Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

That's great!

Maybe the link under "config.plist example" and "All Strings in config.plist" from "Useful links:" here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1878476can refer automatic to the current version? From there I got the false impression. (Like change the "All Strings in config.plist" link to [url=https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/Settings.c#l2477 )

hello Slice

this is changed in sierra

1:836  0:000      Checking volume "macOS" (PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(7,GPT,7C5D318E-1C1F-46E7-A433-25F36CEA6FEC,0x1D2A5248,0x8A7CD78)) ... match!1:873  0:037          Check if volume Is Hibernated:
1:873  0:000      Check sleep image 'by signature':
1:878  0:005      read prefs \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Not Found
1:878  0:000      using default sleep image name = \private\var\vm\sleepimage
1:894  0:015      Reading first 512 bytes of sleepimage ...
1:895  0:000   OurBlockIoRead: Lba=21EDD890, Offset=43DBB12000 (BlockSize=512)
1:895  0:000   sig lion: 73696D65
1:895  0:000   sig snow: 0
1:895  0:000   got sleep image offset
1:895  0:000      Reading completed -> Success
1:895  0:000       sleepimage offset acquired successfully: 43DBB12000
1:895  0:000       gSleepTime: 1474731740
1:895  0:000       HFS+ volume modifyDate: 1474731740
1:895  0:000       image older then volume: 0 sec
1:895  0:000          hibernated: yes
1:895  0:000          UEFI with NVRAM: Boot0082 no

read prefs \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Not Found

now 2 files

Captura de ecrã 2016-09-24, às 16.52.29.png

is in first file the hibernate mode

thanks

• Like 1

hello Slice

this is changed in sierra

1:836  0:000      Checking volume "macOS" (PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(7,GPT,7C5D318E-1C1F-46E7-A433-25F36CEA6FEC,0x1D2A5248,0x8A7CD78)) ... match!1:873  0:037          Check if volume Is Hibernated:
1:873  0:000      Check sleep image 'by signature':
1:878  0:005      read prefs \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Not Found
1:878  0:000      using default sleep image name = \private\var\vm\sleepimage
1:894  0:015      Reading first 512 bytes of sleepimage ...
1:895  0:000   OurBlockIoRead: Lba=21EDD890, Offset=43DBB12000 (BlockSize=512)
1:895  0:000   sig lion: 73696D65
1:895  0:000   sig snow: 0
1:895  0:000   got sleep image offset
1:895  0:000      Reading completed -> Success
1:895  0:000       sleepimage offset acquired successfully: 43DBB12000
1:895  0:000       gSleepTime: 1474731740
1:895  0:000       HFS+ volume modifyDate: 1474731740
1:895  0:000       image older then volume: 0 sec
1:895  0:000          hibernated: yes
1:895  0:000          UEFI with NVRAM: Boot0082 no

read prefs \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Not Found
now 2 files

attachicon.gifCaptura de ecrã 2016-09-24, às 16.52.29.png

is in first file the hibernate mode

thanks

Some system can use hibernate wake.

But if other system have hibernate mode, cant wakeup. So users usually use "Cancel hibernate wake". Latest Clover hasnt this option.

Therefore we have to use "neverhibernate" on boot in config.plist.

나의 LG-F410S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Rev 3537

Do you like proportional fonts? Depends on...

Vertical menu looks better with constant width fonts.

Other text with proportional.

So I made questionable change that options menu will switch font to constant width with char width set in Theme.plist.

While Help, About and Boot information will be proportional or no depends on Theme.plist. In this case char width doesn't matter.

<key>Font</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CharWidth</key>
			<integer>12</integer>
			<key>Path</key>
			<string>Cambria_20pt_Cell_22x25_l-2_ra.png</string>
			<key>Type</key>
			<string>Load</string>
			<key>Proportional</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>

Is it possible to let option menu using proportional font? Constant width font in option in my theme OSS makes it hard to read.

post-732552-0-11489600-1474744186_thumb.png

Hi,

I was trying to setup two duplicate drives containing El Cap with Clover but the Clover on one drive is pulling the config details from the other drive and I want them to be independant of each other such that if I make a mistake updating OSX on one drive I can go in with my clone drive and fix it.  But the problem is Clover even though I select which drive to load from bios is pulling the kexts and config info from the wrong drive. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi guys!

Haven't been around for a bit. I am curious, is there anyway one could configure an SMBios to appear as it were a Chromebook, and install Chrome OS on it?

Bringing this up because some Chromebooks now allow for Android app installs.

