ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

@Adi,

Just a quick note to let you know that I had to roll back kexts when I tried to instal 10.9 DP4 (see page 31).

I got stuck at init probe start and I get the endless beach ball... but did not have KP.

As 68x pointed out, I needed to disable USB 3.0 in bios, which I hadn't done.

You might try with kext rollback to reach the installation menu.

According to 68x, it is not necessary. We are missing out on something here.

I'll post my result as soon as I get a chance to try again.

Cannot access BIOS

I wanted to check that USB 3.0 was disable.

I restarted the computer (from OSX and from Windows) and pressed F2 at boot.

Instead of going into UEFI Bios I get a blank blue screen.

I then tried ESC key. I do get into the boot menu. From there, I tried going into Setup but it brings me to the same blank blue screen.

I tried re-flashing BIOS219 but it's considered older than BIOS219 installed and did not flash.

Any idea on how to reflash (if necessary the latest Bio) ?

Cannot access BIOS

I then tried ESC key. I do get into the boot menu. From there, I tried going into Setup but it brings me to the same blank blue screen.

I tried re-flashing BIOS219 but it's considered older than BIOS219 installed and did not flash.

Are you using Clover? If you are remember to specify which theme to use, be default it's 'metal'.

Cannot access BIOS

Did you flash a patched BIOS or something ? Normally, when you press escape and you select he Setup option, it will take you into your BIOS setup..

It has never happened to me before.. I posted the instructions on how i flashed my patched BIOS from Windows a few posts back. You can try the same procedure but without the file change trick.

Adi

• Like 1

Here is an updated DSDT with many updates.

I put comments inside the dsl file to help you compare it to your own DSDT (e.g. Ux32VD).

Please post your comments and own edits.

* DSDT UX31A Bios 219
 * Disassembly with MaciASL of DSDT_Ux31A_Bios219.aml, October 12 2013
 * Zenbook path repo : http://fatalfatalis.ca/laptop (credits 68x)
 * BIX Edit 16 bits -> 2x 8 bits (credits Qwerty12)  
 * Brightness Fn F5 _Q0E and Fn F6_Q0E : 0x20 and 0x11 (credits EMlyDinEsH)
 * SKBL for keyboard backlight (credits EMlyDinEsH)
 * ALSS Patch for Asus Ambient Light Sensor (credits EMlyDinEsH)
 * Inserted MCHC and Insert SMBus (http://maciasl.sourceforge.net)
 * Replaced Names such as USBx->UHCx, IDE0->SATA GFX0->IGPU
 * HD4000 0x01660009 (Mobile) and HDMI (HDEF) (http://pjalm.info/repos/graphics)
 * AAPL for EHCI1,2 XHCI1 and PS2K
 * OS Darwin, Wifi (Fn F2) inserted at line 8700
 * Wifi/BT Fn F2 _Q0B 4 toggles (credits EMlyDinEsH)
 * Lid sleep fix Fn+F7 with RPUN/SPUN _Q10 instead of RPIN/SPIN
 * (Credits EMlyDinEsH, Qwerty12 and fvl)
 * TIMR IQR removed (Credits Qwerty12)
 * ARPT Atheros9285 as Airport (was WLAN)
 * not installed : PINI for Ux32Vd only @ _PTS (credits Qwerty12)
 * PNOT changes (credits Qwerty12)
 * HPET Fix (Credits Laqk)
 * LPCB pci8086,1e44 Temperature in OS X 10.9 (credits nyolc8)

DSDT11.aml.zip

DSDT11.dsl.zip

• Like 2

I've already patched my BIOS.  Here is a quick guide:

You will need Windows (Windows 7 is preferred, Windows 8 has trivial issues).

You will also need PMPatch for Windows, and FPTW64.

This is very important to note: Modding the BIOS is risky, and you are now warned. Also note I will not be held responsible if you brick your laptop.

Again, modding the BIOS may:  brick your laptop, incur data loss, and other adverse effects. I, 68x, will not be held responsible for your actions.

From this point and onwards, I recommend having your laptop connected to your charger. I also assume that you know how to use PMPatch.

Download the attached .zip and unzip to your desktop. Also, download PMPatch for Windows.

Go to the folder where FPTW64.exe  and open command prompt as an admin.

Run this command:

fptw64.exe -BIOS -D BACKUP.ROM
fptw64.exe -BIOS -D MOD.ROM

This will dump the BIOS.

Use PMPatch on MOD.ROM

Open another command prompt as an admin.

This will flash your bios.

Next run this command:

fptw64.exe -BIOS -F MOD.ROM

If you want to unpatch, just change the above command to:

fptw64.exe -BIOS -F BACKUP.ROM

Congratulations, you now have a PMPatch'd BIOS and you can now use native AICPM.kext

FPTW64.zip

• Like 2

Here is an updated DSDT with 2 changes :

- Original LID and GLID to put Zenbook to sleep when clausing the lid.

LID should work with 10.8.5 and 10.9 as (credits Qwerty12)

- Sound : internal Audio + HDMI Audio

I set Layout-id = 3 (credits Toleda).

