ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Maybe try update bios firmware to latest version first?

Hello everyone, I have installed on my Asus UX32VD ML 10.8 Retail without any problems.

Once installed the ML Bios does not see the SSD to set it as boot, I realized that I do not see why the partition scheme is GUID, if it imposed on MSDOS sees it.

So you will understand that even installing the bootloader on the ssd (where ML is installed) then I have no way to start it, so I tried to install Chimera on a partition located on the second HD in MSDOS, the bootloader is installed correctly, but despite the BIOS sees the HD does not start, giving me back this message "this is not a bootable disk". So for now I can start ML only via usb.

What can I do?

Thank you all.

I enclose two photos of the Bios for greater clarification, notice to those settings where he speaks of EFI it may be the problem. (The Hitachi HD you see is the magnetic field, ML is installed in San Disk SSD)

What could be the reason for such huge price for this card?

If you are looking for a 802.11 AC /  BT 4.0 combo card, you may want to check this out:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

Although, it is ~$96 USD.

The BIOS is updated to the latest version provided by asus, ie 214

MBR is what you want, I suggest you install ML on the HDD (GPT) and install chameleon conto the iSSD (MBR).

I already tried to install chameleon in a second partition mbr formatted fat 32, it installs but then to start appears this message: "this is not a bootlable disk. I think the problem is due to the Bios which has the efi boot.

Which 8 GB RAM to alternatively buy instead, please?

Your RAM is 4GB compared to 68x's 10GB so that changes things in the DSDT.

In Windows:

• grab iASL
  • run iasl -g to dump your "natural" DSDT
  • compile it with iasl dsdt_Notebook.dsl (or whatever it is on your Zenbook)
  • realise that there's errors to be fixed so go back and fix it (use 68x's DSDT - decompiled of course - as a reference)
  • attempt to compile it again
  • assuming no errors, decompile the just-compiled dsdt: iasl -d dsdt.aml
  • use a file comparison tool to compare the your laptop's "normal" DSDT with 68x's. Beyond Compare is very good but not free or there's the tried-and-true diff -u (yes, you want to use the -u switch) which can be found in pretty much any GNU tools for Windows installer, like msysgit... its output can be redirected to a file and Notepad2-mod can open the diff with syntax-highlighting
You're looking for differences in things like OperationRegions etc. I don't know exactly what changes to look for, since I've only ever used my own DSDT table with my laptop. Find the correct values from your DSDT, put them into 68x's DSDT, compile 68x's DSDT and try booting with the new DSDT table.

I already tried to install chameleon in a second partition mbr formatted fat 32, it installs but then to start appears this message: "this is not a bootlable disk. I think the problem is due to the Bios which has the efi boot.

Try formatting to HFS+ instead of FAT32.

I solved the problem by modifying the installation of ML to install on MBR disks :) Please could you attach the DSDT.aml , org.chamaleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist for UX32VD (core i5). I tried some of you posted, but there are too many and I do not know which is better.   Thank you all.

I solved the problem by modifying the installation of ML to install on MBR disks :) Please could you attach the DSDT.aml , org.chamaleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist for UX32VD (core i5). I tried some of you posted, but there are too many and I do not know which is better.   Thank you all.

Go back a couple of pages, download the necessary files from there. Note that the DSDT was made for the Asus Zenboook UX32VD.

Isn't this type of patching too much risky?

What if you would upload corrupted bios firmware? Is there a way how to get back with factory firmware?

I want you all to know that I patched my UX32VD-DB71 BIOS (214) successfully with PMPatch. It's about to get real interesting! =)

Isn't this type of patching too much risky?

What if you would upload corrupted bios firmware? Is there a way how to get back with factory firmware?

You have to be very very careful when flashing it on our laptops.

I've done it via my desktop. I have an ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard, but it has better preventive options. If anything goes wrong, I can use BIOS flashback feature. Also, looks like qwerty12 on here does BIOS hacking and is running 10.9 from his sig. If BIOS hacking works properly, then it will make our system more "vanilla" in the end, so I'm all for it!

Back to our laptops, you can dump your BIOS, with the PMPatch tool you can patch it and if you get a successful and valid BIOS, you can flash and cross your fingers. I've been reading about it for a while and found people doing it with success so I decided to bite the bullet. This thread gave me a lot of hope: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/707826-asus-zenbook-bios-firmware-modding-thread.html

I know if we are able to modify the BIOS to enable certain options, we can get closer to a DSDT-free or a more closer to Vanilla build.

On my desktop, I run a 90% vanilla build. I can install all updates without worrying about kexts and S/L/E corruptions. I've done Time Machine restores with minor hiccups but everything works like a Mac with some modifications. I hope to accomplish that with the Zenbook as well.

