Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

InjectEDID defaults to true when it's not present in the .plist file, causing a black screen on boot on my system and probably others after updating Clover. I am not sure, but I think that behaviour should be reviewed.

This script also doesn't work for me. The problem is when the scripts try to download edk2. They return the same error:

svn: E000054: Can't read from connection: Connection reset by peer

InjectEDID defaults to true when it's not present in the .plist file, causing a black screen on boot on my system and probably others after updating Clover. I am not sure, but I think that behaviour should be reviewed.

But many new users with laptops have success now knowing nothing about EDID. And they didn't report their success.

..but if you read carefully is not the script that give you this error ;)

I don't know... a lot of time without hackintoshing... When I run your script I get this error after the edk2 files start to being downloaded: "svn: E000054: Can't read from connection: Connection reset by peer"

Hope you can help me to figure it out.

Sometimes it doesn't download any edk2 file and just shows:

an error was encountered syncing the repository:
------------------------------
svn: E210004: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2'
svn: E210004: Malformed network data

Can be temporarily, retry later or seek for help.

And sometimes it starts to download edk2 files and stops while downloading showing this:

EDIT: As Micky1979 said in a post below it was just a problem with the sourceforge servers. I tried some hours later and worked like a charm!

I don't know... a lot of time without hackintoshing... When I run your script I get this error after the edk2 files start to being downloaded: "svn: E000054: Can't read from connection: Connection reset by peer"

Hope you can help me to figure it out.

EDIT: Sometimes it doesn't download any edk2 file and just shows:

svn: E210004: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2'
svn: E210004: Malformed network data

And sometimes it starts to download edk2 files and stops while downloading showing this:

Yep, but you understand that is a problem coming from sourceforge.net? ;) I cannot solve their problems, why the script say "retry later"..

• Like 1

Question/Suggestion:

Why isn't the EFI-Backup installed to EFI partition along with the rest of the bootloader when installing to ESP?

I see 2 benefits for that:

- Not touching the OS X partition

- Having the older Clover on the EFI partition, I can recover from a bad clover update (using Windows) without needing access to HFS+

Question/Suggestion:

Why isn't the EFI-Backup installed to EFI partition along with the rest of the bootloader when installing to ESP?

I see 2 benefits for that:

- Not touching the OS X partition

- Having the older Clover on the EFI partition, I can recover from a bad clover update (using Windows) without needing access to HFS+

The huge disadvantage of your proposal is that you will very quickly run out of space on the EFI partition by filling it with backups.

• Like 1

The huge disadvantage of your proposal is that you will very quickly run out of space on the EFI partition by filling it with backups.

Maybe the installer could delete older backups when the number exceeds a certain threshold.

Maybe the installer could delete older backups when the number exceeds a certain threshold.

Probably would be better to move the older backups to the system partition if the space is needed.

But of course, now the problem has been made even more complex...

I use a simple approach:

- before installing a new version of Clover, I insure I have a USB that can be used to boot my system should the update go poorly

- yes..., I actually test the USB before running the Clover update

Then, should it fail due to a Clover bug or other problem, I can fix it by booting from the USB.

• Like 1

Probably would be better to move the older backups to the system partition if the space is needed.

But of course, now the problem has been made even more complex...

I use a simple approach:

- before installing a new version of Clover, I insure I have a USB that can be used to boot my system should the update go poorly

- yes..., I actually test the USB before running the Clover update

Then, should it fail due to a Clover bug or other problem, I can fix it by booting from the USB.

I already did and I still do this, another way is to create a USB drive using BDU in windows when you forgot 

create a USB to save lives... :hysterical:

• Like 1

I have never had success booting clover from usb when EFI is corrupted on the hdd. clover will boot from usb but still use the files from the HDD instead of what is on the stick. now if you do not have EFI or clover on the HDD then the usb will work as it should using the files on it. that problem can leave you stranded if you cannot manipulate your HDD's EFI. also defeats the purpose of the "recovery" usb you made to test clover.

@dr hurt

I rely on rehabman's method - keep a USB install.  it saved me recently when i got a Red Screen panic on my legacy boot system (i forgot to check the box to update the MBR)

so I just booted from the USB and then reinstalled properly.

also I have /Volumes/ESP/EFI and /Volumes/ESP/EFI-Backup

EFI-Backup is 1 rev behind... as before installing a new version of Clover.pkg, I copy EFI/* to EFI-Backup 

• Like 1

Hello

I am installing Ubuntu on my X99

Can someone give me the list of drivers to install in clover and folder where they should fall

Thank you

Nothing special for Linux.

Clover always uses files from the partition it was started from.

Yes, but for legacy boot there are nuances. 

I have never had success booting clover from usb when EFI is corrupted on the hdd. clover will boot from usb but still use the files from the HDD instead of what is on the stick. now if you do not have EFI or clover on the HDD then the usb will work as it should using the files on it. that problem can leave you stranded if you cannot manipulate your HDD's EFI. also defeats the purpose of the "recovery" usb you made to test clover.

I have to explain something more.

Suppose we have two bootable devices (legacy boot) naming them Disk1 and Disk2. Both have /EFI/CLOVER with some different file. For example different Clover revision or different config or different Theme to see where we actually booted.

Choose in BIOS boot from Disk0. It reads Master Boot Record with boot0af contents, jump to it.

