Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Is the setup below ok for a hack running Clover? Preferably UEFI boot. Dual-monitor setup (one connected via DVI, the other one via VGA). 

Specs are: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, i3 3220 @ 3.3GHz, 8GHz DDR3, Nvidia GT 630. 

Do you see any potential issues here? Do you think it can successfully run Yosemite/El Capitan? Should I just go ahead and try to boot with the regular drivers I used for installation on my current setup (DataHubDxe-64, OSXAptioFixDrv-64, PartitionDxe-64) or would you guys recommend a few other things in Clover installer to assure a successful installation and first boot-up. After that, I can take care of LAN, audio and all that fun stuff. But the first thing would be to make it boot.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I am attempting to apply some DSDT Patches via Clover for El Capitan USB 2.0.

I see this error in bdmesg:

1:894  0:000  error Unsupported getting next element of PatchesDSDT at index 0

1:894  0:000  error Unsupported getting next element of PatchesDSDT at index 1

1:894  0:000  error Unsupported getting next element of PatchesDSDT at index 2

Attached is my config.plist with the three attempts to change USBE->EH01, EUSB->EH02, and HUBN->RHUB.

Google oddly does not return a relevant result for that error message. What am I doing wrong? I assume it is something simple in the config.

This is not one of my active builds in sig, this is a P9X79 Pro.

Thanks!

Edit: Annnnnnnnnd nevermind.

Found this (with Slice replying to someone else with this problem) when I dropped the quotes in googling: https://applelife.ru/threads/clover-2011-2014-arxiv.32052/page-1250

I had written the patches section myself instead of copying and pasting and set it up as a dict instead of an array. USB 2.0 now works in all 2.0 ports instead of just some.

config.plist.zip

Sure?

There is no Custom background, there is Custom logo.

So the only background color you can use when using custom logo is grey background?  I would really like a black background like the default black with white apple.

Anyone know whats the best shell to use with clover? In the Tools folder there are like three of them. Whats the difference between shellx64 and shellx64U for example?

Thanks

Shell64U is more advanced, recommended for UEFI boot, but it may not works on some configs.

Shell64 is old but stable, recommended for legacy Clover. It has no some features of U version such as NVRAM that absent with legacy Clover. 

My friend tells me that I do not recommend configurator clover because it removes the parameters which "does not understand" the config.plist. If this is true, then we kindly ask the application developer to correct this error (if it can at all do), and has the time to perform such improvement program.

My friend tells me that I do not recommend configurator clover because it removes the parameters which "does not understand" the config.plist. If this is true, then we kindly ask the application developer to correct this error (if it can at all do), and has the time to perform such improvement program.

Sure, but Clover Configurator is not supported/developed by the Clover team. Also, I didn't really have this issue in a long time. So, my suggestion would be to give the latest version of Clover Configurator a try before judging it.

So the only background color you can use when using custom logo is grey background?  I would really like a black background like the default black with white apple.

The BooterConfig entry explained here:             #7            

/* Bitfields for boot_args->flags */
#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic    (1 << 0)
#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI            (1 << 1)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlack            (1 << 2)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig	(1 << 3)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig	(1 << 4)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot          (1 << 5)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg          (1 << 6)
#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI          (1 << 7)

..is what you need (bit fields with black options)

Hi,, Anyone use "X58" for El Capitan here??

I have ECS X58b A3 SLI + Intel Core i7 960 + HIS AMD Radeon 4670 with Clover Rev 3330.

I try to boot into El Capitan USB Installer and can get CLOVER GUI and choose "Install OS X El Capitan" partition of USB, but after mark "------------------------" then it will reboot.
I used MacPro3.1 SMBios. No other verbose log.

I attach my Config.plist.

Sorry for my bad english

But i try to boot from Snow Leopard USB Installer,, then i can see verbose log. I thought this is about "kernel". Am i right?

config.plist.zip

Sure, but Clover Configurator is not supported/developed by the Clover team. Also, I didn'tbreally have this issue in a long time. So, my suggestion would be to give the latest version of Clover Configurator a try before judging it.

