Mac OS X 10.4.8

calmesal

468 posts in this topic

Sure, that instalation worked until one or two updates ago, also, in native mode is working.

macgirl are you saying you are running two versions, one native and one virtual from vmware.

or are you running the same version physical native and physical from vmware.

In either case, usually nat networking is preferable to bridge (but i used bridge with no problem).

also I cannot run physical anymore from vmware because of video drivers (ati vs. vmware display)...

but i can access the physical partition from a virtual one, which comes in handy for backup...

I found macdrive problematic because windows wants to use system restore on the macos drive and does not want to give you the option to switch it off on macos, so after a while corrupts the drive... so has to be kept hidden...

good luck

just finished reading through this long thread, end it up with questions :

- is there anyone have a working qe/ci on radeon 9550 with callisto b008+agpgart installed after upgrading to 10.4.8 ? which version of 10.4.8 did you installed ?

- can someone summarize the complete lists of files I should backup up before install 10.4.8 ? I'm on JaS 10.4.7 right now

thanks a lot

I'm looking into to try OSX 10.4.8 again on my laptop. But is it really worth the hassle?

I'm on a Acer 5672 Laptop with:

Intel 945PM Express chipset

ATi X1400

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Broadcom 54xx chipset Gigabit ethernet

My main concern is the video card, to get that work.

There are no hacks or drivers for either of those devices in any version of OSX. The video will work, just not to its fullest capability and the wireless won't work at all.

If only i can get the resolution to work (1280x800) and some other device to run to get wireless working. (I got a Linksys WPC54G wireless network card (I believe that's a broadcom chipset). But i thought my Texas Instruments PCMCIA slots are not supported also.

If only i can get the resolution to work (1280x800) and some other device to run to get wireless working. (I got a Linksys WPC54G wireless network card (I believe that's a broadcom chipset). But i thought my Texas Instruments PCMCIA slots are not supported also.

I'm afraid you won't get widescreen support (1280x800) for your x1400.

You will need to find the vendor id and device id of your PCMCIA controller and Broadcom card in Windows. Go to Device Manager, find the device, get Properties. Click on the Details tab. The vendor id is the 4 characters after VEN and the device id is the 4 characters after the DEV.

Texas Instruments PCMCIA slot drivers:

If your vendor id=104c and device id=8039:

If your vendor id=104c and device id=8031:

Broadcom Wireless: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684 except there is a typo. Edit this file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Use Pacifist to install SPPlatformReporter.SPrepoter folder from the 10.4.6 install DVD over the 10.4.8 updated folder and you will get your Profiler back.

Are you sure? After doing so, my System Profile became blank. Even after I reapplied JaS 10.4.8 SEE2 update, nothing changed and couldn't restore what it was.

post-31635-1161334106_thumb.jpg

I think I've taken too many risks...

Updating directly form 10.4.3 to 10.4.8 with Intel SS2 Combo Update the installation finished with errors

After two reboots (tha last with -v -f -s), Darwin boot stops at

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: IC4 ATA/100 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0xf008)

Are you sure? After doing so, my System Profile became blank. Even after I reapplied JaS 10.4.8 SEE2 update, nothing changed and couldn't restore what it was.

Yes it worked just fine for me, also installed the 10.4.7 with Pacifist and that worked too. Make sure you repair permissions after the install.

Yes it worked just fine for me, also installed the 10.4.7 with Pacifist and that worked too. Make sure you repair permissions after the install.

Bruce,

It worked for me (SSE3 though), too. Well, bring that folder from WORKING SYSTEM(hacintosh) or install DVD(hacked).

That is the key.

Then,

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

repair permissions...

For those people who warry about STOP after update working system, have another installed Harddisk to try.

Or make another partition to try.

Everything on hacintosh is endless adventure (for fun) I guess.

Good luck. :censored2:

Bruce,

It worked for me (SSE3 though), too. Well, bring that folder from WORKING SYSTEM(hacintosh) or install DVD(hacked).