I need your help and guidance to accomplish that. I need to know why we have certain issues without kext and can those errors be eliminated with certain BIOS options and so on. If anyone has the balls to attempt BIOS hacking, I can show you the ways as well. ;)

• Like 1

I have an ASUS UX32VD-DB71: i7-3517U with the Corsair Vengence 8GB module (10GB RAM total) with a OCZ Vertez 4 512GB SSD.

I don't want to throw all your /Extra's or kexts to make things work but rather patch everything myself and maybe create a guide for all users with UX32VD from beginning to end.

My goal is to dual boot OSX mainly and Windows 8 Pro when necessary. So far, I installed OSX 10.8.2 through USB on SSD with GUID/GPT option (partitioned OSX 350GB/MSDOS FAT Remaining). Restarted and installed USB to Ethernet AX kext, created /Extras folder, dumped my DSDT and compiled it with MaciASL (without any patches yet) to put in /Extras, copied 68x's SSDT to /Extra, and edited 'Graphics Mode' to 1920x1080x32 . So, I have internet and 1080 resolution now. What's the next recommendation?

I know I'm supposed to install Windows before OSX but I want to get OSX working perfect before I go that route. I plan to re-install OSX one more time once we have everything sorted out.

I have attached my latest DSDT and updated IONetworkingFamily (needed for USB Ethernet).

My DSDT fixes the FN key error (FN + F2 light WILL not light up at boot) and removed all warnings in the DSDT.

Thank you! I'll take a look at it.

Can anyone explain how to install a bootloader??
I installed Mountain Lion Retail, both GPT (after the bios does not recognize the disc), as in MBR (patching two files with USB).
Now I have it installed on MBR, the BIOS recognizes me hard, but when you install a bootloader (chimera, chemeleon ...) I boot from the disk and I get "boot0: error" (I have two partitions, the other wanted to put windows)

How to fix the bootloader issue? If I boot from the usb installation (made with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) I get the reinstall mac mac or boot from the disk, I have "boot from disk" (which is already installed) without any boot flag starts without problems.

I hope someone can help me no longer do I keep reading and reading, but I am a rookie.

Guys please help. I have tried many of your attachments to try to solve my problems, but no result.

What I have to solve is:

- Sometimes in the Boot I have black screen, trying repeatedly fails to boot.

- Very often the computer does not turn off and restart but comes out a blank screen after a few minutes and returns to the login screen.

- Does not work the FN key to adjust the brightness of the keyboard.

thanks to all

I attach DSDT, IOREG, org.Chameleon, smbios

MacBook Air.zip

Check if you have this device inside your DSDT, "Device (PNLF)".

That enables backlight control. Also, check if you have proper DSDT edits for functions _Q0E and _Q0F are EXACTLY this:

Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)            {                If (ATKP)                {                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x20)                }             }              Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)            {                If (ATKP)                {                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x11)                }             }

I suggest you read my above comment. Also, check if you have proper DSDT edits for functions _Q0E and _Q0F are EXACTLY this:

Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (ATKP)
                {
                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x20)
                } 
            }

Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (ATKP)
                {
                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x11)
                } 
            }

Thank you for your help. I checked the DSDT and functions _Q0E and _Q0F are present. also the PNLF device is present (see attached photo)

post-909440-13764411341904_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your help. I checked the DSDT and functions _Q0E and _Q0F are present. also the PNLF device is present (see attached photo)

I took a look at your (an old copy of a DSDT I posted back in June/July). I HIGHLY suggest you download the one on the previous page.

I took a look at your (an old copy of a DSDT I posted back in June/July). I HIGHLY suggest you download the one on the previous page.

Just tried it, does not seem to have changed anything. Very often the Pc does not turn off (or just takes several minutes). The keyboard backlight works but I can not adjust the brightness.

I confirn a successful installation of mountain lion 10.8.4 on zenbook prime ux31a

I did a slight variation of Chris Geneva's thread (ux31a ML installation)

I kept Windows 8 original installation, resized c: from windows to create a d: partition.

Then I used clover, installed OsX and copied clover onto the existing EFI partition, next to Windows UEFI boot loader.

Next step is DSDT edit to get FN keys working...

Rom1

• Like 1

Could you attach your AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext

Thank you.

I have a patched bios, so I can use native AICPM.kext I recommend you to go onto osx86.net and download a patched 10.8 copy from there.

I have a patched bios, so I can use native AICPM.kext I recommend you to go onto osx86.net and download a patched 10.8 copy from there.

What do you mean by a patched BIOS ? How can you modify it for the ASUS laptops ? Do you have a link for the procedure ?

Thx

Adi