ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Wifi centrino N 6235 : Did not succeed making it appear as LAN0.

I was hopeful at first since 68x' DSDT made the card appears as Atheros.

Unfortunately EFIStudio would not see it. Therfore, i could not generate the EFIString to fix iCloud. BTW it does not see the HD4000 card.

I asked rampagedev at http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/ if I could make a fake LAN0 since he showed how to make a virtual audio output.

He confirmed what 68x and bajito93 said : replace the centrino card !

I saw Thomas2111' schematics. He recommanded the Atheros + Bluetooth 3.0.

Concerning antennas, connectors and wiring, Any advice ?

The antenna connectors on our laptops are small compared to the ones found on eBay. The trick is to modify the Atheros card, you will have to remove the outer rings on the card (be very careful when removing the outer rings).

I found a video demonstrating such a modification. This video gives more information, although it may/not be useful (the modified card is not shown):

There is also more info here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283038-zenbook-prime-fixes-mods-tweaks-etc/page-22?do=findComment&comment=1911977

Thank you 68x,

Taking into account the return of experience from many Zenbook users, I will change the Centrino N 6235 by an Atheros wifi + Bluetooth 3.0 since I have a UX31A. The Atheros AR5B195 card has been already added in 68x' DSDT ^_^  

I just hope to also get bluetooth running.

Concerning the antenna connector mismatch, I will follow 68x' advice and choose joefitz' approach : pry open the connectors on the Atheros card. It may require patience but it seems easier than running another antenna pair inside the zenbook.

Got wifi working well without any permanent changes for <$10.

Buy one of the atheros minipcie boards that work. the antenna connector is too big for the wires in the case. On the replacement board, get a tiny flathead screwdriver, and completely pry off the outer circle of metal from each of the antenna connectors. You'll be left with the little thing in the middle that receives the pin.

Here is the list of compatible Mini PCIe compatible card recommended from a previous post :

Take a look at this chart, http://i.imgur.com/AP72oDE.jpg, I do not take credit for it. Most of the half-mini Atheros card usually work either natively or via kext edits.

I recommend using MaciASL for DSDT editing. It has an extremely handy feature; it allows you to add patch repos.

I've created one that you can stream line adding the general features such as battery edits and edits needed for Fn keys.

Open up MaciASL, then go to the "Preferences" and click on "Sources".

Under "Sources" add this URL: http://fatalfatalis.ca/laptop.

I will be adding all the generic edits. Please note that editing DSDTs still requires you to do the editing, this was meant to help making DSDTs easier.

• Like 3

guys I'm using a usb-wifi Edimax EW-7811Un. It works by installing the drivers from the site. How can I get mac app store? If I try to access gives me "unknown error".

Again, not to sound rude, you NEED to read this thread. Even searching will answer this question very easily.

Most of the issues are already addressed in the past few pages of this thread.

Hello, I installed Chameleon-2.2svn-r2255. The problems mentioned in the first bootup is almost gone, there are only the following:

25/08/13 17:14:15,000 kernel[0]: WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
25/08/13 17:14:15,000 kernel[0]: -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

Thank you very much

Guys I've updated Ml 10.8.4 but I've the same warnings at startup, someone could help me to solve the problem?

I attach the extra folder and my ioreg update.

Thank you all.

Again, not to sound rude, you NEED to read this thread. Even searching will answer this question very easily.

Most of the issues are already addressed in the past few pages of this thread.

I read all the pages of the thread, I have a usb-wifi perfectly compatible with ML, there is no way to run app store with this? If the only way is to change wifi card you could recommend a card is easy to install?
Also I do not think I read something to solve the problem dimensioned by me above, could you help me?

Thank you again.

can better explain the procedure?

The companion 68x already explained in the previous page, you have to read a bit ...

The antenna connectors on our laptops are small compared to the ones found on eBay. The trick is to modify the Atheros card, you will have to remove the outer rings on the card (be very careful when removing the outer rings).

I found a video demonstrating such a modification. This video gives more information, although it may/not be useful (the modified card is not shown):

There is also more info here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283038-zenbook-prime-fixes-mods-tweaks-etc/page-22?do=findComment&comment=1911977

Atheros 9285 : easy way to get iCloud iMessage ...

I started to pry open the antenna connectors as suggested and got the central pin accessible.

I open the zenbook with a small torX screwdriver.

