HELP TOPIC - for help in OS X Yosemite (10.10) and below

Deltac0

2,805 posts in this topic

Oh ok I get it.

I live in India and it is 12:30 AM. So my visual functions are depleting by the minute. I will follow the above tomorrow and let you know.

Meanwhile you can put in more instructions for me to follow (if you dont mind) and I can follow them too (save some lead time!). Else if you want me to follow one set of instructions at a time, I am fine with that too.

Let me know what works for you.

I will get to this tomorrow without fail :)

Thanks for helping me out, hope I can get it to work this time. It has been 4 weeks of no results :(

Peace

Oh ok I get it.

I live in India and it is 12:30 AM. So my visual functions are depleting by the minute. I will follow the above tomorrow and let you know.

Meanwhile you can put in more instructions for me to follow (if you dont mind) and I can follow them too (save some lead time!). Else if you want me to follow one set of instructions at a time, I am fine with that too.

Let me know what works for you.

I will get to this tomorrow without fail :)

Thanks for helping me out, hope I can get it to work this time. It has been 4 weeks of no results :(

Peace

I understand you feelings. That's why I am helping you.

Basically I am a linux person, not MAC persion ( i don't use it).

I seeked a better and efficient way to test and install OS, and edned to use Virtualbox.

If you use right way, it will be very efficient.

But, there may be a danger because we are dealing with 3 OS systems, Linux, VB and MAC,

So, you should know what you are doing. Otherwise, you may mess up your entire system.

I do not want that happens and so let do step by step.

That way, I can warn you the possibily of dangers involved in procedure.

I will check later.

Done. I created 2 sata disks and ignored the "initialize" message. Also managed to SHOW all files :)

Awaiting your next set of instructions !

Good.

First get a 10.8.2 Osinstall.mpkg for MBR here http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2815

Open "Disk Utility" from Application/Utility.

In left Tab, you see 3 Disks.

Click a disk for installation. At right side, you see "Partition" tab, click it.

At the bottom, click "option" and choose "MBR".

You will see "current", there choose "1 partitionon", type name of partition, then OK.

Mount your InstallESD.dmg by double click the file in Finder.

Go to Disk utility, click "restore" tab.

Chose sourde is "BaseSystem.dmg", destination is your installing disk from left side of Disk utility.

There is instruction in OSinstall package you downloaded. Follow that instruction.

Then, copy "boot" file and "Extra" folder in SL to your installing disk.

Delete everything in Extra folder in your installing disk except .smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Install Chameleon into your installing disk.

Get a kernel here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd-dont-ask-help-here-use-the-help-topic/

and put it to the root of your installing disk.

Edit your org.chameleon.Boot.plist (kernel name and boot flag).

Mine is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>amd_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64 cpus=1 busratio=18 -v -f npci=0x3000</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Now ready to install ML. Power down SL.

Boot VB SL machine. Using "TAB" key, get into console login.

choose installing partition, and enter.

Now you can install ML into your third disk.

After finish installation, boot into your SL.

Copy kernel and Extra folder from your installing disk to your installed disk.

Install a chameleon, repair permition of your installed partition.

Done.

Note:

Chameleon does not write the boot information at MBR sector in 2nd and 3rd disk.

If you want those disks are bootable, then you should manually do it. Just google it.

Dear All,

yesterday I installed ML 10.8.0 with myhack method to my system. I started system with -x and I installed 10.8.3, added device ids to ATi5000controller.kext and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext. Started with these paramaters

arch=x86_64 -v -f UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Zonalis AtiPorts=3 npci=0x2000

I got on the both displays only white screen and animated mouse cursor.

I can open the system only safe mode, What should I do extra? Should I add or remove some kexts?

@dkechoi

Thanks for the instructions but I do have a question.

Isnt the aim of this to install ML onto the hfs partition that I created using gparted? Are we going to install ML only in VB? I am a little confused...

@dkechoi

Thanks for the instructions but I do have a question.

Isnt the aim of this to install ML onto the hfs partition that I created using gparted? Are we going to install ML only in VB? I am a little confused...

Sure. That's the final goal.

Before doing that, we are making a working ML in VB.

After that, it is very easy to have a ML in physical HD.

So, let's have a VB first.

OK, I get it. I have the below clarification:

1.BaseSystem.dmg is within the InstallESD.dmg, so I mounted that use it to restore

The instructions in that OSinstall package is not very clear, I will still try to follow it and let you know how I progress :)

Delete everything in Extra folder in your installing disk except .smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Install Chameleon into your installing disk.

