10.6.3 Released !

commissio

293 posts in this topic

Hi,

forgot I was on the hackintosh and not the mac and accepted update without thinking - vanilla 10.6 with software updates from apple 10.6.1 and 10.6.2, P5Q Pro, Nvidia 9800GT, etc. Seems to boot fine (I can ssh into it) but blank screen. Any pointers?

Thanks!

UPDATE: just remembered - had 9800gt installed adding the string with osx86tools. Can't remember how I did it, but can it be reproduced somehow?

I had the same problem(blank screen) with similar hardware (Asus p5k-e, nVidia 9800gt) when I upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3.

But when I removed the second monitor from the 2nd dvi port, I could boot normally.

So try to boot with only one monitor attached.

I found this in the console after the update:

2010.03.30. 14:40:00 kernel ERROR: VendorAccelerator::set_display_mode_and_vram() call to fFramebuffers[1].framebuffer->getPixelInformation() result: 0xE00002F0

It's appearing on every start, I tried to change the ATIframebuffer.kext to the 10.6.2 one, but then there is no screen.

Any way to get it fixed?

The display works perfect, just this message appearing on every start. :(

I had the same problem(blank screen) with similar hardware (Asus p5k-e, nVidia 9800gt) when I upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3.

But when I removed the second monitor from the 2nd dvi port, I could boot normally.

So try to boot with only one monitor attached.

Do you have HDMI output/adapter, it seems thats HDMI is the problem ... same here GF 8600, cant use my Tv and no clue...

Do you have HDMI output/adapter, it seems thats HDMI is the problem ... same here GF 8600, cant use my Tv and no clue...

Same here. Also tried using the 10.6.1 kexts and it still blank screens on boot. This is why I was worried about using the 10.6.1 method in 10.6.2.

Sleep, you mates tried it?

Good to hear, by default if you launch kext utility, it will look and fix /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra/Extensions automatically. In some special cases, like you install Extra onto a separate parition, then you still need to drag and drop it ont kext utility. it's highly recommended.

Specs:

Gigabyte-X58A-UD7

Core i7 920

Inno3D 9800GT 1GB running DVI/HDMI (Was using 10.6.1 nvidia kexts as blank screen)

(All working fine in 10.6.2)

Updated using combo update and here are my experiences:

Booted into blank screen/no signal as I expected. So tried changing to 10.6.1 kexts again and then system kernel panics on black screen with mouse pointer. References something to do with WindowServer.

Have now restored to 10.6.2 and am awaiting help...or maybe I'll be forced to get another new gfx card ;)

Anyone with a similar setup?

I have a 9800GT 1024 mb card in my C2Duo system with only 1 monitor A Dvi to hdmi cable (I use this system as a HTPC)

I get the blank screen problem also) Are there any low power Gt260 out there?

Same problem here. Blank screen after update.

nvidia 250 gts and hdmi monitor.

I have to use dvi2vga

You guys with black screen problems are you using Chameleon RC2 and above or PC EFI 10.5 /6 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes as a boot argument or have you tried it yet?

I'm using no NVEnabler Kext or DSDT patch, just GraphicsEnabler and vanilla kext for my GTX 260 and have had no problems !

If GraphicsEnabler=Yes does not work then try GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PciRoot=1 for Chameleon or -pci1 for PC EFI

D.

You guys with black screen problems are you using Chameleon RC2 and above or PC EFI 10.5 /6 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes as a boot argument or have you tried it yet?

I'm using no NVEnabler Kext or DSDT patch, just GraphicsEnabler and vanilla kext for my GTX 260 and have had no problems !

If GraphicsEnabler=Yes does not work then try GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PciRoot=1 for Chameleon or -pci1 for PC EFI

D.

Problem is with hdmi monitor...

D.

I believe the issue is specific to HDMI out. If you are using an DVI to HDMI cable with an HDMI monitor or TV then the display locks. (i.e. Blank / black screen / power save mode) Unplugging the HDMI after it has locked does not resolve the issue. The only way to recover is to reboot the system with either a DVI only Monitor or a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the VGA input on any monitor of your choice.

I have a dual screen setup.. one is DVI only and the other is HDMI only with a DVI to HDMI adapter on a GeForce 9800 GT and both screens lock on boot if the HDMI monitor is attached. Unplugging the HDMI and the system boots fine... attaching VGA to the HDMI monitor also works but the video quality is significantly worse.

I'd love to find a solution...

It's a no go for me,Installed 10.6.3 rebooted an got KP,also saw something bout sleepenabler & No OS??I went back to 10.6.2.I read u must remove sleepenabler,so should i remove it from System/Extension?Any Suggestions?Here is what my E/E folder has,and the rest ins in my Sig.