@davidm71

typically clover is is set up to scan all drives and find bootable partitions and then present them as options.  you can turn that scanning off or just present specific volumes say just OSX on disk0.

so now you boot from disk1 - which is your duplicate - it will only inject kexts from itself (if you set up clover to inject them vs cached from /L/E or /S/L/E.  meaning clover will not look at the ESP on other disks for kexts. so i am not sure what you mean pulling kexts from the wrong drive. 

perhaps you should test this by installing a different theme on your duplicate so you can tell which drive you booted.

@davidm71

typically clover is is set up to scan all drives and find bootable partitions and then present them as options.  you can turn that scanning off or just present specific volumes say just OSX on disk0.

so now you boot from disk1 - which is your duplicate - it will only inject kexts from itself (if you set up clover to inject them vs cached from /L/E or /S/L/E.  meaning clover will not look at the ESP on other disks for kexts. so i am not sure what you mean pulling kexts from the wrong drive. 

perhaps you should test this by installing a different theme on your duplicate so you can tell which drive you booted.

I'm way ahead of you in that I already tried that and set different themes and set one drives config.plist to verbose boot and the other without and Clover would still default to loading settings from the other drive. I noticed though if you exit Clover your taken to a legacy bios interface where you can select a default boot drive though that setting doesnt last after a reboot. So my theory is Clover looks for the CLOVER EFI folder on the first drive on the sata chain. This makes it very difficult to maintain separate independent installations. Thanks.

So my theory is Clover looks for the CLOVER EFI folder on the first drive on the sata chain. This makes it very difficult to maintain separate independent installations. Thanks.

From my experience all efi bootloaders do that ie first SATA device seen with efi partition is loaded or written to on update, windows does it linux does it and as you have seen clover as well. Your best bet is USB stick with your known good config in its efi partition that gets loaded no matter what when booted from no messing around loading from other devices.

From my experience all efi bootloaders do that ie first SATA device seen with efi partition is loaded or written to on update, windows does it linux does it and as you have seen clover as well. Your best bet is USB stick with your known good config in its efi partition that gets loaded no matter what when booted from no messing around loading from other devices.

I think your right. I unplugged the first drive and tried to boot off of the second one with out success ie there is no boot loader on the second drive despite running the installer on it. Was thinking about using a usb key too but can't find one at the moment. Maybe manually installing clover on the drive solve my problem.

Thanks

@davidm71. well on my UEFI system, in BIOS I can set which drive is the default boot disk - like Sata0 or Sata1. Clover loads from which ever drive is selected - and will only read the configuration and kexts from the boot disk - whether the boot disk is the default or selected by F12.  You can target Clover to install on a specific disk. this is true for UEFI and Legacy.  

I think your right. I unplugged the first drive and tried to boot off of the second one with out success ie there is no boot loader on the second drive despite running the installer on it. Was thinking about using a usb key too but can't find one at the moment. Maybe manually installing clover on the drive solve my problem.

Thanks

Weird goings on there it should install fine unless the EFI partition is not formatted fat32 perhaps a reformat of it is in order. As tluck mentions it really should be reading from the drive chosen as the boot device it does that here as well when I hit the F12 key to select my spare drive used for testing out all updates to the OS. But just in case I always have boot USB for emergencies for that matter external USB clone I can boot from too.

I am also curious about this subject, before Sierra I had - El Cap, Mavericks and Win10 all on three separate drives and was abled to boot into the two OS X drives respectively without the influence from the other, now that I have updated the El Cap to Sierra with the latest Clover, when ever I boot into Mavericks, the config.plist is loaded from Sierra (details shown in 'About This Mac'). Even more puzzling, with both Sierra and Mavericks drive attached, I lose Bluetooth functionality in Sierra to the point of having to reinstall Sierra. At this moment I can only operate with Sierra and Win10 drives attached, I've tried so many combos in the config.plist in both drives to over come the problem so that Sierra being the first boot drive would not influence the boot of Mavericks but still fails.

Yeah I also installed the latest Clover version 3763 and can tell you that the cloned drive does not boot by itself despite repeatedly installing clover on it to no effect. If I unplug the first sata ssd drive the cloned drive will not boot and the system throws an error complaining its a non bootable no operating system found drive. Wonder is there anyway to check that the uefi boot files were written to the drive? Maybe its not setting the drive as active?

Thanks

I think the error comes from the fact you didn't also clone the boot loader on the drive but never the less, clover will always boot files from the first sata disk attached as far as I understand. How difficult would it be to get clover to ignore the config.plist on the first drive and boot the files from the selected disk at the boot menu screen thus eliminating the problem - is there some kind of work around, is this also a BIOS thing? - I really don't know enough on the subject to combat the problem, all I know that in the past it just worked - now, not so much.