Get a kernel here http://www.insanelym...the-help-topic/

and put it to the root of your installing disk.

The Extra folder did not have a org.chameleon.boot.plist. Maybe it will come only after I install chameleon.

The kernel version I used is from here - http://www.osx86.net/view/3539-amd_kernel_for_mountain_lion_10.8.2.html

Chameleon bootloader is from here - http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-21-latest-version-download-links-updated

Let me know if that is ok.

Now ready to install ML. Power down SL.

Boot VB SL machine. Using "TAB" key, get into console login.

choose installing partition, and enter.

Now you can install ML into your third disk.

After finish installation, boot into your SL.

Copy kernel and Extra folder from your installing disk to your installed disk.

Install a chameleon, repair permition of your installed partition.

Done.

When I press any key I get the attached screen shot. I select Mac OS X Base System and I press enter and nothing happens.

It just keeps returning me to this screen. I do not know what is wrong.

BTW, my chameleon boot plist consists of :

GraphicsEnabler=No

Kernel=amd_kernel

Kernel Flags=arch=x86_64 cpus=1 busratio=16 npci=0x3000 -v -f

The Extra folder did not have a org.chameleon.boot.plist. Maybe it will come only after I install chameleon.

The kernel version I used is from here - http://www.osx86.net...ion_10.8.2.html

Chameleon bootloader is from here - http://chameleon.osx...d-links-updated

Let me know if that is ok.

Yap. that's why I asked copying boot file and Extra folder from a working SL to a new installing disk before install a chameleon.

Otherwise it will not create an Extra folder. Chameleon says "upgrade" not "install". I do not exactly know what it does.

But, I know hot to make it work.

Mostly any chemeleon will work, but just install the version you installed in SL.

But, for concerning about a kernel, you should know what is the boot flag is.

If you know that, it's fine.

But, I know Anv's latest kernel with my boot flag works in VB and real physical boot for AMD B60 CPU.

Once you have a working ML, you can test various kernels and corresponding boot flags using VB.

If can not boot, then go back to SL, correct it and try again.

So, you can find the kernel and boot flags you like.

But, it's up to you.

@cannon_dt

"When I press any key I get the attached screen shot. I select Mac OS X Base System and I press enter and nothing happens.

It just keeps returning me to this screen. I do not know what is wrong."

I don't understand this part> Do you try to boot or restore in SL?

Do I need to start from first again because I installed chameleon before copying boot file and Extra folder from SL into install disk.

Are you saying it hangs on that screen because of boot flags?

I am a little confused as to what to do now.

the screen I am stuck at is attached

@cannon_dt

"When I press any key I get the attached screen shot. I select Mac OS X Base System and I press enter and nothing happens.

It just keeps returning me to this screen. I do not know what is wrong."

I don't understand this part> Do you try to boot or restore in SL?

Below screenshot should explain this I am tying to boot to install ML into the 3rd sata disk

post-1149290-0-80155400-1366290553_thumb.png

Do I need to start from first again because I installed chameleon before copying boot file and Extra folder from SL into install disk.

Are you saying it hangs on that screen because of boot flags?

I am a little confused as to what to do now.

the screen I am stuck at is attached

I think I know what is wrong here.

Your chameleon build date is 2009.

Did you update a chameleon in SL partition?

If not, update it.

And, make sure you have a "boot" file and "Extra" folder with org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.in ML install.

Just go back to SL, update chameleon both SL and ML Installing disk.

Firstly, is the version of chameleon that I am using ok. I really dont know what version of chameleon I used with SL.

I have an Extra folder and boot file in the installer disk. I also have the org.chameleon.boot plist and smbios.plist.

Wile I installed chameleon I installed it to the ML install disk only and not on the existing SL disk. My SL does not even have an org.chameleon.boot plist file, should I install chameleon onto it? Will it no screw it up as it is now working fine as is?

Firstly, is the version of chameleon that I am using ok. I really dont know what version of chameleon I used with SL.

I have an Extra folder and boot file in the installer disk. I also have the org.chameleon.boot plist and smbios.plist.

Wile I installed chameleon I installed it to the ML install disk only and not on the existing SL disk.

Your MBR boot at SL disk is too old. It does not recognize a new boot file in your new ML boot file.

So, just update chameleon in SL.

I am sure it will be OK.

But, if you want safe way, then first, copy a your SL vdi (say SL.dvi) file in VB machine directory in linux, name it "SL.vdi.orig".