I don't have an HDMI monitor to test it but it is supposed to work with AppleHDA (or VoodooHDA). 

* DSDT UX31A Bios 219
 * Disassembly with MaciASL of DSDT_Ux31A_Bios219.aml, October 13 2013

Please let me know if LID works as it is supposed to with 10.8.5.
Could someone with HDMI Audio please let me know if both audio are working together ?

DSDT12.aml.zip

DSDT12.dsl.zip

• Like 1

Guys I need your help, I only have a problem to solve, everything else works fine.
At the start most of the time I have black screen (I have uploaded a video to explain better).

I was helped by Rom1 Thank you very much, below what we tried:
- Various flags in config.plist of Clover: InjectIntel, GraphicsEnabler.InjectEDID, IgPlatformId (all).
- Ram allocated in the Bios (64,128,256,512 Mb)
- Changing AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext
- Efi string.
- Several DSDT.

All without lasting results, sometimes start perfectly for 4/5 times and then back problems.

This problem occurs only with internal monitor, connecting an external monitor always works.

None of you had the same problem? I hope someone can help me.

Thank you all.

I enclose dsdt(the last of Rom1),ssdt,config.plist,ioreg

MacBookAir5,2.zip

• Like 1

I have the same problem than berny_
I have all graphics effect in my hackintohs, but some times in a few moments i have black screen, for example when im going to install autocad, and when im going to see graphics properties i have black screen.
I upload my ioreg, if somebody help us, thanks.
My screen resolution is 1366x768.

IOreg - UX32VD

Video: problem black screen

• Like 1

@bajito93

I believe that you have an ux32vd by looking at your ioreg.

Did you optimize your dsdt matching your own bios ?

I briefly looked at the framebuffer ports used.

Toleda wrote a tutorial for hdmi audio on port 6, which you and Bernie both have (which is good).

you both have also port 0 (internal display I guess).

However you also have port 7 (no idea here) : do you use VGA ?

You may try updating clover and set additional variables concerning sleep (Issues with black screen, not far from your problem).

I did not get a chance yet to investigate but there are 5 variables that have been added.

• Like 1

Thanks @rom1

I used 68x DSDT he post it few page ago, and yes my zenbook is ux32vd, with two graphics card Nvidia GT620 and the HD4000, the cpu is i5-3317u

Yes i have vga specifically mini-vga, and normal HDMI.

And i dont use clover bootloader, im using chameleon bootloader. Does this affect? I think berny uses clover and also has the problem.

I will see the frame buffer, and try change something.

Thanks @rom1

I used 68x DSDT he post it few page ago, and yes my zenbook is ux32vd, with two graphics card Nvidia GT620 and the HD4000, the cpu is i5-3317u

Yes i have vga specifically mini-vga, and normal HDMI.

And i dont use clover bootloader, im using chameleon bootloader. Does this affect? I think berny uses clover and also has the problem.

I will see the frame buffer, and try change something.

Yes, I'm using clover bootloader rev.2236 and I've the same problem, we've 2 external ports, 1 HDMI, 1 mini-vga.

Guys I need your help, I only have a problem to solve, everything else works fine.

At the start most of the time I have black screen (I have uploaded a video to explain better).

I was helped by Rom1 Thank you very much, below what we tried:

- Various flags in config.plist of Clover: InjectIntel, GraphicsEnabler.InjectEDID, IgPlatformId (all).

- Ram allocated in the Bios (64,128,256,512 Mb)

- Changing AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext

- Efi string.

- Several DSDT.

All without lasting results, sometimes start perfectly for 4/5 times and then back problems.

This problem occurs only with internal monitor, connecting an external monitor always works.

None of you had the same problem? I hope someone can help me.

Thank you all.

I enclose dsdt(the last of Rom1),ssdt,config.plist,ioreg

How can you do very quick sleep and wake up from keyboard?

How can you do very quick sleep and wake up from keyboard?

I hold down the power button for 2 seconds and then I press the    S   button to send him to stop.
With the combination Fn + f1 pc shuts down completely,  I do not understand why, very very strange.

To fix keyboard backlight not working after sleep (if you are on 10.8.5/10.9.x), apply this patch to your DSDT:

# Fix originally discovered by RehabMan and 68x
# Patch created by 68x
into Method label _WAK code_regex WAK\s+\(Arg0\) replace_matched begin

If (LOr (LLess(Arg0, 1), LGreater(Arg0,5))) \n
        { \n
            Store(3, Arg0) \n
        } \n
        WAK(Arg0)\n
end;
  • Like 3

Soooo many hours wasted and I still can't boot my installed 10.9 GM without the -x switch.

I'm honestly about to give up. Has anyone managed to boot it without the -x switch once it's installed ? What are the .kexts that you used ? A simple list would put me out of my misery..

Thanks in advance.