Well its never been required to clone the boot loader. I've always run either chimera, chameleon, or clover installer and that was enough. Going to try installing from another version or usb and report my findings later.

thanks

Edit: Booted from a usb drive and was able to install Clover on the second hard disk and boot from it with the first drive and usb drive both unplugged... BUT with the first drive plugged back in no matter what selecting the second drive from bios boot menu still loads the uefi boot loader from the first drive!

No sure if this is because of how my bios operates. Maybe its the bios choosing the first uefi install. I don't know.

Second Edit: After swapping both sata cables Clover this time finally loads from its own drive BUT now the second drive is loading Clover from the first hard drive bios has marked 'P1' whereas the second drive designated as 'P2'. So if anything ever goes wrong in the future with the installation your going to either use a usb key with current clover config files up to date or swap sata cables. Not sure if its Clover doing this or my bios's half arse uefi implementation at fault. At least I proved Clover installer will not install to a second drive while theres a primary on the Sata chain. You got to unplug it first and use USB!

Just one question:

is it possible to make a selection for CLOVER config.plist files?

So we can have different config.plist files (for example "config.plist, config1.plist, config2.plist") within CLOVER folder and if found more than one, a dropdown menu appears to select, from which configX.plist file the system should be booted.

Maybe something like if-then-else: "if more files found containing 'config...' then create dropdown menu and let the user choose else set default to 'config.plist' and do nothing"

i would be happy to get such an option implemented... but also would not cry, if no-one else needs it and so you won't waste your time to think about it  ;-)

• Like 2

While messing around with my laptop yesterday, Windows 10 decided to screw up something in the BIOS. Today I finally managed to get the laptop to boot again, but I couldn't get it to see Clover on the internal hard disk. It just wouldn't show up in the laptop's boot menu (only the Windows boot manager). It showed my copy of Clover on USB no problem.

I remembered that I used to use Clover Boot Options from Clover's boot menu to write it into the BIOS boot menu but now it only let me do this for the copy on USB (the only one I can boot) and not the one that I've installed to the hard disk. Previously, there would be multiple icons to set the boot options if more than one copy of Clover was installed. Now I only have one.

So I fished out an old copy of my Clover USB (r3320) and when I booted it up, there was the second Boot Options icon and I was able to write the Clover install on my internal drive into the BIOS boot menu. I guess it broke somewhere along the way?

it probably depends on which EFI volume is mounted when installing. you probably should mount the one you want to install too manually before installing clover instead of letting the clover installer do it for you.

Well i went as far as unmounting the volume i did not want touched but that didnt work. Only way was to unplug the first volume physically by hand and then the installer has no choice to install to the intended drive. In any case no mater what drive i select from bios boot menu the first disks config.plist file gets loaded. Still not sure if its the bios fault or Clover.

it probably depends on which EFI volume is mounted when installing. you probably should mount the one you want to install too manually before installing clover instead of letting the clover installer do it for you.

Well i went as far as unmounting the volume i did not want touched but that didnt work. Only way was to unplug the first volume physically by hand and then the installer has no choice to install to the intended drive. In any case no mater what drive i select from bios boot menu the first disks config.plist file gets loaded. Still not sure if its the bios fault or Clover.

@Slice

i wonder why disable "Cancel hibernate wake" option in latest clover?

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/3728/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/entry_scan/loader.c

#ifdef CHECK_FLAGS

AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Hibernate wake", OSFLAG_HIBERNATED, 69);
// AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Cancel hibernate wake", OSFLAG_NOHIBERNATED, 69);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Without caches", OSFLAG_NOCACHES, 69);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "With injected kexts", OSFLAG_WITHKEXTS, 69);
AddMenuInfo(SubScreen, L"=== boot-args ===");
if (!KernelIs64BitOnly) {
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "OSX 32bit", OPT_I386, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "OSX 64bit", OPT_X64, 68);
}
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Verbose (-v)", OPT_VERBOSE, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Single User (-s)", OPT_SINGLE_USER, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Safe Mode (-x)", OPT_SAFE, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Disable Nvidia (nv_disable=1)", OPT_NVDISABLE, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Use Nvidia Web (nvda_drv=1)", OPT_NVWEBON, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Disable PowerNap (darkwake=0)", OPT_POWERNAPOFF, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Use XNU CPUPM (-xcpm)", OPT_XCPM, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Disable Intel Idle Mode (-gux_no_idle)", OPT_GNOIDLE, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Sleep Uses Shutdown (-gux_nosleep)", OPT_GNOSLEEP, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "Force No Msi Int (-gux_nomsi)", OPT_GNOMSI, 68);
AddMenuCheck(SubScreen, "EHC manage USB2 ports (-gux_defer_usb2)", OPT_EHCUSB, 68);