That is the key.

Then,

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

repair permissions...

For those people who warry about STOP after update working system, have another installed Harddisk to try.

Or make another partition to try.

Everything on hacintosh is endless adventure (for fun) I guess.

Good luck. :D

Thanks both of you for the reply.

I have tried SPPlatformReporter from 10.4.5 DVD, 3 different versions of 10.4.6 DVD and 10.4.7 update patch but all in vain, no matter I repaired permission from Disk Utility, Terminal or install DVD. It just remained blank. After I placed my problem in below thread, Colonels provided me a patch to replace entire SystemProfiler folder. Guess what? It worked well. Thanks to him now my 10.4.8 works 100% again.

Thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30583

P.S. A "Fix" is also provided for 0 MHz Unknown issue in above thread.

Bruce

post-31635-1161653466_thumb.jpg

I have another problem with my JaS 10.4.8

I installed from 10.4.7 via the 10.4.8 combo update but now i can't connect to PC via SMB. Everytime I get an error message where is written "unknown error: -50".

What's wrong now? What can I do to get my SMB working again. I use the Asus P5LD2 Deluxe with a Marvell 88E8053 PCI Express Gigabit LAN controller (supports AI Net 2).

The second bug is that iPhoto doesn't recognize my Kodak camera. Even the app Digital Images doesn't work anymore.

Have anybody an idea or a solution or just some links for me. Thanks in advance....

I have another problem with my JaS 10.4.8

I installed from 10.4.7 via the 10.4.8 combo update but now i can't connect to PC via SMB. Everytime I get an error message where is written "unknown error: -50".

What's wrong now? What can I do to get my SMB working again. I use the Asus P5LD2 Deluxe with a Marvell 88E8053 PCI Express Gigabit LAN controller (supports AI Net 2).

The second bug is that iPhoto doesn't recognize my Kodak camera. Even the app Digital Images doesn't work anymore.

Have anybody an idea or a solution or just some links for me. Thanks in advance....

are you on an SSE2 machine? or SSE3? There are several frameworks that some people had to replace from an old install to take care of some problems after the update. Not sure if they were excluded from the 10.4.8 update or not. search for '10.4.8' excluded frameworks, or 10.4.8 SSE2 (if your machine is SSE2) there is a thread just about 10.4.8 probs on SSE2. IOKit.framework and several others, I'm pretty sure I've read about a fix for the SMB problem, can't think of where though.

Good luck!

-Toddicus

are you on an SSE2 machine? or SSE3? There are several frameworks that some people had to replace from an old install to take care of some problems after the update. Not sure if they were excluded from the 10.4.8 update or not. search for '10.4.8' excluded frameworks, or 10.4.8 SSE2 (if your machine is SSE2) there is a thread just about 10.4.8 probs on SSE2. IOKit.framework and several others, I'm pretty sure I've read about a fix for the SMB problem, can't think of where though.

Good luck!

-Toddicus

It's a Pentium 4 630 with 3Ghz (SSE3).

I had problems through uograding to 10.4.8 while booting and there where some issues with 'AppleYUKON' (think that's my Ethernet). I had to do the R2D2 patch to work again. Also the IOkit where replaced, because I have changed my Nvidia for an ATI x1600pro.

The 10.4.7 MPIP patch for samba were done ...but nothing was changed. Bug still exists.

I will do a search again....maybe I will find something. Meanwhile I download the 10.4.8 DVD from JaS to do a clean install with the new Kernel. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have error on instalation process. launchd: Bug: launchd.c: 1990:17: ioctl)s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1 ;) Did some solved this problem? My configuration:

CPU AMD 3200+ (Venice)

HDD: WD2500JB

Video: Asus 6800GT 256 MB

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

I have download this file MacOSX...AMD_SSE3_TEST_1, unrar and burned iso.