Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

@apanti

I tried setting that as OSXRecovery. No change.

I didn't find an option to disable FileVault from Recovery. :) I already tried. You can only unlock the volume, which doesn't help much. But I couldn't find an option to decrypt it permanently.

However, I managed to do that with the command above.

Which brings me to the next issue: 7 boot entries. Again. This time, the extra one is the "FileVault Prebooter". But there is no FileVault, so not sure what the hell is that doing there. And a regular boot for HiSierraSSD (unencrypted volume). Also, a dedicated recovery, just like before. ALL pointing to the same UUID. 

Anyway, boot.log and config.plist attached.

It's in disk utility, like two entries under unlock "volume name", it says turn off encryption. I think you have to unlock first. An APFS container is created the same way whether it is encrypted or not, so it will always have four partitions inside the container. Here is the problem, you need to look on the Preboot and see what the loader path is for boot.efi and set that for Path key:

Checking volume "Preboot" (*REMOVED*,5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB)) ... skipped because path does not exist

Or if your only intention is to hide the preboot then just put that UUID in GUI/Hide instead.

EDIT: But since the loader is found on that partition to begin with it must be OSXInstaller type if OSX and OSXRecovery did not work.

EDIT2: I see the issue. The loader is under a UUID on disk. And the custom entries don't search for this because the person who implemented APFS for the preboot and recovery did not add it.

EDIT3: And wow, that code is atrocious...

It's in disk utility, like two entries under unlock "volume name", it says turn off encryption. I think you have to unlock first. An APFS container is created the same way whether it is encrypted or not, so it will always have four partitions inside the container. Here is the problem, you need to look on the Preboot and see what the loader path is for boot.efi:

Checking volume "Preboot" (*REMOVED*,5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB)) ... skipped because path does not exist
Or if your only intention is to hide the preboot then just put that UUID in GUI/Hide instead.

The disk is now unlocked... There is no active FileVault on that disk. So...why is there a "Boot FileVault Prebooter" option in Clover UI anymore...? This is what I'm trying to understand.

post-1303722-0-03800400-1498407411_thumb.png

Yeah, I could probably hide it. But...why is it there in the first place, if there there is no FileVault?

Maybe that's why the path to it does not exist anymore? Cause there is no FileVault? But...path for Preboot should be there despite FileVault, right?

you need to look on the Preboot and see what the loader path is for boot.efi

ok, how do I do that? Sorry, but I never debugged issues like this before. So not really sure how to do it.

The reason the entry is there is because the APFS container always creates those four partitions inside. The person who wrote the code for APFS just always made it visible, there doesn't appear to be any way to change the entry with custom entries because he didn't implement it so all you can do is hide it with GUI/Hide.

EDIT: Oops sorry, the loader path should be \3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi.

EDIT2: So I guess there is a way, it's just very convoluted.

OK.... so... how? 

Is there a way to rename that thing? Cause I'm confused. And if there is...what exactly do I need to add to the config to make it display HiSierraSSD for the encrypted entry? Now it does display that. But...the disk is not encrypted anymore. :)) So...yeah, I was wondering how to do that once the disk is encrypted again.

Properly, I didn't mind about this while writing this code for APFS detection, so .. 

However we can use only Preboot volume and hide System volume for HS.

This should eliminate misunderstanding, I'll create a patch soon

• Like 2

I hide its entry this way via CLOVER config.plist:

<key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Custom</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Entries</key>
            <array>
                <dict>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Hidden</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>NoCache</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>OSXRecovery</string>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Volume</key>
                    <string>Preboot</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Hidden</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>NoCache</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>OSX</string>
                </dict>
            </array>
        </dict>

first entry hides Recovery partition, second hides Preboot volume.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there's a way to use "Startup Disk" in system preferences to choose the next startup disk and somehow clover manages to boot from the selected disk. Is that even possible?

I noticed when I change the startup disk these files change in macOS /System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label, /System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label_2x and some other files in /private/var/db/uuidtext

You modify that custom entry you already had for the preboot and add the Path key as \3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi.

Well...is there also a plan B...? Cause this one doesn't seem to work.

<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>HiSierraSSD</string>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Path</key>
					<string>\3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi</string>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>OSX</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<string>3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB</string>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
					<string>Internal</string>
				</dict>

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there's a way to use "Startup Disk" in system preferences to choose the next startup disk and somehow clover manages to boot from the selected disk. Is that even possible?