Adi

To fix keyboard backlight not working after sleep (if you are on 10.8.5/10.9.x), apply this patch to your DSDT:

# Fix originally discovered by RehabMan and 68x
# Patch created by 68x
into Method label _WAK code_regex WAK\s+\(Arg0\) replace_matched begin

If (LOr (LLess(Arg0, 1), LGreater(Arg0,5))) \n
        { \n
            Store(3, Arg0) \n
        } \n
        WAK(Arg0)\n
end;

I'm sorry can you explain how and in what part of the dsdt I have to apply the patch?

Thank you!

Can anyone who has successfully got a UX31A fully working, or at least close to full please post the kext's you are using and your DSDT? Also which bootloader you are using (and plist files).

I have been trying to get it working; and my attempts are listed below.

Hello,

I've been trying to get ML running for the past 4 days, but after countless of fresh re-installs and trying different DSDT and kexts from this thread, I still can't get a fully working system

The model I have is the UX31A (Touch). To my knowledge there is no difference from the normal UX31A and the touch (aside from the touch screen).

I have tried unib3ast, myHack, and clover to try and install 10.8 onto my laptop. The only way I was able to boot into OSX without any KP or hangs was to use the following method:

Create install USB stick with myHack, and boot with said created USB. Run installer using -f and install OSX.
After install, boot OSX using -f, install Clover, then open myHack application, install Chameleon (this step might have been needed?), and install "Extras" (Generic from myHack).

Drop DSDT12.aml (renamed to DSDT.aml) into \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched

Go into bios and point to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64,efi.

After doing so, I was able to boot into OSX without having to use any special boot commands.

If I did not install Chameleon and install "Extras", and only installed Clover, dropped dsdt, and pointed BIOS to bootx64.efi, Clover would begin to boot but then KP and restart on it's own.

After all of this, I would drop the kext's from from OP's original post into S/L/E, and rebuild cache. Upon doing so, there are still many things that do not work (sound, F-keys (except for F7), brightness)

I have also installed the Elan kext's from osxlatitude (i installed the v4, and v2 when that didnt work), but I could not get multi touch to work.

EDIT: Also, are there many things broken if I update to 10.9? Or will the kexts and DSDT's that work with 10.8 be fine?

Can anyone who has successfully got a UX31A fully working, or at least close to full please post the kext's you are using and your DSDT? Also which bootloader you are using (and plist files).

I have been trying to get it working; and my attempts are listed below.

Hello,

I've been trying to get ML running for the past 4 days, but after countless of fresh re-installs and trying different DSDT and kexts from this thread, I still can't get a fully working system

The model I have is the UX31A (Touch). To my knowledge there is no difference from the normal UX31A and the touch (aside from the touch screen).

I have tried unib3ast, myHack, and clover to try and install 10.8 onto my laptop. The only way I was able to boot into OSX without any KP or hangs was to use the following method:

Create install USB stick with myHack, and boot with said created USB. Run installer using -f and install OSX.

After install, boot OSX using -f, install Clover, then open myHack application, install Chameleon (this step might have been needed?), and install "Extras" (Generic from myHack).

Drop DSDT12.aml (renamed to DSDT.aml) into \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched

Go into bios and point to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64,efi.

After doing so, I was able to boot into OSX without having to use any special boot commands.

If I did not install Chameleon and install "Extras", and only installed Clover, dropped dsdt, and pointed BIOS to bootx64.efi, Clover would begin to boot but then KP and restart on it's own.

After all of this, I would drop the kext's from from OP's original post into S/L/E, and rebuild cache. Upon doing so, there are still many things that do not work (sound, F-keys (except for F7), brightness)

I have also installed the Elan kext's from osxlatitude (i installed the v4, and v2 when that didnt work), but I could not get multi touch to work.

EDIT: Also, are there many things broken if I update to 10.9? Or will the kexts and DSDT's that work with 10.8 be fine?

Fully work with 10.9 (except SD Card Reader). Can update from App Store like Real Macbook.

UX31A.zip

• Like 2

Don't like to sound like a beggar, but I have tried many methods for installation and have literally read through the thread but the slight imperfections just was a deal breaker for me. Does anyone have a fully or near full install pack/guide for a UX32VD on 10.9 (preferred) or 10.8 with i7 and nvidia 620m? Thanks

Here is a good guide for a first install for Zenbook UX31 and UX32 (delete geforce.kext) :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287902-3hours-to-have-108-working-on-zenbook-ux31a/

3hours to have 10.8 working on ZENBOOK UX31A
Started by chris1948Apr 14 2013 10:38 PM

If you have a working Windows partition.

• The first step is to get Clover working from a USB key.
  • The second step is to create a new NTFS partition, from windows, for OSX.
  • Then, you are ready to roll.

Fix keyboard backlight dont restore the state when wake on LID. Now when open lid, the keyboard backlight accurately restore the state before sleep. Must apply this patch first http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283038-zenbook-prime-fixes-mods-tweaks-etc/?p=1955912

Search:

WRAM (0x044B, KBBR)

Repace:

If (LGreater (KBBR, Zero))
                {
                    WRAM (0x044B, KBBR)
                }
                Else
                {
                    WRAM (0x044B, KLDT)
                }
  • Like 1