HELP TOPIC - for help in OS X Yosemite (10.10) and below

Deltac0

2,805 posts in this topic

I already have a good dsdt with me but I am currently not using it. Should I put it into /E and then change my chameleon.boot.plist and try?

Ok, I tried some post installation and things went downhill :(

1. I replaced the RealTek kext from lnx2mac

2. I put in the modified ATI6000.kext

3. I added dsdt.aml to my /E folder and edited my chameleon boot plist.

When I booted I am not stuck at (screen attached)

@clemj06, @ptp, @spakk

What should I do for post-installation?

@theconnactic

I cannot seem to find a evoreboot for lion? :(

post-1149290-0-47345700-1366528215_thumb.jpg

Ok, things went from bad to worse to worst. My raw disk refused to boot from VB due to some KP (AppleAPCIP seemed to be the culprit)

So I decided to redo things - used my Lion VB image to restore onto my HDD raw disk. Now all is well and I am able to boot into the Lion partition.

The resolution is wonderfully nice - I am getting a full 1080p screen (the reason I state this is because when I replaced my own ATI6000 kext the resolution dropped to 102xx768, so I dont know why that is).

Now I am not going to do anything on this partition until you guys can guide me

1. The first thing I need is to get internet/network working. To this effect I tried installing lnx2mac's pkg (http://lnx2mac.blogs...osx-driver.html). It installed fine but it did not fix any problems

2. Need to get shutdown/restart fixed - both now end with KP

Audio/Video can wait for now.

So please help me out with these. I have also not put in my dsdt, I did make a proper dsdt and applied 4 patches onto it - ehci, shutdown,smbus and rtc. Can I go ahead and use this?

Please do let me know.

UPDATE

Unable to contain my curiousity I went ahead and put in the dsdt into /E (as theconnactic said I did not touch my chameleon boot plist) but restart immediately went into KP. Internet still does not work :(

Ok, things went from bad to worse to worst. My raw disk refused to boot from VB due to some KP (AppleAPCIP seemed to be the culprit)

So I decided to redo things - used my Lion VB image to restore onto my HDD raw disk. Now all is well and I am able to boot into the Lion partition.

The resolution is wonderfully nice - I am getting a full 1080p screen (the reason I state this is because when I replaced my own ATI6000 kext the resolution dropped to 102xx768, so I dont know why that is).

Now I am not going to do anything on this partition until you guys can guide me

1. The first thing I need is to get internet/network working. To this effect I tried installing lnx2mac's pkg (http://lnx2mac.blogs...osx-driver.html). It installed fine but it did not fix any problems

2. Need to get shutdown/restart fixed - both now end with KP

Audio/Video can wait for now.

So please help me out with these. I have also not put in my dsdt, I did make a proper dsdt and applied 4 patches onto it - ehci, shutdown,smbus and rtc. Can I go ahead and use this?

Please do let me know.

UPDATE

Unable to contain my curiousity I went ahead and put in the dsdt into /E (as theconnactic said I did not touch my chameleon boot plist) but restart immediately went into KP. Internet still does not work :(

Please run after each driver install etc....----> KextUtility or kext wizard!

only then restart the system and check if the new driver is OK. Always only one driver after another install and check!!!

you now start their system in single user mode

-s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

than give: reboot or exit

I hope it will help them further

By driver install you mean the running of a pkg or copying a kext into /S/L/E right?

I need to know if there are other kexts that I have to try for my network/internet & shutdown/restart

Where do I run those commands you have give?

I think I can put -s while I boot into lion. What are the others for and is it in a terminal after I boot?

@cannon_dt

Glad to hear that it works finally.

Basically, vdi or VM are more likely a regular file; create, update, delete and backup.

For VB, keep one good working copy of OSX VB safely, then you can do whatever you want aggressively, without any USB or external media.

From now on, you can get help from wonderful mac experts here. Good luck.

For ML install, I will try to figure out what is the problem And, let you know.

EDIT:

Please avoid the double mount of a partition (linux system and VB). It may corrupt a partition.

@cannon_dt

Glad to hear that it works finally.

Basically, vdi or VM are more likely a regular file; create, update, delete and backup.

For VB, keep one good working copy of OSX VB safely, then you can do whatever you want aggressively, without any USB or external media.

From now on, you can get help from wonderful mac experts here. Good luck.

For ML install, I will try to figure out what is the problem And, let you know.

EDIT:

Please avoid the double mount of a partition (linux system and VB). It may corrupt a partition.

Thanks for all your help in getting me this far :)

I have made a back up of the lion install sata disk, I guess that is all I need for me to get Lion back on my hdd (I already used it once to restore!!)

Anything else you think I need to take a back up of (I guess I can make a back up of my SL in VB)

Please let me know about ML when you get a chance.

What is a double mount?

Thanks for all your help in getting me this far :)

I have made a back up of the lion install sata disk, I guess that is all I need for me to get Lion back on my hdd (I already used it once to restore!!)

Anything else you think I need to take a back up of (I guess I can make a back up of my SL in VB)

Please let me know about ML when you get a chance.

What is a double mount?

You could use a LION as your base osx system instead of SL.

The procedure is simple; make a new vdi, restore from existing Lion vdi to a new vdi, make a new vdi disk bootable (you need to put boot0 into MBR sector),

remove SL vdi, make new lion vdi be the first disk through VB setting. You can do this after you are comfotable with VB and boot handling.