Clover Configurator currently doesn't support:

- Devices/Arbitrary (it will remove the entire section if present!)

- Disabled flag in ACPI/DSDT/Patches (it will remove the flag)

- Disabled flag in ACPI/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch (it will remove the flag)

- there may be others...

In addition some DSDT/Fixes are misspelled. I don't have a complete list, but as an example... if you edit a file with FIX_TMR_40000, it will remove it because it is misspelled as FiX_TMR_40000 in the CC code (note lower case 'i'). I'm not sure if there are other examples.

Also, the tool adds settings that were not previously present, and re-orders everything. It is mess if you use source control (git/svn).

Problem is one of design. Removing entries that CC doesn't understand is bad design. The file contents should be kept in original order. Entries that are not present should not be added.

• Like 7

- Disabled flag in ACPI/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch (it will remove the flag)

- there may be others...

In addition some DSDT/Fixes are misspelled. I don't have a complete list, but as an example... if you edit a file with FIX_TMR_40000, it will remove it because it is misspelled as FiX_TMR_40000 in the CC code (note lower case 'i'). I'm not sure if there are other examples.

Also, the tool adds settings that were not previously present, and re-orders everything. It is mess if you use source control (git/svn).

Problem is one of design. Removing entries that CC doesn't understand is bad design. The file contents should be kept in original order. Entries that are not present should not be added.

Very nice! Thank you for your detailed reply. One question I have, and you might say the tool is designed to be used by "experts" or something, but no one is an expert by default. You become an expert, in time, if you care enough to learn a few things. And even then, you will most likely still have a lot of things to learn, a lot of things you don't know. Cause, well, human. :)

Anyway, question is: why don't we have a configurator tool, made by the same people that created Clover itself? Or...is there such a tool anywhere? Something with an UI, something that can be easily (or at least "easier") understood by anyone, something made with the entire Clover functionality in mind, and taking into account all those things that you mentioned above. Since it would be made by the same people. So they already know how to do it in order to avoid such issues. Still, there is no such thing, no such tool, for as far as I know. There are so many brilliant minds around here, so much potential for such a project. Still, someone else made the tool, someone with apparently not enough knowledge/expertise about Clover's functionality itself to avoid these issues.

• Like 1

- there may be others...

Noob trying to learn.

I think I just read the above quote and more puzzle pieces coming together.

So Clover is the bootloader (Only used to get software installed and keep the EFI in order?)

Clover Configurator is NOT made by the same people and removes things that coders of clover would not have done?

I am looking at starting over with a new clover setup because of trying tooo many pathches and bad kext left my current clover set up a little confusing.

If the above is true then I am assuming that I

1.) Need to find out how to create a new clover install without using configuator.

2.) Do all edits through DSDT editor like MaciAsl and Plist editors

3.) All kekts can be moved to the correct S/L/E or Extra folder and injected using terminal or Kext injector software (The version mentioned in the beginning of this forum)

4.) Clover is more manual than clover configurator but when you know what you are doing that is the best way?

Sorry if I am missing things it is just that the more I read the more confused i get especially being new and sometimes I will be reading something only to find out I do not need it for the build I have.

So Clover is the bootloader (Only used to get software installed and keep the EFI in order?)

Clover is an extended Boot Manager to provide an OS X-compatible environment, it doesn't keep anything EFI "in order".

Clover Configurator is NOT made by the same people and removes things that coders of clover would not have done?

Aye.

3.) All kekts can be moved to the correct S/L/E or Extra folder and injected using terminal or Kext injector software (The version mentioned in the beginning of this forum)

There is no 'Extra' folder for Clover, use EFI/Clover. Putting a kext into Clover's folder doesn't require Terminal or extra software.

4.) Clover is more manual than clover configurator but when you know what you are doing that is the best way?

I have no idea what that means, but if you are asking that using the Clover installer is 'more manual' than using the Configurator, there practically isn't any difference. The only thing the Configurator provides is a fancy GUI rather than the bare plist content.