The centrino card is very accessible. I performed the switch and used tape as suggested again.

I installed the IO82000 kext and got airport in the menu bar.

iCloud worked right away ;)

The only drawback is that Wifi signal is weaker. I ended up reinstall a wifi USB dongle to get a more descent wifi when I am to far way from the source.

A big thanks to the above posts contributors (especially 68x and Thomas)

------------------

Dsdt patching

I have attached the necessary DSDT edits needed for Fn+F7 to work in ML. This also enables lid sleep to work. In Mavericks, this is not needed.

All credits go to Qwerty12 and fvl.

I have also attached the DSDT edits needed for the ALS device.

I used MacIasl. The patch repo works well and I was able to add them one by one.

I found some compiling errors after patching.

For example SPUN and RPUN were detected as errors. Had to rename them as SPIN and RPIN to be consistent with Ux31a DSDT. However, 68x DSDT uses the former name syntax.

Same goes with B1B2.

Could someone please post an untouched Ux32vd DSDT ?

I would like to compare differences with UX31/UX21.

SSDT, for each processor family can be extracted or generated. I tried different approaches but no SpeedStep as many stated in other posts. Has anyone achieved SpeedStep with Ivy Bridge SMBIOS ?

• Like 1

Here's the SSDT generating script, https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/RevoBoot/blob/clang/i386/libsaio/acpi/ssdt_pr_generator.h

All you have to do is make a new .sh file, then do sh ./shell-file-name.sh

It will create the SSDT (check for a file named ssdt_pr.aml) in your Desktop folder. From there, all you have to do, is just copy it to your Extra folder and rename it to SSDT.aml.

This will enable native speed step and power management.

Speedstep and turbo working on zenbook Ux31a

I followed 68x' direction and generated a SSDT_pr.aml. - Thank you 68x for your valuable help.

Here is another link for more details http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/86807-ml-native-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

I have MacBookAir5,2 as SMBIOS

The shell Script said it was not found in S L CoreService Platform.plist.

I added it (two lines are needed).

I reran the script again, just got an information on a CPU difference since I have an i5 3317u, not an i5 3337u.

I renamed the file as SSDT.aml and put it in EFI CLOVER ACPI patched. (Extra for chameleon)

I chose dropOemSsdt True and GenerateIvyStates True and P And C states to False

After reboot HW Monitor confirmed success.

I think sleep is no longer working. I have to check that next.

Speedstep and turbo working on zenbook Ux31a

I followed 68x' direction and generated a SSDT_pr.aml. - Thank you 68x for your valuable help.

Here is another link for more details http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/86807-ml-native-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

I have MacBookAir5,2 as SMBIOS

The shell Script said it was not found in S L CoreService Platform.plist.

I added it (two lines are needed).

I reran the script again, just got an information on a CPU difference since I have an i5 3317u, not an i5 3337u.

I renamed the file as SSDT.aml and put it in EFI CLOVER ACPI patched. (Extra for chameleon)

I chose dropOemSsdt True and GenerateIvyStates True and P And C states to False

After reboot HW Monitor confirmed success.

I think sleep is no longer working. I have to check that next.

If you are using Clover, stop using the generated SSDT. Clover does a better job of generating the states.

I also recommend dumping your SSDT from Linux and create SSDT-x.aml files with the exported functions (these are needed by the DSDT).

SpeedStep, turbo AND Sleep :

Thank you 68x for your advice to rely on Clover to generate states.

I have generated ssdt-x files from Windows using AIDA64. I will use them again instead of the script created ssdt_pr.aml (with DropOemSsdt = true)

For Clover, If I understand correctly, I should set DropOemSsdt to false, GenerateIvyStates to true (and Generate P / C state to false) while having ssdt-x.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

I had sleep before and I am using the stock AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.8.4.

I'll edit this post if the above configuration is not working as it should (e.g. patched AICPM required).

BTW when I lost sleep capabilities yesterday, I could not boot back correctly. I had problems with fsck with an error with threads that could not be corrected. Tried with DiskUtility and other tools for more than an hour and ended up reformating again.

It seems that current disk repair tools in general have not yet progress to match SSD drive specificity. It's the second time I face errors due to force manual shutdown. Last time I lost some links that generated errors during boot. Disk structure was OK that time but I had to reinstall again. I know I have two OS X partition it case it happens again. It will be useful for a coming Maverick Install. 