Double mounting means you could mount your osx partition to your linux system through "mount" command or /etc/fstab.

Later, if you start VM with that partition, you have double mounted partition. "df" in terminal gives the information about mounted devices.

@spakk

I ran the realtek pkg again so that I can run kext wizard. I get a KP right while running the kext wizard, you can see the real tek install window and the kext wizard window

What do I do about these KP? I also got one after I installed VLC to check sound which is non-existent. I think video is ok but audio is not there.

Can you please help me out with these things?

I really need help with post-installation

I tried twice but I am getting the exact same KP every time (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) :help:

You could use a LION as your base osx system instead of SL.

The procedure is simple; make a new vdi, restore from existing Lion vdi to a new vdi, make a new vdi disk bootable (you need to put boot0 into MBR sector),

remove SL vdi, make new lion vdi be the first disk through VB setting. You can do this after you are comfotable with VB and boot handling.

Double mounting means you could mount your osx partition to your linux system through "mount" command or /etc/fstab.

Later, if you start VM with that partition, you have double mounted partition. "df" in terminal gives the information about mounted devices.

I will try this out later - seems simple but I am sure I will have tons of questions :D

post-1149290-0-54889900-1366556959_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

I have made more progress.

Given that it was AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement that was in the KP, I picked up both those kexts from spakk and replaced them in my partition. Once I did this I was able to run kext wizard and this time there was no KP. Another positive thing to report is that shutdown worked fine without KP, however restart did not end gracefully - I had to manually reboot the system.

Another good thing is that USB works fine.

But the biggest problem is internet - my realtek kext is just not working, I really need to fix this.

I was also able to play video using vlc. Its audio that is not working.

So I got to fix my internet/ethernet and audio. So please do pass on your suggestions.

Peace

MORE UPDATES:

More experiments with more failures

1. After some research it looked like IONetworkingFamily could be an issue - so I picked up one from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280822-solved-os-x-1074-broke-my-realtek-rtl8168c-ethernet. As per the instructions there I tried it without realtek kext but still my internet did not work.

2. When I tried to use spakk's IONetworkingFamily kext it failed to boot stating errors in that kext and realtek kext.

So I got no progress on my network issues

As for audio I used spakk's AppleHDA, AppleHDADisabler and Voodooo kext but that did not help. What I noticed was that when I tried to access sound via system preferences everything was disabled, it was muted and disabled - I could not change anything.

Please help me fix my network and audio issues :help:

It looks like DHCP problem.

Try clicking the 'Renew DHCP Lease' button under System Preferecnecs/Network/Show:Built-in Ethernet/TCP/IP

and give it under DHCP the following numbers 255.255.255.0

when it does not work, then you should use the realtek kext with right click open content / info.plist with Text Editor and check the vendor / device ID with the details of your Hardware from SystemInfo tool and modify accordingly the info.plist

One more thing I tried:

Followed instructions on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281796-trying-to-get-ethernet-working/#entry1844607 by restoring my original IONetworkingFamily and then installing lnx2mac's realtek kext followed by an addition to chameleon boot plist of "EthernetBuiltIn" - still it is not working.

I give up and will wait for you guys to help me fix my network and audio :(

One more thing I tried:

Followed instructions on http://www.insanelym...g/#entry1844607 by restoring my original IONetworkingFamily and then installing lnx2mac's realtek kext followed by an addition to chameleon boot plist of "EthernetBuiltIn" - still it is not working.

I give up and will wait for you guys to help me fix my network and audio :(

EthernetBuiltIn

Yes

give me your Vendor-ID and Device-ID

Edited by spakk

Vendor ID - 10ec

Device ID = 8168

the universal install driver should work with your Ethernet card see here:

\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext\Contents

EEE

IOClass

AppleRTL8169Ethernet

IOPCIClassMatch

0x02000000&0xffff0000

IOPCIPrimaryMatch

0x816810ec

IOProviderClass

IOPCIDevice

IOUserClientClass

RTLNICClient

OSBundleAllowUserLoad

true

the universal install driver should work with your Ethernet card see here:

\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext\Contents

<key>EEE</key>

<false/>

</dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleRTL8169Ethernet</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x02000000&0xffff0000</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x816810ec</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOUserClientClass</key>

<string>RTLNICClient</string>

<key>OSBundleAllowUserLoad</key>

<string>true</string>

Does that mean I should not use the lnx2mac's driver? What steps should I do now?

I think it could be another cause

does the ethernet card work under lion?

remove the universal driver from S / L / E and run KextUtility, then rebooting the system

Its lion I am trying in.

Actually I just saw that there is no AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext\ under \IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\

yes, I have not used the driver, only the universal driver worked for me

When you say universal driver which kext are you referring to - IONetworkingFamily? Also what about the Real tek kext I got from lnx2mac?

Also reboot does not work correctly for me - I have to manually reboot everytime I try a restart, only shut down works.

Also I run kext wizard and not kext utility - that is ok right?

When you say universal driver which kext are you referring to - IONetworkingFamily? Also what about the Real tek kext I got from lnx2mac?

Also reboot does not work correctly for me - I have to manually reboot everytime I try a restart, only shut down works.

Also I run kext wizard and not kext utility - that is ok right?

it does not matter whether or you take kext utility or kext wizard, important that the right to be repaired and it created an new Extensions.mkext