ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Guys, following the simple steps that I followed to solve the black screen at boot.

- I use Clover bootloader (rev. 2236), you can also try with Chameleon, I do not know if it will work.

- Download and Install Mavericks, I simply restored the image baseSysytem.dmg on a HD partition (on USB key did not work).

- I left all the original kexts, but I eliminated all those about the nVidia card (gerorce.kext ...).

- I am using dsdt.aml ssdt.aml and config.plist that you find in the attached file.

Thanks to Rom1 first, and 68x

Files.zip

• Like 1

I'll cave in and ask for some help.

I've had a perfectly working 10.8 working for quite a while now, but I decided it was time for Mavericks. I did everything that was done previously and I have it booting without any issues or kernel panics. However there is a gigantic problem with the screen.

The screen glitches up like all hell, once in a while it might be completely normal like it's supposed to be, but most of the time it's a scrambled mess. I can't remembering having this problem on the previous install, and if I did, I don't remember how I fixed it. 

I assumed this might be because I'm using 68x' old 211 DSDT and not my own (running 214), and thus I started on the path to patch my own DSDT. While I did get MaciASL to compile the thing after a lot of copy pasting, learning and comparing, and while it did patch properly for the most part (the battery patch was a mess to fix through comparison with Rom1's UX31A DSDT and 68x' 211 DSDT) it won't boot.

So I decided to try out Chameleon's "IntelCapriFB" argument to maybe work, but it didn't do anything. I tried Chim... yeah you know what's "IGPEnabler" didn't help either. I tried Clover and all I got was "the black screen" like shown a little up (no, the fixes didn't fix it and neither did Mavericks unfortunately). 

And here I am, still having the same graphical issues. Anyone had similar flickering with their HD4000? I know the problem is without a doubt OS X, as any GNU/Linux distro works perfectly fine. If anyone could give any form of hint or advice it would help a lot!

I've attached the original DSDT dump (BIOS 214), the DSDT after fixing the normal compiler errors (that comes with the DSDT without patching anything), the unsuccessful DSDT modification and a few pictures of the problem. 

UX32VD

i7 3517U

10GB Ram

Used myHack to install the OS.

Added kexts: lspcidrv, Patched_10_7_AppleRTC (both in /E/E)

ACPIBatteryManager, GenericUSBXHCI, AsusNBFnKeys, AppleHDA, ElanTouchpad, FakeSMC, non-patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (patched BIOS). (All in /S/L/E/)

Removed all the GeForce and "NV*" kexts from /S/L/E.

Thank you!

Of DSDT and Failure.zip

Guys, following the simple steps that I followed to solve the black screen at boot.

- I use Clover bootloader (rev. 2236), you can also try with Chameleon, I do not know if it will work.

- Download and Install Mavericks, I simply restored the image baseSysytem.dmg on a HD partition (on USB key did not work).

- I left all the original kexts, but I eliminated all those about the nVidia card (gerorce.kext ...).

- I am using dsdt.aml ssdt.aml and config.plist that you find in the attached file.

Thanks to Rom1 first, and 68x

I install mavericks in GPT (GUID) and use clover like you, and use your files, but when i go to system information, i have the black screen :/

I delete the nvidia kext (GeForce.kext, GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceGLDriver.bundle, GeForceTesla.kext, GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle, GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle) seven files in S/L/E

I follow your steps but the problem not fix for my.

EDIT: This steps only fix the black screen problem at boot or all black screen problem?

Guys, please help me with bootloader. I don't know what I doing wrong, but I tried all of them and can't boot from SSD. May be I need to know something about UX31A BIOS, because I don't understood what I need to do with Boot section. I tried to setup Clover and add \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi but still don't have any positive result. 

Guys, please help me with bootloader. I don't know what I doing wrong, but I tried all of them and can't boot from SSD. May be I need to know something about UX31A BIOS, because I don't understood what I need to do with Boot section. I tried to setup Clover and add \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi but still don't have any positive result.

i suggest install os x in mbr an use chameleon, the bios only recognize mbr partition table to boot disk

i suggest install os x in mbr an use chameleon, the bios only recognize mbr partition table to boot disk

Wow. In all manuals I saw recommendation to use GPT. So I need to reinstall os x in MBR?

Wow. In all manuals I saw recommendation to use GPT. So I need to reinstall os x in MBR?

Stop. I can't install os x on MBR, because setup tell me use only GUID... Can you explain me what I don't understood?

