10.6.3 Released !

commissio

293 posts in this topic

You mean a legacy that doesn't need an edited kext?

The modified kext works for me (Aspire 5920), but I still need the legacy kext I used in 10.6.2.

Argh .. i removed my legacy kext .. i'll put it right back! EDIT - working !! :P

Yes I mean some kind of legacy kext? I guess this isn't possible as it's a bin edit?

D

Yes mate, same board, and bad thing is ALC888s doesn't work with AppleHDA, argh, is anyone here can share 10.6.2 LegacyHDA?

have you read any of this thread .. ?

read post 57 by oldnapalm !

Your AppleHDA kext seems not working even though the device is listed in System Profiler. Can you tell me step by step how to modify the AppleHDA and what do you mean by 'still need the legacy kext in 10.6.2"?

You mean a legacy that doesn't need an edited kext?

The modified kext works for me (Aspire 5920), but I still need the legacy kext I used in 10.6.2.

For Atom users,

To make patched kernel(only 32bit),just run following two command

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x25\x00\x00\x0f\x00\xc1\xe8\x10\xa2|\x25\x00\x00\x0f\x00\x31\xc0\x90\xa2|g' /mach_kernel

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x25\xf0\x00\x00\x00\xc1\xe8\x04\xa2|\x25\xf0\x00\x00\x00\xb0\x0f\x90\xa2|g' /mach_kernel

Before patching, you should backup vanilla kernel.

Still quite on the fence about installing this one! Particularly since 10.6.2 seems to be working OK. Just to help me decide, what are the current issues in total? I seem to be seeing complaints of the following:

1 - Sleepenabler causes KP (easy fix - remove Sleepenabler.kext)

2 - USB devices may not work at all anymore, meaning no keyboard/mouse with which to fix the problems. Alternatively, USB devices may not function after waking from sleep. (Related to AppleHPET.kext ?)

3 - Sound may fail with older AppleHDA and/or VooDooHDA kext (fix seems to be an updated AppleHDA.kext)

4 - HDDs may show up as removable media instead of actual hardmounted drives.

I've also seen some grumblings about non-specific 'black screen' errors.

Is there anything else I should prepare myself for before attempting to patch up to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2? Should I use the combo updater, or system-included software updater?

Sorry for all the questions, just not sure what to do. Thanks in advance!

What would you use for the ALC889a?

And which file in the AppleHDA binary requires the edit?

Thanks.

ALC889a users reported it's still working after the update, using the same legacy kext

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

The binary to edit is AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA but for you I believe it's not necessary.

I downloaded both files by oldnapalm but just one to make sure that they work on my board

have you read any of this thread .. ?

read post 57 by oldnapalm !

Use mine

From what Iunderstand is you keep this file in E/E and replace the AppleHDA.kext with the edited one, followed by repair of permission

Yes mate, same board, and bad thing is ALC888s doesn't work with AppleHDA, argh, is anyone here can share 10.6.2 LegacyHDA?

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

Neither sound nor sleep is working for me. G p35-ds3l

ALC888 no longer works with LegacyHDA after update, you have to edit AppleHDA binary and replace 8508EC10 by 8808EC10. Here is the modified kext http://www.mediafire.com/?kjxxm4whdzu

About SleepEnabler, remove it and install 10.6.3 version http://www.mediafire.com/?jzjz0izwm23

I got it working finally. Here is the step:

Copy the AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Use Kext Utility to repair permission of /System/Library/Extensions

In your Extra/Extensions folder, make sure you still have your LegacyHDA.kext there, do NOT remove it

Drag Extra/Extensions to Kext Utility to repair its permission

Restart your computer and it works, it took me time to figure out

Neither sound nor sleep is working for me. G p35-ds3l

WORKED! I dunno what fixed it. Cause I had an old kext utility, updated it cause it was failing. But figured disk utility repair permissions was enough.... guess not or maybe it was your last step... i never did that before "

Drag Extra/Extensions to Kext Utility to repair its permission" Which created a extensions.mkext in my extra folder, do i need that? Never had it before. Oh well im happy to have sound.

I can live without sleep, unless it works now too lol

thanks!

I got it working finally. Here is the step:

Copy the AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Use Kext Utility to repair permission of /System/Library/Extensions

In your Extra/Extensions folder, make sure you still have your LegacyHDA.kext there, do NOT remove it

Drag Extra/Extensions to Kext Utility to repair its permission

Restart your computer and it works, it took me time to figure out

forgot to remove sleepEnabler and now it kp'ed. how do i remove the file, safe mode, command prompt equivalent?

Boot your machine with -s

Should be in one of the following folders /extra/extensions or /system/library/extensions

cd to either folder

rm -r sleepenabler.kext

Good to hear, by default if you launch kext utility, it will look and fix /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra/Extensions automatically. In some special cases, like you install Extra onto a separate parition, then you still need to drag and drop it ont kext utility. it's highly recommended.

WORKED! I dunno what fixed it. Cause I had an old kext utility, updated it cause it was failing. But figured disk utility repair permissions was enough.... guess not or maybe it was your last step... i never did that before "

Drag Extra/Extensions to Kext Utility to repair its permission" Which created a extensions.mkext in my extra folder, do i need that? Never had it before. Oh well im happy to have sound.

I can live without sleep, unless it works now too lol

thanks!

cant get it to boot with -s... tried with -f... still kps at SleepEnabler. i'm using chameleon v2.0-rc3

Boot your machine with -s

Should be in one of the following folders /extra/extensions or /system/library/extensions

cd to either folder

rm -r sleepenabler.kext

I’m using ThinkPad X60 and upgrade to 10.6.3. After using 10.6.3 SleepEnabler.kext I’m able to sleep but when I wake up Mac, the screen backlight doesn’t turn on. I can see the system has been wake but the screen backlight just won’t turn on.

Anybody can help?