I noticed when I change the startup disk these files change in macOS /System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label, /System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label_2x and some other files in /private/var/db/uuidtext

Startup Disk works perfectly fine for me. Have you tried it?

• Like 1

<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Path</key>
					<string>\3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi</string>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>OSX</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
				</dict>

Startup Disk works perfectly fine for me. Have you tried it?

As a matter of fact I did, and each time it chooses the same hard disk, maybe I need to remove the "Default Boot Volume" from my config.plist?!

Update:

I think that solved my problem. I just removed it and tested it and it works!

2nd Update:

It's working on and off. some times it works and some times it doesn't. Specially when I try it in macOS High Sierra. When I choose the startup disk in macOS High Sierra it doesn't work. It stays on High Sierra after changing it to some other OS.

As a matter of fact I did, and each time it chooses the same hard disk, maybe I need to remove the "Default Boot Volume" from my config.plist?!

Update:

2nd Update:

It's working on and off. some times it works and some times it doesn't. Specially when I try it in macOS High Sierra. When I choose the startup disk in macOS High Sierra it doesn't work. It stays on High Sierra after changing it to some other OS.

Well, I set mine to Sierra from High Sierra. So I would say it's working for me.

• Like 1

Clover r4097 freezes at the "testing hardware" phase during load on laptops with a Broadcom 440x ethernet chip. If I disable that in the BIOS, Clover loads fine.

It appears that this issue affects all 2.3k builds. The log is from a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Clover r4097, but the same issue occurs on a Latitude D520 with the same ethernet chip.

The last lines of the log are as follows:

40:915  0:123  === [ GetMacAddress ] =====================================
49:954  9:038   get legacy LAN MAC, 1 card found

cloverlog_broadcom440.txt

<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Path</key>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>OSX</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
				</dict>

You need to use the correct unique part of the volume device path string, the UUID is not there in that format, it is in this format:

5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB

So change the Volume key to that.

Update:

2nd Update:

IIRC, it will only work for one boot, then any subsequent boot will be set to whatever volume you booted.

• Like 2

Well, I set mine to Sierra from High Sierra. So I would say it's working for me.

Well the good thing is that you confirmed that it works and I know for a fact now that it does and that's good enough for me :)

You need to use the correct unique part of the volume device path string, the UUID is not there in that format, it is in this format:

IIRC, it will only work for one boot, then any subsequent boot will be set to whatever volume you booted.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Ok, so I tried this:

<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Path</key>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>OSX</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<string>5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB</string>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
				</dict>

And this:

<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Path</key>
					<string>\5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi</string>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>OSX</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<string>5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB</string>
					<key>VolumeType</key>
				</dict>

But no change on my side.

@arsradu,

I've successfully made a custom boot entry for my APFS Preboot Volume following @apianti's instructions and it works!

You need to mount your Preboot Volume (in terminal, diskutil mount disk3s2 for your system) and then use Finder to go to /Volumes and determine the unique folder name that contains System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi - see the screenshot in my updated post#13514.

The custom entry Volume name for your Preboot Volume is still 5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB but replace 3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB in the Path with the unique folder name determined above.  Make sure to use back slashes in the path instead of forward slashes ie \ instead of / :)

Edit:  The unique folder name happens to be the UUID of the main macOS volume (from "diskutil info" command).  The top folder for the APFS Recovery Volume also has the same name ....

post-846696-0-32092200-1498559930_thumb.png

• Like 3

@arsradu,

I've successfully made a custom boot entry for my APFS Preboot Volume following @apianti's instructions and it works!

You need to mount your Preboot Volume (in terminal, diskutil mount disk3s2 for your system) and then use Finder to go to /Volumes and determine the unique folder name that contains System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi - see the screenshot in my updated post#13514.

The custom entry Volume name for your Preboot Volume is still 5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB but replace 3FD03752-1484-44BB-A298-DD20545A42DB in the Path with the unique folder name determined above.  Make sure to use back slashes in the path instead of forward slashes ie \ instead of / :)

ok, I'll try that tonight. :) Thank you!

As you probably seen above, I already tried replacing the UUID in the Path, as well. And yes, they are back slashes. But...no result... So I think I might be missing something here, cause it still doesn't work. But I'll try what you said above and I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thank you.

