Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I'm sure somebody out there has run into the same problem as me, so here goes....

Clover is working 99.8% perfectly except for when I try to boot Linux off of it. When I reach the GRUB menu I can't use my mouse or keyboard (which are Logitech wireless/USB). DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS??? Mouse/Keyboard work fine on Clover, after booting into MAC, after booting into Windows 10, after booting into Linux. It's just selecting something on the GRUB screen is my problem.

If anybody can help... THAT WOULD BE GREAT AND APPRECIATED!!!

Although I'm not sure this is related to Clover...but rather to GRUB's USB support (I might be wrong though), I'm just gonna say that I've got a cordless keyboard + mouse combo from Logitech (LX 300 if that makes any difference). And I can use my keyboard with no problem (inside GRUB) after selecting Linux from Clover's boot menu. Doesn't look like GRUB has any mouse support.

Anyway, it might be interesting to know if you're running Linux off of the same HDD/SSD as OS X (installed Linux on a separate partition). Ooor, if you're like me, and you've got a separate HDD for linux, with its own bootloader which you access from Clover, just because the default boot drive (although different from the one with Linux installed) happens to have Clover as boot manager, which will allow you to "see" all the other operating systems on your computer, even if they are on separate drives.

I'm sure somebody out there has run into the same problem as me, so here goes....

Clover is working 99.8% perfectly except for when I try to boot Linux off of it. When I reach the GRUB menu I can't use my mouse or keyboard (which are Logitech wireless/USB). DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS??? Mouse/Keyboard work fine on Clover, after booting into MAC, after booting into Windows 10, after booting into Linux. It's just selecting something on the GRUB screen is my problem.

If anybody can help... THAT WOULD BE GREAT AND APPRECIATED!!!

How did you installed your Linux distro ?

I ran into similar problem when my Mint distro was installed in Legacy mode. Since my bios isn't UEFI I used this quick and easy guide to install Mint in UEFI mode and I have no longer this problem.

If you don't really need Grub to launch your distro, you could also make Clover directly boot the kernel instead of Grub by installing VBoxExt4.efi instead of GrubEXFAT64.efi in Drivers64 folder.

• Like 1

How did you installed your Linux distro ?

I ran into similar problem when my Mint distro was installed in Legacy mode. Since my bios isn't UEFI I used this quick and easy guide to install Mint in UEFI mode and I have no longer this problem.

If you don't really need Grub to launch your distro, you could also make Clover directly boot the kernel instead of Grub by installing VBoxExt4.efi instead of GrubEXFAT64.efi in Drivers64 folder.

I'm pretty sure Linux Mint is installed in Legacy mode. I've been using Chameleon for 2 years and finally have "SEEN THE LIGHT" and switched to Clover yesterday! I'll give that a shot later tonight. I've been trying to tweak settings for the past 4 hours today with no luck. Using the arrows within GRUB would save me a lot of stress. Main reason is I have MultiBoot on a partition with Clonezilla that I use for backing up. Without the use of my keyboard in GRUB, I have no way of getting into!

• Like 1

What kind of support is there in Clover for booting PCIE adapters with m.2 drives on older x79 boards.  Is it possible.  Even if its slower I'm fine with that.  I have 4.6ghz 6 core machine and have no reason to upgrade anything I just want something faster than Sata for boot drive.

What kind of support is there in Clover for booting PCIE adapters with m.2 drives on older x79 boards.  Is it possible.  Even if its slower I'm fine with that.  I have 4.6ghz 6 core machine and have no reason to upgrade anything I just want something faster than Sata for boot drive.

Use Clover BiosBlockIO.

Use Clover BiosBlockIO.

Is there anyway to use nvmeexpressdxe-64 in uEFI boot.  Like booting from UEFI SATA drive for clover boot then having clover detect the NVME to boot from.  I read some people were putting windows boot loaders on USB sticks to get old boards to boot to NVME drives.  I'm sure it would work similar.  When I go to install nvmeexpressdxe-64 from clover installer nvmeexpressdxe-64 only shows up if I uncheck UEFI.  So I'm just wondering driver will still work if I booted to clover from another UEFI drive.  And in that case would I need BiosBlockIO?

Is there anyway to use nvmeexpressdxe-64 in uEFI boot.  Like booting from UEFI SATA drive for clover boot then having clover detect the NVME to boot from.  I read some people were putting windows boot loaders on USB sticks to get old boards to boot to NVME drives.  I'm sure it would work similar.  When I go to install nvmeexpressdxe-64 from clover installer nvmeexpressdxe-64 only shows up if I uncheck UEFI.  So I'm just wondering driver will still work if I booted to clover from another UEFI drive.  And in that case would I need BiosBlockIO?

You need to mod your BIOS (read a few pages before).

I think you need to manually copy the driver into the appropriate clover subfolder for where it loads its kexts in EUFI mode bootup if your planning on using Clover to boot up your system. I went as far using genffs to convert that driver into a module I plugged into my bios with mmtool. That module now is hosted on Win-Raid. If your having space problems I recommend deleting non essential modules from your bios or using tools like ozmtool to compress your bios files. Then insert it and then you can boot from EUFI mode.

HFSPlus is extracted from Apple firmware so is made by Apple (I guess) and no source code available. Vbox variant is made by Clover team, always for HFS file system. The difference, stated by what Slice said is a speed performance (so Vbox is really good ATM), if I remembar correctly.

My curiosity is only on "can coexist?"... ie is Clover skipping one of the two if both are installed? :)

"DisableDrivers" is not an option here  for my question :P