the Frameworks.

i do not have SSE3. anyone with complete kiko success without SSE3?

bbiab shopping

in a nutshell, one or more of the 10.4.8 Frameworks needs SSE3 for something. there aren't so many. start with 4.7 Frameworks, test the likely suspects. i know i'm going to, if i can ever leave this keyboard long enough to get food. bbiab

Make sure to remove all third party kexts, there are two installed from parallels. hypervisor and pvsnet something. 

What works for me currently - is to boot into single user, execute /etc/rc and then exit to UI. Everything seems to work from there on. 

Hope this helps. I am on a SSE3/prescott system.

Also move up kextload r2d2.kext line after the safeboot if statement. That enabled me to boot into multiuser properly from a normal boot (non-verbose). I am guessing it loaded the kext to late and it started executing encrypted binaries before it had a chance the load the tpm emulator.

Oh and one last thing, parallels 1848 seems to work fine. Audio works in this old version. Everything after 1848 - audio has been broken. However you will need the pdtweaker hack to stop parallels from whoring your ram.

-Victor

Guest goodtime
now r2d2 is stuck in an infinite loop. decrypting and decrypting and decrypting ... over and over ...

its almost /reinstall time ;)

TSUN,

I ran into the exact same problem after trying to replace the AFPDEFINE.framework. R2D2, the droid has gone haywire. Infinite loop.

Since AppleShareIP (AFP) is not working. I am @ reinstall time myself. Going back to 10.4.6/10.4.7.

Nothing against Kiko for his hard work. I appreciate all Kiko has done getting 10.4.8 released. JaS, I really hope you can get with Kiko and release a final 10.4.8.

I'll revisit 10.4.8 at a later date. Luckily! Aperture can run on 10.4.7 with the [k] on Demonoid. I am not too concerned at the moment.

Side note: I am running Camino on my 10.4.6 laptop. The Cursor is really hyper tonight.

GT

This is great!

So much work to be done and new learning exp. This update has its problems, but it is a great learning exp for anyone willing to help out. Just a warning i would like to thow out there.

If you are going to update this on a computer you have alot of important info on, make sure to BACK IT UP.

im reinstalling my system and will being helping when i get home from work. good luck all.

TSUN,

I ran into the exact same problem after trying to replace the AFPDEFINE.framework. R2D2, the droid has gone haywire. Infinite loop.

Since AppleShareIP (AFP) is not working. I am @ reinstall time myself. Going back to 10.4.6/10.4.7.

Nothing against Kiko for his hard work. I appreciate all Kiko has done getting 10.4.8 released. JaS, I really hope you can get with Kiko and release a final 10.4.8.

I'll revisit 10.4.8 at a later date. Luckily! Aperture can run on 10.4.7 with the [k] on Demonoid. I am not too concerned at the moment.

Side note: I am running Camino on my 10.4.6 laptop. The Cursor is really hyper tonight.

GT

yah mine happened after i removed the opengl.framework .. it seems that alot of the problems are stemming from the frameworks. ;)

i dont have access to my comp atm, so it will be a while till i can look at them. apperently most people that are having success are just using the 10.4.7 frameworks. this is pretty good movement forward since the update was really only 2days old. lets just take it in stride and really get this stuff working.

Guest goodtime

Victor,

Can you explain in more detail how to fix AFP / Relink AppleShareServer?

This is great!

So much work to be done and new learning exp. This update has its problems, but it is a great learning exp for anyone willing to help out. Just a warning i would like to thow out there.

If you are going to update this on a computer you have alot of important info on, make sure to BACK IT UP.

im reinstalling my system and will being helping when i get home from work. good luck all.

yah mine happened after i removed the opengl.framework .. it seems that alot of the problems are stemming from the frameworks. ;)

i dont have access to my comp atm, so it will be a while till i can look at them. apperently most people that are having success are just using the 10.4.7 frameworks. this is pretty good movement forward since the update was really only 2days old. lets just take it in stride and really get this stuff working.

I agree that this is a great new learning experience for hackintosh users. I can't tell you how many times I hosed my CompaqX1000 working on 2D Acceleration by mixing and matching.

Hope all the bugs are compiled and a new release will follow.

Keep up the great work to all, including those of us who were willing to mess up their system for the sake of learning. And to those like JaS, Kiko and Quixos and many other who gave up their entire weekend hacking away on this release. Apple, eat your heart out!

Cheers,

GT