10.6.3 Released !

commissio

293 posts in this topic

Oh no the update killed my install! I have been using snow for six months with zero problems, upgraded 10.6.0>10.6.1>10.6.2 with no problems, just ran update for 10.6.3 and now I get this on bootup:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>

IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for boot device....

I'm on a dell vostro 410, you can see my exact setup because I wrote this guide six months ago after i set it up: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187828

E/E has:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I have a suspicion it has something to do with AppleIntelPIIXATA? Does anyone have any advice? I miss my hackintosh!

preview app is broken

Same for me. Installed 10,6.3 on Dell D420 where everything was working ok before. Essentially the problem is when you try to view a photo, it loads but nothing actually shows on the screen. Same thing with iPhoto.

Abput my MAC tells me I have an Nvidia GPU, this is wrong, but not sure what the problem is... I'm very new with this so have no idea how to fix.

Upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - no issues. My procedure:

1) Disconnect all externals except mouse, keyboard, and monitor

2) Repair permissions

3) Restart

4) Install Mac OS 10.6.3 Combo Update

5) Restart

6) Repair permissions

Done! Nothing else required - everything still works! See my hardware signature below for configuration.

As far as I can tell no Apple applications or Utilities were touched. Several things were updated in the System Folder, including a few extensions in the attachment below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=69026

I have 2 monitors connected to my 2x DVI ported GPU.

1 VGA monitor using DVI to VGA and 1 HDMI using DVI to HDMI block.

They both work just fine post update!

D.

I only have HDMI dual monitors so i get the black screen with my 8800GT.

If anyone has a solution (other than "use VGA adapter", yerk !)... :P

The same problem was present with 10.6.2 and HDMI monitors.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326392

I can now identify clearly the incompatibility :

- If you boot 10.6.2 with a 1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 16:9 TV, plugged as main or secondary display,

you will get a black screen.

- If you plug it while the computer is running it will freeze.

All we had to do was that:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326417

I can confirm that replacing NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) with versions from 10.6.1 (6.0.2) SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!

I "found" the two 10.6.1 kexts here and the NV40Hal for the older cards here. :P

Did you try it in 10.6.3 to see if it works?

Edit: I just tried it and it didn't work out for me.. Blue screen (instead of blank) and then just hangs...

I believe the issue is specific to HDMI out. If you are using an DVI to HDMI cable with an HDMI monitor or TV then the display locks. (i.e. Blank / black screen / power save mode) Unplugging the HDMI after it has locked does not resolve the issue. The only way to recover is to reboot the system with either a DVI only Monitor or a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the VGA input on any monitor of your choice.

I have a dual screen setup.. one is DVI only and the other is HDMI only with a DVI to HDMI adapter on a GeForce 9800 GT and both screens lock on boot if the HDMI monitor is attached. Unplugging the HDMI and the system boots fine... attaching VGA to the HDMI monitor also works but the video quality is significantly worse.

I'd love to find a solution...

Are you saying that this update is all about HDMI? On an ION ITX, I have VGA and DVI with my monitor plugged into VGA. My HDMI output is not used. Do I have to switch over to DVI to my monitor and disable HDMI?

Yeah I hope so.

If I don't use any GFX driver (in DSDT or in EFI Strings), I can boot with HDMI but of course in 800x600 mode without QE/CI.

So there really is a problem between G92 cards OSX drivers, and HDMI.

Can anyone confirm that HDMI works in 10.6.3 with another video card ?

Update went smooth. No issues. Rig as per my signature.

1. Deleted SleepEnabler.kext

2. Backed up Extensions folder just in case I would need it

3. Downloaded the 10.6.3 Combo update and applied the update

4. Reboot

5. Boot with verbose to make sure no obvious issues.

6. Audio working with updated AppleHDA.kext using LegacyHDA.kext

-- Abhi