Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I installed the biosblockio on USB key. Then took the efi driver that is not in the efi folder, moved the driver to my desktop (this step is only needed to get the driver, because you don't have that option from clover installer. Then installed EFI clover install to the 950 pro. Then moved the nvme efi driver I got from the USB stick, into the efi partition under the 64 bit efi folder (make sure your mounting the EFI partition). Im certain as long as you have the kext in 10.10 or 10.11 kext folder and nvme efi driver in the 64 bit efi folder anyone can boot. As long as the motherboard recognizes the drive.

btw if anyone is listening that dev's for clover installer. The nvme efi driver needs to be a option for EFI installer.

That's amazing that you didn't need to mod your bios and that it would boot clover efi from the nvme express driver ?! I mean without motherboard support for the drive! How lucky are you?!

Hey Slice,

I just wanted to say thank for clover. It has been a life safer compared to many other boot loaders and I know you work hard on it.

I had a few questions, I was talking to Download-Fritz on irc and a few others whom used to work with you but they are unsure and asked me to ask you directly.

I have two questions.

I guess I shall start with the hardware:

Mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/

CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

ChipSet X79

A) I am thinking of doing DUAL AMD GPU's (VS doing dual NVIDIA) due to the web drivers - I am seeing many force closes in Final Cut Pro X and some other graphics issues with my current 970 on my current hack. I had not seen patching for specific GPU's (AKA pushing a frame buffer to each of them)

B) MSR patching - I was interested in knowing - I saw you added KernelPM (but that as far as I'm told is EMUlated PM) vs actually patching the bios to unlock that. I was wondering if you had some info for me about this as well.

EDIT: Also, I have a very WILD setup. I have 3X 3440X1440 screens and one full 4K display. I am looking for the and OS X AMD card that will run natively and i can use all ports for multiple screens. any help with this will be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks

John

rhcp011235@me.com (Email address)

Fritz,

UnoE has got to have NVME support in his bios as theres no way installing clover on an nvme drive is going to boot without it right? Love to see his bios file and look through it. Makes me wonder if his board is actually booting in 'NVME' mode at all. I didn't think it was possible?

Thanks

Fritz,

UnoE has got to have NVME support in his bios as theres no way installing clover on an nvme drive is going to boot without it right? Love to see his bios file and look through it. Makes me wonder if his board is actually booting in 'NVME' mode at all. I didn't think it was possible?

Thanks

Im using rampage extreme IV bios 4205.   Should be easy to find if you want to look at it.  This board has the most features out of all the X79 boards so maybe it is just ASUS added support.  But that bios is very old so I don't know.  But I would say NVMe has to be enabled because the speeds are reflecting the advertised speeds of the drive.  I see it doing about 2050 read and 880 write, with 256GB 950 pro.  But I was convinced it has to do with the NVMe driver in the 64 bit EFI folder.  But I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Well @Slice that's what I have now.

But how can I make my hard disk bootable??

As I explained in my post my hard disk doesn't boot in this case and I have to use Clover USB to start the system. Only if I set ESP active then hard disk boots successfully but then Windows will never load.

Clover must be installed on ESP. Check again what and where. It must work as I told.

DarwinDumper report is a good helper to understand the problem.

Hey Slice,

I just wanted to say thank for clover. It has been a life safer compared to many other boot loaders and I know you work hard on it.

I had a few questions, I was talking to Download-Fritz on irc and a few others whom used to work with you but they are unsure and asked me to ask you directly.

I have two questions.

I guess I shall start with the hardware:

Mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/

CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

ChipSet X79

A) I am thinking of doing DUAL AMD GPU's (VS doing dual NVIDIA) due to the web drivers - I am seeing many force closes in Final Cut Pro X and some other graphics issues with my current 970 on my current hack. I had not seen patching for specific GPU's (AKA pushing a frame buffer to each of them)

B) MSR patching - I was interested in knowing - I saw you added KernelPM (but that as far as I'm told is EMUlated PM) vs actually patching the bios to unlock that. I was wondering if you had some info for me about this as well.

EDIT: Also, I have a very WILD setup. I have 3X 3440X1440 screens and one full 4K display. I am looking for the and OS X AMD card that will run natively and i can use all ports for multiple screens. any help with this will be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks

John

rhcp011235@me.com (Email address)

John,

I wrote Clover based on my experience, on testing, added experience of other developers, added info from other testers.

I will not produce hypotesis and rumors.

Your hardware is new for us. How did you propose we may answer you?

Do the work, make your observation, create reports and then ask us. May be we can direct you what to do.

Take into account that OSX behaviour mostly depends on private Apple's drivers. Not from us.

MSR patching. 

The MSR 0xE2 can be locked by BIOS if it set bit 15. Hex value 0x8000. The register will be locked until next reset. It is impossible to change it in this case.

The only way is reflash your BIOS such a way it will not lock the register. See utility by Coderush.

Clover has patches for a system to work even if the MSR is locked. It is not good way. It will be better to change BIOS. (Say hello to ASUS).