You can go back original state by copy back from "SL.vdi.orig" to "SL.dvi".at anytime.

Do it, then update chameleon for SL disk.

This works for any vdi file. Save a certain vdi file, do whatever you want to that VB.

Not working, copy back to go back to saved status.

OK dkechoi, all resolved. I am able to boot with my install disk now after putting chameleon on SL, man you are a wizard !!!

Going to try and boot now, fingers crossed :)

Ok, it booted in and it is installing now.

But it has been stuck on 19 minutes remaining for more than 5 minutes without any progress.

This is exactly what happened when I tried to install ML into VB directly using the installesd.dmg, I think it is just going to hang on that. :(

Just like I said, stuck at this.....

post-1149290-0-97019600-1366293093_thumb.png

OK dkechoi, all resolved. I am able to boot with my install disk now after putting chameleon on SL, man you are a wizard !!!

Going to try and boot now, fingers crossed :)

Ok, it booted in and it is installing now.

But it has been stuck on 19 minutes remaining for more than 5 minutes without any progress.

This is exactly what happened when I tried to install ML into VB directly using the installesd.dmg, I think it is just going to hang on that. :(

I think you have the corruped installesd.dmg file. I have done several times with method I gave you for 10.8.3 InstallESD.dmg. No problem at all.

During installing, hanging means some missing information unless your PC has somehow starange behavior.

Get a new reliable dmg file, try again.

I want to make sure, did you format the third disk before choose partion during installing process?

how i can dual boot with windows 7 ?

i got windows 7 and mountain lion on seperate hard disks

What is your main booting disk?

@dkechoi

I just left it as is, it is now at 17 minutes but does it take this long. I did get a good torrent version, lots of people have used this. I do not know how to get a reliable dmg image :(

I did a erase - I used Mac Extended Journal format, that is how I did it with SL, so I just did that - I did not do an explicit partition.

@dkechoi

I just left it as is, it is now at 17 minutes but does it take this long. I did get a good torrent version, lots of people have used this. I do not know how to get a reliable dmg image :(

I did a erase - I used Mac Extended Journal format, that is how I did it with SL, so I just did that - I did not do an explicit partition.

I am saying during download. Enything can happen.

Anyway let's way what will happen. And onea while, click a VB window to prevent sleeping.

I think you have the corruped installesd.dmg file. I have done several times with method I gave you for 10.8.3 InstallESD.dmg. No problem at all.

During installing, hanging means some missing information unless your PC has somehow starange behavior.

Get a new reliable dmg file, try again.

I want to make sure, did you format the third disk before choose partion during installing process?

What is your main booting disk?

Windows 7

I can use chain0 method?

Its dead now, stuck at 17 minutes and not responding to mouse click :(

OK, just kill it.

I think you originally downloaded an installESD.dmg file in Linux side.

If you think your downloaded file is ok, then let's try with the file in linux side.

(I strongly believe installing media file is corrupted you used. Except this, i don't see any other cause)

First, setup a samba server in linux with sharing directory which your install file resides. If you don't know, let me know.

Then, boot into SL. At top menu in SL, click "Go/Connect to Server".

At Server address, type smb://"your smb server name which you set in linux", then connect to it.

Now, you can access the file directly or replace your existing file in SL.

Start from the beginning.

See what happens.

Windows 7

I can use chain0 method?

Then is very easy to setp dual booting Win/OSX.

In Win, get a latest easybcd (I think version 2.2), install it.

Settup easbcd and it has an optrion to add a mebu for OSX.

Done.

@dkechoi

I actually used torrent client on linux to get the installesd.dmg and then used a http server I set up (lighttpd) to get it onto my SL - it is a simple http connection to my linux IP and I serve the directory that has all my MAC stuff downloaded.

Is this not what you are suggesting?

Should I try redownloading it? Or should I try 10.8.3?

Also there is utorrent on SL - I can download directly onto my SL?

@dkechoi

I actually used torrent client on linux to get the installesd.dmg and then used a http server I set up (lighttpd) to get it onto my SL - it is a simple http connection to my linux IP and I serve the directory that has all my MAC stuff downloaded.

Is this not what you are suggesting?

Should I try redownloading it? Or should I try 10.8.3?

Also there is utorrent on SL - I can download directly onto my SL?

Let's try a file in linux first as mentioned in the above.

Samba sharing is very reliable, so try this first.

If it is too complicated, there is other way to communicate between linux/osx.

But, it involves some system setting which is needed when you restore a working VB to a raw HD partition later.

Let's leave it as second choice.

Try samba first.