It searches a partition ESP on the Disk0, loads boot1f32, jumps to it.

boot1f32 load file boot from the ESP on the Disk0. This is CloverEFI. Jump to it.

Now attention! CloverEFI clears all interrupt vectors, switches to protected mode and so it forgot from what drive it was loaded Disk0 or Disk1. It creates own drive enumeration EFI style.

CloverEFI has a difference from pure DUET by the name to boot

"\\EFI\\CLOVER\\CLOVERX64.EFI" vs  "\\EFI\\BOOT\\BOOTX64.EFI".

CloverEFI searches this file on ALL connected drives including Disk0 and Disk1.

Initially I made "Removable" priority. So for my logic if USB stick inserted Clover from the stick will be started even thou we said BIOS to start from HDD.

I am not sure that the logic remains the same now. Should be rechecked.

Another problem if HDD seeing in BIOS as removable (yellow icons problem). I don't know what will happen in this case.

I have an idea. May be make InjectEDID=true by default if CustomEDID or FakeVendorID used? Else assume old EDID is good enough.

Not sure where to post. It would be nice if there's a General Discussion Thread. I do see General Discussion under Notebooks, Netbook, Tablets but not in anywhere else unless I overlooked.  I know this is not Clover related.

My cousin computer somehow cannot mount EFI. His EFI is under disk1s1

so he did

diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1

and it gave him "Volume on disk1s1 timed out waiting to mount"

So I asked him to reboot his computer and do again. Still no luck.  Then I told him to install lasted Clover r3763.  He did and he got error.  "The Installation failed. The Installer encounter an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software mfr for ass't"

Not sure how to help him and hope someone can help.  Thanks and sorry for posting in a wrong section.

His EFI is most probably corrupted. the second issue may also be caused by that. if possible swap the positions of the hard drives. clover defaults to disk0s1 which is where EFI should be located not on a second drive. some BIOSES do not handle that well.

ps thank you slice for a clear understanding of the issue.

Not sure where to post. It would be nice if there's a General Discussion Thread. I do see General Discussion under Notebooks, Netbook, Tablets but not in anywhere else unless I overlooked.  I know this is not Clover related.

My cousin computer somehow cannot mount EFI. His EFI is under disk1s1

so he did

diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1

and it gave him "Volume on disk1s1 timed out waiting to mount"

So I asked him to reboot his computer and do again. Still no luck.  Then I told him to install lasted Clover r3763.  He did and he got error.  "The Installation failed. The Installer encounter an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software mfr for ass't"

Not sure how to help him and hope someone can help.  Thanks and sorry for posting in a wrong section.

@loganMac

if your cousin has 2 drives, then check to see which drive is listed in your BIOS boot order. you are expecting to boot from disk1 vs disk0 well thats ok too. just figure out which drive he installed clover and which drive the system is trying to boot from.

Note: it is perfectly fine to have Clover installed on both drives. For example, I have 2 disks where I duplicate the EFI partitions (and OSX partitions)

So if i for some i reason i need to select an alternate boot disk, instead of booting up my system default (which i set to disk0) say using the typical F12 boot selector, it will use the EFI on that drive to start Clover.

Anyway, it seems like the partition 1 on his drive 1 may be corrupted or not formatted properly given that it is not mountable.

in that case,

0) start off by running

diskutil info /dev/disk1s1 

to make sure it is an EFI partition

then

1) run fsck_msdos on it repair/fix.

$ sudo fsck_msdos /dev/rdisk1s1
** /dev/rdisk1s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
653 files, 157241 KiB free (314482 clusters)

2) if fsck fails, then reformat it

3) reinstall Clover etc.

$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 32 /dev/rdisk1s1
4096 bytes per physical sector
/dev/rdisk1s1: 76618 sectors in 76618 FAT32 clusters (4096 bytes/cluster)
bps=4096 spc=1 res=32 nft=2 mid=0xf8 spt=32 hds=16 hid=6 drv=0x80 bsec=76800 bspf=75 rdcl=2 infs=1 bkbs=6

May I propose changing the language setting from ge (for german) to de (for german) in file cloverefiboot/code/1015/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/Settings.c

} else if (AsciiStrStr(prop->string, "ge")) {

change to

} else if (AsciiStrStr(prop->string, "de")) {

as this is used for web, in osx, everywhere as language code (even clover configurator has this currently wrong to "de").

Thanks

PS: Should be updated in the wiki http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1878476too.

Has anyone never wakeup hibernate if system has hibernate mode.

I select option like attached pic. And system is reboot.

So i cant wakeup hibernate.

I remember clover(r3696 or r3625) with old GUI has cancel hibernate mode option but latest clover hasnt this option.

Thanks in advance

post-980913-14747083589617_thumb.jpg

나의 LG-F410S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

May I propose changing the language setting from ge (for german) to de (for german) in file cloverefiboot/code/1015/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/Settings.c

} else if (AsciiStrStr(prop->string, "ge")) {

change to

} else if (AsciiStrStr(prop->string, "de")) {

as this is used for web, in osx, everywhere as language code (even clover configurator has this currently wrong to "de").

Thanks

PS: Should be updated in the wiki http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1878476too.

What Clover sources do you mean?

Official Clover at sorceforge.net already has "de".