But it is only possibility to make such patches at Clover time. Clover can't change the MSR because it is already locked.

Clover must be installed on ESP. Check again what and where. It must work as I told.

DarwinDumper report is a good helper to understand the problem.

@Slice, thank you.

It is installed to ESP. I reinstalled the system several times and looks like everything is in place. The main symptom is that the hard disk starts only if ESP is set active.

Here is DarwinDumper output. Can you please help checking these logs? I really appreciate it.

DarwinDumper_Damx.zip

John,

I wrote Clover based on my experience, on testing, added experience of other developers, added info from other testers.

I will not produce hypotesis and rumors.

Your hardware is new for us. How did you propose we may answer you?

His question was not specific to thge actual hardware, like how to get a specific card to work, what he asked is if there was a way to do the patching Clover already does, as in injecting Device Properties etc, per card, as in having two cards in the system and both getting different properties injected by Clover, including the framebuffer. As I have no idea how Clover actually does that, I told him he could drop a post here, but obviously it's not welcome.

As for injecting different properties, I now propose you use the DSDT John, that way you can disable Clover's injection and assign properties to the different DSDT devices.

EDIT: The MSR question was already answered in PM after he created the post, it was only AMD patching/injection I did not know about...

• Like 1

I had no possibility to test Clover injections for two cards. Are you?

His question was not specific to thge actual hardware, like how to get a specific card to work, what he asked is if there was a way to do the patching Clover already does, as in injecting Device Properties etc, per card, as in having two cards in the system and both getting different properties injected by Clover, including the framebuffer. As I have no idea how Clover actually does that, I told him he could drop a post here, but obviously it's not welcome.

As for injecting different properties, I now propose you use the DSDT John, that way you can disable Clover's injection and assign properties to the different DSDT devices.

EDIT: The MSR question was already answered in PM after he created the post, it was only AMD patching/injection I did not know about...

It can probably be done with config.plist/Devices/Arbitrary.

If not that way (maybe no ACPI identity), certainly through ACPI/_DSM.

• Like 3

@Slice, thank you.

It is installed to ESP. I reinstalled the system several times and looks like everything is in place. The main symptom is that the hard disk starts only if ESP is set active.

Here is DarwinDumper output. Can you please help checking these logs? I really appreciate it.

attachicon.gifDarwinDumper_Damx.zip

Because you installed boot0ss.

Install boot0af

It works as follow:

1.  Search for active partition first.

2. IF NOT FOUND then boot from ESP.

• Like 1

Because you installed boot0ss.

Install boot0af

Thank you. As I mentioned before I have tried several times both boot0af and boot0ss. 

I have just reinstalled Clover with boot0af once again as you said. The result is the same:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key 

• Clover is installed to ESP
  • ESP is not active
  • boot0af is installed

The complete description of the issue is in my original post.

"No bootable device" is a message from BIOS, not from Clover.

It may mean that boot0af is not installed and the bios account the HDD as non-bootable.

It also may mean that your BIOS can't work this way. I don't know why.

It may mean that boot0af is not installed and the bios account the HDD as non-bootable.

It also may mean that your BIOS can't work this way. I don't know why.

Same as mine, Phoenix bios of my laptop won't boot Clover Legacy, nor Clover UEFI.

I passed this issue installing first Chameleon in the ESP, without reboot i installed Clover Legacy in the ESP (rewrite boot file of Chameleon) et voilà

@Damx: try and report

• Like 1

mmhm, the onboard dd is the problem installing stage 1?

Try manual installation and use boot1-install to install boot1f32 to the ESP:

sudo /path/to/boot1-install -y -u -f /path/to/boot1f32 /dev/rdiskXs1

change  /dev/rdiskXs1 to match your ESP, can't be other..apparently (also, should be enough only repeating stage 1 since stage 0 is already there)

EDIT

Difference installing partition bootsectors between Enoch/Chameleon and Clover is that Clover use dd, instead Enoch use boot1-install, if help  :)

Hello there,

I am struggling to finish wife's hackintosh so she can use it again finally.

It was working well with Yosemite and Chameleon boot loader so far, until I decided to install El Capitan.

The box is consisted with GA-Z77M-D3H mainboard and Nvidia GT 730 (kepler) graphics card.

I am using Clover boot loader with Nvidia Web Drivers (nvda_drv=1).

Sometimes it is able to boot correctly, but mostly ended by showing black screen, turn of the display and finally reboot.

It seems that it doesn't recognize the graphic card correctly.

I tried different random options, but the result is still the same.

If they are any suggestions I am ready to give it a try, before to switch back to Chameleon eventually.

Of course, it doesn't even get to bootloader stage.

But the weird thing is that IF the ESP is set active - it boots fine. I think the key is somewhere around this (may be).

Same as mine, Phoenix bios of my laptop won't boot Clover Legacy, nor Clover UEFI.