DSDT compare between UX31A, UX32VD and with different Bios versions

First, differences between UX31 and UX32 (both 68x fixed DSDT and unmodified Bios 214)

OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0xDA8A1E18, 0x01D1) // UX31

OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0xCA878E18, 0x01D1) :: UX32

Device (PEGP)

Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)  // _ADR: Address 0xFFFF UX31 and Zero UX32

Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings

CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.HPET._Y10._BAS, HPT0)  // UX31 while _INT UX32

Scope (_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0)

Name (PWAC, Buffer (0x40)

/* 0000 */   0x1B, 0x2E, 0x3B, 0x48, 0x55, 0x61, 0x6E, 0x7B,   //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

/* 0008 */   0x9A, 0xC5, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF,   //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

/* 0010 */   0x11, 0x21, 0x2F, 0x40, 0x4E, 0x5F, 0x6D, 0x7B,   //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

Scope (\)

Name (CNTB, Buffer (0x0E)

/* 0000 */   0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00,  //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

/* 0008 */   0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00               //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

Name (VISB, Buffer (0x0E)

/* 0000 */   0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,   //Ux31a giofrida bios 212

Device (PS2M)

Method (_HID, 0, NotSerialized)  // _HID: Hardware ID

Return (0x240A2E4F)                     // UX31 while 18 UX32

Edit specific to 68x patched DSDT

• two Sleep (0x01F4) instead of Sleep (0x0DAC), but not for WakeOnLAN section ?
  • IRQNoFlags () in Device HPET which may not be necessary according to MacIASL HPET patch ?
  • SPIN and RPIN names seem to have be left cohabiting with SPUN and RPUN, may be for a good reason ?

Finally A solution for FakeSMC 2.4.2 ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]) warning messages

I used iasl -e ssdt-12.aml -d DSDT68x.aml

and then iasl -e ssdt-12.aml -sa DSDT68x_withExternal.dsl

As a result I have the following dls (with External PDC0,.. with IntObj)  ;)

* iASL Warning: There were 2 external control methods found during
     * disassembly, but only 1 was resolved (1 unresolved)            // One resolved with ssdt link
    External (HNOT, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unresolved Method, guessing 1 arguments (may be incorrect, see warning above)

External (_PR_.CPU0._PSS, IntObj)
    External (_PR_.CPU0._TSS, IntObj)
    External (_SB_.IFFS.FFSS, FieldUnitObj)
    External (_SB_.IFFS.SFTV, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments
    External (PDC0, IntObj)
    External (PDC1, IntObj)
    External (PDC2, IntObj)
    External (PDC3, IntObj)
    External (PDC4, IntObj)
    External (PDC5, IntObj)
    External (PDC6, IntObj)
    External (PDC7, IntObj)

However, when I do all these modification together, I loose FN keys. I don't know why yet.

I would also like to apply MacIASL recommended patch "Name->String" to have proper Mac names.

For example I read that HD 40000 should be IGPU instead of  GFX0.

DSDT (version 25 Sept 8th 2013)  - UX31A (Bios 212-219)

This version is adapted from 68x' DSDT (UX32VD See post "Update.zip") .

I added the following patches :

- External PDCx : add IntObjt to solve LMU warning messages with FakeSMC version 2.4.2.

- Battery BIX edit made available by 68x

- MHCH (generic MacIASL patch)

- SMBUS (generic MacIASL patch)

- GFX0 -> IGPU for supposedly better HD4000 detection

- Name->String for more Mac compliant naming format

I did as little modification as I could. For example, I did not modify any edit specific to 68x patched DSDT including : 

• two Sleep (0x01F4) instead of Sleep (0x0DAC), but not for WakeOnLAN section ?
  • IRQNoFlags () in Device HPET which may not be necessary according to MacIASL HPET patch ?
  • SPIN and RPIN names seem to have be left cohabiting with SPUN and RPUN, may be for a good reason ?

68x : I recommend using MaciASL for DSDT editing. It has an extremely handy feature; it allows you to add patch repos.

I've created one that you can stream line adding the general features such as battery edits and edits needed for Fn keys.

Open up MaciASL, then go to the "Preferences" and click on "Sources".

Under "Sources" add this URL: http://fatalfatalis.ca/laptop.

I will be adding all the generic edits. Please note that editing DSDTs still requires you to do the editing, this was meant to help making DSDTs easier.

DSDT25.8sept2013.zip