EDIT:

Waaait... So are you saying the Preboot Volume would be 5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB but the UUID in the Path would be different? Well, I guess there is only one way to find out. :))

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have this behaviour:

• Clover v. 4097
  • GA z170 series sku
  • Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K with patches (fakeID etc.) in Clover and Kexts installed in L/E (Lilu and intelGraphicFixup.kext)
  • HDMI monitor connected to IGFX
  • MacOS 12.6 Beta4
  • GPU ATI Radeon RX460 (which is OOB)
  • Sysdef 17,1
  • CSM disabled in BIOS and GPU=IGFX as Primary.

when I boot I see the BIOS POST of Gigabyte but NO CLOVER start page. Just a blinking cursor on the right top corner of the screen. Then I boot correctly into the system and RX460 works as expected.

If I remove the RX460, CLOVER is working as expected with the its SCREEN option page. 

Why? Does anybody have any hints?

@arsradu,

Oh right, I know why it's different. It's the UUID of the volume it's going to boot, not the preboot itself. So replace the UUID in the path with the UUID from the OS volume in the APFS container.

ok, I'll try that tonight. :) Thank you!

As you probably seen above, I already tried replacing the UUID in the Path, as well. And yes, they are back slashes. But...no result... So I think I might be missing something here, cause it still doesn't work. But I'll try what you said above and I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thank you.

EDIT:

Waaait... So are you saying the Preboot Volume would be 5237D03F8414BB44A298DD20545A42DB but the UUID in the Path would be different? Well, I guess there is only one way to find out. :))

Let me know if that UUID is the same as the OS volume in the APFS container, or if it's like the recovery UUID. But bet it's the os volume UUID.

Hi all,

I have this behaviour:

• Clover v. 4097
  • GA z170 series sku
  • Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K with patches (fakeID etc.) in Clover and Kexts installed in L/E (Lilu and intelGraphicFixup.kext)
  • HDMI monitor connected to IGFX
  • MacOS 12.6 Beta4
  • GPU ATI Radeon RX460 (which is OOB)
  • Sysdef 17,1
  • CSM disabled in BIOS and GPU=IGFX as Primary.

when I boot I see the BIOS POST of Gigabyte but NO CLOVER start page. Just a blinking cursor on the right top corner of the screen. Then I boot correctly into the system and RX460 works as expected.

If I remove the RX460, CLOVER is working as expected with the its SCREEN option page. 

Why? Does anybody have any hints?

Did you like set some settings in your configuration? Maybe Boot/Fast=true? Or DefaultVolume=whatever and Timeout=0?

• Like 3

Oh right, I know why it's different. It's the UUID of the volume it's going to boot, not the preboot itself. So replace the UUID in the path with the UUID from the OS volume in the APFS container.

Let me know if that UUID is the same as the OS volume in the APFS container, or if it's like the recovery UUID. But bet it's the os volume UUID.

Did you like set some settings in your configuration? Maybe Boot/Fast=true? Or DefaultVolume=whatever and Timeout=0?

Your bet would be right. :) It IS the UUID of the OS Volume.

So...I replaced that in the Path, and... well, they say a picture's worth a thousand words. I just think they're right.

post-1303722-0-81215000-1498497209_thumb.png

As for the RX 460, @hackaro, I think it's the notorious problem of no first stage boot with (some) AMD cards (even the ones which are supposed to work OOB). Not sure if this is only with Sierra or also for High Sierra, but I read about it on "the-other-forum-which-shall-not-be-named". If you could try that, I'm very curious to know the result. So you basically need to somehow boot with the default graphics for the first stage boot, and the second stage boot will be normal. Not sure why. I didn't get much time to read more into this.

But I was also interested in buying a RX 560 or 580 and they have the exact same issue. So...for now I'm just gonna wait with my GTX 650, which really does work OOB for both stages.

if someone has any idea what causes this or how to fix it, that would be awesome.

@fusion71au, I guess you were right. Again. Thanks, man. :)

Also, thank you everyone for your feedback and your participation on this.

By the way, does anyone know how to bring back the second stage boot (transparent and everything) when using FileVault? It's the only issue from my initial post for which I didn't find a solution. Not a huge issue. Just curious if anyone found a fix for that, or at least know what could cause it.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. You guys are awesome! :)

• Like 2

No, I didn't change any configuration from one boot to the other.

DefaultVolume="my_ssd"

Timeout=5

Fast Boot=Not selected

@arsradu,

There is a key for custom entries called, Hidden, if you set that to true, then entries will be hidden by default and can be toggled shown/hidden with F3. It's useful for recovery entries, or other stuff you don't use regularly but might need eventually.

EDIT: Glad you got it looking like you want!

@hackaro,

Please post your boot.log and config.plist.

• Like 2