I passed this issue installing first Chameleon in the ESP, without reboot i installed Clover Legacy in the ESP (rewrite boot file of Chameleon) et voilà

Thanks! Will try tomorrow and report back here.

Of course, it doesn't even get to bootloader stage.

But the weird thing is that IF the ESP is set active - it boots fine. I think the key is somewhere around this (may be).

Do you have pure GPT or hybrid GPT/MBR?

Where you set partition "active"? It is impossible in pure GPT.

What was the configuration when you used Chameleon?

Hello there,

I am struggling to finish wife's hackintosh so she can use it again finally.

It was working well with Yosemite and Chameleon boot loader so far, until I decided to install El Capitan.

The box is consisted with GA-Z77M-D3H mainboard and Nvidia GT 730 (kepler) graphics card.

I am using Clover boot loader with Nvidia Web Drivers (nvda_drv=1).

Sometimes it is able to boot correctly, but mostly ended by showing black screen, turn of the display and finally reboot.

It seems that it doesn't recognize the graphic card correctly.

I tried different random options, but the result is still the same.

If they are any suggestions I am ready to give it a try, before to switch back to Chameleon eventually.

Clover recognizes kepler very fine that can confirm thousands users.

You can upload your DarwinDumper report or switch to Chameleon. 

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Do you have pure GPT or hybrid GPT/MBR?

Where you set partition "active"? It is impossible in pure GPT.

What was the configuration when you used Chameleon?

It is pure GPT as stated in gdisk output: 

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

I used fdisk to set ESP active. After that it boots fine, but Windows doesn't, so I do not make it active and boot from USB.

Hard disk was MBR when I used Chameleon, so there was no problem with GPT.

Thank you. As I mentioned before I have tried several times both boot0af and boot0ss. 

I have just reinstalled Clover with boot0af once again as you said. The result is the same:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key 

• Clover is installed to ESP
  • ESP is not active
  • boot0af is installed

The complete description of the issue is in my original post.

Try boot0ss

sudo /path/to/boot1-install -y -u -f /path/to/boot1f32 /dev/rdiskXs1

Thank you.

- illegal option --u

Tried without it and unfortunately did not help.

Well.... But this is because Chameleon sets ESP active (see Chameleon_Installer_Log), which is exactly my problem.

Just tried that and it screwed up my system again: as I mentioned the hard disk is bootable, but Windows is completely damaged:    Error code: 0xc000000e   

ESP is now active again.

Chameleon_Installer_Log:

==============================================================================

SYSTEM INFO:
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.11.2
BuildVersion: 15C50
Pre-Install Script
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating /Volumes/Macintosh/EXTRAROOTDIR symlink targeting /Volumes/BOOTRAMDISK
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh               207.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 41.8 GB    disk0s5
/dev/disk2 (disk image):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                            BOOTRAMDISK            +209.7 MB   disk2
END - Pre-Install Script
Main ESP Post-Install Script
Chameleon installer log - Sat Jan  9 22:06:06 ICT 2016
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.3svn r2716

SEARCHING ESP PARTITION:
GPT partition Scheme detected..
EFI partition found is /dev/disk0s1, try to mount it..
Mounting /dev/disk0s1 on /Volumes/ESP as msdos Volume..
EFI System Partition mounted!
BACKUP CHAMELEON FILES:
Backup stage2 file /Volumes/ESP/boot to //Chameleon.Backups/2016-01-09-22h06/boot
No Extra folder was found, nothing to be saved.
EXTRA FOLDER:
Extra not found on /Volumes/ESP, creating..
File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: /Volumes/BOOTRAMDISK/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
First Check Passed (not Fat16)!
Windows installation not found on /dev/disk0.
/dev/disk0s1 is FAT32 formatted
WRITING STAGE 0:
boot0 written to /dev/disk0
WRITING STAGE 1 msdos:
boot1f32 (msdos) written to /dev/rdisk0s1.
ESP Mount Point is:/Volumes/EFI, using that as target Volume!
WRITING STAGE 2:
Stage 2 (boot) written to /Volumes/EFI.
SET PARTITION ACTIVE:
Setting /Volumes/EFI partition active.
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1> Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 30401/255/63 [488397168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending
 #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  488397167] <Unknown ID>
 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      
 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      
 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      
fdisk: 1> Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> 
END - ESP Post-Install Script
Running Post postinstall script
Target volume = /Volumes/EFI
Moving Extra folder to /Volumes/EFI
Post postinstall script complete

Thank you.

- illegal option --u

Tried without it and unfortunately did not help.

Apparently Clover does not use latest version of boot1-install with the "-u" option to force umount  the target volume.

The target volume should be umounted to have success. Clover already do that using its postinstall script but use dd then.

This is one use by Enoch and last version also accepted by Zenith432:

precompiled: boot1-install.zip

source:boot1-install.c.zip

BTW is a test to help you, not sure if this really is the solution, but as I said is the only difference installing bootsector between Enoch and Clover (ok, boot1f32 seem the same, for the boot0 used I can't say...)

• Like 1