ALC889a.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I believe the issue is specific to HDMI out. If you are using an DVI to HDMI cable with an HDMI monitor or TV then the display locks. (i.e. Blank / black screen / power save mode) Unplugging the HDMI after it has locked does not resolve the issue. The only way to recover is to reboot the system with either a DVI only Monitor or a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the VGA input on any monitor of your choice.

I have a dual screen setup.. one is DVI only and the other is HDMI only with a DVI to HDMI adapter on a GeForce 9800 GT and both screens lock on boot if the HDMI monitor is attached. Unplugging the HDMI and the system boots fine... attaching VGA to the HDMI monitor also works but the video quality is significantly worse.

I'd love to find a solution...

I have 2 monitors connected to my 2x DVI ported GPU.

1 VGA monitor using DVI to VGA and 1 HDMI using DVI to HDMI block.

They both work just fine post update!

D.

I have 2 monitors connected to my 2x DVI ported GPU.

1 VGA monitor using DVI to VGA and 1 HDMI using DVI to HDMI block.

They both work just fine post update!

D.

So could it be that its an issue specific to the same family of video cards that the 9800 GT is part of? I am going to grab a GTX260 after work and see if that solves the problem.

Have you done anything special with yuor DSDT regarding video?

Have a "still waiting for root device" stopper.

No idea why but time will tell me :(

I have my /Extra/Extensions kext for IOATAFamily and JMicronATA I think they not compatible with the new /System/Extension/system.kext I guess.

Got the same error, will check if I have any of those kexts and see if it works! Did you find a solution yet?

So could it be that its an issue specific to the same family of video cards that the 9800 GT is part of? I am going to grab a GTX260 after work and see if that solves the problem.

Have you done anything special with yuor DSDT regarding video?

Nothing to my DSDT at all.

kril in post 129 seems to be a OK with his 260gtx but dodusman in post 137 has problems with his 250 using DVI to VGA.

I wouldn't have thought there much diferance between a 260gtx and 250gts but i could be wrong!

D

Update worked for me, no problems. Details below.

First, ask yourself why you need to update right now.... If your system is working perfectly, then maybe you really do not need to do the update. Wait a week or two, and see what happens for others.

If you are going to do the update now, ALWAYS keep a second install on your system. I always have at least two disks with a OSX install, one a mirror backup of the other. If one system fails after some update or other disaster, I can boot into the other disk and fix things. Always install new updates on your second, backup disk and test them before installing on your main system disk.

That said (and I have been playing with hacked OSX since 10.4.4, and running OSX as my exclusive system since 10.5.1), Snow Leopard with a vanilla install is running perfectly for me -- could not be better or more stable. Period.

This update from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 went smoothly, no problems found on my system. But given the variations in DSDT files, and variations in installed extra .kext on different systems, there is no guarantee it will work for you.

My method:

System: EP45 UDP3R e8500 overclocked at 3.8G. Cham 2 with Asere 1.9 boot (the best I boot file I have tried).

GraphicsEnabler=Yes with 8400GS video

Properly patched DSDT, including USB patches. No LAN or Graphics patches in DSDT.

My /Extra/Extensions folder includes:

AHCIPortinjector

Disabler

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStrageInjector

LegacyHDA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

I removed from my Extra folder the Sleepenabler.kext before update. It will cause KP if you do not remove it!

Downloaded and ran the 10.6.3 Delta update -- and I advise downloading the update package instead of using Software Update.

Rebooted with no problems. 889a Audio working without any changes to /E/E LegacyHDA.kext No USB problems, Airport and all else working.

Added back SleepEnabler.kext patched for 10.6.3 (download link is noted in above posts), and ran Kext Utility. Reboot. With new SleepEnabler.kext, sleep working perfectly -- and I use it all the time.

Benchmark scores unchanged, except for slightly improved graphics scores in Xbench.

But really, guys, this update fixes little things that probably do not need fixing on your system... So, do not rush. Try it first on a backup install on a second system disk.

I kept thinking I would buy a MacPro this year. But my hack is now just too solid. I simply cannot convince myself there is benefit in the upgrade to pure Apple. If Apple every offers a box that will hold four disks, run a middle of the road quad processor, and sell of $1600, I will buy it! I sure as heck will never again run Microsoft on a home machine -- only run Windows in a VMFusion session, with the network connection off.

First, ask yourself why you need to update right now.... If your system is working perfectly, then maybe you really do not need to do the update. Wait a week or two, and see what happens for others.

bloody good point ... ! :(

well…after update it to 10.6.3 my dvd palyer with green screen problem in nvidia g105m is resolved and I'm happy with it :(.

But there is something problem with opengl 3.0 support, cause when I tried test with Opengl Extension Viewer, and for result is still failed.