Not true. The BIOS recognizes GUID partitions just fine. The key here is that the EFI partition MUST be formatted in FAT32. Place your Clover folders in there and the BIOS will boot it with no problems.

Works fine on my UX31A BIOS 219.

Adi

yes you can format EFi in fat32 or hfs and you can boot os x

but i prefer mbr because i can install both system (windows and mac)

Windows (W8, W7 64bit) can also be installed on GPT. But you must make USB installer with UEFI boot support (google to know how).

Stop. I can't install os x on MBR, because setup tell me use only GUID... Can you explain me what I don't understood?

Enter Bios -> Boot -> Add New Boot Option. Fill the form:

1. Whatever (eg: Clover)

2. Select EFI partition

3. Exactly: \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI

Save, reboot and enjoy. It should work.

I'll cave in and ask for some help.

-SNIP-

After some screwdriver (it's censored, don't ask me) around I finally got this thing working. I dunno why, but the "-F" argument (capital F) solved the graphics problem. Why? I have no idea. Can it be fixed so -F isn't necessary? Hopefully. So if anyone have any input how to solve that I'd be grateful. Actually it didn't solve the problem. But I have started to get the errors far less for some bizarre reason. IntelInject-IG=090066001 seems to help for the most part. 

I did "fix" the DSDT, but I made it way too similar too 68x' and in the end only a few lines were changed, which resulted in the RehabMan Battery Kext to not work properly. So I dunno if it is even worth posting. I bet if I had changed a bit more on it it would just be a 1:1 clone with the one difference of "211" to "214" which is pretty much a useless variable in what looks like a pretty useless method.

It was interesting to try to edit DSDTs, but I can't make god-like DSDTs and patches like 68x, qwerty12, RehabMan and Rom1 manages to do when I can't write ASL and dunno what the hell I'm even doing. If I knew that I'd probably be able to patch the things properly. So I'll leave the DSDT editing to the pros.

Enter Bios -> Boot -> Add New Boot Option. Fill the form:

1. Whatever (eg: Clover)

2. Select EFI partition

3. Exactly: \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI

Save, reboot and enjoy. It should work.

Oh, man... I already tried to copy /EFI to FAT32 bootable partition and now I can see Clover GUI. But when I select "Boot Mac OS X from Mavericks" (Mavericks it is a main partition with OS X) I see only black screen and after few seconds again Clover GUI. What I did wrong?

clover works with UEFI bios.

EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi is set for Windows boot on Ux31a.

In Bios setup you should see other paths. If you have a USB key with Clover you will notice a different path.

Try the following path, if it matches your configuration:

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi

ok, now all works fine! Many thanks to all who tried to help me. But now I have very strange issue - I can't login in to AppStore, iCloud and etc. Why? I received very strange error "Unknown error".

ok, now all works fine! Many thanks to all who tried to help me. But now I have very strange issue - I can't login in to AppStore, iCloud and etc. Why? I received very strange error "Unknown error".

you need change the wifi card, i recommend the atheros ar5b195, its a cheap wifi card

Fully work with 10.9 (except SD Card Reader). Can update from App Store like Real Macbook.

attachicon.gifUX31A.zip

Man, you are great! Many thanks! Only one problem now - with App Store access. :)

you need change the wifi card, i recommend the atheros ar5b195, its a cheap wifi card

I use external ethernet. May be you know it is USB ethernet for UX31A. I saw some solutions about fix this problem in ML, but can't find in Mavericks these files.

Man, you are great! Many thanks! Only one problem now - with App Store access. :)

I use external ethernet. May be you know it is USB ethernet for UX31A. I saw some solutions about fix this problem in ML, but can't find in Mavericks these files.

Impossible! Require a built-in ethernet, replace your wifi card.

you need a internal wifi card not work with a external

Impossible! Require a built-in ethernet.

Thank you guys, now I understood. May be you know some good internal WiFi+Bluetooth for my UX31A?

By the way... before I installed Mac OS X on my laptop - I used VmWare Mac OS Mavericks and... you know - AppStore and iCloud worked. 

Unfortunately today sound card stop working. I'm surprized because yesterday all worked fine. I don't have any ideas what happend.

Notice - new kext com.apple.driver.LegacyAppleHDA, v8.8.8 matches prelinked kext but can't determine if executables are the same (no UUIDs).

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDA]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDA]: __ZN28IOAudioTimeIntervalFilterIIR9metaClassE

Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDA - link failed.

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDA.

Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDA failed to load (0xdc008016).

Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (error 0xdc008016).